Pick-up game in Heaven -- you get first pick

TexArcher

Regulation indoor court with four 12-minute quarters, refs, and today's rules.

Everyone who ever played is available at the absolute peak of his skills.

Is it folly to suggest anyone but Jordan?  But what about LeBron?  What about Magic elevating everyone around him?  What about peak Shaq or Dream giving you 28 and 12 while shooting over 60%?  

What say you?

14 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

Is it folly to suggest anyone but Jordan? 

Yes. I think 2nd pick is more interesting. Although I think that's LeBron. So maybe 3rd is where the real debate begins. 

And Hakeem never cracked 60 FG% LOL. Next you're going to tell me he averaged 8 blocks a game. 

Edited by ztejas
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Yes. I think 2nd pick is more interesting. Although I think that's LeBron. So maybe 3rd is where the real debate begins. 

And Hakeem never cracked 60 FG% LOL. Next you're going to tell me he averaged 8 blocks a game. 

On a team where he wasn't expected to be the entire offense and beat double teams all night, he would.  

3 minutes ago, gyroprotagonist said:

misleading title is misleading.  That's not a pick up game.  if it's a true pick up game, I am taking Shaq.  aint no charges in pickup games

JrPu.gif

who is going to stop that?

I might agree. If the other team takes Shaq... do you then have to take Ben Wallace? Or do you take someone like Duncan and hope he can do a good enough job?

• Like 1

Wilt Chamberlain.  The NBA changed the rules because he was so dominant including widening the lane, instituting offensive goaltending, revising rules governing inbounding the ball, and shooting free throws (Chamberlain would leap with the ball from behind the foul line to deposit the ball in the basket).  

• Hook 'Em 3

Jordan is the only answer, because he's not only the best player, but also the biggest psycho about winning. If he's the GOAT in NBA sanctioned, properly officiated games, then he's untouchable in a pick up game where foul calls are for pussies and there's no technical fouls for trash talking. Michael might break some people out there. I could see him trash talking Kyrie into retirement. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

Starting five

Michael Jordan, Larry Bird, Irvin Johnson, LeBron James, and Hakeem Olajuwon

not as much rebounding as you would like, but still pretty good defense.  And they would beat the snot out of anyone by intimidation alone.

The second five is much more thought-provoking:

Oscar Robinson, Jerry West, Dirk Nowitzki, Tim Duncan, and Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

these five would take the first five to game seven in a series

the third five is really interesting

Pete Maravich, Julius Irving, Bill Russell, Wilt Chamberlin, and David Robinson

the third five may be as good in seven games as either of the first two groups

Shaquille O'Neal should be on here somewhere, but you didn't say whether injuries and staying healthy were criteria or not

Oh, and Kobe Bryant is not on the list because there are no rapists in heaven

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

I disagree with you, Olajuwon was better in every phase over O'Neal.  In 1995 O'Neal was in his prime and Olajuwon ate his lunch and refused to let Shaq even get supper in the NBA Finals; which of course Houston won in four straight without so much as a whimper from O'Neal.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Speedway said:

I disagree with you, Olajuwon was better in every phase over O'Neal.  In 1995 O'Neal was in his prime and Olajuwon ate his lunch and refused to let Shaq even get supper in the NBA Finals; which of course Houston won in four straight without so much as a whimper from O'Neal.

Cherry picking

In 20 regular season matchups, Shaq has gotten the better of Hakeem, leading his teams to 14 wins and six losses. Shaq's numbers against Hakeem are also more impressive—he averaged 22.1 points on 54.4 percent shooting, 12.4 rebounds, 3.6 assists, 0.9 steals and 1.8 blocks.

In eight playoff matchups, Hakeem holds the edge in wins with a five- to three-game advantage. This includes when these two legendary centers met up in the 1995 NBA Finals, where Hakeem got the better of him in every contest, leading the Houston Rockets to a sweep of the Orlando Magic. Hakeem outscored Shaq 32.8 points per game to Shaq’s 28.0 points per game.

To Shaq’s credit, he was only in his third season while Hakeem was at the top of his game. The Lakers’ version of Shaq would’ve fared far better against Hakeem compared to the younger Magic version.

However, Shaq’s numbers over the course of their playoff duels are far superior. The Big Diesel put up 28.8 points on 55.6 percent shooting, 11.4 rebounds, 5.1 assists, 0.5 steals and 3.3 blocks. The Dream countered with a respectable but inferior 23.0 points on 46.5 percent shooting, 9.4 rebounds, 3.0 assists, 1.6 steals and 1.4 blocks.

6 hours ago, hobbes2702 said:

Jordan is the only answer

Pete Maravich is strong, as far as dead'ens go.

Especially if it's at peak Pistol, regardless of health.

FWIW, i agree on His Airness for all-timers.

Edited by slorch

3 minutes ago, Harrison Stafford said:

Wilt Chamberlain combined size, strength, and freak athleticism.  Wilt ran a 4.6 hand timed 40.  Shaq ran a 5.8 hand timed 40.  Wilt all day.

Court's only 31yards* long...

*almost

Insert Bum Phillips' comment when asked about Earl not being able to run a mile.

Edited by slorch

I don't know what type rich-white-ass-country-club pick up games the OP grew up with, but on the mean streets of middle-class america where I'm from there ae no refs or quarters or fouls. WE keep it real.

My picks for a "real" pickup game would be 

Jordan 

Bird

Shaq

Rick Mahorn or Bill Laimbeer

Steph Curry

5 minutes ago, Speedway said:

Yes I was cherry-picking.  I cherry-picked the biggest games, on the biggest stage, for the biggest prize.  And O'Neal was O-fer.  When it was for all the marbles, Olajuwon was better.

I said in his prime. Those games were when Shaq was new in the league and Hakeem was in his prime. Doesn't really make a fuck what kind of games they were. We are talking about a pick up game team not a Finals team

3 minutes ago, 0xdeadbeef said:

I don't know what type rich-white-ass-country-club pick up games the OP grew up with, but on the mean streets of middle-class america where I'm from there ae no refs or quarters or fouls. WE keep it real.

Jordan 

Bird

Shaq

Steph Curry

If you want an intimidator, I’d go with Oakley or Maurice Lucas.

6 minutes ago, 0xdeadbeef said:

Jordan 

Bird

Shaq

Steph Curry

If I had to pick an instigator or "mindfuck' guy, it'd be The Worm, all fucking day.

Edited by slorch

Under these parameters no way Mj should be the first pick. Peak Mj would be what- 92?  That dude wasn’t hitting 3’s. 
people just don’t understand that the modern offense has basically solved basketball. If you aren’t shooting 40 or 50% of your shots as threes you are giving away points. 1992 MJ playing in today’s game just isn’t the dominant force of nature he was back then. Harden, Steph and a handful of other guys are just more efficient. 
And I was old enough to be there for jordan and realize how great he was. But 1992 Jordan wasn’t made for this era. 

I’m taking 2012 Lebron. Height of his defensive powers, near peak playmaking and athleticism and 56% from the floor and 41% from the 3. That’s better, in today’s game, than older jordan. 
Next I want KD. He and Lebron could guard Jordan better than jordan could guard them. 
Harden at point. Curry at 2 and Hakeem at center. I think he’s the only guy athletic enough to play in today’s pace and space era. 
hive me those 5 and I will spread you out, shoot all over you and everyone there can play make. 
You want to take shaq?  Cool- he’s unplayable on defense. 
You want Jordan?  Cool, KD and Steph will trade 3s for 2’s.  You want Magic?  I get 90% of his playmaker mc with harden and 180% of his offense. 

based upon the way the rules were set up it just has to be dudes from today. And Hakeem- the most amazing athlete ever to play center. 

Steph Curry is guarding Magic or somewhere he can hide. 

• Like 1

Hardin and Steph are more efficient on offense, but Jordan is an all-time great defender.  They basically suck ass.

Curry would also get beat the fuck up in pick up game.

Edited by slorch

3 minutes ago, immortal13 said:

Shawn Kemp comes to mind

I was going with the guy you would least want to fight, not the guy who is most likely to put you on a poster.  Played a pickup game with Kemp once and got to throw him a lob pass.  Thought it was too high.  It wasn’t.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, slorch said:

Pete Maravich is strong, as far as dead'ens go.

Especially if it's at peak Pistol, regardless of health.

FWIW, i agree on His Airness for all-timers.

Pistol Pete came to my mind. 

Pick up ball? Larry Bird is in my top 5. Top trash talker, backed it up. Would give his body up. Just have to wait for him to die, though.

Edited by Deej