Abbott Gonna Build a Texas Wall. No Details on Cost or Location

atomheartbevo

Probably mentioned in the Abbott thread, but this is going to either fuck over a lot of Texans, whether it's taking their property or whatever, or it's going to be as successful as Trump's wall.  It's going to cause a lot of fuckery either way.

https://www.texastribune.org/2021/06/10/texas-mexico-border-wall-greg-abbott/

Gov. Greg Abbott announced Thursday that Texas will build a border wall along the state’s boundary with Mexico — but provided no details on where or when.

Abbott declared his plans during a press conference in Del Rio. He said he would discuss the plans next week. The Biden administration issued a proclamation that stopped border wall construction on his first day of office.

Abbott announced the news while discussing a slew of border initiatives, such as a $1 billion allocation for border security in the state budget lawmakers just passed and a plan to establish a Governor’s Task Force on Border and Homeland Security with public safety and state government officials.

Dumbest timeline.  Nearly the dumbest state.

• Rage+1 1

“It will help all of us to work on ways to stem the flow of unlawful immigration and to stem the flow of illegal contraband,” Abbott said, while seated next to officials from the National Guard, Texas Department of Public Safety and Texas Division of Emergency Management.

At the conference, Abbott also announced a plans to increase arrests along the border — and increase space inside local jails.

"They don't want to come to across the state of Texas anymore because it's not what they were expecting," Abbott said before being met with applause from those at the conference. "It's not the red carpet that the federal administration rolled out to them."

Does he realize there is a state between us and Arizona?

He also announced an interstate compact with Arizona Gov. Doug Ducey to resolve the border "crisis," and called on other states to do the same.

And I love the idea that he can magically increase space inside of local jails.

Edited by atomheartbevo

21 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

He’s not.  Just need to rile up the deplorables to win.

No, he will actually have to make an attempt at something, otherwise one of his Republican primary opponents will hammer the shit out of him between now and next spring.

If it were a real thing, I'd guess they would claim eminent domain (can states do that?) over lands a ways back from the actual border.  Fuck who knows, but basically anyone willing to believe this is a thing is a fucking rube that should be fleeced of every cent to their name.

5 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

If it were a real thing, I'd guess they would claim eminent domain (can states do that?) over lands a ways back from the actual border.  Fuck who knows, but basically anyone willing to believe this is a thing is a fucking rube that should be fleeced of every cent to their name.

Plenty of folks down there are for a wall, unless it's their property being confiscated.

I think he has to try something though, because his primary rivals will spend all of their time hammering on it over the next 9 months or so, and will make sure that Trump hears about it if he doesn't.

5 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

The states can claim eminent domain but the state of Texas would never do that to pay for an imaginary wall. It’s just more abbot stupidity to stave off a primary I guess. 

Just now, Bama Chick said:

Wouldn’t it be easier for Abbott to just felate Trump on Pay Per View or something?

This is attempt #13 for Abbott trying to avoid that.

He's really went hard-right over the past few months.  Need to find some polling numbers on him or something, because now that Allen West is mostly out of the picture, something still has him spooked (and it ain't Sid Miller).

I read this right after I saw this ridiculous billboard with Huffines on it with something about finishing the wall. He’s just doing this to neuter any potential threat he sees from Huffines or Miller or whoever else may run. Next he’s gonna campaign on abolishing property taxes like Huffines. Republican math: let’s build a wall that will cost billions of dollars AND cut taxes.

6 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Is that like Mexico and India rolled into one?  I could definitely get into some curry tacos.  Let's make those a thing.  And fuck this wall bullshit. 

It’s where Bob Wheeler had his little ranchette.

15 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Is that like Mexico and India rolled into one?  I could definitely get into some curry tacos.  Let's make those a thing.  And fuck this wall bullshit. 

I know a guy with a little bit of capital that could make it happen. 

I tell ya', wheelchair ramps and stalls, biggest wastes of prime real estate...Ask Greg, he'll tell ya'.  We just bought property behind the border wall...on the good side! 

Can surly buy some small portion of land bordering Mexico?  We can then do a gofundme to build a wall on that pvt property.  I'm assuming if this is pvt property we can build it using up those funds no matter how much money is wasted.  I'm a really good consultant.  But my time is valuable.  That being said...I'm here to help. 

27 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Can surly buy some small portion of land bordering Mexico?  We can then do a gofundme to build a wall on that pvt property.  I'm assuming if this is pvt property we can build it using up those funds no matter how much money is wasted.  I'm a really good consultant.  But my time is valuable.  That being said...I'm here to help. 

Hell yeah! And while we’re at it, I’m sponsoring a bus trip to Oklahoma City for the OSU football game next fall! Just send me your donations to build the wall and the bus rider to longhorn.wheeler.com and you’re set! See ya there!

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, pyrohornIII said:

Biff nailed it earlier.  The only education we need is that white man always does what is best for the world, that's why god made him white.  

Certainly nothing else would explain why this moron has even a single person supporting him.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Can surly buy some small portion of land bordering Mexico?  

Briefly looking at maps and the like, most, if not all,  of where a wall would naturally be, is either federal land, or in private hands.  And it's an international border, which is a federal issue, but that's besides the point, because the state couldn't even acquire the land to begin with.

There was no money allocated in the appropriates bill for either a wall, or the land (either purchasing or eminent domain) on which it would reside.  Abbott can't order land to be seized from private land owners, with a promise of paying them back in a few years.

There was a billion allocated for "border security", but most of that is tied to existing operations, DPS salaries, etc. for the next two years.  He can't reallocate that money on a whim (and lay off a bunch of DPS folks and close down stations as well).

Huffines issued a statement about it:  "I would like to thank ‘all talk, no action’ Greg Abbott for joining my campaign by admitting that as governor he’s had the power for the last seven years to close down the Texas border, and has refused to do so"

We really are in the dumb timeline.

On 6/11/2021 at 8:36 AM, pyrohornIII said:

Biff nailed it earlier.  The only education we need is that white man always does what is best for the world, that's why god made him white.  

Should’ve made Jesus white then. And a Christian instead of a Jew. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Meanwhile, in Rockwall Co, yesterday, the Texas grid was sssstruuuugling.  Went grocery shopping late yesterday afternoon and the power went out twice while I was there.  Fucked up all kind of POS transactions.  Same happened at my house last night.

But, hey, at least we're working on keeping dirty foreigners from using any of our weak-ass grid.