Bosch - Season 7 June 25

Scary Stranger

1 hour ago, TexasHooch said:

Ducked out of the trailer after 53 seconds, pissed that I saw as much as I did.  I'm already going to binge it on the first day.  No good can come from watching a preview.

Thanks for the heads up. Definitely one of the best series on TV. You know what books it's based on? I re-watched last season a few weeks ago. I liked it better than season 5.

14 hours ago, TexasHooch said:

As I understand it, the season will draw mostly on The Burning Room and The Concrete Blonde (my all time favorite).  

The Burning Room, yes.  Elements of The Concrete Blonde were used in Season 1.

https://www.michaelconnelly.com/bosch-tv/

Based on Michael Connelly’s best-selling novel The Burning Room (2014) and the real arson case that inspired it, the seventh and final season of Bosch puts Detective Harry Bosch’s motto center stage: “Everybody counts or nobody counts.” When a ten-year-old girl dies in an arson fire, Detective Harry Bosch risks everything to bring her killer to justice despite opposition from powerful forces. The highly charged, politically sensitive case forces Bosch to face a grueling dilemma of how far he is willing to go to achieve justice. 

The only thing I remember from Concrete Blonde in the 1st season is Harry in court defending himself for shooting a suspect.  There's a lot more to get into if they want. I haven't seen season 6 since the day it came out, but didn't they reference in one of the later (maybe the last) episode a victim being found with something painted on her toenails. Maybe they'll have Edgar working it while Bosch works through the arson case.  We'll see.

• immamac changed the title to Bosch - Season 7 June 25
  • 3 weeks later...

First three episodes. Slow. The show is bogged down in peripheral side stories (who cares about the chief's preemie baby or political machinations?) and focus on repeated emotional responses to the death of a girl. They also seem to want to illuminate some social issues that they're not very good at doing. 

It's kind of like the actors have taken over and want to do some real fancy acting. I've loved this show, but so few such series end strongly. Still, it's good enough to watch. There is still the possibility that they pick up the tempo and develop a plot.

First four or five seasons were so strong. I kind of wonder how wise it is to force family members into the plots and into jeopardy. Nothing like that so far this season, but there are hints of it.

• Hook 'Em 1

44 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

It's kind of like the writers have taken over and want to do some real fancy writing 

Fixed. There was a plethora of excellent, original source material from which to draw from that they have chosen to mostly ignore. 

1 hour ago, TonyTexas said:

Fixed. There was a plethora of excellent, original source material from which to draw from that they have chosen to mostly ignore. 

In TV series, the producers are generally king and many of them are usually writers. Titus Welliver is also a producer and likely has huge sway as the series can't continue without him.

I guees this all adds up to maybe you're right, maybe I'm right, or maybe something in between. The repeated shots of Bosch's angry glare suggests actor input to me. But....it could also be lazy writers like we had in Handmaid's Tale who think the audience just adores the star's face and would delight in seeing the star do the most mundane or repetitive of things.

I'd like to know the specific dynamics of this production and creative team. The really good shows do really show a pattern if they stay on long enough. The life of a TV series is like the life of a college foorball coach. Some have a good run before petering out. A rare few stay strong to the very end. Nick Saban & The Wire.

It was still better than 95% of what is out there, but this season wasn't great. They wrapped it up nicely for the Bosch and Maddy spin off, but the season in general was super slow without a big payoff. 

Still a great show, but not sure if a Father Daughter PI team is going to be as interesting to me. Source material is still there though.

On 6/25/2021 at 11:45 AM, RomaVicta said:

First three episodes. Slow. The show is bogged down in peripheral side stories (who cares about the chief's preemie baby or political machinations?) and focus on repeated emotional responses to the death of a girl. They also seem to want to illuminate some social issues that they're not very good at doing. 

2 hours ago, Brew said:

Finished it up over the weekend. Maybe it was because it was the end, but it was probably one of the worst seasons to me. 

Haven't watched this new season yet, but that's The Burning Room. The book was a beating. 

• Like 1

we had the same reaction after the first 3 episodes, but i do think it rebounded well after that.  not one of the better seasons, but from episodes 4-8, i felt like i was watching bosch again.  emo jerry lasted too long, which is the type of thing this show has timed correctly previously, but botched it a little this time.  there were too many extended character interactions.  long, introspective conversations, going over-the-top to let us know this was the end.

and as was pointed out, too much time spent on storylines i did not care for.  irving barely needed to be in this season.  and i like billets, but way way too much spent on her back and forth, which started pranky, and ended with criminal charges filed.  didn't ring true to me, except it got her the promotion at the end so she could help institute change.  not really a bosch thing, but whatever.

question for the book readers - does he become a pi in the later books?  will the spinoff follow those, or are they forging a new path?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

we had the same reaction after the first 3 episodes, but i do think it rebounded well after that.  not one of the better seasons, but from episodes 4-8, i felt like i was watching bosch again.  emo jerry lasted too long, which is the type of thing this show has timed correctly previously, but botched it a little this time.  there were too many extended character interactions.  long, introspective conversations, going over-the-top to let us know this was the end.

and as was pointed out, too much time spent on storylines i did not care for.  irving barely needed to be in this season.  and i like billets, but way way too much spent on her back and forth, which started pranky, and ended with criminal charges filed.  didn't ring true to me, except it got her the promotion at the end so she could help institute change.  not really a bosch thing, but whatever.

question for the book readers - does he become a pi in the later books?  will the spinoff follow those, or are they forging a new path?

Yes he does become a PI. I didn't realize a spinoff was in the works, but he seems to interact with his half? brother Mickey Haller (the Lincoln Lawyer) more frequently in recent books, maybe that will happen? 

I thought it was good as well. I just got finished rewatching all the seasons and want to do it again. So much about this show just clicks for me. I love LA and like how the show presents it. It feels real and gritty. I love the music and his house and overlooking LA. I agree with the comments above that this was not one of the better seasons. And I noticed they brought back some of the characters from the past seasons, which seems to be common when you wrap a series up, which I’m not sure needed to happen. But overall I liked it. I hope there is a spin-off because I’m disappointed this is the last season. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

I enjoyed it. There’s definitely a Bosch formula. They could churn out 3 seasons a year and it’d probably be just fine. Kinda glad they’re gonna mix it up with the spin off. It’ll be interesting to see how Bosch acts when not constrained by rules.

Seriously. Connelly released a book a year on auto-pilot.

11 hours ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

Yes he does become a PI. I didn't realize a spinoff was in the works, but he seems to interact with his half? brother Mickey Haller (the Lincoln Lawyer) more frequently in recent books, maybe that will happen? 

Haller would be a fun show. I saw the Lincoln Lawyer and liked it ... I like the Haller books better than the Ballard books ... which I feel like she showed up on one of the seasons but I forget which one.

• Hook 'Em 1

Didn't like it one bit.  The books are about Harry solving crimes.  Sure, the department personalities, politics, and corruption are interwoven (in some books more than others), but at it's center it's a whodunit procedural.  The TV show this season was the opposite of that. It's like they purposely picked a book with a relatively weak plot just so they could keep it out of the way of the soap opera.

Maybe the spinoff will be a way to shed all of the peripheral characters and put the focus back on solving cases. We'll see.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

On 6/29/2021 at 5:05 PM, TexasHooch said:

Didn't like it one bit.  The books are about Harry solving crimes.  Sure, the department personalities, politics, and corruption are interwoven (in some books more than others), but at it's center it's a whodunit procedural.  The TV show this season was the opposite of that. It's like they purposely picked a book with a relatively weak plot just so they could keep it out of the way of the soap opera.

Maybe the spinoff will be a way to shed all of the peripheral characters and put the focus back on solving cases. We'll see.

Agreed, too much over dramatization. They Cloak Roomed it up and took away from the basis for the series. Totally different feel to this season IMO.

On 6/28/2021 at 11:20 PM, Harrison Bergeron said:

Haller would be a fun show. I saw the Lincoln Lawyer and liked it ... I like the Haller books better than the Ballard books ... which I feel like she showed up on one of the seasons but I forget which one.

Netflix is doing a Haller series.

https://deadline.com/2021/01/the-lincoln-lawyer-drama-david-e-kelley-netflix-series-order-manuel-garcia-rulfo-star-formerly-at-cbs-1234666034/

EXCLUSIVE: Netflix has given a series order to The Lincoln Lawyer, a drama based on Michael Connelly’s series of bestselling novels, from Big Little Lies and Big Sky creator David E. Kelley and A+E Studios.

This is a new incarnation of the project, which originally was set up at CBS with a series production commitment last season. Manuel Garcia-Rulfo (The Magnificent Seven) has been tapped to play the titular character in the Netflix series as it honors the story’s Latinx origins.

“I’m excited to announce that after a bit of a journey, Mickey Haller will come to life once again on screen — this time in the TV series adaptation of The Lincoln Lawyer coming to Netflix and starring the wonderful and talented Manuel Garcia-Rulfo,” Connelly said in blog post tied to the pickup.

With the casting of Mexico-born Garcia-Rulfo, Mickey Haller will stay true to the character as depicted in Connelly’s books. (In the CBS version, the role was to be played by Logan Marshall-Green; in the 2011 movie, the character was portrayed by Matthew McConaughey.)

“Manuel is the ideal Mickey Haller, who is following in the footsteps of his attorney father with the showmanship of his Mexican movie star mother,” Connelly wrote. “He brings a powerful dynamic and dimension to the role — one that aligns with the books and brings authenticity to the Latinx heritage and roots of this Los Angeles-based story.

The 10-episode first season is based on the second book in The Lincoln Lawyer series, The Brass Verdict.

Written and executive produced by Kelley and showrunner Ted Humphrey (The Good Wife), The Lincoln Lawyer revolves around Mickey Haller (Garcia-Rulfo), an iconoclastic idealist, who runs his law practice out of the back seat of his Lincoln Town Car, as he takes on cases big and small across the expansive city of Los Angeles.

The Lincoln Lawyer series will be adapted to serve up the complex and mysterious arcs fans know and love with a mix of light-hearted humor and a dose of family dynamics,” Connelly said.

The creative team of the project remains the same as it was for the CBS version, with Kelley and Humphrey executive producing alongside Connelly and Ross Fineman (Goliath, Big Sky).

On-screen, two roles are being recast: Mickey and Lorna, his second ex-wife and constant confidante, who was to be played by Kiele Sanchez on CBS. A search is underway for a director.

At CBS, The Lincoln Lawyer was picked up to pilot, which was days away from starting production when the coronavirus pandemic shut down all filming in March. After CBS’ surprise May decision not to go forward with the high-profile project, A+E Studios immediately took it it out to streamers. (The show’s serialized storytelling was considered better suited for a digital platform than a traditional network.)

While different suitors were rumored, including Prime Video, which has the long-running series Bosch, centered on Mickey’s half-brother, serious conversation with Netflix started over the summer.

This marks the second series at Netflix for A+E Studios, joining WWII animated limited series The Liberator, which premiered on Veterans Day. The studio, whose slate is overseen by A+E head Barry Jossen and EVP scripted programming Tana Jamieson, also is behind breakout new ABC drama series Big Sky, also from Kelley. It is co-produced by ABC Signature.

At Netflix, Kelley also has the upcoming anthology Anatomy of a Scandal, based on Sarah Vaughan’s novel, starring Sienna Miller, Michelle Dockery and Rupert Friend. Big Little Lies creator Kelley is coming off another successful limited series for HBO, The Undoing and is shepherding ABC’s Big Sky, which recently received a full-season order..

The Lincoln Lawyer reunites Garcia-Rulfo with Kelley and Fineman after he had a major recurring role on Prime Video’s Goliath, co-created/exec produced by Kelley and exec produced by Fineman. The Lincoln Lawyer and Goliath are two of the many legal series Kelley, an attorney by trade, has created/co-created. The list also includes the Emmy-winning The Practice and Ally McBeal. 

Garcia-Rulfo is best known for his role as Vasquez in The Magnificent Seven remake and Gallo in Sicario: Day of the Soldado. He recently was seen in features Greyhound and 6 Underground, and his TV credits also include From Dusk to Dawn: The Series.

The Lincoln Lawyer book series launched in 2009. The latest, sixth installment, The Law of Innocence, was published in November, seven years after the fifth novel.

“I’m thrilled to call Netflix our home,” Connelly said. “And I’m excited to bring this rich, multilayered story filled with intriguing characters and mysteries to solve to millions of viewers — both old and new fans — around the world.”

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, ScottS said:

Netflix is doing a Haller series.

https://deadline.com/2021/01/the-lincoln-lawyer-drama-david-e-kelley-netflix-series-order-manuel-garcia-rulfo-star-formerly-at-cbs-1234666034/

EXCLUSIVE: Netflix has given a series order to The Lincoln Lawyer, a drama based on Michael Connelly’s series of bestselling novels, from Big Little Lies and Big Sky creator David E. Kelley and A+E Studios.

This is a new incarnation of the project, which originally was set up at CBS with a series production commitment last season. Manuel Garcia-Rulfo (The Magnificent Seven) has been tapped to play the titular character in the Netflix series as it honors the story’s Latinx origins.

“I’m excited to announce that after a bit of a journey, Mickey Haller will come to life once again on screen — this time in the TV series adaptation of The Lincoln Lawyer coming to Netflix and starring the wonderful and talented Manuel Garcia-Rulfo,” Connelly said in blog post tied to the pickup.

With the casting of Mexico-born Garcia-Rulfo, Mickey Haller will stay true to the character as depicted in Connelly’s books. (In the CBS version, the role was to be played by Logan Marshall-Green; in the 2011 movie, the character was portrayed by Matthew McConaughey.)

“Manuel is the ideal Mickey Haller, who is following in the footsteps of his attorney father with the showmanship of his Mexican movie star mother,” Connelly wrote. “He brings a powerful dynamic and dimension to the role — one that aligns with the books and brings authenticity to the Latinx heritage and roots of this Los Angeles-based story.

The 10-episode first season is based on the second book in The Lincoln Lawyer series, The Brass Verdict.

Written and executive produced by Kelley and showrunner Ted Humphrey (The Good Wife), The Lincoln Lawyer revolves around Mickey Haller (Garcia-Rulfo), an iconoclastic idealist, who runs his law practice out of the back seat of his Lincoln Town Car, as he takes on cases big and small across the expansive city of Los Angeles.

The Lincoln Lawyer series will be adapted to serve up the complex and mysterious arcs fans know and love with a mix of light-hearted humor and a dose of family dynamics,” Connelly said.

The creative team of the project remains the same as it was for the CBS version, with Kelley and Humphrey executive producing alongside Connelly and Ross Fineman (Goliath, Big Sky).

On-screen, two roles are being recast: Mickey and Lorna, his second ex-wife and constant confidante, who was to be played by Kiele Sanchez on CBS. A search is underway for a director.

At CBS, The Lincoln Lawyer was picked up to pilot, which was days away from starting production when the coronavirus pandemic shut down all filming in March. After CBS’ surprise May decision not to go forward with the high-profile project, A+E Studios immediately took it it out to streamers. (The show’s serialized storytelling was considered better suited for a digital platform than a traditional network.)

While different suitors were rumored, including Prime Video, which has the long-running series Bosch, centered on Mickey’s half-brother, serious conversation with Netflix started over the summer.

This marks the second series at Netflix for A+E Studios, joining WWII animated limited series The Liberator, which premiered on Veterans Day. The studio, whose slate is overseen by A+E head Barry Jossen and EVP scripted programming Tana Jamieson, also is behind breakout new ABC drama series Big Sky, also from Kelley. It is co-produced by ABC Signature.

At Netflix, Kelley also has the upcoming anthology Anatomy of a Scandal, based on Sarah Vaughan’s novel, starring Sienna Miller, Michelle Dockery and Rupert Friend. Big Little Lies creator Kelley is coming off another successful limited series for HBO, The Undoing and is shepherding ABC’s Big Sky, which recently received a full-season order..

The Lincoln Lawyer reunites Garcia-Rulfo with Kelley and Fineman after he had a major recurring role on Prime Video’s Goliath, co-created/exec produced by Kelley and exec produced by Fineman. The Lincoln Lawyer and Goliath are two of the many legal series Kelley, an attorney by trade, has created/co-created. The list also includes the Emmy-winning The Practice and Ally McBeal. 

Garcia-Rulfo is best known for his role as Vasquez in The Magnificent Seven remake and Gallo in Sicario: Day of the Soldado. He recently was seen in features Greyhound and 6 Underground, and his TV credits also include From Dusk to Dawn: The Series.

The Lincoln Lawyer book series launched in 2009. The latest, sixth installment, The Law of Innocence, was published in November, seven years after the fifth novel.

“I’m thrilled to call Netflix our home,” Connelly said. “And I’m excited to bring this rich, multilayered story filled with intriguing characters and mysteries to solve to millions of viewers — both old and new fans — around the world.”

Stopped reading at "Latinx."

18 minutes ago, sunset87 said:

Agreed, too much over dramatization. They Cloak Roomed it up and took away from the basis for the series. Totally different feel to this season IMO.

That's too bad. I'm over everything having to have simpleton political crap mixed into the secret sauce. The Wire is one of my all time favorite shows largely because it invested in examining complex social-political issues and took the time to do so from diverse POV ... that's worthwhile but feeding easy-to-digest red meat to the Idiocracy just muddles the story.