The best female singer

Sbbruin

In fairness those are all resale prices. All the shows sold out in one day last week which I missed. Supposedly she’s getting $2M per show. Fri/Sat nights, 4 months.

I hear you on screens, surround sounds, etc. But live music is different IMO. Plus to me she has a generational type voice. Just insanely good.

But I ain’t payin no $3500 for no concert tickets.

Not sure what she's wearing here, but Alanis has to be considered in this discussion...

This is 3 months ago.  This song is such a bitch to sing to begin with, and the audio is not great, but she is still on her game. 

I think this is one of the greatest female rock songs ever written, sang, and produced.  Just digs into your back...

On 12/13/2021 at 11:21 AM, jimmyjazz said:

If people will pay that, good for her, I guess.  I find it interesting that in the modern era of relatively affordable surround sound rigs and excellent big screen TVs that artists can pull that kind of bank, but so be it.

I mean, I go to VERY few sporting events any more, especially since my season tickets to UT football magically disappeared after the 2005 season.  Baseball?  Sure.  Post-covid basketball, yeah, if we ever get there.  Otherwise, I'm watching in the comfort of my home.

Truth. Those prices are insane. Who knows how that residency goes. Shes on my bucket list of artists to see before I die - the list is basically her and Stapleton, who are both way too big for it to ever be feasible.

I take solace in this youtube video, which I consider to be the finest single-song performance that I know of. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...
Truth. Those prices are insane. Who knows how that residency goes. Shes on my bucket list of artists to see before I die - the list is basically her and Stapleton, who are both way too big for it to ever be feasible.

I take solace in this youtube video, which I consider to be the finest single-song performance that I know of. 

I have always admired Adele’s voice and style but haven’t ever found myself sitting down and choosing to listen to her albums. But holy shit this song. And this performance. Unreal. Thanks for finding that.

I love watching great artists in the studio. There are some great videos of the War on Drugs out there (not to derail the thread at all).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I was about to start a new thread introducing this girl and her band. Seriously one of the best blues/rock voices I’ve heard. Danielle Nicole, she also plays bass and has won awards for it.

You have to listen to this, she blows me away, performing Kenny Wayne Shephards, “Save Me”. Brandon Millers guitar work is off the charts as well.

On 7/13/2021 at 2:42 PM, Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand said:

Honestly I know little about her (which qualifies her as best female singer evar, along with the others I posted whom are also the best evar). I just remembered I really dug her voice and this being a super catchy tune that played over the end credits of Drowning Mona. I believe this was orignally attributed to a band called 16 Tons (tho I could be wrong on that) and eventually became posted on the intertrons under Amy Milan. 

16 Tons sounds like Vic's fantasy reverse gang-bang. 

On 12/13/2021 at 9:35 AM, Trey3216 said:

Not sure what she's wearing here, but Alanis has to be considered in this discussion...

This is 3 months ago.  This song is such a bitch to sing to begin with, and the audio is not great, but she is still on her game. 

I think this is one of the greatest female rock songs ever written, sang, and produced.  Just digs into your back...

If you haven't seen the Alanis documentary, you have to do it.  
Taylor from the Foos was the drummer on her big tour, and he said that they were all absolutely swimming in pussy.

And for some reminders, two of the greatest live vocal performances I can recall in the last decade or more, especially Brandi's.  I mean, she takes pitch control and range to new heights, she just absolutely fucking nails it, and just when you think she can't possibly go up a third or so, yup, she does:

. . . and if you ever thought Hannah Montana couldn't sing, disabuse yourself of that notion right now, live from the ACL Fest, just an over the top master class in how to bring an old Austin artist back home:

• Like 1

And for some reminders, two of the greatest live vocal performances I can recall in the last decade or more, especially Brandi's.  I mean, she takes pitch control and range to new heights, she just absolutely fucking nails it, and just when you think she can't possibly go up a third or so, yup, she does:
[/url]  
. . . and if you ever thought Hannah Montana couldn't sing, disabuse yourself of that notion right now, live from the ACL Fest, just an over the top master class in how to bring an old Austin artist back home:

Miley is the real deal, no qualifiers needed.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I was about to start a new thread introducing this girl and her band. Seriously one of the best blues/rock voices I’ve heard. Danielle Nicole, she also plays bass and has won awards for it.

You have to listen to this, she blows me away, performing Kenny Wayne Shephards, “Save Me”. Brandon Millers guitar work is off the charts as well.

Wow i forgot to post the video. Just watched it again tonight. This performance is off the charts, it’s perfect

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Not the best technical singer...  but she stops me in my tracks whenever I hear her.  Instantly recognizable, iconic, talented, and fierce

Page 5?  Fore shame!

Sinnerman

I put a spell on you

Mississippi goddam

Edited by locodos
  • Like 2

On 12/13/2021 at 11:35 AM, Trey3216 said:

Dee Snyder can still bring it. 

Edited by Deej

9 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

Thread title should be changed to "The best female singer NOT named Aretha Franklin" and every single one of you knows this. 

Of course you are correct.  I mean, Evanescence girl?  American Idol girl?  Yikes.

Aretha would kick their asses and then pull out a blade or a pistol just for visual emphasis.

On 11/16/2022 at 1:45 PM, jimmyjazz said:

Of course you are correct.  I mean, Evanescence girl?  American Idol girl?  Yikes.

Aretha would kick their asses and then pull out a blade or a pistol just for visual emphasis.

I haven't really scanned the whole thread, but someone posted the Evanescence girl? lol.

Not just best female singer, but probably the top three singers of any persuasion I've ever heard in my life are Aretha Franklin, Ronnie Spector and Ann Wilson.

2 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

You didn't see her at The Blue Note in NYC.

I get the joke, but I really did, in October, 1984. She opened with "Summertime."  I also saw her in 1986 or 1987 at the Paramount in Austin.

FWIW, I also saw Nancy Wilson at the Blue Note.  I sat across the table from Lyle Lovett's manager.  She was almost as good as Sarah Vaughan.

Edited by Hornius Emeritus
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/20/2022 at 10:16 AM, GhostOfTomJoad said:

I'm sure that somewhere in this thread Annie Lennox has been given her props. Love her voice.

I've been on an Annie Lennox binge lately. I didn't like her in the Eurythmics, but like her solo work. She's got a really distinctive voice

One of my favorite songs by Annie Lennox. Weird video and all.

Here's her with someone who's got an equally distinctive voice.