Swimming and Diving National Champs

Guest Simkins Rat

Jordan Windle is taking his COVID year and coming back!

https://www.swimmingworldmagazine.com/news/lets-run-it-back-texas-diver-jordan-windle-to-return-for-fifth-year/

Tuesday, he was named the national diver of the year by the College Swim Coaches Association of America. Windle won the one-meter diving event at NCAAs, was second in the three-meter final and fourth in platform. He won the NCAA platform title in 2019.

A 12-time All-American and four-time Big 12 Men’s Diver of the Year, Windle is a huge piece in Texas’s quest to repeat as national champion next year, an effort that won’t include coach Eddie Reese, who announced his retirement on Monday.

He can be five-time Big 12 Men's Diver of the Year.  What a badass thing that would be. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 4 weeks later...

I get the sense this is just gonna be an internal hire. Maybe I’m wrong. 

I read somewhere that Reese was still going to be involved but just on his own time. 

Sounds like maybe they hire an assistant on staff, let Reese assist him for a few years, and then transition. 

Just now, texasstrong12 said:

I get the sense this is just gonna be an internal hire. Maybe I’m wrong. 

I read somewhere that Reese was still going to be involved but just on his own time. 

Sounds like maybe they hire an assistant on staff, let Reese assist him for a few years, and then transition. 

So Wyatt Collins, overseen by Eddie as HC Emeritus? 

13 minutes ago, Js1 said:

So Wyatt Collins, overseen by Eddie as HC Emeritus? 

Seems like it could be. He's young and has been with Eddie since '14. 

Kris Kubic was Eddie's right hand man for like 30 years. Maybe he would come out of retirement? 

Either way, the next coach has a big advantage if he can keep Matt Scoggin. He's developed Texas into one of the best diving programs in the country. All the talk about Eddie but no chance Texas wins the title this year without diving. 

Edited by texasstrong12

Here's what I was referencing. 

"I am going to be a coach emeritus. That means I can still help and I want to do that. It's important for all of us. Working with swimmers has been one of the true joys of my life, and I definitely want to keep doing that. In my long life, I've discovered that the most important thing for us to do in this world is help others, whether it be for something simple or complex. Coaching allows me to do that."

https://texassports.com/news/2021/3/29/mens-swimming-and-diving-on-heels-of-2021-national-championship-eddie-reese-to-retire-after-43-seasons-at-texas.aspx#:~:text=AUSTIN%2C Texas — After 43 seasons,Texas Men's Swimming %26 Diving program.&text="I am going to be,important for all of us.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Yeah, if he just announced (or entered) the portal on Monday...  the school can't comment.  

He was probably there - no doubt about that.  But "he has not transferred to Texas" is entirely a semantics paperwork thing that hasn't been finished yet.  Has to be formally enter the portal, be accepted admitted by Texas and his ASA paperwork completed and processed by the AD before the school can talk about him. 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

Why did he wait so long?

I don’t know him, but I do know that he had a really rough last 12 months to the point where he considered not even swimming at the Olympic trials

also, if he was considering this he knew it wasn’t going to be a popular decision with the Aggie community so he probably wanted to wait as long as possible

i’ve also seen it written in a few places that he may not of been a good locker room presence the past 12 months

also on the transfer front, this is huge

https://swimswam.com/ncaa-scorer-cameron-auchinachie-transfers-from-denver-to-texas-as-grad-student/

• Hook 'Em 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Just now, Aleemay said:

Second place finish! Pretty efficient result, I think I saw somewhere that Texas had the fewest number of qualified swimmers for a top 10 team.

Nice comeback against Stanford to finish 2nd 

Women - Final Rankings                    

1. Virginia                        551.5   2. Texas                             406
  3. Stanford                        399.5   4. Alabama                           288
  5. NC State                          279   6. Louisville                      196.5
  7. Michigan                        184.5   8. California                        180
  9. Ohio St                           165  10. Tennessee                         127
 11. Indiana                           116  12. Kentucky                        115.5
 13. Florida                           115  14. UNC                               109
 15. Georgia                         104.5  16. Southern California               102
 17. Wisconsin                         100  18. Northwestern                       73
 19. Arizona                          52.5  20. Penn                             44.5
 21. Minnesota                          43  22. Miami (Florida)                  41.5
 23. Virginia Tech                      37  24. Duke                               36
 25. Missouri                           34  26. Arizona St                         29
 27. Rutgers                            18  28. Arkansas                           15
 29. Yale                             14.5  30. Purdue                             14
 31. South Carolina                      9  32. Lsu                                 8
 33. Notre Dame                          6  34. Wyoming                             4
 34. UCLA                                4  36. Florida Int'l                       3
 37. San Diego St                        2  37. Harvard                             2
 39. Texas A&M                           1     

1 minute ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Okay the diving results were uploaded. Texas finished 3rd, 4th , and 8th in that event.

Texas indeed finishes 2nd overall. Great job ladies!

We were the only team in the top 5 who had 3 divers in the finals 

4 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

And no Stanford or Virginia divers made the finals. Texas just needs to get more swimmers into finals of their race events to get over the hump and win a national championship.

Best finish since 1994. Capitani is so close 

1st day in the books, and Texas currently leads the overall standings. 3 more days of competition still to come

1. Texas                              74   2. Florida                            64
  3. California                         61   4. NC State                           57
  5. Stanford                           54   5. Arizona St                         54
  7. Louisville                         46   8. Georgia                            34
  9. Alabama                            30  10. Virginia Tech                      28
 11. Harvard                            22  11. Virginia                           22
 11. Indiana                            22  14. Ohio St                            18
 15. Michigan                           14  16. Arizona                            12
 17. Auburn                              6  18. Utah                                2

6 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

This one has. Eddie Reese is the best college coach, from any sport, of all time. 

I agree, but inevitably Reece will retire one day for good. No guarantee his successor will keep the train rolling, but certainly they will be handed the best set of keys any coach has ever been handed down 

according to this site, after 7 events Texas is still in first place.

Men - Team Rankings - Through Event 7                       

1. Texas                             180   2. Florida                           159
  3. California                        158   4. NC State                          124
  5. Arizona St                        111   6. Georgia                           100
  7. Stanford                           94   8. Indiana                            78
  9. Virginia                         70.5  10. Virginia Tech                      69
 11. Ohio St                            56  12. Arizona                            48
 13. Louisville                         46  14. Alabama                            41
 14. Harvard                            41  16. Lsu                                36
 17. Michigan                           24  18. Texas A&M                          20
 19. Tennessee                        17.5  20. Purdue                             16
 21. Columbia                           15  22. UNC                                11
 23. Auburn                              8  24. Princeton                           5
 25. Minnesota                           4  25. Smu                                 4
 27. Utah                                2  28. Georgia Tech                        1
  • Hook 'Em 1

Standings after day 3. 1 more day of competition remains

Men - Team Rankings - Through Event 14                      

1. California                      320.5   2. Texas                             313
  3. Florida                           272   4. NC State                          214
  5. Indiana                           183   6. Arizona St                        167
  7. Stanford                          159   8. Georgia                           150
  9. Louisville                        108   9. Ohio St                           108
 11. Virginia Tech                    89.5  12. Alabama                            80
 13. Virginia                         77.5  14. Harvard                            76
 15. Lsu                                65  16. Arizona                            61
 17. Purdue                             42  17. Texas A&M                          42
 19. Tennessee                        40.5  20. Michigan                           34
 21. Columbia                           30  22. Minnesota                          27
 23. UNC                                24  23. Southern California                24
 25. Auburn                             22  26. Missouri                            7
 26. Princeton                           7  28. Northwestern                      6.5
 28. Penn                              6.5  30. Notre Dame                          5
 31. Smu                                 4  31. Georgia Tech                        4
 31. Towson                              4  31. Wisconsin                           4
 35. Utah                                2