the USFL is back

Sandman

27 minutes ago, Bullneck said:

Dammit! 

It was a decent game. The Philly D stepped up and held Birmingham scoreless in the 2nd half until midway through the 4th qtr. Philly came back and took a 3 pt lead, then got an interception but couldn’t do anything with it. Their QB got injured, B’ham drove for a score but missed the XP so were only up by 3. Then Philly’s backup QB threw a pick 6 and that was the deciding score. Philly managed to score another TD but it was too little too late.

They’ve announced that there will be another USFL season next year and not every regular season game will be played in Birmingham. We’ll have to wait and see if and how that turns out. But I’ve found some entertainment from it during a time of the year when there aren’t other sports being played that I care all that much about.

All of these players have aspirations of making it to the NFL, or in some cases back to the NFL. A few of them might get a chance. 

• Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

They’ve announced that there will be another USFL season next year and not every regular season game will be played in Birmingham.

This is good. As much as I liked having a pet sports league a long walk from my house, they've got to take the training wheels off and get local support for all the teams.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

This is good. As much as I liked having a pet sports league a long walk from my house, they've got to take the training wheels off and get local support for all the teams.

I’ve got nothing against Skip Holtz and was surprised he didn’t have more success in the college game. But if there was any team in the USFL who had a home field advantage, it was Birmingham and only Birmingham. (Go Blazers, btw.) That just didn’t seem fair so I was naturally inclined to root against them.

A lot of good that did me.  :D

• Drool 1

That's a bit of an interesting question as to whether Birmingham actually had a greater home filed advantage than in a normal league. I don't know what the attendance breakdowns for each game are, but there weren't a ton of huge crowds for many of them that might have help with virtual home field with a home crowd. Every team trained and played in the same place, and lived in the same place throughout the season. None of them had to travel. I might be more inclined to say it was a decent achievement to be the pretend local team in the same location as all of its competitors but still outclass the entire league with the best record and the championship. 

I'm not sure how much "rooting for the laundry" was really a factor, as Jerry Seinfeld would put it. If they weren't the best team they wouldn't have had as an impressive record as they did.

9 hours ago, RDCanecutter said:

That why I was a bit surprised to read this:

The USFL will accomplish a feat no spring football league not affiliated with the NFL has reached since the original the league that bears its name -- have a second season. Executive producer Eric Shanks told Sports Business Journal the USFL will return for a second season and all eight teams from its inaugural season in 2022 will also be back. 

The league will continue to hold office in Birmingham, the city where the USFL played all of its regular-season games in 2022. The central hub of Birmingham won't be the only city where USFL teams will play next season, as the league plans to have all eight teams play in two to four markets in 2023 -- with the eventual plan for all eight teams to play in their respective market. 

They actually plan on playing all of next season in 2-4 markets, not all 8 markets. I dont really get the fucking point of this league. At all. 

• 6 months later...

Wait, they still aren't doing home games?

I think that's going to sink this.  The USFL needs to somewhat endear itself to the local market.  I get that the idea is it's mostly a TV product, like the bowl games are at this point, but part of what makes the bowl games fun is that you know those schools and their identities and fanbases.  That's a big part of why people bother leaving the channel.

1 minute ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Wait, they still aren't doing home games?

I think that's going to sink this.  The USFL needs to somewhat endear itself to the local market.  I get that the idea is it's mostly a TV product, like the bowl games are at this point, but part of what makes the bowl games fun is that you know those schools and their identities and fanbases.  That's a big part of why people bother leaving the channel.

Yeah the Philly and Pittsburgh fans have complained about the Maulers and Stars not playing in their cities and apparently the USFL is working out a deal to figure out where they can play so each team has a home field in their respective city. Stars would have to play somewhere smaller in Philly like at UPenn because them playing at Lincoln Financial is the equivalent of Temple playing college football there. The Maulers could probably play at Heinz Field(or whatever it's called now) in Pitt.

Stallions have Legion Field in Birmingham and Showboats have the Liberty Bowl.

Houston Gamblers could play at TDECU Stadium at UH, but it would conflict part of the season with the XFL since the Houston Roughnecks play there, so maybe play at Rice Stadium? 

New Orleans Breakers could play at Tulane Stadium

New Jersey Generals if not MetLife could probably play in Piscataway at Rutgers University.

Michigan Panthers: Ford Field or if they're not based in Detroit could maybe play in the Big House in Ann Arbor? 

I thought not having home games last year was a start up thing and because of the tail end of Covid. How is it sustainable to have teams representing cities with games not played there? I watch 99% of sports in tv but I like knowing that I could go in person if I wanted and spend time with likeminded fans. Have they given another reason?

20 minutes ago, 'stache said:

I thought not having home games last year was a start up thing and because of the tail end of Covid. How is it sustainable to have teams representing cities with games not played there? I watch 99% of sports in tv but I like knowing that I could go in person if I wanted and spend time with likeminded fans. Have they given another reason?

Memphis and Birmingham will host all the games this season. They're trying to work out deals and figure out which stadiums they could use in the other cities for the other teams. 

8 minutes ago, Longboard Horn said:

Memphis and Birmingham will host all the games this season. They're trying to work out deals and figure out which stadiums they could use in the other cities for the other teams. 

Finding stadiums for the host cities seems like it should be pretty high on the list of tasks when starting a football league, especially in an area (minor leagues) that has been wrought with failure for decades. Seems to me that the big cities with teams would have a small college or super nice high school stadium to use. Do they think they are above that? It's the fucking minor leagues, nobody is going to think any less of it if its played in a high school stadium. It might actually be better since the crowds will be small and a compact stadium makes for a better atmosphere.

Edited by 'stache

5 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Finding stadiums for the host cities seems like it should be pretty high on the list of tasks when starting a football league, especially in an area (minor leagues) that has been wrought with failure for decades. Seems to me that the big cities with teams would have a small college or super nice high school stadium to use. Do they think they are above that? It's the fucking minor leagues, nobody is going to think any less of it if its played in a high school stadium. It might actually be better since the crowds will be small and a compact stadium makes for a better atmosphere.

Pretty sure they don't think that they're above that since tickets to games are only $10 per person and the playoffs and championship games are $20 each. 

20 hours ago, 'stache said:

Honestly if the TV ratings were decent (not sure what they were) they could sustain it longer like that. Travel costs sink these leagues. I don't think even 1 of them will last long once they play all home games a team's city. There definitely isn't a market for 2 of these leagues as there really isn't even a market for 1 so what they should do is join forces and create 1 16 team league that plays in 4 different city hubs but the entire point of the league is to be a live tv product. If they get decent enough ratings to sell advertising they could almost give the tickets away. Or donate a ton of them to schools and church groups and write off the $20 per ticket from their taxes (if there's a way to make that work). 

That's the only way I ever see one of these working out is if it's a purely live tv product and not geography based. Not sure if that is doable but it's the only way without an Elon Musk type willing to sink billions into this over the course of a couple of decades to keep it afloat. 

14 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

I grew up a misplaced Texan in Memphis. My dad and I went to WFL Grizzly games and then I took my son to original USFL Showboats games.

I don’t see the shithole that Memphis is these days will support this.

If those fuckers support Memphis Tigers they'll for sure support the Showboats

If those fuckers support Memphis Tigers they'll for sure support the Showboats

Dad and I went to the first WFL Grizzly game with Csonka, Kiick, and Warfield. It was awesome as their hook for attending was having the big names of Memphis music perform the anthem along with a little show, or halftime. Charlie Rich at the time was fucking huge from “Behind Closed Doors”. He was so fucking drunk that he barely got to Rockets red glare before just sliding under the piano and laying there. Finally someone went and checked on him as he was snoring.

I saw Jerry Lee Lewis, Carl Perkins, Booker T and the MGs, Carla Thomas, and a bunch of others perform at those games. (Fuck you Rufus Thomas for purposely killing your daughter’s career out of jealousy. She sang like an angel and could have been as big as Whitney Houston.

• 2 weeks later...

So now it’s 4 stadiums? And one (Canton) isn’t even a team city (home for Pittsburgh and New Jersey). I still really don’t get it, at all. If attendance doesn’t matter and it’s just tv then stick to one stadium or two. If attendance or city affiliation matters find home stadiums. Houston has a dozen high school stadiums that are nicer, more modern, and not much smaller than the relics in Birmingham and Memphis. If I lived in New Orleans what interest do I have in following a team with the city’s name but plays home games in Birmingham? If they wanted to go the tv route just give the teams names and let people choose who to cheer for based on whatever, alums on the roster, personalities, etc. I think that’s how the shitty indoor league Johnny Foosball plays in is set up. It seems limiting that the Houston Gamblers don’t play in Houston so Houstonites don’t have a huge reason to care but it still says Houston so non-Houstonites don’t have a reason either. I just don’t get it.

On 1/28/2023 at 8:42 AM, 'stache said:

So now it’s 4 stadiums? And one (Canton) isn’t even a team city (home for Pittsburgh and New Jersey). I still really don’t get it, at all. If attendance doesn’t matter and it’s just tv then stick to one stadium or two. If attendance or city affiliation matters find home stadiums. Houston has a dozen high school stadiums that are nicer, more modern, and not much smaller than the relics in Birmingham and Memphis. If I lived in New Orleans what interest do I have in following a team with the city’s name but plays home games in Birmingham? If they wanted to go the tv route just give the teams names and let people choose who to cheer for based on whatever, alums on the roster, personalities, etc. I think that’s how the shitty indoor league Johnny Foosball plays in is set up. It seems limiting that the Houston Gamblers don’t play in Houston so Houstonites don’t have a huge reason to care but it still says Houston so non-Houstonites don’t have a reason either. I just don’t get it.

Give it another season. By year 3 they'll probably have every team playing in their own city. 

• 2 months later...

It looks like there’s not even 100 people at this game.  I hear crowd noise though so either they are pumping it in or they seated people mostly on the same side they are filming from which is very dumb.  I’d guess only the XFL comes back next year.  

Edited by Hook1997
Just saw a wide shot, no way 500 ppl are at this game from what I see.

If they're just going to have fictional relationships with the cities, why not do like Korean baseball and just sell the name of the team to a corporation?

If you're going to watch the Philly Stars vs the Memphis Showboats, you'd watch the Bud Light Stars vs the Applebee's Showboats.

• Haha 1

No this year they have selected some other permanent venues. Like the Liberty Bowl in Memphis. That was a shitty stadium when I went to USFL games in the 80’s. Memphis probably leased it to them for $200 a game.

They opened only one side and it looked like the crowd at a Mexia HS practice. There were probably just as many murdered in the parking lot as actually made it in.

Give it time. Fans will show up. Last year's playoffs and title game at the HOF Stadium had a full lower deck. 

On 4/16/2023 at 2:41 PM, 'stache said:

I just don't understand. They couldn't find a single stadium in Houston that could host a game? I saw a clip and it looks like a COVID game.

Yeah how the Roughnecks play at UofH's stadium the Gamblers could play at Rice Stadium or share the soccer stadium with Houston Dynamo. 

9 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

If these teams never go to their cities, no one will care.  Watching XFL games in DC or StL is fun because there’s an engaged crowd.  Watching USFL games is just strange.

3 of the teams are in their town. I think the league is trying to figure out which stadiums to host for all the other cities. 

Memphis Showboats - Simmons Bank Stadium at University of Memphis

Birmingham Stallions - UAB Stadium 

Michigan Panthers - Ford Field 

everyone else:

Houston Gamblers - maybe the soccer stadium that Houston Dynamo plays at or Rice Stadium?

NOLA Breakers - probably Tulane Stadium 

New Jersey Generals - maybe Red Bull Stadium or Rutgers Stadium in Piscataway (no way they would ever sell out or halfway fill up MetLife)

Philadelphia Stars - maybe the soccer stadium where Philly Union plays or UPenn Stadium 

Pittsburgh Maulers - the baseball stadium? Steelers and Pitt share Heinz Field or whatever it's called now 

2 hours ago, Longboard Horn said:

Give it time. Fans will show up. Last year's playoffs and title game at the HOF Stadium had a full lower deck. 

Yeah how the Roughnecks play at UofH's stadium the Gamblers could play at Rice Stadium or share the soccer stadium with Houston Dynamo. 

Or any of the $60+M high school stadiums in the Houston area.

2 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

If these teams never go to their cities, no one will care.  Watching XFL games in DC or StL is fun because there’s an engaged crowd.  Watching USFL games is just strange.

The XFL is impressing, I have it on in the background while working weekends but when this project is over I’m not sure I’ll stay tuned in to watch as my sole focus. But I’m impressed with the crowds and the qb play seems to be improving a little. I still think it’ll fold eventually but might survive a few more years.

2 hours ago, Longboard Horn said:

3 of the teams are in their town. I think the league is trying to figure out which stadiums to host for all the other cities. 

Memphis Showboats - Simmons Bank Stadium at University of Memphis

Birmingham Stallions - UAB Stadium 

Michigan Panthers - Ford Field 

everyone else:

Houston Gamblers - maybe the soccer stadium that Houston Dynamo plays at or Rice Stadium?

NOLA Breakers - probably Tulane Stadium 

New Jersey Generals - maybe Red Bull Stadium or Rutgers Stadium in Piscataway (no way they would ever sell out or halfway fill up MetLife)

Philadelphia Stars - maybe the soccer stadium where Philly Union plays or UPenn Stadium 

Pittsburgh Maulers - the baseball stadium? Steelers and Pitt share Heinz Field or whatever it's called now 

They’ve had two fucking years to find stadiums. It just wasn’t in their plans for some reason. I also don’t see why Houston needs a second minor league team. The XFL has those fans, I can only figure they chose Houston to use the Gamblers IP which is admittedly pretty cool. Wish the XFL could’ve gotten that name and logo.

In sum this league is a fucking mess and looks like every failed version of minor league football. The new XFL might have found a niche and the USFL was dumb to try to compete in the way they are. I doubt even a merger would make sense, the USFL might not even make it to a title game this year.

Edited by 'stache

@'stache I think the USFL makes it to their title game, but they've got to do more. It seems that they've become a minor league feeder to the NFL with how much the NFL promoted it with commercials and whatnot during the season. Hoping both leagues last because more football (even if it is sloppy and terrible at times). Plus, USFL seems to have a lot of CFL players this year(I also watch CFL) so it's nice to see them playing in this league. Also, it gives QBs like McLeod Bethel-Thompson (a 2x Grey Cup champ with Toronto) more time to play for the American audience and QBs like him have been in the NFL for years on practice squads or as a back up so in a way, keep the league going and it will eventually become a retirement home for NFL players that can still play, but won't get picked up by any NFL team.  

An example: when AJ McCarron was drafted by the Battlehawks last November, he said he chose to go play in the XFL as a starter instead of stay in the NFL as a back up because he could get more tv time so his children could watch him play. Nothing wrong with that. 

On 4/17/2023 at 11:17 AM, Texzilla58 said:

No this year they have selected some other permanent venues. Like the Liberty Bowl in Memphis. That was a shitty stadium when I went to USFL games in the 80’s. Memphis probably leased it to them for $200 a game.

They opened only one side and it looked like the crowd at a Mexia HS practice. There were probably just as many murdered in the parking lot as actually made it in.

Don’t you speak Ill of my

beloved black cats 

Edited by Sgt Hulk

Don’t you speak Ill of my
beloved black cats 

I’m speaking no ill will of the black cats but of the USFL. My grandmother lived across the street from the old Mexia high school and she’d take us to a Friday night game once or twice, and in the summer I’d go watch ball practice and then walk to the Dairy Queen at the end of the street for a dipped cone.