Portland, OR...

Kyrie Eleison

Drive along the Columbia River Gorge, stop to see the multiple Waterfalls, lunch in Hood River. After lunch drive up to Mount Hood and check out the Timberline Lodge area for hiking followed by cocktails. 

In town, check out one of the food cart pods like Cartlandia, Cartopia, and there's even one downtown. Any of the McMenamin's are fun too - one is an old elementary school, another is a pitch and putt golf course.

Downtown definitely check out Washington Park and the Rose test garden. Usually some live music or shows going on in the summer time. 

As far as the titter goes, hit up Acropolis in Milwaukie for the $12 t-bone and stay for the dances. 

If the weather is cooperative you can head west to Cannon Beach and Ecola State Park. 

We enjoyed Departure Restaurant+Lounge, rooftop, good views of downtown, the river, and the mountains

https://www.departureportland.com/

definitely hit up Salt and Straw for ice cream - https://saltandstraw.com/pages/menu

Also I enjoyed the food at https://www.pfriembeer.com/tasting-room/menu in Hood River on the Columbia, nice little park to walk around with gorgeous views.  And since I'm a hard case the only cocktails I liked were at https://www.stokedroasters.com/ next door.

For info on scheduled riots, I can PM you my sister's # as she works for the prosecution in the Federal Courthouse.  She can probably get you prime viewing from the parking garage.

Pok Pok closed forever.
I heard, that sucks.

Sister had a stroke and is partially paralyzed, but if that's your groove. . .lol.

Also @Kyrie Eleison don't forget to visit the waterfalls, Multnomah and several others. And the Vista House, its closed but you can walk around outside which is the whole point anyway.

15 hours ago, Incredulity said:

Was in Portland a month ago.  It looked like 1980’s Beirut along the freeways and downtown.  They were starting another restaurant lockdown, but then it got rescinded mid-week.

I don't go into Portland proper anymore.

Also @Kyrie Eleison

Edited by workswithseed

3 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

You came down and didn't ask to get a beer with me? Hurt.

Love the no camping, trespassing, or dumping sign.

I will look you up next time.  I am there every so often for work.  As you know used to live there.  The change is staggering.

• Hook 'Em 1

I highly recommend Pine State Biscuits for breakfast. Blue Star donuts is also pretty good (don't go to Voodoo)

Salt & Straw has the best ice cream I've ever had.

Plenty of good breweries. I haven't been to Breakside, but some folks from there opened up Meanwhile in Austin and all their beers slam so I'd bet it's solid as well

Pok Pok was awesome. It's too bad they shutdown

Last time I traveled Amtrak cascades line from Seattle, very neat route. Until you get to Portland and walk out of union Station into a 3rd world refugee camp.

Spent most of the time on the Columbia or at the hundreds of wineries around town. Pretty tasting rooms. My only gripe was lack of diet coke for designated drivers/alcoholics.

Would definitely second Pine State Biscuits.

OX Argentinian Restaurant - won a James Beard Award a few years back. They also used to have a food truck selling grilled meats out front on weekends.

Kells Irish Pub - pours a nice Guinness but they’ve also got a nice downstairs cigar lounge with solid spread of stogies.

There are a million breweries so just walk 10 ft. or look up a curated list. But a solid drinking alternative is the selection at Multnomah Whiskey Library.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Hook 'Em 1

i hear there are some federal owned buildings with some spicy nightlife if you get lucky. 

my only contribution to a portland thread is a short story of getting overwhelmed on mushrooms while at the Rose Theater for an edm show and we ended up just walking around for hours middle of the week with the city kinda to ourselves as a group, with the occasional "hey what up" from homeless and one guy who called us out for "These guys on that level!" as we silently walked by with big ass grins. And the keypad you put your pin # into at the deli while getting beer, it's definitely neon and aztec themed.

and yeah like said above. Wanna get high? More weed shops than coffee shops. Live life, don't hurt nobody. Have a good one.

hard pass on the high and drunk stuff, gents…history hasn’t been kind to myself and loved ones on that front. Distillery Row is on list for my wife,[mention=5679]MaidofGin[/mention]
There's like 300 wineries between Portland and the coast on some of the prettiest land in the world. Gorgeous views. The things I cherish now vs. 10 yrs ago. . .
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 4 weeks later...

I go to Portland often for work; downtown does indeed suck. Salt & Screw is overrated, but the area around Mt. Hood is a fun get away if you like nature (~1 hour out). The Under Armor office is cool; never been to the Nike campus, but if you are in anything bigger than a Ford Ranger, driving around downtown is going to suck. I was in a basic F-150 and it was tight and the infrastructure looked like the worst parts of Baltimore (speaking of UA).

2 hours ago, Helobious said:

In downtown Portland right now. Some really shitty pockets, some nice areas. Same as always really. @Incredulity & @workswithseed  seem like pussies. 

To think, most of the homeless was ousted from all the people that were in downtown by the courthouse. Most of them went to the outer parts. I was talking about that to a coworker, and he said he takes Marine Drive and now there's much more than they used to be.

16 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

To think, most of the homeless was ousted from all the people that were in downtown by the courthouse. Most of them went to the outer parts. I was talking about that to a coworker, and he said he takes Marine Drive and now there's much more than they used to be.

The MAX has been free all weekend so I’ve been on it a bunch. I’m ready for a fight every time I step on but haven’t encountered any problems at all. Much of downtown is eerily quiet/inactive tonight. Better than the alternative I guess. Probably watched too much news, everyone made Portland sound like a total war zone but I haven’t felt that way at all. Seattle is still a way nicer/prettier city for sure.