World Cup 2022 Qualifiers

Captain Ron

On 3/25/2022 at 7:58 AM, Captain Ron said:

The more I read from this guys account, the more I think he is a moron. 

There is nothing wrong with Italian soccer. They just got really unlucky to not make it this cycle. 

On 3/25/2022 at 9:52 AM, Captain Ron said:

Then the dude is a first class troll because that appears to be his whole act.

Last day of qualifying until the June playoffs. Here is whats up for grabs today:

Clearly CONCACAF wraps up today

2 of US, Mexico and Costa Rica make the World Cup, the remaining one gets the OFC champion, which ....

Is played today at 1 PM Eastern
Solomon Islands v New Zealand

That's 3 spots, the other 2 (to answer moron AFC fan):

UEFA Leg A winner Wales vs (Scotland vs Ukraine)

Asia 5th place (Australia v UAE) vs S. America 5 - Peru

• Hook 'Em 3

46 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

BTW - Australia is in for a rough one on that Asia 5 match as I think it's in Doha, which means its going to be a home game for UAE.

Australia would've already qualified if Tim Cahill hadn't retired. AS far as impact players for the Aussies, he was all they had. I remember when he was captain they would qualify pretty easily(usually winning Asia or finishing 2nd). 

22 minutes ago, Longboard Horn said:

I think it's horse shit that OFC's champion doesn't get an automatic qualifier spot and instead has to play a "playoff" or "play-in" game against the CONCACAF 4th place. #notfair 

I don't have a big problem with it. New Zealand, easily OFC's best team, is currently ranked 111 in the FIFA rankings.

They're getting a guaranteed spot for 2026 when the format expands to 96 teams because FIFA gonna FIFA. So, basically, NZ gets an auto bid from here on out.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Longboard Horn said:

Loved that Golden Generation of Sanchez, Vidal, Vargas, Isla, Medel, Beausejour, etc. They were a joy to watch and played such sound, tactical football that never seemed overly negative or boring.

Five years ago, they were giving Germany all it could handle in the Confed Cup final. The worm turns quickly, my friends.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Streaming on Peacock.  I'm gonna watch it my laptop at a conference at the Telemundo website.  It runs nice and clean through wi-fi.  It's in Spanish, but then again so is most football.  Plus, let's be honest...even if I wasn't bilingual...all you're really watching for is the names of the countries under the group letters.  Plenty of time for commentary this Spring/Summer.  And like the U.S. networks, Telemundo puts the names of countries in English, not in Spanish.  So it'll read "Germany" not "Alemania" or "England" not "Inglaterra."  Even if they do decide to get "muy autentico", the flags should be a big fucking giveaway.  

On 3/30/2022 at 9:15 AM, Longboard Horn said:

I think it's horse shit that OFC's champion doesn't get an automatic qualifier spot and instead has to play a "playoff" or "play-in" game against the CONCACAF 4th place. #notfair 

Really? I always thought they should be forced to be part of the AFC.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
30 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Yeah buddy!  Benefits of being a teacher in the last week of school.  I'll be one of the "rares" rooting against Ukraine.

I'll be rooting for Scotland, though circumstances have put me on the road today, so i'll have to listen to it in the car. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

While they are not perfect, the FIFA world rankings are a good enough metric for team quality. These are all decent teams, but Scotland is the weakest of the 3. Wales has some dangerous players that I would not want to face. 

Scotland also gives England fits. It's a no-brainer as to who we'd want. 

But good for Ukraine. 

wales definitely looks more vulnerable. I think I'd like to play them over Ukraine, due to the emotional factor and I hate playing scrappy teams, much much less GIANT sized scrappy players from former communist blocs. Aaron Long vs. Bale makes me pucker tho.

• Hook 'Em 1

Also, I think our prep for England would definitely be more in line with a matchup with Wales. So, less GERGG mind fucking our lineup. I also don't like how Ukraine has no reservations hitting one from 20-25 yards out. Thats not exactly the strength of our keepers.

6 minutes ago, Bottlecap said:

Also, I think our prep for England would definitely be more in line with a matchup with Wales. So, less GERGG mind fucking our lineup. I also don't like how Ukraine has no reservations hitting one from 20-25 yards out. Thats not exactly the strength of our keepers.

Plus, there'd be some mega-shithousery from FIFA to advance Ukraine out of the group. Not so much against England, but versus the US or Iran? Book it.