Abbott Gonna Build a Texas Wall. No Details on Cost or Location

atomheartbevo

Are states even allowed to do that?

I would imagine they could, but it’d have to be farther “inland” from the border than the feds could do. I don’t know this for a fact or anything, but it seems like the fed probably has somewhat of a buffer zone they have total control over along every international border for potential defense needs. A state building permanent structures in that area could impair the feds ability to deploy defenses in the case of an invasion

On 6/10/2021 at 10:07 PM, HenryJames said:

I assume the wall will be made out of them.

Actually... there are about 950K Texans on unemployment. The border is ~6.6 million feet long. If you placed a person ever 20 feet along the border, you'd need 330K people. Have them work in 3 8-hour shifts. You'd have 24-hour monitoring of the entire length of the border, almost zero unemployment so you could reallocate those funds to payroll, then take whatever bullshit funds they were going to spend on the wall and make these decent paying jobs with health insurance benefits. Boom. Lots of birds, one stone.

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

Actually... there are about 950K Texans on unemployment. The border is ~6.6 million feet long. If you placed a person ever 20 feet along the border, you'd need 330K people. Have them work in 3 8-hour shifts. You'd have 24-hour monitoring of the entire length of the border, almost zero unemployment so you could reallocate those funds to payroll, then take whatever bullshit funds they were going to spend on the wall and make these decent paying jobs with health insurance benefits. Boom. Lots of birds, one stone.

How are you going to keep them out there when it's a 100 fucking degrees?  

He's come across one tree in his life that grows money, and apparently he thinks there is another one out there.

https://www.texastribune.org/2021/06/14/texas-greg-abbott-border-wall-immigration/

He also said state troopers, who’ve been dispatched to the border for years but who are barred from enforcing federal immigration law, will start arresting migrants on state charges. He also wants to increase local jail capacity along the border.

It’s a federal policy issue, but for Texas conservatives, particularly when Democrats are in power in Washington, the political draw is undeniable.

The state’s Mexican frontier got some attention from the Legislature this year, notably including an increase in state spending on border security, which rose to $1 billion from $800 million. A quick bit of history is in order: When the state first added border security to the budget mix, the stated idea was that it was really a federal duty and that the state would be asking Washington, D.C. for reimbursements. That never happened.

The state budget has included money for border security since 2008, despite the repeated declarations that the state’s taxpayers were covering what is supposed to be a federal responsibility.

It might be expensive for taxpayers, but it has worked out pretty well for the people they elect to statewide office.

Then-Gov. Perry called the Obama administration to task during an influx of unaccompanied children at the border in 2012. Two years later, Perry was hoping the feds would cover the costs of sending state police and Texas National Guard troops to the border for another surge. Most of the state spending over the years has gone unreimbursed. But that fight got Perry some attention in his unsuccessful bid for president in 2016. The winner that year was the guy with the idea for a “big, beautiful wall.”

• Rage+1 1

14 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

How are you going to keep them out there when it's a 100 fucking degrees?  

Swim breaks in the Rio Grande? They aren't going to be working the fields. They can just sit in a lifeguard stand under a big umbrella with a fan. I didn't say it was a glamorous job. 

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

Send in the Austin homeless as roving Wi-Fi hot spots so the unemployed wallers can send in messages when there is a sighting.

• Hook 'Em 1

Could we use that money to buy fans/shade devices/misters/generators/water for all the elderly people that are about to die this summer for Abbott's ERCOT debacle and the border wall deflection?  

14 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Could we use that money to buy fans/shade devices/misters/generators/water for all the elderly people that are about to die this summer for Abbott's ERCOT debacle and the border wall deflection?  

Yeah No GIFs | Tenor

35 minutes ago, Lobo said:

We should brand the shade devices with MAGA and charge more.  Either we make a bunch of money, or they end up in some back corner of a Tuesday Morning.  

• Like 1

https://www.texastribune.org/2021/06/15/texas-border-wall-greg-abbott/

“When I do make the announcement later on this week, I will also be providing a link that you can click on and go to for everybody in the United States — really everybody in the entire world — who wants to help Texas build the border wall, there will be a place on there where they can contribute,” Abbott said on the podcast, a show about Republican politics called “Ruthless.”

Abbott said in the podcast interview that the donations to Texas’ border wall will go to a fund “overseen by the state of Texas in the governor’s office.” He promised “great transparency,” saying “everyone will know every penny in, every penny out, but the sole purpose for those funds will be going to build the border wall.”

A closer parallel to Abbott’s plan may date to 2011, when the Arizona Legislature passed a law establishing a fund, complete with a fundraising website, to construct a fence along the state’s border with Mexico. The fund received almost $270,000 by 2014, and a state border security advisory committee decided to give most of the sum to a county sheriff in 2015. The sheriff instead invested the money in border security technology such as GPS systems and binoculars, according to the Arizona Republic.

Federal lawmakers have estimated that the border wall cost the Trump administration nearly $27 million per mile in some parts of Texas.

This book premise sounds like the most ridiculous thing, but I ended up laughing my ass off through it all. 

https://kimjongillookingatthings.tumblr.com/   (if you've never seen his site or the book, check it out). 

I'd really like to get a site going where it's just photos of Donald Trump looking at things that he doesn't quite understand.  Like walls, for instance.  

4 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Think maybe we could throw some solar panels on this wall to help out the power grid?

Yeah, right after we replace the 20% cut to education that Rick Perry got passed so he could give tax breaks to businesses then run for president as a job creator.

We're just Mississippi with some oil and the Houston Ship Channel.  Dumb as fuck, but wealthy.

I love Texas.  It's a shame what it's becoming.

Edited by TexArcher
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 3

4 hours ago, Continental Op said:

We should start a company that offers MAGA Border Bus Tours.  Those motherfuckers dicks are so hard for going to the border. 

4 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

And then drop them in the middle of the desert and leave them?

Now you're talking.  We can even contract out to some company for the buses and drivers.  We could hire somebody to build a wall somewhere in a remote area south of San Antonio, have the bus drivers kind of loop around remote areas for a few hours, before getting to "the border".  Setup souvenir stands, take their photos in front of the wall for $50 a pop.  Hell, hire some folks to pretend to climb over the wall (just make sure and search everybody for weapons before they get on the buses) or have some people running around on the other side of the wall, and let people shoot rifles (loaded with blanks) at them, with one of them falling every now and then like they've been shot.

If we do this right, we don't have to lift a finger or make an appearance anywhere.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, JimmyJames said:

I bet we could get a bunch illegals to build the Jefe Abbott tree-less wall. For a lot less money to. At least on labor costs. 

Would probably have to get them all fake social security numbers though. 

Don’t worry about the social security numbers, some of them are already using mine.  But I can’t get a new number, because they aren’t stalking me or some shit.

1 hour ago, GreenspointTexas said:

$27 million a mile… lmao

You can build a 6-lane interstate highway for less than that per mile and it's a helluva lot more function than a wall people get to stare at once a year.  

1 minute ago, fattyflattie said:

Don’t understand how these fuckers don’t understand that a sensible immigration plan is the cheapest, most efficient, and most effective strategy.  

I'm sure they do understand that, it's just not what they want.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

I'm sure they do understand that, it's just not what they their base and big donors (homebuilders) want.

fify

Bob Perry's political donations still run deep.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, fattyflattie said:

Don’t understand how these fuckers don’t understand that a sensible immigration plan is the cheapest, most efficient, and most effective strategy.  

1 hour ago, wildcat09 said:

I'm sure they do understand that, it's just not what they want.

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

Bob Perry's political donations still run deep.

The Republicans have had years in power where they could have severely punished companies and industries that had a knack for hiring illegals.  They could have cleaned up a lot of issues by pushing reforms in social security ID theft and IRS issues that would have kept my SS # from being used by multiple people.  

Dry up a lot of those jobs and not nearly as many would be coming here.  The illegals are doing low-end jobs that in decades or centuries past we would have had the fucking Irish or Italians doing.