the USFL is back

Sandman

19 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

No idea. All I know is he still has the same mediocre QB who at times looks like maybe he can cut it but, when it comes down to it, he can’t. Never found.

Also, what the hell just happened? I mean, the game was basically over but I thought there were still a couple minutes on the clock when my local NBC affiliate just cut to the news.

Also, *Lulz. 

Shea fucking Patterson hot garbage ass trash since michigan. Had black Nico Collins and DPJ there and stuck 

On 5/22/2022 at 6:36 PM, Bogeywon said:

Shea fucking Patterson hot garbage ass trash since michigan. Had black Nico Collins and DPJ there and stuck 

Shea Patterson was cut by the Michigan Panthers and will now be a backup QB for the New Orleans Breakers.

https://www.maizenbrew.com/football/23142877/michigan-wolverines-quarterback-shea-patterson-cut-joins-new-orleans-breakers-usfl-football

Lulz. Jeff Fisher is now the proud owner of the USFL’s first 1-6 team. Made the decision to attempt a 54 yard field goal when up by 3, 2:00 to go. Kicker missed, New Orleans had much better field position due to the miss, went on to tie it in regulation and they went on to dominate the overtime. Fuck Jeff Fisher.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Lulz. Jeff Fisher is now the proud owner of the USFL’s first 1-6 team. Made the decision to attempt a 54 yard field goal when up by 3, 2:00 to go. Kicker missed, New Orleans had much better field position due to the miss, went on to tie it in regulation and they went on to dominate the overtime. Fuck Jeff Fisher.

It’s a shame he doesn’t have a 0-7 record.
  • Hook 'Em 3

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, it’s a meaningless game. But it’s football. And there have been some nice plays.

But Tampa Bay, down 14-0 to Birmingham in the 3rd qtr, scored two TD’s and went for 2 after both of them, failing on each attempt. So now they’re down 14-12 instead of being tied at 14 all. They deserve to lose.

Next week in Canton. Go Breakers!

7 hours ago, millhouse said:

I honestly had no idea this was still a thing/still playing games

This was the last weekend of the regular season. This coming Saturday they start a 4-team playoff in Canton, OH with the championship game played on Sunday the following weekend. 

2 hours ago, lemonandaturd said:

USFL Semifinal playoff game on now.  Philly vs NJ on Fox.  Pretty good game.  It is too hot to go outside, so football on a Saturday afternoon will have to do.  

Two punt return TD’s. Pretty good game.

Philly leads 19-14 with 1:41 left. NJ has the ball.

Mike Riley is Coach of the Year in the USFL. I kind of expected it to be Skip Holtz.

Edited by WhatTheBuck

A couple other observations. On the last play of the 3rd qtr, Philly didn’t come close to getting the snap off before the play clock expired but they weren’t called for delay of game. It didn’t matter but it was egregious.

Also, earlier in the game, NJ threw a pick that was returned a long way, inside their own red zone. But there was a flag on the play for roughing the passer. One of the announcers explained why the call was made. He went up high and slammed him to the ground. Then the call was overturned and he explained why that was the right call. I fucking hate it when announcers just justify whatever call is made on the field. That’s lazy announcing. Don’t be afraid to have an opinion and point out a bad call when you see one. 

On 5/22/2022 at 5:55 AM, WhatTheBuck said:

About this. It was a reference that the announcers made to Fielding Yost’s 1905 book, Football for Player and Spectator. Skip Holtz’s Birmingham team lined up in the T formation a couple times. I think they scored a TD out of it once. Anyway, the announcers were prepared and shared this photo from the book:

480px-Yost_regular_formation_(crop).jpg

In a previous broadcast I heard a couple references to Pudge Heffelfinger. So there are some nods to football history. 

More references to Heffelfinger tonight and Holtz ran that T-formation play to score the game’s final TD. Birmingham won 31-17 and will face Philly in the championship game next Sunday.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 6/25/2022 at 10:14 PM, WhatTheBuck said:

More references to Heffelfinger tonight and Holtz ran that T-formation play to score the game’s final TD. Birmingham won 31-17 and will face Philly in the championship game next Sunday.

Wow, I come back from an adrenal crash and rebirth, and the third biggest pro team in Alabama is doing OK.

The pregame show hasn’t been bad. They finally showed some footage of players touring the Hall of Fame. They showed Jimmy Johnson addressing the teams. (From last week when there were four teams in the playoff.) Then they had some players visiting the house where Christmas Story was shot, which is a tourist attraction you can visit. One of them dressed up in pink bunny pj’s. That was pretty funny.

They next had a piece where some players went fishing on Lake Erie and caught walleye. I hope they ate it and had someone to prepare it properly. 

Oh, man. On 3rd and 7, B’ham player bobbles the catch near the sideline, spins out of one easy tackle, avoids getting pushed out of bounds by another, and gets a first down. On the next play they rush for a TD. If that’s how Philly is going to play D, they probably don’t have much of a chance.

10-3 Stallions.

I’ve been critical of announcers justifying calls made on the field. But I just saw the opposite of that. The announcers criticized the officials for not calling DPI when a ball to the Philly receiver was under thrown. The problem was that the receiver didn’t turn and make an attempt to catch the ball and the defender didn’t restrict his movement at all. It was a good no call.

Rumblin’, bumblin’, stumblin’. Bad snap, dropped passes, I was about to say I couldn’t see how Philly can win this game. Then they convert on 3rd and 16 for 27 yds, they connect on a nice TD pass, then they doink the XP off the upright.

10-9 Stallions. I still don’t like Philly’s chances, but they’re hanging in there.