the USFL is back

Sandman

Alright, Week 2 already started, got tickets for the Birmingham/Houston game Saturday evening.

I mean, if they're gonna set up a Football league right where I live for my personal amusement, it'd be kinda rude not to go.

We will also have the rights and privileges of sliding into the Philly/Pittsburgh game at 11am, should we feel so inclined.

I just can't get over seeing football for ten bucks. Yeah yeah it's more than ten when you add this and that, but the ticket says ten bucks.

• Hook 'Em 3

11 hours ago, RDCanecutter said:

I just can't get over seeing football for ten bucks. Yeah yeah it's more than ten when you add this and that, but the ticket says ten bucks.

That's the right way to build a fan base. You don't charge an arm and a leg for tickets. 10 bucks is perfect for a new league. Gotta put asses in seats. 

They need to figure out a way to tweak the rules in such a way that you can have productive offense without needing NFL level QB talent.  I'm sure they are all trying to run NFL-lite offenses to try and get back to the league but they need to ditch that because they are having the same issue the AAFL had and the XFL would have had/will have again.

16 minutes ago, Hozz said:

They need to figure out a way to tweak the rules in such a way that you can have productive offense without needing NFL level QB talent.  I'm sure they are all trying to run NFL-lite offenses to try and get back to the league but they need to ditch that because they are having the same issue the AAFL had and the XFL would have had/will have again.

And half the NFL. 

• Like 1

I mean the AAFL did pretty good.  Beat an NBA game on their first night on TV, pretty sure the USFL compared favorably to an NBA playoff game in their debut.  AAFL was also pretty well attended here in SA.  Obviously those TV numbers will go down from the debut but I think they can be a successful venture without needing to pack stadiums or beat the NBA's TV ratings.  Smaller rosters, less pay, one stadium, no travel, etc.  They seem to have a pretty solid business plan.  I don't see them CNN+ing this, there absolutely is a demand for Spring football.

We had a good time at last night's Birmingham-Houston game. Good close slugfest that got decided in the last minute. Attendance was not packed but was lively, I'm guessing about 3/4 of the opening night's crowd, but seemed more into it. I am surprised that there seems to be zero local interest in watching the non-Birmingham teams play, but the USFL has accomplished its fan loyalty task for one team, and now when we look at the Birmingham Stallions, a group of random athletes who may not have heard of our town a month ago, we have imprinted on them like ducklings and they are "our" team. The cheers and groans in that stadium were real. Even though the other teams are also living and playing in Birmingham, (and in at least one case, the NJ QB, played for Birmingham just a couple years ago,) no, they are not our team. They are wearing different laundry, and that is what matters.

That much is like the NFL.

The crowd was 90% Birmingham fans, and 10% coffee shop intellectuals, detached young women dolled up to be seen (thank you for your service,) and one squad of sunburned yeomanry who had a touch of the oil rig about them who were giving their all for Houston.

Mrs. Canecutter and I know that the USFL is a flickering candle in a hurricane that will go out sooner rather than later, as are we all, but damn it's fun.

The organizers fixed their vendor problem and multiple concession stands were open. We did not have Jet-Pack Man, but instead somebody drove a Talladega race car around on the field very slowly, which I felt left a lot to be desired, drama-wise.

For those good at estimating, Protective Field is supposed to seat 47,000. For Game 1, the night photo, they estimated 17,000. The day scene is Game 2 if y'all want to puzzle it out.

IMG_0600.jpg

IMG_0616.jpg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 4/19/2022 at 10:57 AM, n64ra said:

On second thought, I'll have the chicken salad.

Did a pizza really cost De’Veon Smith a spot with the USFL's Pittsburgh Maulers?

to be fair to De'Veon Smith he remembers those sleepover pizza nights at a first year Jim Harbaugh's house being fyre,,,no chicken salad at Jim's house sleepovers

• Hook 'Em 1

On 4/24/2022 at 5:39 PM, ButtFumble said:

to be fair to De'Veon Smith he remembers those sleepover pizza nights at a first year Jim Harbaugh's house being fyre,,,no chicken salad at Jim's house sleepovers

Plenty of tossed salads, though. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Longboard Horn said:

@RDCanecutter the QB you're speaking of is Luis Perez. Was QB for the Birmingham Iron in the AAF. Led Texas A&M-Commerce to the D2 national championship win! Was also the Harlon Hill Trophy winner(D2's Heisman). THAT'S MY QUARTERBACK!

Well, no matter what happens to the USFL, Perez threw the first TD pass in the first game of 2022. There was a stretch in the middle of the game where New Jersey looked like they were gonna walk away with it, I was surprised when Birmingham pulled back for the win.

11 minutes ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

do all 8 teams play games in the same stadium? The tv scoreboard has NO on the right, indicating home team, when the game is in Birmingham vs. the Stallions. 

I’m pretty sure they’re all played at the same stadium in Birmingham. When Birmingham isn’t playing, the stadium is practically empty. 

On 4/24/2022 at 5:36 PM, RDCanecutter said:

We had a good time at last night's Birmingham-Houston game. Good close slugfest that got decided in the last minute. Attendance was not packed but was lively, I'm guessing about 3/4 of the opening night's crowd, but seemed more into it. I am surprised that there seems to be zero local interest in watching the non-Birmingham teams play, but the USFL has accomplished its fan loyalty task for one team, and now when we look at the Birmingham Stallions, a group of random athletes who may not have heard of our town a month ago, we have imprinted on them like ducklings and they are "our" team. The cheers and groans in that stadium were real. Even though the other teams are also living and playing in Birmingham, (and in at least one case, the NJ QB, played for Birmingham just a couple years ago,) no, they are not our team. They are wearing different laundry, and that is what matters.

That much is like the NFL.

The crowd was 90% Birmingham fans, and 10% coffee shop intellectuals, detached young women dolled up to be seen (thank you for your service,) and one squad of sunburned yeomanry who had a touch of the oil rig about them who were giving their all for Houston.

Mrs. Canecutter and I know that the USFL is a flickering candle in a hurricane that will go out sooner rather than later, as are we all, but damn it's fun.

The organizers fixed their vendor problem and multiple concession stands were open. We did not have Jet-Pack Man, but instead somebody drove a Talladega race car around on the field very slowly, which I felt left a lot to be desired, drama-wise.

For those good at estimating, Protective Field is supposed to seat 47,000. For Game 1, the night photo, they estimated 17,000. The day scene is Game 2 if y'all want to puzzle it out.

IMG_0600.jpg

IMG_0616.jpg

Does Alabama Birmingham get bigger or smaller crowds?

19 hours ago, F250 said:

Does Alabama Birmingham get bigger or smaller crowds?

Dunno. I'm guessing UAB gets bigger crowds. The last UAB game I remember was years ago at Legion Field, and it was against nearby Mississippi State, which has savagely loyal followers and half its graduates end up in Birmingham. On that day Legion Field seemed half full, so maybe 35,000 people, most of them likely Miss St fans.

This was before nefarious schemers killed UAB football, and then people woke up and brought it back from the dead. I need to go to a UAB game in this new stadium, I bet it's lively.

We laid out of public activities this weekend. Caught a little bug and there's a good chance I would have been in the Shart thread.

• Hook 'Em 1

Have people lost interest? I tuned in late, mid 3rd qtr. I haven’t seen any drones flying around. I wonder if they ditched that gimmick.

From what I’ve seen it hasn’t been a compelling game. Birmingham just beat Tampa Bay 16-10. I only saw 3 points scored on a FG by B’ham while I was watching. I did see each team miss a FG, though.

6 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Not a football enthusiast, eh? And yet you clicked in so you could say you don’t care.

It’s football in springtime and it’s been occasionally entertaining. 

I'm a football enthusiast, and the product sucks.