Austin Regional Thread

Horny Bull

Looking at Arizona State against the better Pac 12 teams: 

Arizona #1 in the Pac 12 won the series 3 games to 1 vs Arizona State 

Oregon #2 in the Pac 12 won the series 2 to games to 1 vs Arizona State

Stanford #3 in the Pac 12 won the series 2 to games to 1 vs Arizona State

UCLA #4 in the Pac 12 won the series 3 to game 0 vs Arizona State

Arizona State went 3-10 against the best Pac 12 teams. 

• Hook 'Em 1

38 minutes ago, Lobo said:

I thought the 2018 Regional weather was good.  The Supers were miserable because we played 3:00p every day against Tenn. Tech for TV.  And every inning of every game was in the sun in our seats.  This rain doesn't look like a deluge but lightning delays are a pain in the ass.  

Holy shit that 2018 super hot.  My daughter just about passed out, but wouldn’t leave her seat.  I ended up taking off my T-shirt, soaking it in one of their ice water tubs,  and making her a turban out of it.

Guest Lobo

I rise now to make the obligatory inquiry we're all thinking.  I think 2018 was the first post-season we hosted since NCAA started allowing beer sales in the open stands (before that, only in suites or the club hospitality tents).  I remember they set up a "club tent" over in LF where some of those food trucks are.  We had to go hide our beers in shame so the cameras wouldn't see them on TV at your seats, and no drinks in/out.  It was so damn hot in those things during the Tenn. Tech afternoon series because it also had flaps on the sides but was open on the backside.  Anyway, it was miserable but the cold beer felt good.  

Anybody know the story on beer sales this time around?  I'm sure things have changed in the last 3 years since we hosted a post-season series.  Something about NCAA sanctioned events has always presented its own set of rules when it came to alcohol sales.  

Also, on Arizona State.  They also split a series with post-season GCU, 1-1.  So yeah, the more I look at their injury-riddled season, I am not quite as worried about them as I was this morning given how they fare against good competition...particularly on the road.  But their lineup is just so damn deep, there's 8 guys on there that cause trouble...no easy outs.  

Edited by Lobo

Guest Lobo
37 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Oh god, does this mean we're getting Lowell?

maybe some concession was made that we can broadcast our first two games on our network but we can't have any "homer" broadcasters in the booth.  I mean most of those baseball postseason teams are plug-n-play, if they know how to call a game with the ESPN2/U crew, they can figure it out with the LHN producers.  The Mouse does a pretty damn good job of human resource integration across multiple platforms. 

I'd love it to have Moreland on the call, but it may be two no-names from Bristol...or worse...nearby Fairfield.  ESPN does want the potential Sunday night championship game on 2 or U for more eyes.  They wouldn't let Lowell anywhere near that booth, so maybe it's a whole outside booth duo all weekend.  

6 hours ago, chase25 said:

Texas got a pretty favorable draw, one of the easier regionals in the tournament so the committee in turn paired us with Florida who is not a 15 seed but the committee was going to pair us with Florida whether we were #2,3, or 4. All in all should be fun.

I imagine we throw Kolby game one and the bullpen arms we use will probably be dependent on how close the game is. If it is close you will likely see the usual, if not then probably see Shifflet, Cobb, Gordon, and Southard. 

Then if it were up to me I would throw Madden if it is Fairfield, Stevens/Hansen if it is Arizona State. Fairfield ain't seen anything like Madden in the MAAC or likely in their baseball careers. I prefer Stevens/Hansen in bigger games, they have shown to be better than Madden during bigger moments throughout the season. That being said I imagine Pierce just rolls with Madden game 2, Stevens game 3, and Hansen game 4.

Wright State against Tennessee and Mcneese St. against TCU are probably the two most likely 4 seeds to pull off upsets in the openers. Wright State is 35-11 and is a pretty salty club. Although they are 0-2 vs Vanderbilt and 0-3 vs Alabama, 3 of those 5 losses were by 1 run and they are hitting .342 as a team... Mcneese is going to throw a 5'10 lefty (with 106 Ks in 89.2 IP (.212 AVG against)) which has been TCU's kryptonite all year.  

Agree with all of this but Madden goes game 2 no matter what. Stevens and Hansen(who could give us an inning or 2 game 1 in relief and turn around and start in the final game) are the perfect 1-2 winners bracket punch. Beat Tristan 3-2 eh? Cool. Do it again against Hansen. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, zlavydra said:

Last time he did that was April 11 against K State, but I would hope he could at least come close to that against Southern.

Yeah and he looked alright Saturday for the first 4 and a 1/3 or so against a much better team. Just keep the fucking ball down and let Faltine and our outfield go to work 

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, VirginiaLonghorn said:

So you’d rather have a talking head over two former major leaguers who provide competent PBP and insightful analysis?

Craig Way is pretty damn good baseball pbp guy. Dont love the Sunday Thornhill add, but his regular partner is good.  Our regular LHN baseball crew is outstanding.  I think the pose above is more about having Craig piped in vs Lowell and co.

4 minutes ago, jdhorn92 said:

Craig Way is pretty damn good baseball pbp guy. Don't love the Sunday Thornhill add, but his regular partner is good.  Our regular LHN baseball crew is outstanding.  I think the pose above is more about having Craig piped in vs Lowell and co.

Ahh good point. Mooreland and Swindell are very solid. Craig piped for backup works for me!

3 minutes ago, jdhorn92 said:

Craig Way is pretty damn good baseball pbp guy. Dont love the Sunday Thornhill add, but his regular partner is good.  Our regular LHN baseball crew is outstanding.  I think the pose above is more about having Craig piped in vs Lowell and co.

No disagreement with anything you said .. if keeping Galindo from polluting the broadcast was the intent.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Nightfly said:

I don't know why they don't pipe the radio audio in for the LHN broadcasts. That would be perfect for me. 

17 minutes ago, jdhorn92 said:

Thornhill needs time.

Guys if you don't let Gallindo in the booth, who is gonna keep us updated on the kids eating cotton candy in the stands? .

Maybe if Lowell wasn't constantly worried about what fans are doing in the stands, he'd pay attention to the game and wouldn't refer to short pop flies to RF as "ripped'

10 minutes ago, TornACL said:

Guys if you don't let Gallindo in the booth, who is gonna keep us updated on the kids eating cotton candy in the stands? .

Maybe if Lowell wasn't constantly worried about what fans are doing in the stands, he'd pay attention to the game and wouldn't refer to short pop flies to RF as "ripped' a jackass, he wouldn't be such a jackass.

As Tater Salad's brother, Egg said, "You can't fix jackass."

• Hook 'Em 1

17 hours ago, chase25 said:

Texas got a pretty favorable draw, one of the easier regionals in the tournament so the committee in turn paired us with Florida who is not a 15 seed but the committee was going to pair us with Florida whether we were #2,3, or 4. All in all should be fun.

I imagine we throw Kolby game one and the bullpen arms we use will probably be dependent on how close the game is. If it is close you will likely see the usual, if not then probably see Shifflet, Cobb, Gordon, and Southard. 

Then if it were up to me I would throw Madden if it is Fairfield, Stevens/Hansen if it is Arizona State. Fairfield ain't seen anything like Madden in the MAAC or likely in their baseball careers. I prefer Stevens/Hansen in bigger games, they have shown to be better than Madden during bigger moments throughout the season. That being said I imagine Pierce just rolls with Madden game 2, Stevens game 3, and Hansen game 4.

Wright State against Tennessee and Mcneese St. against TCU are probably the two most likely 4 seeds to pull off upsets in the openers. Wright State is 35-11 and is a pretty salty club. Although they are 0-2 vs Vanderbilt and 0-3 vs Alabama, 3 of those 5 losses were by 1 run and they are hitting .342 as a team... Mcneese is going to throw a 5'10 lefty (with 106 Ks in 89.2 IP (.212 AVG against)) which has been TCU's kryptonite all year.  

You're overselling Florida.

• Hook 'Em 1

49 minutes ago, VirginiaLonghorn said:

So you’d rather have a talking head over two former major leaguers who provide competent PBP and insightful analysis?

I would not, in a million years, refer to Craig Way as a "talking head".  He is a fantastic PBP guy - way better than Keith Moreland, who I love - and a damn good analyst, not to mention a font of knowledge of all things Longhorn. 

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

You're overselling Florida.

Ehh I know you have your chart with data etc but they are better than a 15 seed. Certainly would rather play East Carolina or Oregon.

Florida has been really good at home and has looked really bad on the road. 

The level of competition they see week to week isn’t remotely similar to an ECU. The tournament is an equalizer so sometimes all you have to do is be better than a team once and you may not see them again but I’d rather play a team that’s best wins are over Charlotte and a .500 North Carolina than a team that has taken 2 of 3 from both Vanderbilt and Ole Miss. I’m not scared of Florida but as the 2 seed you deserve to get ECU who went 41-15 in the AAC not Florida who went 38-20 (17-13) in the SEC

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

It's not just my chart with data. Florida is about the 15th best team in the country.

https://masseyratings.com/cbase/compare.htm

And it's not surprising that you're basing it on the fact that you also oversell the SEC. This is baseball, your conference doesn't really make a shit. Now Florida might be a bit better than East Carolina but that's a gnat's ass difference between them if there is one.

19 minutes ago, chase25 said:

Ehh I know you have your chart with data etc but they are better than a 15 seed. Certainly would rather play East Carolina or Oregon.

Florida has been really good at home and has looked really bad on the road. 

Uhhhh, so why the consternation?  If we play them, they will be on the road.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Upgrayedd said:

Looking forward to whatever excuse Tracy Smith comes up with for a poor regional showing.

Do you closely follow ASU baseball ?    Please entlighten us.

Saw a few innings of the UCLA games on TV.   Not their day.   Miss the rivalry of the Gus/Jim Brock years. (perhaps before your time) 🙂

10 minutes ago, torre said:

Do you closely follow ASU baseball ?    Please entlighten us.

Saw a few innings of the UCLA games on TV.   Not their day.   Miss the rivalry of the Gus/Jim Brock years. (perhaps before your time) 🙂

Admittedly, I don't follow as closely as I used to.  I know he has a losing overall record in the PAC (ugh).  He seems to have taken one of the crown jewels of ASU athletics into a pattern of year after year mediocrity.  My buddies piss and moan to no end about him - I've somewhat rotated to ambivalance - which is not unique in the fan base.

I miss the Gus/Brock rivalry as well.  Getting rid of Murphy was the biggest mistake Lisa Love made (and she made a lot).  Hiring Smith may turn out to be Ray Anderson's biggest error.  I think the acceptance of that (or lack thereof) is the only reason he is still here. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Huckleberry said:

It's not just my chart with data. Florida is about the 15th best team in the country.

https://masseyratings.com/cbase/compare.htm

And it's not surprising that you're basing it on the fact that you also oversell the SEC. This is baseball, your conference doesn't really make a shit. Now Florida might be a bit better than East Carolina but that's a gnat's ass difference between them if there is one.

It isn’t overselling, it is more or less a fact most years; however, what happens is an NCAA tournament is played at the end of the year in which if you lose 2 games in the span of 4 days your season is over which would eliminate just about every college baseball team in the country off the top of my head at some point in the regular season as even Arkansas lost 3 games in a row this year. Fairfield who only lost 3 games this year also managed to lose two of those 3 in the span of 3 days.

Fresno State won it all in 2008 as a 4 seed, it’s a double elimination tournament anything could happen but you want your odds to get there to be as good as possible and you EARN that as the #2 overall seed. Texas should not be scared of Florida I don’t know why it keeps getting interpreted as such, but is slight horse shit that they sandwiched Florida in between the other top 3 sec hosts in order to avoid any conference matchups between hosts in supers when Florida IMO is better than Oregon and East Carolina. 

The Big 12 is very good and holds there own in the tournament as well as the regular season a lot of years as it relates to the SEC. This year though they top 4 teams in the Big 12 are 5-11 against the SEC this year. As a conference the Big 12 was 11-13 I believe with the middle to bottom of our conference beating up on Auburn and Missouri, and Oklahoma getting a midweek upset win over Arky.

EDIT: I’m fine with the draw we got, just hate the blatantly obvious politics that take place every year.

Edited by chase25
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Congrats on a hell of a season Horns. I'll enjoy watching and following along with the regional play. 

Can't help but notice if both teams take care of business, what the opening round game in OMAHA would be.. but lots of ball to play before then. 

• Hook 'Em 3

16 minutes ago, jeevsie said:

The describing of the uniforms would be a little awkward.

Ha! That and how the players spell their last names. 

Somewhat related, do you guys know if there is still an in-stadium radio frequency to listen to the game when you at the game or tailgating nearby? One without a radio delay?

1 hour ago, chase25 said:

It isn’t overselling, it is more or less a fact most years; however, what happens is an NCAA tournament is played at the end of the year in which if you lose 2 games in the span of 4 days your season is over which would eliminate just about every college baseball team in the country off the top of my head at some point in the regular season as even Arkansas lost 3 games in a row this year. Fairfield who only lost 3 games this year also managed to lose two of those 3 in the span of 3 days.

Fresno State won it all in 2008 as a 4 seed, it’s a double elimination tournament anything could happen but you want your odds to get there to be as good as possible and you EARN that as the #2 overall seed. Texas should not be scared of Florida I don’t know why it keeps getting interpreted as such, but is slight horse shit that they sandwiched Florida in between the other top 3 sec hosts in order to avoid any conference matchups between hosts in supers when Florida IMO is better than Oregon and East Carolina. 

The Big 12 is very good and holds there own in the tournament as well as the regular season a lot of years as it relates to the SEC. This year though they top 4 teams in the Big 12 are 5-11 against the SEC this year. As a conference the Big 12 was 11-13 I believe with the middle to bottom of our conference beating up on Auburn and Missouri, and Oklahoma getting a midweek upset win over Arky.

EDIT: I’m fine with the draw we got, just hate the blatantly obvious politics that take place every year.

How much adderall do you take?

• Haha 1

Guest Lobo
12 minutes ago, dittohead said:

Sorry if already posted... 

Does anyone know what the Saturday times look like for the brackets?

Thanks in advance.

Our bracket?  We will beat Southern on Friday night, spoiler alert.  Means we play the ASU/Fairfield winner on Saturday evening at 6:00p.  Loser's bracket is at 1:00p.  Expect both games Friday, as well as our Saturday night game, to be on the LHN.  

This site, for all its flaws, does a pretty job of updating all games in real time and updates you on when the next game in that regional will be:

https://www.ncaa.com/brackets/baseball/d1/2021

I have it on in the background at work on Friday/Saturday like clockwork each year.  Make sure you set it to your local time, otherwise you get the time of that regional's zone which can be annoying.