World Cup 2022 Qualifiers

Captain Ron

Devastated for Italy 🤪

On another subject: Loads of tickets available first come first served in World Cup portal.  Not all cat 1 either.  Buy the tickets then you can access and book accommodation.  Not as expensive as I feared, no hotels available but apartments and villas.  It’s clear that they only have a few architects in the country, all the buildings look the same.

So if I have this right, in the most important international tourneys for euro countries, Italy went:

2018: Failure to qualify for World Cup.

2020(ish): Win the Euro Championship.

2022: Failure to qualify for World Cup. 

Che cazzo di bizarro. 

• Hook 'Em 1

South America today:
Uruguay 1-0 Peru
Columbia 3-0 Bolivia
Brazil 4-0 Chile
Paraguay 3-1 Ecuador 
Argentina-Venezuela still to play

The key result was Peru losing to Uruguay, that got Ecuador in and Uruguay got in too.

Last slot (the intercontinental playoff slot), between
5. Peru 21 pts
6. Columbia 20 pts
7. Chile 19 pts

The games that matter:
Peru v Paraguay
Venezuela v Colombia
Chile v Uruguay

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

The more I read from this guys account, the more I think he is a moron. 

There is nothing wrong with Italian soccer. They just got really unlucky to not make it this cycle. 

I mean it seems to me like he’s just making a joke about Italy not qualifying, referencing the fact that people seem to love writing pieces like that about US soccer. 

The most brutal of all qualifiers, Africa, begins its conclusion today.

Home and away playoff for their 5 spots:

11 AM (Eastern)
Congo v Morocco

1 PM
Cameroon v Algeria
Mali v Tunisia

3:30 PM
Egypt v Senegal (AFCON Final rematch)
Ghana v Nigeria

The return legs are on the 29th

When you look at those matchups, you realize a lot of really good players are going to miss the World Cup.

So somebody just break it down for me.  What do we need against Costa and Panama?  And don't say 2 wins with a 9-goal differential.  What's realistic and what else needs to happen with the rest of that upper-half of the table?  

Also, I do not care for the nation of Qatar. 

11 minutes ago, Lobo said:

So somebody just break it down for me.  What do we need against Costa and Panama?  And don't say 2 wins with a 9-goal differential.  What's realistic and what else needs to happen with the rest of that upper-half of the table?  

Also, I do not care for the nation of Qatar. 

Two ties should do it because of goal differential. 

I will cross post this to the USMNT group also, but ...

If we draw either of our games, we are guaranteed at worst 4th place. In either case we're 23 points
* Draw Costa Rica their max is 23 and they would need to makeup the GD
* Draw Panama their max is 22 and can't jump us.

If we win either of our games, we are in the World Cup. We hit 25
* Beat Panama, they can't touch us. Costa Rica's max is 25 and they can't make up the GD
* Beat Costa Rica, they can't touch us, Panama's max is 24 and they can't touch us 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Lobo said:

If we win at home vs Panama on Sunday, we get at least the 4th place playoff.

Then, if CR does not win on Sunday, that Panama win would get us in (3rd place or better). Even if CR does win on Sunday, we would be able to go to CR and lose and still make it, as long as the loss is not too bad, since we should be ahead on goal differential. Exactly how bad we could lose at CR and still qualify will not be known until the results of Sunday's games are in. E.g. if we beat Panama 1-0, and CR beats El Salvador 1-0, we would have a 7 goal lead on CR, so we could lose 0-3 at CR and still be in.

4 minutes ago, Horndog said:

Correction. Two ties gets us to 24. CR and Panama max out at 23 or 22.

CR maxes out at 25. They can still beat USA, even if we win vs Panama, on enough goal differential. Panama maxes out at 24.

Edited by pantone159
Panama

Costa Rica is not making up the GD on us, so they have to jump us in points.

We have a GD of 9 (16 and 7), they have a GD of 2 (9 and 7), in any realistic scenario they tie us in the standings, they aren't making up GD:

US-Panama/El Salvador-Costa Rica end up w/ same results (2 wins, 2 ties or 2 losses) AND CR beats us, they would need to beat us by ~4 to jump us in GD.

Even the unlikely we lose to Panama, they beat El Salvador and then we beat them - they aren't going to be able to close that GD gap.

When you look at that, you realize that our target now is to basically do the same as or better than Costa Rica on Sunday. If we do that we are golden.

Edited by Captain Ron

Di María’s goal to make it 2-0 for Argentina was impecable. [chef’s kiss]

My good it was something. 

His assist for the third goal was nice, but that second goal of the match… go to 1:18 into the video.

https://www.fubo.tv/stream/live/conmebol-qualifiers/en/?clip=Argentina_vs_Venezuela_Game_Highlights_5090636.mp4&ftv_campaign=onebox

Edited by Napoleon
  • Like 1

Does anyone recall the poster several years ago that would go apoplectic in defense of Italian soccer?  It's been awhile, and I cannot even recall which board - maybe early Hornfans.  I believe his username was IcyHotStaunta, but I could be wrong.  Either way, ha-ha!

On 3/26/2022 at 1:19 PM, Knoxtnhorn said:

Does anyone recall the poster several years ago that would go apoplectic in defense of Italian soccer?  It's been awhile, and I cannot even recall which board - maybe early Hornfans.  I believe his username was IcyHotStaunta, but I could be wrong.  Either way, ha-ha!

Oh man, blast from the past. First known as HoustoNole and then IcyHotStunta. And yes, he loved him some Azzurri.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

On 3/26/2022 at 1:19 PM, Knoxtnhorn said:

JNapoli?

• Haha 4

I am not sure this is "all of a sudden". This has been years in the making overall. That said, because there aren't a lot of chances to see these teams, and we don't watch Canada so closely, we don't really see it happening as a whole.

Going into the last cycle, Canada was already on the upswing. They just missed out on the Hex for the 2018 World Cup. And they made it out of the Gold Cup group stage for the first time in a long while. 

For this cycle made their Women's national team coach the Men's coach. And it has just been an upward trend since then. 

Since then, they have made the KO stage of the Gold Cup in both 2019 and 2021, making the Semis in 2021. And now qualification for this year.

I think the biggest key is that they have a clear and cohesive plan. For all we bitch about Berhalter not having a great team plan, Canada has a clear one. And while they aren't the best team in CONCACAF, that game plan makes them dangerous.

Edited by Captain Ron

Is there a (free) streaming site where you can watch the group pairings on Friday?  I see it's on Telemundo, but assuming I'm "at work"...what's a good site?  

Lots of spots up for grabs today: All times Eastern:

Asia is up first. They have 3 games of consequence in the last playoff spot for the intercontinental playoff:

Iran-Lebanon (currently 1-0 Iran)
Syria-Iraq 9:45 AM
UAE-S. Korea 9:45 AM

Lebanon makes it with a win and losses by UEA and Iraq (and making up massive GD on UAE)
Iraq is in with a win and UAE not winning
UAE gets in with everything else

Africa is next:
Nigeria-Ghana 1:00 PM (0-0)
Senegal-Egypt 1:00 PM (0-1)
Algeria-Cameroon 3:30 PM (1-0)
Morocco-Congo 3:30 PM (1-1)
Tunisia-Mali 3:30 PM (1-0)

Europe slots in the middle of that:
Poland-Sweden 2:45 PM
Portugal-North Macedonia 2:45 PM

South America has a 3 horse race for the intercontinental spot
Chile-Uruguay
Peru-Paraguay
Venezuela-Colombia

Chile gets in with a win, a Colombia loss and a Peru loss or tie
Colombia gets in with a win and Peru not winning or a draw and Peru losing
Peru with everything else

• Hook 'Em 2

46 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

Asia is up first. They have 3 games of consequence in the last playoff spot for the intercontinental playoff:

Lebanon makes it with a win and losses by UEA and Iraq (and making up massive GD on UAE)

Africa is next:

Chile-Uruguay
Peru-Paraguay
Venezuela-Colombia

God bless you Captain. Thanks for the info on who's in and out stipulations. 

56 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

Africa is next:

Chile-Uruguay
Peru-Paraguay
Venezuela-Colombia

Can you explain CONMEBOL further? Is there only the intercontinental spot up for grabs b/w the 3 sides? No more auto qualifiers?

2 minutes ago, Bottlecap said:

Can you explain CONMEBOL further? Is there only the intercontinental spot up for grabs b/w the 3 sides? No more auto qualifiers?

The top four are all locked in and clinched.

The #5 spot is a three-way race, as explained by Captain Ron. Peru is in the driver's seat, a point ahead of Colombia. Peru is home Paraguay, Colombia is away to Venezuela. Chile needs the most help and plays on the road at Uruguay, though Uruguay is playing for nothing having already qualified.

Whoever takes fifth in CONMEBOL will play the fifth place finisher from Asia in a one-off match on June 13/14, played in Qatar. Winner of that match qualifies for the WC2022.

• Hook 'Em 2

19 minutes ago, Bottlecap said:

8 minutes ago, 406W30th said:

The top four are all locked in and clinched.

The #5 spot is a three-way race, as explained by Captain Ron. Peru is in the driver's seat, a point ahead of Colombia. Peru is home Paraguay, Colombia is away to Venezuela. Chile needs the most help and plays on the road at Uruguay, though Uruguay is playing for nothing having already qualified.

Whoever takes fifth in CONMEBOL will play the fifth place finisher from Asia in a one-off match on June 13/14, played in Qatar. Winner of that match qualifies for the WC2022.

What @406W30th said.

Just quck note about the Asia-South America playoff. Asia has a weird setup where the final 10 teams are in 2 groups of 5. Top 2 teams in each group - World Cup. 3rd place in each group makes a 1 off playoff to play the South American #5.

Australia has one of the 3rd place spots (Group B)

Group A WAS a 3 team race until Lebanon lost 2-0 to Iran today. Now it is down to Iraq and UAE

Now it's simple:
Iraq (8 pts) is in with a win and UAE not winning
UAE (9 pts) gets in with everything else
(the GD between them is 5 in favor of UAE, so Iraq must jump them)

Syria 1-1 Iraq
UAE 0-0 S. Korea
Both at the half

• Hook 'Em 1

UAE pulled a stunner and beat S. Korea 1-0, it made the Iraq result inconsequential (they only drew 1-1 with Syria), so now it's Australia-UAE for a matchup against S. America #5.

BTW - don't discount this team from making it. In 2006 Australia beat Uruguay in PKs to make the field (it was their last year in Oceana), so anything is possible.