World Cup 2022 Qualifiers

Captain Ron

3 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

And that's the final whistle in Belfast, Italy finish in second place and will need to come out of the playoff.

It's hard to imagine a World Cup without Italy ...

fifa.jpg

Winning the Euro in between getting bounced from WCQ would be one of the more bizarre things ever in international football. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Captain Ron said:

Honestly I would call their run the most bizarre, but Italy missing World Cups is always odd.

FIFA’s decision to go to 48 teams isn’t just to allow in more minnows. Like the NCAA Hoops Tournament without half of the Top 25 teams led to expanding the field, the world wants Italy (2018), England (1994), The Netherlands (2018??), and FIFA wants México (1990) & the USA (2018) to be dumping big bucks into ticket purchases and everything else.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

FIFA’s decision to go to 48 teams isn’t just to allow in more minnows. Like the NCAA Hoops Tournament without half of the Top 25 teams led to expanding the field, the world wants Italy (2018), England (1994), The Netherlands (2018??), and FIFA wants México (1990) & the USA (2018) to be dumping big bucks into ticket purchases and everything else.

Haven't looked at the expansion plan in awhile. Does CONCACAF go from 3 to 4 qualifiers?

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

Haven't looked at the expansion plan in awhile. Does CONCACAF go from 3 to 4 qualifiers?

We won’t know until 2030 due to USA/MEX/CAN hosting. 

My guess is 5 auto qualifiers with 6th place in a playoff with ~7th from CONMEBOL or something like that.

46 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Mexico didn’t miss 1990 for failure to qualify. Cachirules  

The lack of qualifiers for the next Cup is going to suck--at least from a fan's perspective.

At first glance, it seems like a great opportunity for the USSF to take advantage of the open window and schedule friendlies with big-name teams outside of CONCACAF, but I'm sure those sides will be busy with their own qualifiers.

The 2018 heartbreak notwithstanding, I celebrate the entire qualification process. The ups, the downs, handwringing over rosters, cursing managers, cheering the rise of some new star, chatting about it here with y'all, etc.

What did we do prior to the '94 Cup? Started watching international soccer during the '90 WC, but wasn't yet a big enough fan (addict?) to follow interstitial matches.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

The lack of qualifiers for the next Cup is going to suck--at least from a fan's perspective.

Disagree, qualifiers suck currently. Players traveling all over god's green earth and playing in way too many in Goliath vs David blood lettings.

Reward performance and reduce qualifiers.

You made the last 8 of the Euro's we just played 3 months ago? Awesome, you all qualify for the next world cup. 

You just played in the semi-finals of this summer's CONMEBAL/CONCACAF gold cup? Awesome, auto qualify.

• Hook 'Em 1

Eh. Lots of David v. Goliath scenarios for Europe with the likes of San Marino, Liechtenstein, etc., but my comments related to CONCACAF, where the Big Fish already get a pass to the penultimate hexagonal (previous qualifying cycles) or the ultimate octagonal (the current concentrated cycle). In those games, even against teams from countries with miniscule GNPs (e.g., El Salvador, Honduras, some of the Caribbean islands, etc.), the matches tend to be competitive because the crowds can be hostile and the players are well motivated.

Auto qualifying just seems like a way for the rich to get richer. Yes, it's a shame Portugal or the Azzurri might not go to Qatar, but it's kind of awesome to see a lesser power like Serbia punch its ticket.

58 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

At first glance, it seems like a great opportunity for the USSF to take advantage of the open window and schedule friendlies with big-name teams outside of CONCACAF, but I'm sure those sides will be busy with their own qualifiers.

The 2018 heartbreak notwithstanding, I celebrate the entire qualification process. The ups, the downs, handwringing over rosters, cursing managers, cheering the rise of some new star, chatting about it here with y'all, etc.

What did we do prior to the '94 Cup? Started watching international soccer during the '90 WC, but wasn't yet a big enough fan (addict?) to follow interstitial matches.

I too followed the USA in Italy back in 1990. I also didn't follow much in 1991 or 1992, but I did go to at least one Gold Cup match at the Cotton Bowl in the summer of 1993. (Got in free with my WFAA Channel 8 summer internship ID... that helped me get lots of free parking at sporting events in the Metroplex over the next 2+ years.  😁

My view of 2023->2026:

1) The USA, Canada, & Mexico will treat the one or two Gold Cups like they are the old Confederations Cup.

2) If there is only a Gold Cup in 2023 or 2024, there will be a Confederations Cup type tournament to make sure that holding a tournament across all of North America isn't a complete surprise in 2026.

3) Right now, some European groups have 6 teams and some have 5.  Depending on how it breaks down in 2024/25, the Euro Americans will play Euro teams that have a bye.

4) The USMNT will play any team in 2024 looking for a friendly before the 2024 EUROs.

In general, I think that a hell of a lot of the USMNT friendlies will take place in Europe.

I also think that the US, MEX, & CAN will play each other Home & Away to stay sharp, pull in $$$$, and to build excitement in parts of the country that will not be hosting World Cup matches.

• Like 2

So yeah, minnows and all that, but pulling for the Tubarões Azuis (Blue Sharks) of little Cabo Verde as they finish group play at Nigeria tomorrow. Tough task to beat the continental power at their house - and CV needs to win to advance - but they only lost the home tie on a late own goal.

(Became good friends with a Nigerian woman when I was in CV a couple of years ago... don't think I'll mention my rooting interest to her.) 😆

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Napoleon said:

Yeah, count me in on the those that thinks 48 teams takes some drama out from the big fish potentially missing out. Honestly, the process won't change much. Confederations will still make it tough to get in because they will want to make $$$ of the qualifiers.

4 hours ago, ztejas said:

4 hours ago, Napoleon said:

We won’t know until 2030 due to USA/MEX/CAN hosting. 

My guess is 5 auto qualifiers with 6th place in a playoff with ~7th from CONMEBOL or something like that.

The plans for 2026 (the first 48 team cup) are already up, at least per the WIKI:

image.thumb.png.c79d1bfc5b0436ec335bf0550b3b2424.png

2 hours ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Building on that @Napoleon, any chance the US gets invited--and sets its best squad--to the next Copa America?

EDIT: Asking cuz I know the USSF really pissed off CONMEBOL by sending a shit side back in '07 or whatever.

I mean we finished 4th in the 2016 Copa America, and they like money. And this was with us starting Wando in some of the matches. 

Also would like to point out that Mexico lost 7-0 in the Quarters vs Chile.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, shnsajax said:

I mean we finished 4th in the 2016 Copa America, and they like money. And this was with us starting Wando in some of the matches. 

Also would like to point out that Mexico lost 7-0 in the Quarters vs Chile.

Yes, but that was a "special edition" Copa, the Centenario. Hopefully, they'll have us back soon. Would love to play more competitive matches against sides from other federations.

And we all enjoyed every minute of that Mexico debacle. 

Many of the most important games in USMNT history (both positive and negative) and almost all of the most important games in USMNT history played in the US (other than the USA 1994 games) have been WCQ games.  The expansion of the World Cup basically renders all international soccer games played by the US and Mexico irrelevant other than World Cup games and eliminates any meaningful international soccer games played in the US.  Gold Cup finals played in NFL stadiums are now the highlight of the USMNT home schedule.

Maybe the US will get an invite to play in a Copa America from time to time.  That does nothing to provide important games in the US.  Austin has now hosted both its first and last meaningful USMNT game.  Hope everyone enjoyed it.  Cash grabs only from here on out.   

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

37 minutes ago, Ted Lange said:

Didn’t UEFA used to do home and away for playoffs?   Now it is 3 4 team single elimination tournaments, should be great fun for neutrals. Not so much for teams trying to qualify through that 

Yeah, but they also gave 1 more spot to 2nd place teams. Before it was 9 groups with 4 spots up for grabs to the 2nd place teams. This go around it's 10 groups and 3 spots for 2ns place teams.

9 hours ago, shnsajax said:

Everyone seems to forget about the 4th place finish in 95.  We beat Argentina (with Batigol, Balbo, Simeone) 3-0 and Mexico on penalties.  
I used the money I got refereeing to purchase the semifinal against Brazil pay-per-view.  I think it was like $75 for that damn game.  My dad ended up not taking my money or giving it back.  He just used it as a teaching moment to make sure I knew it wasn’t free.

I personally want fewer stupid international tournaments/League of Nations bullshit and fewer preseason/Cups/UCL/Europa league qualifiers to limit player games.  I know that will never happen though due to the money the games generate.  For most of the countries, just qualifying for the WC was like league promotion x a million.

Africa is about to kick off a slate of games to determine group winners

11 AM EST
Group A: Algeria (13/+21) v Burkina Faso (11/+8)
Group C : Nigeria (12/+6) v Cape Verde (10/+2)

2 PM EST
Group B: Tunisia (10/+7) v Zambia (7/+1) and Mauritania v Equatorial Guinea (10/+1). This has the potential to be very interesting.
Group D : Cameroon(12/+8) vs Ivory Coast (13/+8)

Edited by Captain Ron

Asia is wrapping up games today. In Group A Iran and South Korea is very close to wrapping up their spots in Qatar. Iran is 3 points away from clinching. S. Korea is 5. They both can get it done in the next window.

Group B is tightening up. Japan scored a late winner to swipe 2nd place from Australia. Saudi Arabia isn't quite running away with the group yet.

12 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

Don't look now but Turkey is now up 2-1 and in 2nd place. If Norway scores, that group completely flips -

1 Norway
2 Turkey
3 The Netherlands

The scorelines now currently eliminate Norway with the Netherlands winning the group.

This game is driving me nuts, Holland is controlling possession but playing like a prevent offense. 

Nevermind!!!! Hup Holland