Southwest or every other airline in the history of the world?

Southwest or Every other airline in the history of the world  

103 members have voted

1. 1. Speaking of polls, I had sex with South_Austin's mom

• Southwest boarding sucks
    • Love Southwest boarding practices

On the fence about this.  There is a reason you are assigned a  boarding number yet lately some asshole thinks they are not required to follow the procedure and gets upset when they are told they have to WAIT THEIR TURN!!!!🤬. Not the airline's fault for having to deal with morons. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I will be stuck in middle seat cause I changed flights and they have no A1 positions available. 
No 1st class. No larger legroom seats except exit. 
If you are a “travel all over states” type of worker then SW does not cut it. Being based in Dallas (and Love is closer than DFW) AA has 95% direct flight. No wasting a full day traveling. No Europe or Asia free tickets. 

I am just pissed I have to spend 4 hrs here in Phoenix waiting on a flight and middle seat. 😩

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

I don't mind Southwest in the sense of you at least get a boarding number and know what place in line you should stand. It's better than the old group boarding they did where it was just a mass of people jammed at the gate. Yeah, you'll get the obliviate that doesn't notice they actually need to stand where their number is and not just stand where they feel like it. I typically only do Southwest if I'm flying alone so it's easier just to grab an aisle seat somewhere. If it's a family flight, we opt for American and dedicated seats. I miss Virgin America. That was such an enjoyable flight experience. I do enjoy Southwest out of Burbank where you can go to the back of the plane as well as the front. 

The mass of people just hovering at the gate is part of my issue with flying American. Yeah, you get a seat but unless you're higher than Group 4, sometimes you're not going to get an overhead space next to your seat. We're Group 5 thanks to our Citi card and that can be iffy at times. They also sometimes call both Groups 5 & 6 after 4 has gone through. A larger problem I have with American is not policing the number of overhead spaces being used by a person and letting passengers from the back half of the plane put stuff in the middle to front of the plane. Put the bag over your space.  

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, mdmost said:

I don't mind Southwest in the sense of you at least get a boarding number and know what place in line you should stand. It's better than the old group boarding they did where it was just a mass of people jammed at the gate. Yeah, you'll get the obliviate that doesn't notice they actually need to stand where their number is and not just stand where they feel like it. I typically only do Southwest if I'm flying alone so it's easier just to grab an aisle seat somewhere. If it's a family flight, we opt for American and dedicated seats. I miss Virgin America. That was such an enjoyable flight experience. I do enjoy Southwest out of Burbank where you can go to the back of the plane as well as the front. 

The mass of people just hovering at the gate is part of my issue with flying American. Yeah, you get a seat but unless you're higher than Group 4, sometimes you're not going to get an overhead space next to your seat. We're Group 5 thanks to our Citi card and that can be iffy at times. They also sometimes call both Groups 5 & 6 after 4 has gone through. A larger problem I have with American is not policing the number of overhead spaces being used by a person and letting passengers from the back half of the plane put stuff in the middle to front of the plane. Put the bag over your space.  

I'm in OC and this middle aged lady is like "why does the sign say A's and B's?  I said they haven't called the B's go sit down.  And yet, she just can't accept that?  Sit down, let the A's board and then they'll get to you 

Idk, even with assigned seatings there are assholes wanting to board early.  Unassigned seating just accentuates it.  The overhead stuff can certainly be annoying, especially those that feel the need to put their damn coat up there.  

Edited by closetohumping

SDG gets it. It’s hotter than f*** on the tarmac in Houston. You want to spend as little time as possible on the ground. 

I think United’s boarding policy is a little better, but they get very cute, very early with the overhead bins.  Especially on week day, early morning business flights. If you have to check your bag, there’s a good chance you’re going to be late to a meeting. 

Air travel by its very nature is terrible. If you’re not flying private or first class, you might as well find the cheapest, fastest flight available. I’ll get flamed, but it’s for this reason that I like Spirit. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, billfromlaketravis said:

SDG gets it. It’s hotter than f*** on the tarmac in Houston. You want to spend as little time as possible on the ground. 

I think United’s boarding policy is a little better, but they get very cute, very early with the overhead bins.  Especially on week day, early morning business flights. 

Air travel by its very nature is terrible. If you’re not flying private or first class, you might as well find the cheapest, fastest flight available. I’ll get flamed, but it’s for this reason that I like Spirit. 

Nothing beats an early morning business flight to get sloshed on.  "yep,  I know, was supposed to land at 11 but dang it, we're delayed.

I voted "love" but really there should have been an IDGAF option.  I neither love nor hate it.  I tolerate it and it's fine for me, because I'm usually a solo traveler and can score an aisle or window pretty easily, depending on my mood.  Plus I get 4 boarding upgrades with my SW card, so I just pick and choose based on my boarding group when I check in if I need an upgrade or not. 

Plus the flights are usually cheap enough to just pay the extra money to get an A boarding group automatically. 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 4

21 hours ago, closetohumping said:

I'm in OC and this middle aged lady is like "why does the sign say A's and B's?  I said they haven't called the B's go sit down.  And yet, she just can't accept that?  Sit down, let the A's board and then they'll get to you 

Idk, even with assigned seatings there are assholes wanting to board early.  Unassigned seating just accentuates it.  The overhead stuff can certainly be annoying, especially those that feel the need to put their damn coat up there.  

Guess this Boarding Nazi was off... 

spacer.png

• Haha 2

I don’t like Southwest mainly for their boarding policies. I would like to know my seat in advance, and if I’m paying extra for a better seat, I want to know specifically which better seat.

Agree with being able to stay at the bar, bookstore, bathroom, etc until the plane is near the end of boarding. Rushing to get in line for a good seat is ridiculous to me.

Beyond that, I’m based out of DFW and it seems AA is much more likely to have direct flights to the places I want to go. I don’t like AA much either, but that’s for different reasons.

1 hour ago, pearlandhorn said:

For work, I book business select and fly so frequently that I can check in at the airport and still be A1 - A3.

For vacations, I'm always A15-A17 as well.

Sucks to be poor.

This. Spend the extra $17, it even comes with a couple of drink stubs. 

CHIEF

2 hours ago, pearlandhorn said:

For work, I book business select and fly so frequently that I can check in at the airport and still be A1 - A3.

Sucks to be poor.

Lol. Fly a real airline and fly first class. This is like bragging about being Wal-Mart’s number one customer.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 6

Sucks to be poor.

It’s always been just an urban legend that the faster you checkin, the better boarding number you get. It’s solely by status and for those with no status, it’s a random assignment. When I hit my record of 89 flights in one year on SWA, I was A1 no matter when I checked in.

24 minutes ago, royiv said:

Lol. Fly a real airline and fly first class. This is like bragging about being Wal-Mart’s number one customer.

Why fly a real airline when I can fly my wife for free everywhere I go?  Air travel is a commodity.  I fly first or business if I travel internationally.  Domestic - SWA.

Edited by pearlandhorn

22 minutes ago, pearlandhorn said:

Why fly a real airline when I can fly my wife for free everywhere I go?  Air travel is a commodity.  I fly first or business if I travel internationally.  Domestic - SWA.

I do about everything possible to not do the travel part of vacation with my wife. 

6 minutes ago, BearSchlong said:

Congratulations on your high maintenance, expensive wife. I used to have one.

I used to be first class guy. Its a waste of money if you're actually buying the ticket, unless you have business or health reasons, or a long flight overseas.

The fact that southwest employees don't hate their employer is nice. And companion status.

I'm a lot more high maintenance than my wife is. I'm a pretty tall guy and sitting in a coach seat for more than about 45 minutes fills me full of rage.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Airline snob fags are so insufferable. 

Southwest fanbois are so insufferable.

Also, why do we allow folks on this board to throw slurs around so casually? Imagine the word beginning with f above is replaced by a word starting with n. Can't imagine that would go over well.

Edited by royiv
Slur soapbox
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 2

56 minutes ago, BearSchlong said:

I used to be first class guy. Its a waste of money if you're actually buying the ticket, unless you have business or health reasons, or a long flight overseas.

The fact that southwest employees don't hate their employer is nice. And companion status.

The later is true.   Plus SWA doesn’t cancel/delay its flights when it’s starts pissing mist outside as much  as United and American.   Especially if you flying out of a smaller airport.  Screw those two putos. 

• Like 1

On 6/11/2021 at 2:25 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

you might as well find the cheapest, fastest flight available. I’ll get flamed, but it’s for this reason that I like Spirit. 

Spirit out of IAH is great. For the same or less than a United flight, I can upgrade to the Big Front Seat and no worry about crushing my 6'5" into a regular sized seat. Also, there's almost never a security line in Terminal A and the Spirit gates are a short walk from the entry. From Uber drop off to the gate is usually like 10 minutes.

Bernard

• Hook 'Em 1

I stopped flying SWA in large because they stopped having  the cheapest flights about 10 years ago.  I did pick up one of their bonus offers so I have some pts to and a credit to use up but once they are gone I don't really see the point in flying them.   Unless its because their airport is more convenient.   Plus it's just plain annoying to have to price them separately vs google flights. 

2 minutes ago, midtown said:

I stopped flying SWA in large because they stopped having  the cheapest flights about 10 years ago.  I did pick up one of their bonus offers so I have some pts to and a credit to use up but once they are gone I don't really see the point in flying them.   Unless its because their airport is more convenient.   Plus it's just plain annoying to have to price them separately vs google flights. 

Same. When we're looking at taking a family trip, SWA is never the cheaper option. They ceased being a cheaper option out of Love a while back which is disappointing because I'd much rather fly out of there than DFW. I miss flying Virgin America out of Love. Those flights were so enjoyable. Alaska took over their gates so that's an option if you're going to LAX, SFO, PDX, or SEA.