Southampton 21-22 : Still in the EPL

yoladu

https://www.hammers.news/transfer-news/its-getting-there-junior-firpo-has-straight-choice-between-west-ham-and-southampton-and-could-be-signed-soon-report/

Southampton desperately needs a left back, as Ryan Bertrand is no longer with the club.

Barcelona's Junior Firpo seems like a reach... (ie: club pedigree, price tag, Southampton vs. London)

£13 million price tag for a single player is probably too rich for Southampton's blood. Advantage West Ham.

• 5 weeks later...

https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/19416213.saints-sign-french-full-back-perraud-four-year-deal/

Saints sign French full-back Perraud on four-year deal

I reckon this a fairly typical Saints signing -  a bit unknown, a breakout player from a low to mid table club in another European league.

why i feel positive about this one.

1) filled a need. Ryan Bertrand is gone so LB was a priority.

2) got it done early.

3) a LB with 3 goals and 7 assists last season Ligue1 makes one take notice.

Ings really wants out.

Danny Ings turns down four-year Southampton contract offer with 12 months remaining on current deal

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/12349098/danny-ings-turns-down-four-year-southampton-contract-offer-with-12-months-remaining-on-current-deal

time for the club to accept reality, move quickly, and get maximum money for him. Luckily, the clubs interested in him like to splash cash.

the quicker it gets done, the quicker we can sign 2 or 3 players with the funds received from the sale.

• 5 weeks later...

So, Danny Ings to Villa for £30m. Thoughts..

01) Losing your top goal scorer hurts, no doubt..

02) With 1 year left on his contract, the club made the most prudent choice... sell.

03) £30m for a 29 year old with a history of knee injuries is pretty good.

04) Current SK/FW: Adams, Tella, Obafemi, Long (not exactly murders' row, although I expect Tella to have somewhat of a break out year)

05) Back to 01).. the club HAS to reinvest that money back into a player or 2 NOW, not later.

06) All kind of speculation that we are all in on Blackburn Rover's Adam Armstrong who scored 29 goals in the Championship last season.

Edited by yoladu

21 hours ago, yoladu said:

So, Danny Ings to Villa for £30m. Thoughts..

01) Losing your top goal scorer hurts, no doubt..

02) With 1 year left on his contract, the club made the most prudent choice... sell.

03) £30m for a 29 year old with a history of knee injuries is pretty good.

04) Current SK/FW: Adams, Tella, Obafemi, Long (not exactly murders' row, although I expect Tella to have somewhat of a break out year)

05) Back to 01).. the club HAS to reinvest that money back into a player or 2 NOW, not later.

06) All kind of speculation that we are all in on Blackburn Rover's Adam Armstrong who scored 29 goals in the Championship last season.

strike that... Messi just became available :)

out - £51m

• Ings FW (£25m)
  • Vestergaard CB(£15m)
  • Lemina MF (£6m)
  • Gunn GK (£5m)
  • Bertrand LB (Free)

in - £30m

• Armstrong FW (£15m)
  • Perraud LB (£9m) 
  • Livramento RB (£5m)
  • Broja FW (loan)
  • Simeu CB (£1m)

Three starters gone and a surplus of £21m - Southampton Way

Hoping we get another CB and/or DM by the end of the window, but hope is what kills you.

Edited by yoladu

Everton 3 - 1 Southampton

well, that was eerily familiar of last season. First half looked good, in control. up 0-1. Total 2nd half defensive collapse, lose 3-1. Ralph can't adjust/affect the game.

Southampton is definitely going to end up 1st again....

...in points lost from winning positions.

well, at least we will get our annual 9-0 beating out of the way next week - Man United at home.

Holy shit!

Southampton 1 - 1 Man United 

drew with a club whose bench is worth more than our whole squad. 

Completely unexpected. Unreal. 

If I am looking to be negative, we dropped 2 points from a winning position, bringing our total to 5 for the season so far. 

but I think most Southampton fans would be extremely happy with 1 point through are first two matches (Everton away and ManU at home). 

• 4 weeks later...

City 0 - 0 Southampton

incredible, tough, away performance from the outmatched Saints

• Case in point City substituted in DeBruyne, Mahrez, and Foden off the bench. Each probably worth more than the Saints starting XI.

Defense was immense.

• It's only the second time in 40 home games City have been stopped from scoring. 

Two clean sheets in a row. Finishing needs work though.

Edited by yoladu

• 3 weeks later...

7 matches | 17th place | 4 points | 0 wins

Horrible start - not much to feel positive about.

If I was an optimistic person, i would say of our 7 matches played, 4 of our opponents are in the current Top 5 

1 Chelsea, 3 City, 4 Man U, & 5 Everton

we do have an easier 5 match stretch coming up : 16 Leeds, 18 Burnley, 15 Watford, 10 Villa, 20 Norwich

• 1 month later...

another game, same ole shit.

Southampton have dropped 71 points from winning positions in the Premier League since Ralph Hasenhüttl’s first game in charge in December 2018 – 15 more than any other side.

Edited by yoladu

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Commenting on the agreement, the Lead Investor of Sport Republic, Dragan Šolak, said:

“My partners and I have experience in long-term investments in the sports and entertainment industry and Sport Republic has been founded to combine this expertise and deliver something unique to the market. Southampton has so many of the qualities we have been looking for in a major sports organisation. It has a great management team, excellent talent development, talented teams playing attractive football and a dedicated fan base. We are delighted to be able to complete this acquisition as a first step towards execution of our investment strategy. Southampton will be a cornerstone of the organisation we plan to build.”

The Chairman of Sport Republic, Henrik Kraft, added:

“We will be an active and engaged owner, but we will not be starting any revolutions. We were attracted to Southampton because it is already a well-run club that follows a clearly defined strategy.

“Southampton’s CEO Martin Semmens will continue to run the day-to-day operations of the club, and Sport Republic will be working closely with him and his team to help the club grow.

“Whilst Southampton is Sport Republic’s first acquisition, we expect more investments to follow over the coming years. Our ambition is to build a portfolio of high-influence stakes in football clubs and other sporting assets across the world.

“At the same time, we will also invest in early-stage sports technology companies and use our portfolio to accelerate the development of these companies. The acquisition of Southampton is a great first step and we are very excited about the journey ahead.”

Sounds good to me. ha.. what do I know?

Dragan Šolak? awesome.

Edited by yoladu

Rasmus Ankersen also involved in the takeover as he just joined Sport Republic a few weeks ago. 

Interesting guy. Shepherded Brentford's rise to the PL - was co-director of football there from 2015 - 2021. A real football guy.

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/southampton-takeover-latest-brentford-rasmus-ankersen-2022-premier-league-b974887.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rasmus_Ankersen

Edited by yoladu

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

https://theathletic.com/3126507/2022/02/13/southampton-emerge-from-brutal-run-unscathed-unbeaten-and-emboldened/

Southampton in a good bit of form right now. Just got through a pretty tough 8 match stretch [6 of 8 teams in the Top 8] earning 12 points.

Now moving into an easier stretch -  the next 6 matches are all teams currently below us in the table.

16 (H) Everton

18 (H) Norwich City

12 (A) Aston Villa

19 (H) Watford

20 (A) Burnley

15 (A) Leeds United

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, yoladu said:

FA CUp 5th round.. Saints v. West Ham.

Jeez.. Why? 9 changes.

20220302_183207.jpg

I hope I am proven wrong, but that is a diabolical line-up.

haha... the club i follow are pretty much smart asses.

guilty as charged.

Southampton 1 - 2 Newcastle

this was the make-up game that was cancelled due to "covid" before the transfer window where Newcastle purchased Guimaraes, Wood, etc.

who scored the goals for Newcastle today? oh, you don't say. Guimaraes and Wood.

2 losses in a row to teams lower in the table. Not good

the St. Mary's PA was playing these songs during halftime of the Newcastle game 😀

Loaded - Primal Scream

Price Tag - Jessie J

Money Cant by Me Love - Beatles

Money Money Money - Abba

Dirty Cash - The Adventures of Stevie V

• Hook 'Em 1

this team is streaky AF. In the middle of a 3 match losing streak to Villa, Newcastle and now Watford. 🤢

All that talk while Southampton were in great form in January and February about European football and  Hasanhuttl being a candidate for the Man U job is putting it mildly, dumb.

we are what we are -  a mid table team, with some OK players on the cheap.

We'll probably finish 13th with 45 points.

• 4 weeks later...

Here we go again 

Southampton 0 - 4 Chelsea HT

easily could be 0-10 Werner hitting the goal post 3 times and 3 brilliant saves by Forster. 

i don’t know if I have ever see a more dominant half of football in the PL. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, yoladu said:

Southampton on the beach vs. Liverpool tomorrow.

My heart says 0-7. My head says 0-9.

Honestly don't know what Liverpool will throw out there after the 120 minutes Saturday.  I think they way your heart feels, but more the way you think.  :) 

Don't see either result in a million years though.

well, I was sort of joking.. that being said, Saints played the Liverpool's b team and still couldn't get any points.

Its been another shitty miserable year at the near bottom of the table. no fun. no fun at all.

• '17-'18  17th place 36 points
  • 18'-'19  16th place 39 points
  • 19'-'20  11th place 52 points
  • 20'-'21  15th place 43 points
  • '21-'22  16th place 40 points (likely)
Edited by yoladu

Ralph Out.

last 12 games of the season. pathetic.

5 points, 1W-2D-9L (losses to Burnley and Watford)

9 GF | 30 GA

It better be one hellava summer or we go down. 5 straight years on the cheap. It's not sustainable.

Edited by yoladu

• 3 months later...