World Cup 2022 Qualifiers

Captain Ron

On 10/15/2021 at 1:02 PM, JNip said:

This looks fun. 

FIFA to investigate fan conduct from England-Hungary, Albania-Poland matches

FIFA has opened disciplinary proceedings looking into the clashes at Wembley Stadium between police and Hungarian supporters at Tuesday's game against England, saying it has "zero tolerance against such abhorrent behaviour".

World football's governing body added on Wednesday that it has also started investigating incidents during the game between Albania and Poland in Tirana, where bottles were thrown on the pitch after Poland scored.

r922103_2_1296x729_16-9.jpg&w=1140&cqual

Poland players saw bottles thrown at them by Albania fans. AP Photo/Franc Zhurda

..."FIFA has a very clear zero-tolerance stance against such abhorrent behaviour in football."... [😂]

https://www.espn.com/soccer/fifa-world-cup-qualifying-uefa/story/4496917/fifa-to-investigate-fan-conduct-from-england-hungaryalbania-poland-matches

Fifa is probably like... "That sort of stuff shouldn't be happening... in Europe." . . . "Oh, it's happening in CONCACAF too?...All game long?... Well, what do you expect?"

It's a horrible trend and if FIFA actually cares about optics and player safety, then it would take quick and decisive action. The best way to achieve this would be to take away the fans. Teams with fans that like to throw shit on the pitchh, make them host qualifiers in empty stadiums. It would end overnight.

If for some reason it doesn't, take away fans for the next three qualifiers. And on and on. They'll get the message, and they'll behave accordingly.

The feckless timeouts or whatever it was doing to censure El Tri fans for saying "Puto!" will never work because a brief pause doesn't hurt anyone.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

El Tri gets to play in an empty stadium in its next 2 qualifiers due to their fans sucking shit through a straw.  

If anyone had real balls they would give them 2 MORE games plus reinstate the initial 2nd game from the first ban (so 3 more games, 4 in total). That would cover all but their last home qualifier.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Trey3216 said:

El Tri gets to play in an empty stadium in its next 2 qualifiers due to their fans sucking shit through a straw.  

this ensures there will be fans when the U.S. goes to Mexico.

Mexico's next 3 matches are on the road, then they host Costa Rica and Panama.  so those matches will have no fans to yell puto.  then Mexico's next match is hosting the U.S.  so Mexico will have served its punishment, and there will be a full house when we play Mexico (most likely at Azteca).

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

this ensures there will be fans when the U.S. goes to Mexico.

Mexico's next 3 matches are on the road, then they host Costa Rica and Panama.  so those matches will have no fans to yell puto.  then Mexico's next match is hosting the U.S.  so Mexico will have served its punishment, and there will be a full house when we play Mexico (most likely at Azteca).

Yep.   And they’ll be the worst they’ve ever been 

58 minutes ago, ztejas said:

So amazing. "Pinche FIFA"

What match was this after? I remember it resurfacing after the Nations League final.

2014 World Cup

Arjen Robben’s Fabulous Flop in the round of 16… I believe, or maybe the Quarters, but México never makes it to the Quarters.

Edited by Napoleon
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Some details from yesterday and today in Africa:

Algeria 4-0 Djibouti
Burkina Faso 1-1 Niger 
CAF group A - this leave Algeria in the lead with 13 points, Burkina Faso in second with 11. They play Tuesday to decide who moves to the next round.

Mali 3-0 Rwanda
Uganda 1-1 Kenya
These results assure Mali of winning Group E, moving on to the next round.

Gabon-Libya
Angola-Egypt
Egypt comes into the day 4 points up on Libya (10,6) and can claim a spot in the next round with any result that equals or betters Libya's result.

Ethiopia 1-1 Ghana
S. Africa 1-0 Zimbabwe
This setups up the final day (Sunday) with Ghana hosting S. Africa. A Ghana win will advance them (they would cover differential or goals scored in any combination).

Tanzania 0-3 DR Congo
Benin 2-0 Madagascar
Bummer result for Tanzania who got eliminated due to Benin-DR Congo being on the next match day (Sunday). Standings are Benin 10, DR Congo 8, Tanzania 7. That match will determine who advances

• Like 1

UEFA has a lot of deciders coming up too

First Denmark and Germany are already through.

Italy-Switzerland play today and Italy leads group C on GD (14/+11) over Switzerland (14/+9).

England-Albania
Andora-Poland
England leads group I 20, 17 over Poland. England plays San Marino on the final day (Monday), so they will all but wrap up the group with a win today.

My friend is a gambling addict. He bet on England -2 and had a good day. 

England was up 5-0 halfway through the second half when I wrote this to my friend. 

“If Messi had decided to play for Spain rather than Argentina, he would have about 20 to 30 more international goals, because every 2-year cycle he would have had 2 games against an Andorra, Gilbraltar, Faroe Islands, Lichtenstein, Malta, Luxembourg… and then 2 games against an Albania, Montenegro, Kazakhstan, Georgia, Belarus, Cyprus, Slovenia, Israel, Romania… for either EURO or World Cup qualifying.

Holy Shit, Harry Kane must love qualifiers.“

The last bit was after checking the goal tally. And then I noticed England’s next opponent!

19855538-AB7C-4B64-BB59-20AB66D94A9B.png

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Firemans4Horn said:

What the fuck turf field was Canada playing on tonight? Reminded me of the plasticy Veterans Field death turf you would see a guy get paralyzed on ESPN Classic.

Canada is hosting México in Edmonton this coming Tuesday. The Mexicans are going to have fun.

🌧💨❄️☃️

7538CC5D-66B9-411C-A103-30F59944C971.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, shnsajax said:

Fucking Holland, gives up 2 late goals to Montenegro and instead of clinching they have a 2 point lead over Turkey and Norway and play Norway at home on Tuesday. Lose that game combined with a Turkey win and you are out another 4 years.

As a white guy who has been to all three* of those countries, I would pull for Holland & Norway…

Even though it would mean more to the Turks, who I think have more than double the population of those other two combined.

(Not going to look on Wiki at the moment.)

*just unintentionally threw major shade at/over Montenegro by overlooking them as a country. 😳

Edited by Napoleon

As a white guy who has been to all three of those countries, I would pull for Holland & Norway…
Even though it would mean more to the Turks, who I think have more than double the population of those other two combined.
(Not going to look on Wiki at the moment.)

I still have nightmares of Robben missing his chance in 2010. Turks would go crazy, but fuck that country and their bullshit. Give me the Holland and Haaland in the WC.

I called them Serbia Montenegro this morning so I get it.

I can’t imagine Portugal not making it. It seems like a final curtain call is almost required for CR7 & Messi.

Messi was a late game sub for Argentina in a game won on a Di Maria 👀 goal, but Messi & CR7 have been playing World Cups since 2006. 

It will be interesting to (1) See who Portugal gets matched up against, and (2) See how that game is officiated.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I didn't realize qualifiers were so far along for UEFA. 

Portugal got Ronaldo'd.

EUFA groups have only 6 or even 5 teams. 

So some groups only have 8 qualifiers to play.

Perhaps they snuck in a couple of games during CONCACAF’s Nations League window.

Asia is off until tomorrow. They are halfway through this round.
Looking at the groups the biggest surprise has to be Japan not being in a qualification spot right now. Group A sees Iran and S. Korea in the qualifying positions, no real shock there. But Saudi Arabia has taken one of the qualifying spots of Group B which is a bit of a surprise as everyone probably thought Japan and Australia easily through. There is a lot of games to be played, but Japan needing to come out of the Intercontinental playoff would be be a major upset.

Africa has no games of note today. Everyone playing today is already through or eliminated. Their big games determining group winners are tomorrow:
Group A: Algeria (13/+21) v Burkina Faso (11/+8)
Group B: Tunisia (10/+7) v Zambia (7/+1) and Mauritania v Equatorial Guinea (10/+1). This has the potential to be very interesting.
Group 😄 Nigeria (12/+6) v Cape Verde (10/+2)
Group 😧 Cameroon(12/+8) vs Ivory Coast (13/+8)
Remember their group winners still have to play a head to head with someone to qualify for the World Cup (those matches are in March)

South America plays again tomorrow. The big game is Argentina hosting Brazil. That's the 2nd game of the suspended match from back in September, on top of the rivalry. Additionally on the line is that Argentina can clinch a World Cup berth with a win and 2 of Chile, Uruguay or Colombia not winning (loss/draw) or a draw and 2 of those three losing.

Europe finishes up today and tomorrow, the games/groups of note:
Today:
Group 😄 N. Ireland v Italy (15/+11) and Switzerland (15/+9) v Bulgaria.
Group I: San Marino v England (23/+26) and Poland (20/+20) v Hungary
Tomorrow:
Group G: Netherlands (20/+23) v Norway (18/+9) and Montenegro v Turkey (18/+10), they are playing for the automatic qualifier and runner-up into the playoff.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

UEFA will wrap up group play this week. They crammed in qualifiers around Euro 2020 so they could get done by this week with Round 1. They won't play in the Jan-Feb 2022 international window, only the March one (only CONCACAF is scheduled to play Jan-Feb).

It appears that your “only CONCACAF is scheduled to play Jan-Feb” observation is very North Atlantic-centric.

Is CONMEBOL a fucking joke to you?! 🤯

1058C8B1-D4CB-4471-9E6F-31B059B0C902.jpeg

Edited by Napoleon

I can’t imagine Portugal not making it. It seems like a final curtain call is almost required for CR7 & Messi.
Messi was a late game sub for Argentina in a game won on a Di Maria goal, but Messi & CR7 have been playing World Cups since 2006. 
It will be interesting to (1) See who Portugal gets matched up against, and (2) See how that game is officiated.

There’s going to be some interesting matchups. Sweden, Poland, Russia, Wales, Scotland, and 1 of Italy or Switzerland, 1 of Holland, Norway, or Turkey in the Playoffs. Plus Finland and North Macedonia.

19 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

It appears that your “only CONCACAF is scheduled to play Jan-Feb” observation is very North Atlantic-centric.

Is CONMEBOL a fucking joke to you?! 🤯

1058C8B1-D4CB-4471-9E6F-31B059B0C902.jpeg

Actually that was after reading an older schedule (Here) I saw that showed the Feb-March window as CONCACAF only. Plus I blanked that CONMEBOL needed to reschedule a slate of games that were doubly postponed due to COVID this year.

17 minutes ago, shnsajax said:

There’s going to be some interesting matchups. Sweden, Poland, Russia, Wales, Scotland, and 1 of Italy or Switzerland, 1 of Holland, Norway, or Turkey in the Playoffs. Plus Finland and North Macedonia.

Don't forget that the Czech Republic* and Austria are also qualified for the playoff via the Nations League.

* This is either them or Wales, regardless of finish they are both through to the playoff.

Holland, Norway, or Turkey- this is the interesting one. 1 is making the World Cup, 1 is making UEFA's playoff and 1 is missing out completely.

One additional note on Holland, Norway, or Turkey - Louis van Gaal was injured in a bike accident over the weekend, might (likely) would miss the game (can't walk is in a wheelchair). It's also being played behind closed doors as a lock-down measure for COVID.

Edited by Captain Ron

4 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

Group 😄 N. Ireland v Italy (15/+11) and Switzerland (15/+9) v Bulgaria.

Group I: San Marino v England (23/+26) and Poland (20/+20) v Hungary

England is doing what we expected, they are crushing San Marino 6-0. Poland is even with Hungary 1-1, but that really doesn't matter.

AND HOLY SHIT!!!

Just now, Kringelbert Fishtybuns said:

Well Italy needs two now

Check that, just one for the time being.  VAR took off a Swiss goal.

It's so close now. Coming in it was this:

Italy 15 / +11 / 13 GS / 2 GA

Switzerland 15 / +9 / 11 GS / 2 GA

I mean now keeping clean sheets is important too.

ANOTHER VAR - Just offsides or it would have been 3-0 Swiss.