2021 NBA Offseason Thread: Business as Usual? -- Trades/Free Agency/Retirements/Etc.

Patrick Bateman

Maybe soon we can completely rid ourselves of the "NBA is rigged toward big market and superstars" narrative. It clearly doesn't make a shit. The game is getting more global and the way the league is getting consumed is trending in their favor. Hopefully they can figure out the CBA and get more parity in the league and more unpredictability in the post season. At some point, the game itself will be so big that there won't be any more "small market" teams.

https://sports.yahoo.com/you-dont-really-have-to-care-about-nba-television-ratings-180944196.html

The viewership share for this year's playoffs — the percentage of people with TVs in use that are watching the NBA — is at its highest since the league first began logging that data during the 2002-03 season. The NBA also happens to feature the youngest audience across major sports, one advertisers covet. 

That is why you have seen sourced reporting that anticipates a massive increase when the NBA's current media rights deal expires in 2025, like the one from CNBC's Jabari Young in March that set expectations at $75 billion — more than triple the existing package — even amid another regular-season ratings decline.

The NBA reaches a billion people in more than 215 countries across the world, and roughly three quarters of its viewers are outside the U.S., boosted by the popularity of Antetokounmpo, Embiid, Nikola Jokic, Luka Doncic, four of the top six vote-getters in the MVP race. Global viewers on League Pass for the playoffs are up 18% from last year and 24% from 2019, per the NBA. None of them are included in Nielsen ratings.

Neither is the majority of the NBA's 56 million Instagram followers, an audience that generated 6.55 billion views and counts about twice the following of the NFL, NHL and MLB combined. The league is approaching 9 billion lifetime views on YouTube — again, almost as many as the three other major American sports leagues combined. Nearly 70% of the NBA's social media followers are outside the U.S.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, SarkAfterDark said:

That’s a pretty low blow from Dame having that mentioned. If he wants out he should just leave it at that. And I believe the sexual assault allegations are from 15 years ago.

The fuck with this take? Where's the quote from Dame saying he wants out or that he is specifically opposed to billups? And if he is opposed to a guy that he has reason to believe is a sexual predator, that doesn't seem like a low blow.

8 minutes ago, Llogg said:

The fuck with this take? Where's the quote from Dame saying he wants out or that he is specifically opposed to billups? And if he is opposed to a guy that he has reason to believe is a sexual predator, that doesn't seem like a low blow.

It’s pretty well known Chris is Dame’s mouthpiece. Chris doesn’t put this out unless Dame tells him to do so. And I call it a low blow because I believe Dame is just using it as cover for forcing his way out of Portland.

But wife beater is ok..LOL.

I can't believe Dame gives a damn about either one of those old ass happenings.

18 minutes ago, Brothahorn said:

But wife beater is ok..LOL.

I can't believe Dame gives a damn about either one of those old ass happenings.

n/m Just realized you probably mean Kidd. That does detract from Dame's moral high ground. That said, I still don't know that I trust that Dame is behind this or said this.

Edited by Llogg
  • Like 1

who's wife beater?
My joke obviously missed.

Dame supposedly has a problem with Chauncey's alleged sexual assault. But doesn't mind Kidd's domestic abuse arrest. Silliness all the way around.

Since both Kidd and Billups have been coaching and working since retirement. Why is this even an issue?

Agreed that Dame probably doesn't and shouldn't care.

I don't like Dame as a player, but I'm not so sure he's trying to use the coaching search to get out of Portland.

Is the media going off on the Mavs for hiring Jason Kidd who is a known wife beater with a DWI charge that failed as a head coach with his first two teams? I doubt it, but correct me in case I missed that.

Some of the criticism is absolutely ridiculous. Check out this article: https://sports.yahoo.com/feel-unheard-reactions-controversial-nba-172617612.html

Earlier the complaint was that there weren't enough black head coaches in the NBA. Well two head coaching vacancies are going to be filled by black men (that were previously occupied by white male head coaches). But now it's Becky Hammon got passed up in favor of black men with questionable pasts and she has 7 years of NBA coaching experience. Stephen Silas, a black man, had 20 years of NBA coaching experience before he got his shot as a head coach. Maybe let Becky Hammon come out and make a statement regarding her job satisfaction?

You can't make everyone happy and there is always bound to be someone hellbent on stirring up controversy. But I fail to see how Dame is at fault here.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

I don't like Dame as a player, but I'm not so sure he's trying to use the coaching search to get out of Portland.

Is the media going off on the Mavs for hiring Jason Kidd who is a known wife beater with a DWI charge that failed as a head coach with his first two teams? I doubt it, but correct me in case I missed that.

Some of the criticism is absolutely ridiculous. Check out this article: https://sports.yahoo.com/feel-unheard-reactions-controversial-nba-172617612.html

Earlier the complaint was that there weren't enough black head coaches in the NBA. Well two head coaching vacancies are going to be filled by black men (that were previously occupied by white male head coaches). But now it's Becky Hammon got passed up in favor of black men with questionable pasts and she has 7 years of NBA coaching experience. Stephen Silas, a black man, had 20 years of NBA coaching experience before he got his shot as a head coach. Maybe let Becky Hammon come out and make a statement regarding her job satisfaction?

You can't make everyone happy and there is always bound to be someone hellbent on stirring up controversy. But I fail to see how Dame is at fault here.

Yes, as they should.  Kidd is a terrible hire from an optics standpoint and he's questionable from a basketball one.  But Cuban and the Mavs deserve all the scrutiny and criticism they have gotten and are likely to get on this hire.  It's a really tone deaf one.

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/why-hiring-jason-kidd-as-dallas-mavericks-coach-creates-more-questions-than-answers/

Along with the article above and because we were in going into the weekend in the summer, the Kidd hire likely hasn't faced it toughest critics yet.  

And I don't understand your argument..... Silas was hired because of his father, he had no professional basketball experience nor international coaching/playing experience.  His father, a noted minority trailblazer was hired with no coaching experience and 0 years after retiring from the game.  He's obviously an outlier but comparing Hammons to Silas is apples to oranges.  I don't really have an issue with the Chauncey hire, most "star" players get to the jump the line because of the experiences..... fair or not.  I'm not going to crush Lillard either as Chauncey's allegations were a long time ago, he was never criminally charged, and he's never had another issue that I've heard about.  I have hard time crushing a guy for a non-crime decades ago.

The bigger problems for Portland are first, is Lillard the guy to be a #1 on a championship squad?  I have my doubts.  Secondly, if you think he is, you're going to need a very strong #2 and Portland doesn't have that or the draft capital to get one...... how will they remake the roster around a dubious choice for a championship lynchpin?

Edited by Patrick Bateman
  • Hook 'Em 1

Haynes source is Dame himself. They are boys, this is known. So whatever Haynes says is courtesy of Dame. I agree Dame doesn’t really care about the allegations which is why it was bullshit to have Haynes include that in the article. Dame is pretty active on social media let’s see if he rebutes what was said.

9 minutes ago, SarkAfterDark said:

Haynes source is Dame himself. They are boys, this is known. So whatever Haynes says is courtesy of Dame. I agree Dame doesn’t really care about the allegations which is why it was bullshit to have Haynes include that in the article. Dame is pretty active on social media let’s see if he rebutes what was said.

He already did see above tweet.

1 minute ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Yes, as they should.  Kidd is a terrible hire from an optics standpoint and he's questionable from a basketball one.  But Cuban and the Mavs deserve all the scrutiny and criticism they have gotten and are likely to get on this hire.  It's a really tone deaf one.

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/why-hiring-jason-kidd-as-dallas-mavericks-coach-creates-more-questions-than-answers/

Along with the article above and because we were in going into the weekend in the summer, the Kidd hire likely hasn't faced it toughest critics yet.  

And I don't understand your argument..... Silas was hired because of his father, he had no professional basketball experience nor international coaching/playing experience.  His father, a noted minority trailblazer was hired with no coaching experience and 0 years after retiring from the game.  He's obviously an outlier but comparing Hammons to Silas is apples to oranges.  I don't really have an issue with the Chauncey hire, most "star" players get to the jump the line because of the experiences..... fair or not.  I'm nog going to crush Lillard either as Chauncey's allegations were a long time ago, he was never criminally charged, and he's never had another issue that I've heard about.  I have hard time crushing a guy for a non-crime decades ago.

The bigger problems for Portland are first, is Lillard the guy to be a #1 on a championship squad?  I have my doubts.  Secondly, if you think he is, you're going to need a very strong #2 and Portland doesn't have that or the draft capital to get one...... how will they remake the roster around a dubious choice for a championship lynchpin?

The Kidd hire is absolutely terrible for the Mavericks because I don't think he's a very good coach. Now he might have learned something during his time as an assistant with the Lakers, but we won't know that until later. Given Kidd's past, the Mavs could potentially spin it into a positive if they have Kidd come out as an advocate against domestic abuse having learned from his past mistakes (2001). But Kidd has already paid for his crimes, he was not exiled from the NBA, and has kept his nose clean since his DWI on July 15, 2012. The Mavericks need to overhaul their corporate culture, but there is no legitimate indication that Kidd will create or contribute to the type of problems that have been plaguing the Mavericks' front office. There have been no reported criminal/professional complaints about Kidd in nearly 9 years.  

Overall, I don't see any current Mavericks players or even Dirk Nowitzki (who was instrumental in Kidd's hire) getting the same flak that Damian Lillard is getting regarding head coaching hires. My point in bringing up Stephen Silas is to counter those in the media (or wherever else) clamoring for Becky Hammon to be a head coach specifically citing her 7 years as an NBA assistant. Stephen Silas played four years of college ball at Brown (unimpressive I know), worked for the NBA Retired Players Organization, and indeed received plenty of coaching opportunities because of his father. Paul Silas has been out of the NBA since 2012, but Stephen has stuck in the NBA without interruption since then and he was the Mavs top assistant coach for 2-3 years prior to getting a head coaching opportunity. For those people complaining that Becky Hammon has been unfairly passed up for head coaching opportunities, they might want to do a little more research on what the hiring process is like and about the backgrounds of other NBA head coaches.

• Like 1

I get the blowback for Kidd though that was a long time ago and there have not been any similar issues.

The Chauncey stuff is interesting.   It was something that may or may not have happened 23 yrs ago.   There were no charges filed and he's not had a single incident since then.   He's by all accounts been a model citizen and not just by NBA player standards.   Should he never get a coaching job?   What sort of penance would be satisfactory to make him "eligible" to those that have an issue with him.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

This is maybe the most explosive story of the offseason for this board..... In addition to this, rumor is Luka was pissed Porzingis was hitting up the strip clubs during the playoffs.

I think it would be a bigger story if they didn't desparately need to dump his contract either way. Might hurt their trade talks a bit, I suppose. 

Luka is really following in LeBron's footsteps as player-GM. 

Keeping your superstar(s) happy is way more important than what a coach can draw up on a whiteboard. Guess coaching x's and o's matter but its a bit overrated. Managing egos is more important at the top of the NBA and a lot of superstars like former NBA players coaching them.

Steph Curry, Lebron, and Kawhi have won every single championship the last nine years. Giannis (2x MVP) favored to win one this season. You either have the elite talent and can keep them happy or you are in trouble.

So if dame is on the outs... where does he go? Seems like the 76ers are an obvious landing spot with Simmons and draft picks and salary fillers. I read on Reddit this morning that it’s feasible that GSW could actually put together a package keeping their 3 core players and adding dame. 

14 hours ago, UDontKnow said:

For those people complaining that Becky Hammon has been unfairly passed up for head coaching opportunities, they might want to do a little more research on what the hiring process is like and about the backgrounds of other NBA head coaches.

These people don't care. They think unless you're black or female you are undeserving of your new head coaching gig. You think they are actually doing research on the matter?

Oh - by the way - seems to me like 3/4 of the last head coaches remaining are black. This shit needs to have a stake driven in it. 

Edited by ztejas

22 minutes ago, Jhawk said:

So if dame is on the outs... where does he go? Seems like the 76ers are an obvious landing spot with Simmons and draft picks and salary fillers. I read on Reddit this morning that it’s feasible that GSW could actually put together a package keeping their 3 core players and adding dame. 

That's a strange one.  There's really no natural place for him and if you do acquire him, it likely costs Wiseman and their first rounder this year along with probably Wiggins to make the money work.  The backcourt would be bad defensively and they'd be pretty thing again.  Makes them sort of a pale or poor man's version of when KD was there.  It's an interesting scenario but if I'm the W's, I probably don't go that direction....

Certainly Philly or maybe the Cans if they package Ball and bunch of picks.  Celtics will always be rumored.  Maybe the Clippers!!!!  PG for Lillard.

Edited by Patrick Bateman

27 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

That's a strange one.  There's really no natural place for him and if you do acquire him, it likely costs Wiseman and their first rounder this year along with probably Wiggins to make the money work.  The backcourt would be bad defensively and they'd be pretty thing again.  Makes them sort of a pale or poor man's version of when KD was there.  It's an interesting scenario but if I'm the W's, I probably don't go that direction....

Certainly Philly or maybe the Cans if they package Ball and bunch of picks.  Celtics will always be rumored.  Maybe the Clippers!!!!  PG for Lillard.

Portland's going to want compensation as what the Pelicans received from the Lakers for AD or what OKC received for PG13.

Not sure what team is going to want to do that for a guy who turns 31 next month and who's certainly a good player but not among that first tier of stars.

• Like 1

The 4 years remaining on the contract are going to demand a high price. I could see PG for dame but if I’m dame I look at kawhi and wonder if his heart is in the game or if he is going to sit out every time he has a hangnail. Philly makes all kinds of sense to me and they might as well make a run at it with dame before embiid starts to feel like he’s carrying a team and wants out because he can’t get them a championship alone. 

12 minutes ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

A step behind Steph Curry on defense.

But elite offense is more valuable than elite defense so Dame >>> Ben Simmons or Rudy Gobert

No argument there. But how much would you give up for the right to pay the, like, 11th best player in the league $44M, who stands six foot nothing and expects (and reasonably so) to have the keys handed to him when he walks in the building?

If dame wants to win going to the warriors wouldn’t be the worst idea. If he wants to lead the team then Philly makes all kinds of sense for him and Philly. I’m not sure he wants or needs to be the face of the franchise. I think he can be a very solid #2 and would be fine with it. Especially if he wants to win. 

Which brings another thought... who is the worst best player that can be #1 for your team and you win a championship? 

Edited by Jhawk