PSA - ABIA And TSA Lines

Wally Pryor

They're sorta long.

AUSTIN (KXAN) — Austin-Bergstrom International Airport is sending out a warning to travelers to get to the airport extra early due to lengthy wait times at TSA checkpoints. Currently, lines are approximately two hours long.

ABIA officials say during peak times from 5-8 a.m. and from 11 a.m. – 1 p.m., travelers should get to the airport three hours early. During non-peak departures, they recommend people still getting there at least 2.5 hours early.

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/austin-airport-tsa-security-wait-times-2-hours-long/

SUBSCRIBE NOW
Daily News

2 minutes ago, mchookem said:

so it doesn't actually say why it's so jacked...i guess TSA is also short-staffed? if nobody was traveling for 9 mos did they actually lay people off too?

I saw a Twitter post reporting that only 2 of the 3 TSA checkpoints were open.  Combine that with this season's revenge travel, and I can see why the waits are so long.  You'd think they would have anticipated this and started hiring back up to capacity several weeks ago. 

Hopefully the airlines are getting enough customer rage that ABIA will get its shit together by tomorrow morning when I enter that shitstorm.  As of now, I'm planning on getting to the airport three hours before my 12:20 p.m. departure.

Add onto that a bomb threat investigation.

Less than an hour after Austin-Bergstrom International Airport officials closed off a section of the baggage claim area and diverted traffic due to a bomb threat investigation, the area was cleared and normal operations resumed.

Airport officials said an unattended bag was left in the baggage claim area, and Austin police were called in to investigate it and eventually found it was harmless.

No, not a buh, a bomb.

18 minutes ago, midtown said:

Minor children can go with their parent through TSA Pre. 

Children ages 12 and younger may use the TSA PreCheck® lane when traveling with a parent or guardian who has the indicator on their boarding pass. Travelers 13 and older who do not have a TSA PreCheck® boarding pass must go through standard security lanes or apply.

Linko

I flew out of ABIA about two weeks ago and the precheck line at the middle security checkpoint was the longest I'd ever seen it, and it wasn't even close. Snaking down the railing about halfway to the north checkpoint.

So, went to the north checkpoint and while it was still crowded, nowhere near as bad.

My global entry expired during COVID and just realized it. Applied for the renewal, I’m conditionally approved, but it seems impossible to schedule an interview. Anyone run into this issue? I think I’m going to try to do a walk in interview on my trip back from Cabo in September but I’d rather get this sorted out before my other summer travel.

9 hours ago, htown85 said:

My global entry expired during COVID and just realized it. Applied for the renewal, I’m conditionally approved, but it seems impossible to schedule an interview. Anyone run into this issue? I think I’m going to try to do a walk in interview on my trip back from Cabo in September but I’d rather get this sorted out before my other summer travel.

all GE got extended last year I think until December...

A friend sent me a link for 3 free months of Clear a few days ago.  I signed me and the wife up for it today.  We have an early flight to Belize in 2 weeks and fuck getting to the airport 3 hours early for a 7:20 flight.

14 minutes ago, kevwun said:

A friend sent me a link for 3 free months of Clear a few days ago.  I signed me and the wife up for it today.  We have an early flight to Belize in 2 weeks and fuck getting to the airport 3 hours early for a 7:20 flight.

What is clear? I've done the precheck, but not sure about this Clear business. Sounds intriguing.

You pay for a yearly membership and get to skip the security line and to go straight to the xray machines.  It seems like that should be included in TSA Pre, but it's not.  I don't believe all airports have Clear, but Austin does.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, htown85 said:

You should have gotten 12 extra months after expiration due to COVID while you wait for an interview.  You can still use it until Your interview on arrival 

40 minutes ago, kevwun said:

You pay for a yearly membership and get to skip the security line and to go straight to the xray machines.  It seems like that should be included in TSA Pre, but it's not.  I don't believe all airports have Clear, but Austin does.

thx

2 hours ago, kevwun said:

Same. Looks like it’ll pay off. 

Is this 1994? Who the hell would show up to an airport 3 hours early?

14 hours ago, South Austin said:

In the security line now, and shit’s so much better than was reported yesterday. Plenty of time for a couple of pre-flight Bloody’s.

Flying out Wed 6P for New Orleans.  Wife heard about the long lines, wants to get there at like 230P even though we have precheck.  Told her if that happens, we'll end up going through security in 5 minutes, I'll have 6 drinks at the bar, she'll have to deal with my drunk ass on a dry flight, with the trip culminating in me forcing the Uber driver to stop at the 7-11 to pick up some tall boys for the ride into the CBD.  

can'twait.gif

• Haha 4

20 minutes ago, Redneck Mutha said:

Flying out Wed 6P for New Orleans.  Wife heard about the long lines, wants to get there at like 230P even though we have precheck.  Told her if that happens, we'll end up going through security in 5 minutes, I'll have 6 drinks at the bar, she'll have to deal with my drunk ass on a dry flight, with the trip culminating in me forcing the Uber driver to stop at the 7-11 to pick up some tall boys for the ride into the CBD.  

can'twait.gif

Have some rep.  Similar results out of DFW.  Got there early, drank, got in trouble.  YMMV.

On 6/6/2021 at 2:44 AM, Steel Shank said:

What is clear? I've done the precheck, but not sure about this Clear business. Sounds intriguing.

TSA pre is a government run program. Clear is a private company that has yearly membership dues which has partnered in certain airports to provide a more exclusive TSA pre experience. To date, so few people use clear which makes their lines non-existent. 

everyone I know has TSA pre so those lines can be long as fuck despite being faster than common line

On 6/5/2021 at 4:07 PM, htown85 said:

I renewed my global entry 2 years ago and it took months to find a place to have the interview. I had to schedule it while flying through IAH as I couldn’t get an appointment in Austin, SF, or LA for 6+ months out. 

On 6/5/2021 at 8:01 PM, Js1 said:

You should have gotten 12 extra months after expiration due to COVID while you wait for an interview.  You can still use it until Your interview on arrival 

If that's true, then the process was not automatic.  We flew to Mexico the week before Memorial Day.  My Global Entry expired the week before.  Access Denied.

7 hours ago, LABEVO said:

TSA pre is a government run program. Clear is a private company that has yearly membership dues which has partnered in certain airports to provide a more exclusive TSA pre experience. To date, so few people use clear which makes their lines non-existent. 

Close.  CLEAR has partnered with not just airports but also stadiums etc.  It's completely disconnected from PRE or the poors line.   CLEAR simply bypasses the ID check.  That is  all.   If you have pre you go the the pre lane after clear.  if you don't have pre you go to the poors line.   Both after the ID check.   In most cases CLEAR doesn't save me much time and sometimes I don't even bother with it other than to give their employees something to do.    In some airports like LAS it saved me probably 30 mins once because the PRE line was ridiculous.  

for Clear, check your most frequented airports to see if they have service.  Clear is pretty good at Love but I think it's only at the Delta terminal in DFW.  It has been super handy for the wife (no pics) as all the airports she flies for work are covered.  I flew mostly to Ohare from DFW (via AA) and last time i checked it was not worth the yearly fee as i would not get much benefit.