New Master and Commander announced

Master and Commander would have won Best Picture and Director in 2003 if the Academy hadn't decided to give Lords of the Rings and Peter Jackson the awards for the overall trilogy.

I'm not saying it's a movie that I want to watch every weekend, but it's up there as one of the top 20 films in recent history.

• Hook 'Em 7

33 minutes ago, mchookem said:

"do you not know, in the service, one must always choose the lesser of two weevils?"

love it. it's not that old! why a remake?? 

sigh. there really are only a finite number of stories, aren't there? 😒

Sounds more like it's going to be a prequel than a remake

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I'm a sucker for books and movies about the old seafaring days. I took a history class at UT, and we were required/encouraged to read parts of Two Years before the Mast. Story about a guy in the 1830s that sailed out of Boston for California, when California was part of Mexico and only have 1000s of residents. I still have the book 25+ years later and have read it at least a dozen times.

• Hook 'Em 2

Hell yes, and the ship they used is in San Diego if you want to tour it. A couple times a year I jump up and yell at the tourists 

Do you want to see a guillotine in Piccadilly?

No! 

Want to call that raggedy-ass Napoleon your king?

No! 

You want your children to sing the "La Marseillaise?"

No! 

2 hours ago, Parliament said:

I have a friend who's a huge history buff.  He says the bad guys was supposed to be the USS Constitution, but it'd be bad for book/movie sales.  So they changed it to France.  Because screw France.

They use parts of several books in the first movie.  

filming movies in sailing vessels is hideously expensive.  I really hope they don’t fuck this up.  I’m going to rewatch the original tomorrow night.  

Mr Science almost got Darwinned...

Love the movie.  Lots of little nuances are not caught on the first or second viewing.

Edited by slorch

Good film. Watched it recently for the first time in awhile. Not sure it's best picture level but underrated is probably a good assessment. 

A remake or new addition can't be any worse than Wonder Woman 12 or whatever the fuck is being shoved down our throats. 

5 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Commentary on the movie 

The only reason I never bought a copy on blu ray back in the day was because I couldn't find one with extras and commentary track. So I'll have to check this out.

Cue Belushi as Captain of the Raging Queen.

Agree with above posters that M&C was outstanding, right down to the zoom-through-blurry-old-telescope-lens shot of the French captain glaring across the waves as his ship is bearing down on Aubrey's ship.

The Aubrey series by Patrick O'Brian is joyfully addictive.  The author creates knife edge suspense from cat and mouse pursuits, battle strategery and clever deception.  I only read one of the books; listened to all the others, well narrated by Patrick Tull, a man with a gift.

There is some sort of intrigue about O'Brian's service background and rejection by the Royal Navy before WW2.  IDGAF, the gentleman brings the turn of the 18th/19th centuries to life like few I've read.

Bring it on and more like it!

• Hook 'Em 2

14 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

20 books. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aubrey–Maturin_series

I've wanted to start the series but afraid I won't stop until I read them all.

It will be much worse than that.  You’ll end up going down a napoleonic wars historical fiction rabbit hole.  There are so many series and I can’t stop reading them.  

Edited by kevwun
  • Hook 'Em 1

21 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Master and Commander would have won Best Picture and Director in 2003 if the Academy hadn't decided to give Lords of the Rings and Peter Jackson the awards for the overall trilogy.

I'm not saying it's a movie that I want to watch every weekend, but it's up there as one of the top 20 films in recent history.

Was coming here to post this. It was the best picture that year, a masterpiece of pacing and acting. Never a plodding or wasted moment, unlike Return of the King. 

I would pay to watch Bettany and Crowe debate whether or order Chinese or pizza. 

Edited by 956 Worldwide
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 6/5/2021 at 2:45 AM, notre dame joe said:

And all were white.

Bullshit.  The Englishmen were all white.  English men of war had incredible diverse crews.  Of course the officers were all English.  As for the foremast Jacks they didn't give a fuck what you looked like as long as you could pull a rope, trim a sail, or charge onto an enemy deck with a boarding axe.  They didn't even care if you spoke English.

• Fuck You 1

On 6/5/2021 at 6:58 AM, kevwun said:

It will be much worse than that.  You’ll end up going down a napoleonic wars historical fiction rabbit hole.  There are so many series and I can’t stop reading them.  

And that's before you go down the YouTube rabbit hole - there's hundreds of hours of videos covering both M&C, as well as the actual historical background.

On 6/4/2021 at 4:47 PM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

20 books. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aubrey–Maturin_series

I've wanted to start the series but afraid I won't stop until I read them all.

21 if you count the posthumously released "21".

I have read the series (1-20) twice and it was not an all consuming endeavor with late night page turning.  The writing is such that you must spend some time with it in an effortful process.  In fact I stopped from time to time to read other stuff.  the writing is just so good that you will be pretty disappointed with almost anything else.

A couple of my favorite recollections as best as I can recall:

1.Dr. Matrurin had taken a sloth on board as kind of naturalist observation subject.  Aubrey was dismayed that the creature took an almost instant dislike to him while being docile with everyone else on board including the shrewish Killick, his cabin steward.  One day Aubrey discovered the sloth approaching him as he was writing at his desk and was able to ply the the creature with a small sip of rum.  After taking the drink the sloth retreated and Aubrey went back to work only to be interrupted minutes later with the sloth gently pulling on his uniform sleeve for another drink.  Aubrey being pleased with himself continued the practice until one day Stephen discovered the sloth had gotten into some rations and was completely drunk.  Irate, Matrurin berated Jack telling him that he had "debauched his sloth".

2. Jack and Stephen were debating the merits of the punishment of death for a sailor who had been caught having relations with goat.  The argument was quite heated with Stephen arguing for leniency and Jack for the rule of law in the navy.  At one point they were interrupted by Killick serving tea.  Jack asked Stephen if he wanted milk in his tea, to which Stephen asked, if it was goats milk...."the" goat's milk. Jack responded, "yes, I believe it is". Stephen relied "perhaps not".

Can't wait.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 year later...
On 6/4/2021 at 8:50 PM, TwiceHorn said:

In addition to basically loving the flick, it turned me on to Luigi Boccherini.

La Musica Notturna delle Strade di Madrid remains probably my favorite classical piece.

Well said, Twice. Know nothing of Boccherini or his intent with that piece, but it meanders between soaring grace and tongue-in-cheek playfulness that borders on whimsical. Always leaves me grinning.

6 hours ago, MissingInAction said:

If you're a fan of this flick I highly recommend Black Sails on Starz.

Excellent cast, writing, direction, sets etc. Also tits. 

The first few Pirates movies are also very watchable as a trilogy. 

At the very least the first one is great. 

22 hours ago, PilotsError said:

Do it.  

I wanted to like the book because I really liked the movie but I just couldn't get into it.  Gave it 100 pages and it just didn't do anything for me so I stopped.  I know I'm in the minority.

The first book is slow go get going but once the Cacafuego situation manifests it gets much better.  I'd say try to finish it and then make a call.  Like any series it takes a while to develop the characters and hit it's stride.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1