World Cup 2022 Qualifiers

Captain Ron

21 minutes ago, shnsajax said:

Still can't fix Timo.

His inability to finish is mesmerizing. I feel bad for the guy. Booted a sitter above the net and barely rolled the ball in on the one he scored in that last qualifying game. 

I'd like to see him find somewhere he can play to his strengths. This Chelsea team just doesn't make any sense for him.

As a whole this was a pretty crazy qualifier round.

You had the Brazil-Argentina incident.

There was a coup in Guinea that cancelled the Guinea-Morocco match. Ignoring the match, hope everyone there is ok and that the players are all safe (as well as all the people too).

Wild world we live in.

Edited by Captain Ron

7 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

LOL.

It's like he forgot where he was and just kept putting his feet on the table, while picking his nose and calling everyone's mom a whore.

There was enough racist, bigoted shit in his comment history that I didn't feel bad. Also a temp ban. Amazed it didn't happen sooner.

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/4/2021 at 10:22 PM, Captain Ron said:

Were back starting Wed, sort of. There are 2 games in Africa Wednesday. Thursday starts 8 days of days of nothing but qualifiers.

THE GAMES DOWN IN AFRICA (lyrics)

I hear the drums echoing tonight
But she hears only whispers of some quiet conversation
She's coming in, 12:30 flight
The moonlit wings reflect the stars that guide me towards salvation
I stopped an old man along the way
Hoping to find some old forgotten words or ancient melodies
He turned to me as if to say
"Hurry boy, it's waiting there for you"

It's gonna take a lot to drag me away from you
There's nothing that a hundred men or more could ever do
I bless the
games down in Africa
Gonna take some time to do the things we never had (ooh, ooh)

The wild dogs cry out in the night
As they grow restless, longing for some solitary company
I know that I must do what's right
As sure as Kilimanjaro rises like Olympus above the Serengeti
I seek to cure what's deep inside, frightened of this thing that I've become

I bless the
games down in Africa

Hurry boy, she's waiting there for you

I bless the
games down in Africa
I bless the
games down in Africa
(I bless the
games)
I bless the
games down in Africa 
I bless the
games down in Africa
I bless the
games down in Africa 
(Gonna take the time)

40 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

And take note USMNT. You can score in the devil's den known as Azteca.

Of course we can score. We're 2-0 against them in finals this year. We have the most talented side in this region by far.

This ain't 2006 - G. (You know I love you)

US and Mexico have had extremely similar results so far.

Mexico beat Jamaica at home 2-1.  US beat Jamaica at home 2-0.

Mexico tied Canada at home 1-1.  US tied Canada at home 1-1.

Mexico beat Costa Rica on road 2-1.  US beat Honduras on road 4-1. Costa Rica and Honduras both have 3 points through 4 games.

Mexico tied Panama on road 1-1.  US tied El Salvador on road 0-0.  Panama and El Salvador both have 5 points through 4 games.

I'd like to have an impassioned, sexually-frustrated relationship with Jenny Chiu that ends up in us holding enough petty grievances against each other to where we quit speaking. 

Cause you know you get like 5 or 6 lays in those types of relationships that you'll never forget. Plus she seems the type.

• Drool 1

EJHURMICXPNLLKM.20150813153042.jpg?width

Personal:  Full name is Jenny Ana Chiu • daughter of C.Y. Chiu and Lorena Chiu • was born in September 1995 in El Paso, Texas • has two brothers, Andy, 22, and Steven, 13 • stands 5-5 tall • media and journalism major.

National Teams:  Played for Team Mexico in the Under 20 World Cup in Canada in August 2014 • former member of Mexican U17 National Team • has dual citizenship (American and Mexican) so she has also been invited to U.S. U17 WNT camps, been a member of the U.S. U15 WNT player pool and played as member of U.S. U14 National Team • captain of Mexican team that qualified for FIFA U17 World Cup in Azerbaijan in 2012 after earning one of the World Cup berths from the CONCACAF Tournament in Guatemala.

Asia is a little topsy turvey right now. Their two groups are lead by … Iran (A) and Saudi Arabia (B). South Korea (A) is in second place of their group with strange draws against Iran and Iraq. 

Australia trails in group B, they fell to Japan. On that note Japan currently sits 4th in B. They have 2 bad losses against the Saudis and Oman (at home). Beating Australia helps, and they have time, but they do find themselves looking up in the standings. 

8 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

Asia is a little topsy turvey right now. Their two groups are lead by … Iran (A) and Saudi Arabia (B). South Korea (A) is in second place of their group with strange draws against Iran and Iraq. 

Australia trails in group B, they fell to Japan. On that note Japan currently sits 4th in B. They have 2 bad losses against the Saudis and Oman (at home). Beating Australia helps, and they have time, but they do find themselves looking up in the standings. 

I'm pulling for Iran, because...

FUCK THE HATERS!

And because I have a couple of amigas who were born there before emigrating* to Germany & the USA (respectively).

*I think that I actually used "emigrating" correctly. Thought that I had totally misspelled it.

• Emigrate means to leave one location, such as one’s native country or region, to live in another.
  • Immigrate means to move into a non-native country or region to live.
  • Associate the I of immigrate with “in” to remember that the word means moving into a new country.

https://www.grammarly.com/blog/emigrate-immigrate/

Edited by Napoleon
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Braff Zacklin said:

@Napoleon, have you observed that former Iranians prefer to introduce themselves as Persians?

In LA I did. “The Persian Community”, old Beverly Hills homes being replaced with “Persian Palaces”, a girl at a party in late ‘90s/early ‘00s saying “I’m ‘Persian’…” and stuff like that. 

These girls… one is a flight attendant for Lufthansa who has been with this totally German guy who is on talk shows & round tables in Germany all the time, so she is confident in saying whatever she wants. Like posting a photo of her mom in her teens in the late ‘60s/early ‘70s and labeling it “Mom in Tehran”…

The other one, not as hot, but not bad… very Persian looking, will refer to the people as Persian because her family settled in the San Fernando Valley and there are loads there as well, and the people and their idiosyncrasies have been in modern day Iran for centuries longer than the country has been called “Iran”. They’re not ashamed, just choose to be more specific. (Like Ashkenazi & Sephardic can be more specific at times than “Israeli”… both girls are Jewish, by the way.)

22 hours ago, Napoleon said:

I'm pulling for Iran, because...

FUCK THE HATERS!

And because I have a couple of amigas who were born there before emigrating* to Germany & the USA (respectively).

*I think that I actually used "emigrating" correctly. Thought that I had totally misspelled it.

• Emigrate means to leave one location, such as one’s native country or region, to live in another.
  • Immigrate means to move into a non-native country or region to live.
  • Associate the I of immigrate with “in” to remember that the word means moving into a new country.

https://www.grammarly.com/blog/emigrate-immigrate/

I will always root against Iran's soccer team after their match against the US in 1998 World Cup in pool play. Even though I was a teenager and it was their first victory in a World Cup, their celebrating with their national flag always rubbed me the wrong way.

Edited by UDontKnow