the USFL is back

Sandman

1 minute ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Birmingham. I guess that explains why Jeff Fisher was there yesterday and no one’s in the stands today.

Never thought I could be interested in USFL game but make exception just to pull against Fisher.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Hozz said:

The game last night had much better attendance but it was still a light crowd.  But yeah its owned by Fox Sports and their goal is ratings not butts in seats.

Today is a B'ham doubleheader, right?  Philly and New Orleans play on the same field when this game ends?  Do I have that right?

49 minutes ago, Blotto said:

this might be the worst attended sporting event I have ever seen. The NBC production crew might outnumber the crowd. 

Well, it’s Houston and Michigan playing in Birmingham where Birmingham just played yesterday. They had a decent crowd for that game. Who’s going to come to this game? Plus they had a weather delay. 

28 minutes ago, RPM said:

I'm not watching this shitshow, but I have a question. All the teams based in Birmingham and just using old location names?

giphy.gif

It's to keep the costs very low while they build a following on tv over the course of the first season or two. By dramatically reducing costs they should be able to avoid folding in season 1. The hope is people start watching and then once the built in fan base is there move to playing in home cities. 

I'm considering this bizzaro NFL therefore I'm all in on the Philadelphia Soul. Although our D3 QB not inspiring confidence. 

4 minutes ago, Jshep34 said:

I'm in. Just for the cost factor compared to nfl games.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

To me I enjoy it because it gets back to a time before multi millionaire players and multi billionaire owners made you hate everyone involved in the game. Before every college kid was trying to bank million dollar NIL and build his brand. Before HS kids were skipping their senior year.

This is just dudes playing football for the chance to show out and move up. I wish they could put together a $2 million per player package for the championship winning team to really step the ferocity and competition up to the max. 

• Like 2
  • Drool 1

Went last night to the opening game, was entertained. Will contribute random thoughts on last night's experience.

Drone. Gotdam that drone. Fucker'd come buzzing down past our heads like a mini torpedo bomber at Pearl Harbor. It would then linger right next to the players, often a couple of feet off the ground just off to the side of the QB.

The organizers were not prepared for the crowd at the start of the game. I guess they were counting ticket sales, not thinking that so many people would take them up on their "Kids Get In Free" offer. They started off trying to pack everybody into the East side of the stadium to have a solid wall of people for the cameras. then it threatened to turn into a Who concert so they opened up the West side, which got fairly populated as well.

They didn't have enough concession stands ready, so the few they did had 200-deep lines, snagging circulation and keeping the crowd strangely sober.

The teams had shallow rosters. I counted about 30 guys suited up on each team. There were two squads of generic USLF cheerleaders, though "dancers dressed as cheerleaders" would be a better name. I mean, what would they have cheered? "Go Go Non-Local Local Team?" But they kept it moving. Dunno how they'll make it through three games today.

My first time in this stadium, it was alright, a little right-anglish for my taste but not Aggy MC Echer style. Maybe that's because the event crew was unprepared and had us finding our way to our seats down various side-passages.

I think they had people in the luxury boxes above us; some fucker threw a quarter and almost beaned the dude in front of us. I guess they thought we'd scrabble and fight for it.

We got woozy-hungry by third quarter, and as mentioned, you couldn't even buy a pretzel thanks to the lines. We walked out past numerous empty vendor stalls where we would have gladly bought $10 hotdogs if they'd offered them. If you watched during the 3rd or 4th Qtr, it probably looked empty compared to earlier, and wiggly kids, starving parents, and normal degenerates getting the DTs were the cause.

Caught the end at home on TV, was of the opinion that they were going to stretch it into overtime just because it was fixed for maximum drama, but dang it old boy just had to get a TD.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, RDCanecutter said:

Went last night to the opening game, was entertained. Will contribute random thoughts on last night's experience.

Drone. Gotdam that drone. Fucker'd come buzzing down past our heads like a mini torpedo bomber at Pearl Harbor. It would then linger right next to the players, often a couple of feet off the ground just off to the side of the QB.

The organizers were not prepared for the crowd at the start of the game. I guess they were counting ticket sales, not thinking that so many people would take them up on their "Kids Get In Free" offer. They started off trying to pack everybody into the East side of the stadium to have a solid wall of people for the cameras. then it threatened to turn into a Who concert so they opened up the West side, which got fairly populated as well.

They didn't have enough concession stands ready, so the few they did had 200-deep lines, snagging circulation and keeping the crowd strangely sober.

The teams had shallow rosters. I counted about 30 guys suited up on each team. There were two squads of generic USLF cheerleaders, though "dancers dressed as cheerleaders" would be a better name. I mean, what would they have cheered? "Go Go Non-Local Local Team?" But they kept it moving. Dunno how they'll make it through three games today.

My first time in this stadium, it was alright, a little right-anglish for my taste but not Aggy MC Echer style. Maybe that's because the event crew was unprepared and had us finding our way to our seats down various side-passages.

I think they had people in the luxury boxes above us; some fucker threw a quarter and almost beaned the dude in front of us. I guess they thought we'd scrabble and fight for it.

We got woozy-hungry by third quarter, and as mentioned, you couldn't even buy a pretzel thanks to the lines. We walked out past numerous empty vendor stalls where we would have gladly bought $10 hotdogs if they'd offered them. If you watched during the 3rd or 4th Qtr, it probably looked empty compared to earlier, and wiggly kids, starving parents, and normal degenerates getting the DTs were the cause.

Caught the end at home on TV, was of the opinion that they were going to stretch it into overtime just because it was fixed for maximum drama, but dang it old boy just had to get a TD.

That had to be the hardest event to plan ahead on. 

• Hook 'Em 2

I'm not watching this shitshow, but I have a question. All the teams based in Birmingham and just using old location names?
giphy.gif

I believe that actually there are only two teams in the league and they just finish one game, change unis, then play the next game. And why not? I don’t think even the parents could tell the difference in these lousy quarterbacks.

3 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

I believe that actually there are only two teams in the league and they just finish one game, change unis, then play the next game. And why not? I don’t think even the parents could tell the difference in these lousy quarterbacks.

You may be onto something, I noticed that every name on the back of the uni's was "HitByATrain _"....