Swimming and Diving National Champs

Guest Simkins Rat

1 hour ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Yep Cal just essentially clinched the national championship. Texas men will finish runner up, just like the women

Won the last race and I think outscored Cal today. Yesterday got us

Unfortunately Texas didn't get the diving points they usually get.

Scoggin does a great job for the diving team. The women's diving team scored the most points at the national championships compared to other teams.

Just not the year for the men's diving team...Windle's legal issues, the national Canadian team member not enrolling, etc.

• Rage+1 1

2 minutes ago, Aleemay said:

Unfortunately Texas didn't get the diving points they usually get.

Scoggin does a great job for the diving team. The women's diving team scored the most points at the national championships compared to other teams.

Just not the year for the men's diving team...Windle's legal issues, the national Canadian team member not enrolling, etc.

Wow I missed Windle’s legal issues. That’s def not great 

Edited by Js1

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Random question... Why did Texas become a power in S&D?  Like, I get that Eddie Reese is the goat, but someone had to have the vision to hire him and back that program financially.  It's not like swimming and diving is some huge sport in Texas culture, like wrestling in OK/PA/IA. Just curious as to how Texas became the preeminent power in the sport. 

• 1 month later...
Random question... Why did Texas become a power in S&D?  Like, I get that Eddie Reese is the goat, but someone had to have the vision to hire him and back that program financially.  It's not like swimming and diving is some huge sport in Texas culture, like wrestling in OK/PA/IA. Just curious as to how Texas became the preeminent power in the sport. 
The state of Texas has always had some of the best club swimming programs in the country.

The swim center is over 40 years old. It's still one of the best facilities in the world. Imagine recruiting to train and compete in that pool in 1980s?

• 3 weeks later...

With just 1 day remaining in the womens NCAA championships, Virginia has run away with the title. Texas in good position for another runner up finish.

2023 NCAA Championships – Team Standings after Day 3 (Top 10 teams listed)
1. Virginia – 374.5
2. TEXAS – 272.5
3. Stanford – 239
4. Louisville – 191.5
5. NC State – 190
6. Ohio State – 170
7. Florida – 146
8. Tennessee – 135
9. North Carolina – 125
10. Indiana – 121

23 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:

With just 1 day remaining in the womens NCAA championships, Virginia has run away with the title. Texas in good position for another runner up finish.

UVA wins their third straight title with 541.5 points. Texas runner up with 414.5, the most since 1994. Stanford third at 333. Huge gap between first and second and slightly smaller gap between second and third. 

This got us back into 1st in the Director Cup Standings. 

• Hook 'Em 1

After day 2 of the NCAA's, Texas sits in 2nd place. 2 more days of competition left

1. California 184   
2. Texas 165
3. Arizona St  154 
4. NC State 151.5
5. Florida   145   
6. Indiana 99
7. Tennessee  87   
8. Stanford 74
9. Auburn  57  
10. Louisville 55
11. Virginia 53  
12. Virginia Tech 52
13. Texas A&M  44 
14. Georgia 36
15. Ohio St  31.5  

17 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:

After day 2 of the NCAA's, Texas sits in 2nd place. 2 more days of competition left

1. California 184   
2. Texas 165
3. Arizona St  154 
4. NC State 151.5
5. Florida   145   
6. Indiana 99
7. Tennessee  87   
8. Stanford 74
9. Auburn  57  
10. Louisville 55
11. Virginia 53  
12. Virginia Tech 52
13. Texas A&M  44 
14. Georgia 36
15. Ohio St  31.5  

Any projections out there on where the teams might finish based on the results so far? Have we gained or lost expected points?

All I know is it should be a close finish. After Day 3, Texas is in 3rd but its pretty tight up top and a 3 team race for the championship

Men - Team Rankings - Through Event 14                      

1. California 315 
 2. Arizona St  302
 3. Texas 292
 4. Indiana 259
 5. Florida 251
 6. NC State  246.5
 7. Tennessee 144
 8. Stanford 112.5
 9. Auburn 96
 9. Virginia Tech  96
 11. Louisville  71
 12. Virginia 67
 13. Texas A&M   65
 14. Ohio St  54.5
 15. Georgia   53  

2 minutes ago, SomeoneYouKnow2 said:

I can't remember the last time we weren't first or second. Has to have not happened many times over the last 15 years or so.

Finished 4th in 2013. Since 2008, we’ve only finished outside of 1st or 2nd twice - 2013 and 2023. We didn’t finish in the top 2 at all between 2004 and 2007 though (3rd, 7th, 4th, 5th)

Edited by Js1

Texas actually scored above where they were expected to at the NCAA championships. 

I think part of the reason Kibler turned pro (besides the money) is I don't think he believed Texas was going to be a national title caliber team this year. Shame because Texas probably would have won it all with Kibler. 

Kibler would have added 50+ points but also subtracted points from Cal/ASU by placing above several of their swimmers. 

2 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Reese on the hot seat imo

https://swimswam.com/2023-mens-ncaa-championships-final-score-analysis/

Funny enough this was one of his best coaching jobs to date. This was a limited roster but Reese went full Reese at the NCAA championships finishing +170.5 above their projected scoring total. 

That's why Kibler went pro. He didn't think Texas was a contender but they certainly were if he returned. Never underestimate Reese even with a limited roster. 

• 3 months later...

We don't appear to be active in the transfer portal unless I have missed some news.  I follow on SwimSwam and see almost daily articles on good/great swimmers entering the portal.  Any insight as to why it looks like we are not participating in the portal action?

22 minutes ago, BRLA said:

We don't appear to be active in the transfer portal unless I have missed some news.  I follow on SwimSwam and see almost daily articles on good/great swimmers entering the portal.  Any insight as to why it looks like we are not participating in the portal action?

We have 10 or 11 All Americans back + three top 20 recruits incoming. Might be pretty selective in terms of the portal on the men’s side

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, BRLA said:

You talking about the women or men? The women's team is bringing in a loaded recruiting class (4 top 15 recruits) to a roster that already has a lot of talent. 

https://swimswam.com/re-rank-top-20-ncaa-swimming-recruits-in-the-girls-high-school-class-of-2023/

• Hook 'Em 1

• 4 weeks later...

So can Texas capitalize on Cal and Stanford being fucked by their conference? Any moves we can make, or talent to go after (assuming the B1G doesn't take 'em)?

Edited by crony
Sorry, don't really follow much about swimming/diving, but this seems like a great opportunity.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...