Other NCAA Regionals Thread

WBT

15 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Maybe they shouldn't act like the SEC is the best at everything and the only conference that matters all the time if they don't want to torpedo their own ratings when reality hits. 

Yeah they seem weirdly determined to make Collegiate Athletics a small regional thing instead of a big national thing. 

10 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

Wait the SECSEC isn't the entire college sports world?

ESPN did this whole thing called "The Season" about Ole Miss. Not the SEC Network, ESPN. I mean who the fuck cares about Ole Miss? This isn't Alabama Football or Kentucky Basketball or some program people outside the south might actually give two fucks about, no Ole Fucking Miss. It is a crazy disconnect from reality it seems to me, that they are trying to promote this brand the SECSECSEC. I seriously doubt anybody outside the South, or even the state of Mississippi, gives two fucks. 

And they proudly say it won an Emmy for best Mississippi based documentary probably.

I know we partially benefited from this weird misplaced idea that you can have a big college sports based brand with the LHN and Notre Dame and Duke Basketball have also been presented as this kind of thing in the past. But to work so hard to not just promote one blue blood or powerhouse but to diminish all the other 20+ conferences (and especially the other P5 conferences) seems suicidal for a network that seeks to attract nationwide sports audiences.

College sports is almost by definition regional. It is insane. Just imagine people in Arizona caring what the Georgia Bulldogs are up to these days. They don't. They want to hear about Arizona State and Arizona...if they care about college sports at all.

Edited by Valmy77

1 hour ago, clapclapclap said:

NCAA screwed DBU?  Higher seed than UVA, shouldn't they have the option of hosting in Fort Worth instead of Columbia?

Higher seed should host (not who beat the higher seed..who is the higher seed). but what a crazy year it is.. with pre-approved sites. 

Edited by msudawg

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

DBU beat the higher seed, so it should have been their decision (Fort Worth) 

Negative. if both seeds are equally. traditionally it comes down to who put in the highest bid to host.

Who knows how they hell they will do it this year.covid protocols have changed so much in the last month. 

23 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

ESPN did this whole thing called "The Season" about Ole Miss. Not the SEC Network, ESPN. I mean who the fuck cares about Ole Miss? This isn't Alabama Football or Kentucky Basketball or some program people outside the south might actually give two fucks about, no Ole Fucking Miss. It is a crazy disconnect from reality it seems to me, that they are trying to promote this brand the SECSECSEC. I seriously doubt anybody outside the South, or even the state of Mississippi, gives two fucks. 

And they proudly say it won an Emmy for best Mississippi based documentary probably.

I know we partially benefited from this weird misplaced idea that you can have a big college sports based brand with the LHN and Notre Dame and Duke Basketball have also been presented as this kind of thing in the past. But to work so hard to not just promote one blue blood or powerhouse but to diminish all the other 20+ conferences (and especially the other P5 conferences) seems suicidal for a network that seeks to attract nationwide sports audiences.

College sports is almost by definition regional. It is insane. Just imagine people in Arizona caring what the Georgia Bulldogs are up to these days. They don't. They want to hear about Arizona State and Arizona...if they care about college sports at all.

Are you really complaining about ESPN when the LHN is the reason the Big12 only has 10 members?

Do yall need ESPN for the monetary support. hell no. but you jumped into bed with them for a channel that is barely available. (sorry facts.. i kept playstation vue for it till they went out of business). 

You are talking College baseball, of course it's bigger in the South. so thus regional. 

Oh and one last time. Fuck the University or Mississippi and their racist name. Yes they have some people in with espn and get more public praise sometimes.. but screw them.. they are nothing special. I hope Arizona beats them. 

6 minutes ago, msudawg said:

Are you really complaining about ESPN when the LHN is the reason the Big12 only has 10 members?

You might want to check those dates. Colorado and Nebraska left before the LHN was announced. The Big 12 was dysfunctional long before the LHN was a thing. I think everybody, including UT and probably ESPN, are to blame for that.

But since I called out ESPN setting up the LHN is a mistake for exactly the same reason promoting the SEC brand is so I don't get this attack. Did you read my post or did you just see that a UT person wrote it and just imagined what it said instead of reading the words?

Do yall need ESPN for the monetary support. hell no. but you jumped into bed with them for a channel that is barely available. (sorry facts.. i kept playstation vue for it till they went out of business). 

Um...did I blame the SEC for this? No. The SEC is going about their own interest and I respect that. I mean I hate you guys for fun, like I hate Duke Basketball, but that is just being a sports fan not thinking you guys are doing anything wrong. I blamed ESPN for being stupid. Why are you calling me out for hypocrisy that makes no sense. Again did you read my post or just make up things I said instead?

You are talking College baseball, of course it's bigger in the South. so thus regional.

Ok the West Coast schools have a pretty good record of success here and there are plenty of other non-SEC schools in the South. Plus it is in ESPN's interest to make it national and not regional. The west coast schools have had massive success but are continually, and puzzlingly shat on and disrespected and it rubs me the wrong way. They do not deserve at all to be treated as a Jr Varsity to the mighty South that is bullshit.

But they do not only do this with baseball.

Edited by Valmy77
  • Hook 'Em 1

45 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

They push the SEC because that is where the most eyeballs are as far as cumulative viewership is concerned.

Football is basically a separate argument because football is the biggest sport in the country and just about every region except the west coast cares about football. Basketball is also its own argument as you have many schools across the country like Syracuse, Marquette, etc... who don’t give a shit about anything else but care a lot about basketball.

As far as the other minor sports, you consistently see the SEC at the top, not every program, but a considerable amount. This is specifically true for baseball. The attendance numbers speak for themselves. The last decade, if not longer, the SEC has locked down the top 5 spots in attendance for baseball with Texas bobbing up and down between 5-7 to break it up. The 2019 NCAA attendance record show 12 in the top 30 and 13 in the top 35, Tennessee being 35th with 1,904 average attendance. That put Tennessee right behind Oklahoma State (a program that has had much more success than Tennessee).

Edited by chase25

Interesting. I guess I would be interested to know how far back that goes.

Again I am not faulting the SEC programs or fans for any of this. I just think it is bad for the health of the sport overall. 

Edited by Valmy77

20 minutes ago, msudawg said:

Negative. if both seeds are equally. traditionally it comes down to who put in the highest bid to host.

Who knows how they hell they will do it this year.covid protocols have changed so much in the last month. 

Yes, but traditionally doesn't work this year.

I think DBU should have gotten first dibs to play in Fort Worth since TCU was an approved site, they beat TCU and it's closer to them.

But you know what it looks like to me? 

ESPN and the NCAA wanted an East Cost super so they could stick them at the earliest time slot. 

14 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

*Citation needed.

https://omaha.com/sports/college/huskers/teams/nu-and-the-big-ten-a-behind-the-scenes-look-at-how-the-historic-switch/article_8dab9ef1-c9fb-5a20-b39d-e0f1ad872602.html

https://www.unl.edu/chancellor/harvey-s-perlman

Harvey Perlman was named the 19th Chancellor of the University of Nebraska-Lincoln on April 1, 2001 and served until June 30, 2016. He acted as Interim Chancellor of the University of Nebraska-Lincoln from July 16, 2000 until he was appointed as permanent chancellor.

While some schools complained about the league’s unequal distribution of revenue from network TV contracts, Nebraska wasn’t among them. It joined Texas as a strong proponent of giving big-time football schools — those most appealing to the networks — a bigger slice of the pie.

Plus, Perlman said, the Big 12 had just recently completed important conversations about whether to form its own TV network for secondary sports programming, akin to the Big Ten’s.

While many have blamed Texas and its plans to start its own Longhorn TV network as the reason a Big 12 network never got off the ground, Nebraska wasn’t on board with a conference network, either. Nebraska’s support was conditional on the high-profile schools taking a larger cut of that revenue, too — a condition some schools strongly opposed.

As a result of those talks, Nebraska, like Texas, was now moving to create its own network. A consultant’s study had concluded that a Husker network would succeed and bring in seven-figure revenue on top of what Nebraska was getting from major network telecasts.

Perlman said NU was on track to have its network running by the fall of 2011 — actually ahead of Texas’ timetable.

53 minutes ago, msudawg said:

Do you really think that we don't complain about LHN?

It sucks shit through a straw.

42 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Interesting. I guess I would be interested to know how far back that goes.

Again I am not faulting the SEC programs or fans for any of this. I just think it is bad for the health of the sport overall. 

The NCAA has the attendance records all you have to do is google it. I only went back as far as 2005 (pre conference realignment) and half the SEC was in the top 10 in attendance for baseball.

When you compare 2005 to 2019, they are the only conference that has had multiple programs make considerable jumps in average attendance.

Ole Miss is up ~ 4,600

LSU is up ~ 3,100

South Carolina is up ~ 2,900

Arkansas is up ~ 2,000

Mississippi St. is up ~2,700

Kentucky went from less than 1,000 to 3,300 and they still haven’t done shit in baseball.

Alabama is the only program I believe that has seen a drop. Missouri is just irrelevant 

Even Auburn’s has increased by a marginal 300 and their baseball program since 2000 has been on par with Oklahoma. Florida and Vanderbilt have both seen increases of just above a 1,000 since 2005 as both have invested heavily in baseball and seen more national success.

Other notable programs

TCU is up ~ 2,800

Texas Tech is up ~ 1,600

Oregon State is up ~ 2,200

Rajun Cajuns are up ~ 2,800 (surprised me)

Most other programs have either stayed around the same or declined. 

Oklahoma State is by far the most disappointing school in the country in terms of attendance IMO. Generally produces a winner although not as consistently as of lat but in 2019 they fielded the #9 national seeded and didn’t even average 2,000 fans...

Edited by chase25

4 minutes ago, Cajun said:

The LHN is good for the school and good for those of us who like to watch our 3rd tier sports on TV.

But it is hardly riveting TV. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, chase25 said:

Most other programs have either stayed around the same or declined.

But is this a cause or effect? So the media very specifically hypes up only one conference of schools and makes their fans feel special and then they are the only ones to see an increase of interest while the sport suffers everywhere else in the country.

My level of concern that SEC has a bunch of high-attendance baseball programs is nonexistent.  I don't care.  If I lived in Starkville, I'd be parked at the stadium, too.

What gets knowledgeable fans in other parts of the country pissed off is the seemingly ingrained perception in the polls that SEC baseball is superior to that everywhere else.  I mean, until we start folding attendance into RPI, etc. it really shouldn't matter.

1 minute ago, Valmy77 said:

But is this a cause or effect? So the media very specifically hypes up only one conference of schools and makes their fans feel special and then they are the only ones to see an increase of interest while the sport suffers everywhere else in the country.

More to do with location, there is less to do in the south. In Austin there is a lot to do, for many people in Austin (except for football) sports revolve around the plans. For much of the south the plans revolve around sports. Ain’t shit else to do in Fayetteville, Starkville, Oxford, College Station. 

I really couldn’t tell you though that is just my opinion. Last night, and I get it was a Monday night, Stanford was playing UC Irvine for a chance to go to a super regional and I might have counted 15 people behind home plate. Stanford has won 2 national titles and been to the CWS 16 times couldn’t have given a rats ass. It was taking Oregon fans every thing they has to drown out the L-S-U chants all the way up in Eugene, Oregon. 

They are just passionate about it in the south (specifically baseball)

4 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

The LHN is good for the school and good for those of us who like to watch our 3rd tier sports on TV.

But it is hardly riveting TV. 

Compared to what it could be, it's an embarrassing joke.

That said, I get your point.

Now, I'll sit here biding my time waiting paitently for my next chance to hear Lowell force the words "velo" and "oppo" into a broadcast.

Regardless of attendance or who should have hosted where, it must FUCKING SUCK to sit at home (or in person but I doubt it) and watch some other teams punch their ticket to Omaha on your home field. I love Longhorn baseball but I could not imagine going to a game at Disch-Falk to watch two teams not named Texas punch a ticket to Omaha.

19 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

You might want to check those dates. Colorado and Nebraska left before the LHN was announced. The Big 12 was dysfunctional long before the LHN was a thing. I think everybody, including UT and probably ESPN, are to blame for that.

But since I called out ESPN setting up the LHN is a mistake for exactly the same reason promoting the SEC brand is so I don't get this attack. Did you read my post or did you just see that a UT person wrote it and just imagined what it said instead of reading the words?

Um...did I blame the SEC for this? No. The SEC is going about their own interest and I respect that. I mean I hate you guys for fun, like I hate Duke Basketball, but that is just being a sports fan not thinking you guys are doing anything wrong. I blamed ESPN for being stupid. Why are you calling me out for hypocrisy that makes no sense. Again did you read my post or just make up things I said instead?

Ok the West Coast schools have a pretty good record of success here and there are plenty of other non-SEC schools in the South. Plus it is in ESPN's interest to make it national and not regional. The west coast schools have had massive success but are continually, and puzzlingly shat on and disrespected and it rubs me the wrong way. They do not deserve at all to be treated as a Jr Varsity to the mighty South that is bullshit.

But they do not only do this with baseball.

I mean I know you hate Aggy and could care less about Mizzou. But I would say the LHN was part of the reason they left since the Big12 wasn't creating a conference network like the SEC has. 

I did miss the rest of your post, so you are valid for stating that. it wasn't that a UT fan said that, it was you complaining about the SEC being showcased when the LHN does the same for y'all. 

You are correct there is a lot of good baseball in the West but not as much support or eyeballs watching it. I could have stated that clearer.. as I see some others discussing above, the support with attendance and viewership is more what I was pointing at. 

18 hours ago, ButtFumble said:

https://omaha.com/sports/college/huskers/teams/nu-and-the-big-ten-a-behind-the-scenes-look-at-how-the-historic-switch/article_8dab9ef1-c9fb-5a20-b39d-e0f1ad872602.html

https://www.unl.edu/chancellor/harvey-s-perlman

Harvey Perlman was named the 19th Chancellor of the University of Nebraska-Lincoln on April 1, 2001 and served until June 30, 2016. He acted as Interim Chancellor of the University of Nebraska-Lincoln from July 16, 2000 until he was appointed as permanent chancellor.

While some schools complained about the league’s unequal distribution of revenue from network TV contracts, Nebraska wasn’t among them. It joined Texas as a strong proponent of giving big-time football schools — those most appealing to the networks — a bigger slice of the pie.

Plus, Perlman said, the Big 12 had just recently completed important conversations about whether to form its own TV network for secondary sports programming, akin to the Big Ten’s.

While many have blamed Texas and its plans to start its own Longhorn TV network as the reason a Big 12 network never got off the ground, Nebraska wasn’t on board with a conference network, either. Nebraska’s support was conditional on the high-profile schools taking a larger cut of that revenue, too — a condition some schools strongly opposed.

As a result of those talks, Nebraska, like Texas, was now moving to create its own network. A consultant’s study had concluded that a Husker network would succeed and bring in seven-figure revenue on top of what Nebraska was getting from major network telecasts.

Perlman said NU was on track to have its network running by the fall of 2011 — actually ahead of Texas’ timetable.

Ok. i was wrong about NU kinda.. but you could say NU didn't want to compete with UT and the LHN in the same conference. 

18 hours ago, Cajun said:

Now I will say I didn't watch it ever besides Football games or Baseball games.. but I thought they did a good job.

18 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

My level of concern that SEC has a bunch of high-attendance baseball programs is nonexistent.  I don't care.  If I lived in Starkville, I'd be parked at the stadium, too.

What gets knowledgeable fans in other parts of the country pissed off is the seemingly ingrained perception in the polls that SEC baseball is superior to that everywhere else.  I mean, until we start folding attendance into RPI, etc. it really shouldn't matter.

Is it attendance that makes SEC Baseball superior or that 6 of the past 11 National Champions are from the SEC. 

During that same time period, the SEC has had 26 of the 88 spots in OMAHA. including half the field 3 different years, and that might happen again this year with 5 teams in SR play. 

MSU knows all too well attendance won't win you championships. We still haven't won the last game but have come closer in the past 10 years then ever before (2nd,3rd finish). 

54 minutes ago, msudawg said:

I mean I know you hate Aggy and could care less about Mizzou. But I would say the LHN was part of the reason they left since the Big12 wasn't creating a conference network like the SEC has. 

I did miss the rest of your post, so you are valid for stating that. it wasn't that a UT fan said that, it was you complaining about the SEC being showcased when the LHN does the same for y'all. 

You are correct there is a lot of good baseball in the West but not as much support or eyeballs watching it. I could have stated that clearer.. as I see some others discussing above, the support with attendance and viewership is more what I was pointing at. 

Ok. i was wrong about NU kinda.. but you could say NU didn't want to compete with UT and the LHN in the same conference. 

I don't really hate A&M. After all we live amongst their grads, even though they are insane. But you weren't around in 2010. Both Missouri and A&M were desperate to leave and once the SEC possibility was thrown around their fans were barraging their AD to stop being a coward and get the fuck into the SEC. They were both hanging around for 2011 but I doubt anybody thought they were going to stay anyway. We, after all, basically wimped out on our plan to join the then PAC 10 because we were worried we would kill the A&M rivalry...supposedly. This was because A&M already had its heart set on the SEC and did not want to go out west with us. (again...supposedly what actually happened back then is mysterious and clouded in propaganda and nonsense)

LHN gave them a reason but let's not forget that the idea of a Big 12 Network had been floated but it had been voted down by schools who thought it would lose money, UT might have been a part of that decision but UT was hardly the only party who held that opinion. Then UT asked A&M if they wanted to go along with forming a Lone Star Network that would showcase both schools and A&M turned us down. I mean that kind of shows how dysfunctional and bizarre this league was back during that time. Nobody is willing to tell the whole truth about what happened so we might never fully know without some historian going through tons of emails and internal memos and I would hope historians have more important things to study. I don't doubt UT is at fault in many cases, but I disliked our AD so that just might be my own prejudice talking.

I could say that NU needed to leave because they couldn't compete with us, but that wouldn't make any sense. They had more success, it seems to me, in the Big 12 competing with us than they have ever enjoyed in the Big 10. But what is done is done.

Is it attendance that makes SEC Baseball superior or that 6 of the past 11 National Champions are from the SEC. 

During that same time period, the SEC has had 26 of the 88 spots in OMAHA. including half the field 3 different years, and that might happen again this year with 5 teams in SR play. 

MSU knows all too well attendance won't win you championships. We still haven't won the last game but have come closer in the past 10 years then ever before (2nd,3rd finish). 

Certainly those programs who won those national titles, and got all those trips to Omaha, deserve hype but why would the other schools who did not get any of that deserve hype? Why would schools from outside the SEC who have won national titles recently not deserve hype? Why do they deserve to be ignored? I just feel like schools like Arizona can win titles and have great years but are basically afterthoughts because they aren't SECSECSEC. It pisses me off. Yes in 2019 four of the teams in Omaha were SEC...but there were four others to. 

Also: it is bad for the sport as it kills interest outside of one geographic area and it might be creating the circumstances for SEC dominance unfairly rather than reflecting it. So it is not so much that Vanderbilt is over-rated or something, that is ridiculous.

Edited by Valmy77

21 hours ago, msudawg said:

yeah uh.  you don't know shit apparently. 

edit: you have an excuse if the aggy borg has entered your brain.

Edited by dcar00
  • Fuck You 1

36 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

I don't really hate A&M. After all we live amongst their grads, even though they are insane. But you weren't around in 2010. Both Missouri and A&M were desperate to leave and once the SEC possibility was thrown around their fans were barraging their AD to stop being a coward and get the fuck into the SEC. They were both hanging around for 2011 but I doubt anybody thought they were going to stay anyway. We, after all, basically wimped out on our plan to join the then PAC 10 because we were worried we would kill the A&M rivalry...supposedly. This was because A&M already had its heart set on the SEC and did not want to go out west with us. (again...supposedly what actually happened back then is mysterious and clouded in propaganda and nonsense)

LHN gave them a reason but let's not forget that the idea of a Big 12 Network had been floated but it had been voted down by schools who thought it would lose money, UT might have been a part of that decision but UT was hardly the only party who held that opinion. Then UT asked A&M if they wanted to go along with forming a Lone Star Network that would showcase both schools and A&M turned us down. I mean that kind of shows how dysfunctional and bizarre this league was back during that time. Nobody is willing to tell the whole truth about what happened so we might never fully know without some historian going through tons of emails and internal memos and I would hope historians have more important things to study. I don't doubt UT is at fault in many cases, but I disliked our AD so that just might be my own prejudice talking.

I could say that NU needed to leave because they couldn't compete with us, but that wouldn't make any sense. They had more success, it seems to me, in the Big 12 competing with us than they have ever enjoyed in the Big 10. But what is done is done.

Certainly those programs who won those national titles, and got all those trips to Omaha, deserve hype but why would the other schools who did not get any of that deserve hype? Why would schools from outside the SEC who have won national titles recently not deserve hype? Why do they deserve to be ignored? I just feel like schools like Arizona can win titles and have great years but are basically afterthoughts because they aren't SECSECSEC. It pisses me off. Yes in 2019 four of the teams in Omaha were SEC...but there were four others to. 

Also: it is bad for the sport as it kills interest outside of one geographic area and it might be creating the circumstances for SEC dominance unfairly rather than reflecting it. So it is not so much that Vanderbilt is over-rated or something, that is ridiculous.

My reply to you would be I wish there was a better Pac-10 network (is it even still around??) to watch. Good football and baseball. I wish there was a Big 12 network to showcase the whole conference equally. I wish there was a ACC Network.. theres a lot of other teams that deserve the attention, but sadly it seems the dolalrs and eyeballs don't follow to make it happen. 

I will concede your points, I know the Big 12 was in a bad place around 2010, and I know yall had no love for your AD (I started following you closer in 08 when started dating my now wife, No pics).  Nebraska is a dumpster fire set with dreams of the past. let it burn. 

So I think this loops back to why would Espn show a season long series on Mississippi, a team that's made Omaha once in the past 50 years. well because they draw eyeballs. Should it be on one of the other channels vs SEC Network? not likely but I dont know the time slot you saw it in, might of been filler. 

I haven't looked does the LHM have a season long series on the baseball team? If so, yes.. it should also be shown on the main channels. 

8 minutes ago, Texas Wahoo said:

Ummm... There is an ACC Network that is very similar to the SEC Network.

There is a PAC 12 network as well.

None of the conference networks are really that interesting IMO. If you are not already a fan of that school anyway.

1 minute ago, utee94 said:

Is it, though? :)

Thor: Ragnarok / Memes - TV Tropes

I can't say I have watched a lot of either of them, but they seem to have similar programming, including terrible regional radio shows turned into television shows.  Other than live programming, they both do a better job than LHN of not showing the same thing over and over again.  At least during the sports-year, it would be great if LHN at least did a 15-30 minute sports-center style show every weekday.