the USFL is back

Sandman

3 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

although, now that i think about it, the number of butts in seats for games that don't involve Birmingham are going to make it *very*easy* to be heard heckling and there won't be much fox or nbc can do about it unless they shut off the sideline mics......    so if you want to heckle any of these coaches or players you could very very easily get a nationwide platform

Great. Just great. You really think this was the place to let that knowledge slip?

We're going to need a(nother) drinking game for this shit.

The geographic spread of this league seems really weird, especially the concentration of teams in New Jersey, Philadelphia, and Pittsburgh.   The westernmost team is Houston?
I don’t get it big Dan.  

They probably did a little more research than both you and I combined in where to put the teams.

2 hours ago, Longboard Horn said:

One thing I do like is that they kept all the original teams from the 80s. Also who gives a fuck if the league folds in a few weeks or after 1 season. It's football, so it's something. I for one enjoyed the XFL(which is coming back next year) and the AAF. 

I was really rooting for the AAF.  I’ll always have my San Diego Fleet t-shirt and ball cap.  

2 hours ago, Longboard Horn said:

One thing I do like is that they kept all the original teams from the 80s. Also who gives a fuck if the league folds in a few weeks or after 1 season. It's football, so it's something. I for one enjoyed the XFL(which is coming back next year) and the AAF. 

I’ll be very interested to see how this plays out if the USFL makes it to a 2nd season. I have a hard time imagining 2 Spring Leagues coexisting.

6 hours ago, markstanco said:

Is that for COVID or is this the business model moving forward if they make it?

I'm thinking they're going to try to keep the costs down as much as possible and try to build up a TV audience first. Try to last 3 to 4 years with low overhead and see if you can build a fanbase over time. 

Of course for this to have a chance they need to put a ton of work into community outreach. In each of the cities where the teams are "located" need to host events and get people out to meet the players and coaches. Also host watch parties at local bars and try to make a fun party atmosphere out of it. Then when they shift to playing in home arenas need to set up tailgating parties and push it even more. 

It's a daunting task that would require a ton of patience and outreach and I have no doubt these knuckleheads don't have the stomach for it to make it successful. You can say it's similar to a local band trying to make it big. To have a shot at stardom you have to spend years playing in front of double digit or less people in shit places for almost no money while constantly promoting yourself to anyone who will listen. 

Edited by Hermanator

They weren’t able to get the Memphis Showboats license; they were one of the more successful teams financially and crowd wise. The town was apeshit over them and I took my son to a ton of games. Afterwards the Memphis staff basically evolved into the Memphis NFL group, as did the Jaxville Bulls. Jax got a team. Memphis did not.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/27/2022 at 3:49 PM, Guadaloopy said:

The geographic spread of this league seems really weird, especially the concentration of teams in New Jersey, Philadelphia, and Pittsburgh.   The westernmost team is Houston?

I don’t get it big Dan.  

Nobody really cares about football west of Texas

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Lone Star Horn said:

I think he means the legs on the Panthers players. Those aren't sleeves, they look like uncovered legs.

Umm... those are leggings. Just like in all the other uniform photos. They're the same color as the jerseys.

Are you pathetic fucking snowflakes so desperate to be triggered by the so-called "woke" whatever-you-call-it that it's made y'all blind? Got such a rage boner that you're hallucinating shit to be mad about. 

Edited by Rimbo

Is it just me or is red the primary / major secondary color on almost all these teams?

Im too lazy to scroll up and confirm, but the league feels monochromatic outside of the breakers and Pittsburgh.

Oh and my gawd with Pittsburgh. That’s next level terribad. Just horrible.

spacer.png