Southwest or every other airline in the history of the world?

Southwest or Every other airline in the history of the world  

103 members have voted

1. 1. Speaking of polls, I had sex with South_Austin's mom

• Southwest boarding sucks
    • Love Southwest boarding practices

7 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Sometimes I wonder if it's a grab for attention? It can't be ignorance.  You needed the mask to even get on board.  Are some people just out to fuck over 1000+ people's day?  she literally fucked over more than 1000 people I bet. 

Probably the only time she's ever felt important.

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

AA ought to sue her for the cost of that aborted flight and rebooking expenses. That has to be well into six figures.

Not to mention reboooking fees for all the passengers in London who were waiting to take that plane on their trip.  This lady didn't just fuck up one flight.  Tar and feather the bitch if she wants attention and then put her ass on the no fly list.

we flew AA nonstop Austin to Puerto Vallarta last week, then returned on United through IAH this week. all three planes barely half full if that, i guess a lot of people are still not traveling? anyway, the two long flights were super comfortable, with upgraded seats and nobody else sitting in our row. i love flights like that. planes were all nice and new and had in-seat charging which was nice. our only problem was weather moving through Houston delayed us about two hours but the captain and texts kept us SUPER updated on status lol. 
overall, considering the whole process is a giant PITA regardless, i was really happy with both airlines. the extra legroom is so worth it on flights of 2 hours or more, imo...i don't think we'll be booking SWA too much in the future unless it's a quick jaunt somewhere else in Texas. 

There's always a post holiday dip in load factors, but this year does seem more severe. Omicron is keeping some travelers away through the first quarter. Spring break and beyond is probably back to the normal craziness so it's a good time to get away if you can.
  • Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Not to mention reboooking fees for all the passengers in London who were waiting to take that plane on their trip.  This lady didn't just fuck up one flight.  Tar and feather the bitch if she wants attention and then put her ass on the no fly list.

Yep, chain reaction.  She fucked up the next flight, possibly the one after ,etc.  Selfish shit.  I don't give a fuck where you land on the mask debate but you knew the rules.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

I don't want to start a new thread, so I'll piggyback here.

I haven't flown in a few years, mostly because I don't fly much anyway and then a pandemic happened.  My 17 YO son and I need to fly Southwest to Florida in February for a college soccer ID tournament.  It occurs to me that I haven't flown with an almost-adult for whom I'm responsible in, well, ever.  Does he need picture ID?  What's the scoop on shortening TSA; i.e., pre-clearance packages, etc.?  Any vax records or negative covid tests required in the lower 48?  Is a two hour arrival window sufficient?

#idiot

If he is under 18 and with you he doesn’t need identification. To be honest I’d photo his passport or birth certificate she though just in case someone claims he is over 18 (extremely unlikely).

If you do not have PreCheck, you can buy Business Select airfare via Southwest and access that Fly By security line  

Domestic travel required no vaccine or negative test proof. Masks required within the airport snd on the aircraft.  

Arrival depends in the time of flight. If early morning TSA can be wild. Look at the TSA waiting times a few days sahedd and you’ll get a good idea og what the clusterfuck will be.  

2 minutes ago, The Ace of Aces said:

If he is under 18 and with you he doesn’t need identification. To be honest I’d photo his passport or birth certificate she though just in case someone claims he is over 18 (extremely unlikely).

If you do not have PreCheck, you can buy Business Select airfare via Southwest and access that Fly By security line  

Domestic travel required no vaccine or negative test proof. Masks required within the airport snd on the aircraft.  

Arrival depends in the time of flight. If early morning TSA can be wild. Look at the TSA waiting times a few days sahedd and you’ll get a good idea og what the clusterfuck will be.  

THANK YOU.  That is very helpful.  I'll look into the difference between PreCheck and Business Select -- I don't anticipate flying much this year, so a one-off might work with Business Select.

1 hour ago, closetohumping said:

Sometimes I wonder if it's a grab for attention? It can't be ignorance.  You needed the mask to even get on board.  Are some people just out to fuck over 1000+ people's day?  she literally fucked over more than 1000 people I bet. 

Of course it is. Now she’s an internet hero in certain circles. See PilotsError as exhibit A

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

THANK YOU.  That is very helpful.  I'll look into the difference between PreCheck and Business Select -- I don't anticipate flying much this year, so a one-off might work with Business Select.

Well Pre will take a while to get approved and requires an in-person interview (global entry/SENTRI is a better investment anyway) so you’re only option is the ticket itself. 

Edited by The Ace of Aces

3 hours ago, DaysOff said:

There's always a post holiday dip in load factors, but this year does seem more severe. Omicron is keeping some travelers away through the first quarter.

I just booked a flight to Belize for 15000 SWA pts.   So Id agree with this.  It will be interesting to see how full/empty my flights are.  However its seems that hotels in Belize are jammed. 

On 1/21/2022 at 10:02 AM, jimmyjazz said:

Check into CLEAR. it’s superior to pre-check when it comes to getting thru TSA quickly.  Last summer they were doing a 2 month free trial and I was able to time that to cover 3 vacations.   It’s every bit as easy as the website claims it is and you can sign up for it at the airport in less than 10 minutes and use it immediately; there’s no waiting for approval.  Your membership covers the kids too. 

https://www.clearme.com/enroll/?p=GBREXTRIAL&gclid=EAIaIQobChMInoWPrufI9QIV0Rx9Ch2JPACgEAAYASAAEgJiAPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds 

On 1/21/2022 at 6:53 AM, mdmost said:

I think they should've continued on and landed in Miami. Then when they're off the plane, you inform her that she's banned from flying on your airline and you're placing her on the no-fly list. 

This is what makes me think there’s more to the story than we are hearing.  Nobody’s turning around in the air for basic peaceful mask non-compliance. Those are generally being handled exactly like you described.  The ones making the news are the ones that got escalated into something beyond the mask. 

40 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

Check into CLEAR. it’s superior to pre-check when it comes to getting thru TSA quickly.  Last summer they were doing a 2 month free trial and I was able to time that to cover 3 vacations.   It’s every bit as easy as the website claims it is and you can sign up for it at the airport in less than 10 minutes and use it immediately; there’s no waiting for approval.  Your membership covers the kids too. 

Thanks, but we're flying in and out of Tampa, and it doesn't look like they're up and running there.  The Austin to Tampa leg isn't a tight time crunch, we can get there plenty early.  It's the return trip that's tight.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Your Mom said:

This is what makes me think there’s more to the story than we are hearing.  Nobody’s turning around in the air for basic peaceful mask non-compliance. Those are generally being handled exactly like you described.  The ones making the news are the ones that got escalated into something beyond the mask. 

It's weird that there are no cellphone videos coming out, right?

https://www.clearme.com/enroll/?p=GBREXTRIAL&gclid=EAIaIQobChMInoWPrufI9QIV0Rx9Ch2JPACgEAAYASAAEgJiAPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds 
Not all airports have CLEAR. Plan accordingly.
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 1/21/2022 at 2:41 PM, midtown said:

I just booked a flight to Belize for 15000 SWA pts.   So Id agree with this.  It will be interesting to see how full/empty my flights are.  However its seems that hotels in Belize are jammed. 

Mine was 10-15% full. Flew out last week. Took United this trip because Southwest, my main airline, wouldn’t let me check a new chainsaw. My buddies in Belize needed some new tools/equipment. It’s been nice with the low traffic. In San Pedro now and the place I’m at said they are <50% capacity currently.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 1/23/2022 at 3:24 PM, Your Mom said:

CLEAR is awesome.  ESPECIALLY at MCO.  PreCheck is useless there - the line is just as long as the non PreCheck line.

But, there is NO LINE at CLEAR.  You're at security in about 2 min.

Plus, a number of cards will reimburse you.  I know AMEX Platinum does.  It's $159/year for my GF and I and it's EASILY worth it...

It's not everywhere, but...

https://www.clearme.com/where-we-are

CLEAR is awesome.  ESPECIALLY at MCO.  PreCheck is useless there - the line is just as long as the non PreCheck line.
https://www.clearme.com/where-we-are

People have the hardest time understanding that they are not the same and completely separate and serve different purposes. Clear without pre is just as dumb as not having either imo.

32 minutes ago, midtown said:

People have the hardest time understanding that they are not the same and completely separate and serve different purposes. Clear without pre is just as dumb as not having either imo.

What would Pre get me in MCO?  There's a Pre line and a CLEAR line.  CLEAR has me taking off my shoes in 2 min.  Pre is a 30 min line...

What would Pre get me in MCO?  There's a Pre line and a CLEAR line.  CLEAR has me taking off my shoes in 2 min.  Pre is a 30 min line...
Pre with clear would have you not taking your shoes off at all or taking your laptop out or having to go through a body scanner. Clear simply bypasses the ID check. That is all. Getting clear only to go into the poors line doesn't make a lot of sense to me
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, midtown said:

Pre with clear would have you not taking your shoes off at all or taking your laptop out or having to go through a body scanner. Clear simply bypasses the ID check. That is all. Getting clear only to go into the poors line doesn't make a lot of sense to me

Ah...Gotcha.  I keep meaning to do it but...then I don't.  And now living in Corpus it's a bigger PITA since I have to goto SA to complete the process.

Oh shit. No drinks on SWA?  Crap.   That's how often I fly Soutwest.   I chose poorly.
  Guess Ill be filling a diet coke bottle with mini's at Hobby

Don’t get caught. Last time I went to Belize, the SWA flight attendant caught someone with alcohol they brought on right after boarding and went fucking off on her. I’d never seen anything like it. She told her she had 2 seconds to hand it over if she was dragging her ass off the plane and hand her over to the cops.

19 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

Don’t get caught. Last time I went to Belize, the SWA flight attendant caught someone with alcohol they brought on right after boarding and went fucking off on her. I’d never seen anything like it. She told her she had 2 seconds to hand it over if she was dragging her ass off the plane and hand her over to the cops.

Was this person pouring directly from mini's into her drink or simply drinking from a pre-made?  I just pour about 1/4 of the diet coke out and fill with jack.  I just find a gate with no one around and make the drink.   I also don't open and drink it right in front of an FA.   Unless is straight and smells from across the cabin how on earth would a FA even know? esp with a damn mask on

Edited by midtown

1 minute ago, midtown said:

Was this person pouring directly from mini's into her drink or simply drinking from a pre-made?

This clarification is required.  Unless your cup is 99% alcohol that everyone can smell, doubtful they'd know otherwise.  Don't pour them into your drink in plain sight on the fucking plane. 

49 minutes ago, midtown said:

Oh shit. No drinks on SWA?  Crap.   That's how often I fly Soutwest.   I chose poorly.

Guess Ill be filling a diet coke bottle with mini's at Hobby

AA isn't serving alcohol outside of First/Business right now, either (those fuckers).

And, the pilot on every flight I've been on has been sure to include in his pre-flight talk that consumption of any outside alcohol on the aircraft is a FELONY and they that they WILL nail your ass if they catch you.

That's probably a result of my first sentence...

Now First/Business?  You're getting as much booze as you'd like on your flight.

Was this person pouring directly from mini's into her drink or simply drinking from a pre-made?  I just pour about 1/4 of the diet coke out and fill with jack.  I just find a gate with no one around and make the drink.   I also don't open and drink it right in front of an FA.   Unless is straight and smells from across the cabin how on earth would a FA even know? esp with a damn mask on

IIRC, she hadn’t even opened it yet. She just had a mini in her hand.

12 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

IIRC, she hadn’t even opened it yet. She just had a mini in her hand.

Just having it in your hand is not in anyway illegal but clearly she was planning on opening it at some point.  IMO that's just dumb.

The last time I flew AA was this past May to Costa Rica and I think I had to do the pre-made now that I recall because my friend is a AA FA and she told me to do that.   Alaska is definitely serving.   And I thought United was too on international.  Damn covids

Edited by midtown

21 minutes ago, midtown said:

Just having it in your hand is not in anyway illegal but clearly she was planning on opening it at some point.  IMO that's just dumb.

The last time I flew AA was this past May to Costa Rica and I think I had to do the pre-made now that I recall because my friend is a AA FA and she told me to do that.   Alaska is definitely serving.   And I thought United was too on international.  Damn covids

Southwest and AA (just coach) are the only ones not serving, I think? 

1 hour ago, CooterBrown said:

Damn times have changed.  Me and a few buddies flew to Europe  in '90 after graduation to backpack all over.  Drank for several hours pre-flight, then drank like fish for the next 4 hours on our way to London until the stewardess decided these drunks needed to sleep and cut us off.  Of course all we did was pivot to our tequila in our carry-ons.  Started off 2.5 months with a bitchass hangover. 

5 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Damn times have changed.  Me and a few buddies flew to Europe  in '90 after graduation to backpack all over.  Drank for several hours pre-flight, then drank like fish for the next 4 hours on our way to London until the stewardess decided these drunks needed to sleep and cut us off.  Of course all we did was pivot to our tequila in our carry-ons.  Started off 2.5 months with a bitchass hangover. 

Well yeah, "times have changed" because FAs are getting assaulted, often physically, by drunk unruly passengers more and more.  Plus the dregs of society can't seem to grasp keeping their mask on (another federal thing) while getting lit on a plane.

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 1

46 minutes ago, Ag with kids said:

AA isn't serving alcohol outside of First/Business right now, either (those fuckers).

And, the pilot on every flight I've been on has been sure to include in his pre-flight talk that consumption of any outside alcohol on the aircraft is a FELONY and they that they WILL nail your ass if they catch you.

That's probably a result of my first sentence...

Now First/Business?  You're getting as much booze as you'd like on your flight.

Didn't know it was a felony but yea, frowned upon.

My guess is that most of the own alcohol on a plane issue is when you whip out a mini and pour it in plain site.    I would expect most of the time its a "hand it over" and that's that.   I assume most of the felony level problem comes when you combine it with "Im not wearing my mask" or "im so drunk that I am going to act like a cunt because I can't drink my own booze"

True story.  DFW to LHR on AA.  Pre vids.   Some 60 something tatted British dude and wife.  Have a full size bottle of Titos open and are pouring drinks.   How the FA's haven't seen it is beyond me or they just didn't care because they people weren't being at all disruptive or didn't want to start a fight half way across the N Atlantic.   At one point the dude who is clearly becoming drunk unknowingly drop his diabetic kit that ended up at my feet.  I picked it up and tapped him on the shoulder and he then acted pissed until I showed him his insulin kit at which point he thanked me I assume for saving his life. 

Edited by midtown

20 hours ago, midtown said:

Depends on where you fly from/to.  The Pre line at DIA is never longer than a few minutes.  There's no need for CLEAR here (although we do have it).

14 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Depends on where you fly from/to.  The Pre line at DIA is never longer than a few minutes.  There's no need for CLEAR here (although we do have it).

Agreed but I didn't say Pre without CLEAR.  I said CLEAR without PRE.   I know it seems like semantics or circular logic but it's not when people understand how they work or have all 3.  There are lots of airports where CLEAR is not a time saver at all.   At SAT I only use it if there are more than 6-7 people in the PRE line.    That and its easier not to dig my ID out and I like to give the CLEAR people something to do.   One place where CLEAR is a huge time saver is when you land at a major airport like DFW, IAH, SFO etc off an international flight and get thrown back into the TSA mix.    Another instance is when you have a connecting airport with separate security for different terminals with no internal transition.  Very rare but I think MCO has or had this issue.  Or your lounge is in a different terminal than your gate.   You are clearing security twice in the span of an hour or two.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, midtown said:

Any of your SWA lovers have any drink coupons that you aren't using?  I don't fly SWA much but wouldn't mind a few free drinks on the way to Belize next week.

10 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

and this is why the mask mandates on planes won't end for a while.   the union for these lazy fucks has too much power and if they started serving drinks then the sky waitresses will actually have to start doing work again.   they are the ultimate Karens on a power trip  

Edited by Bill Brasky
  • Like 3

Working on booking Italy this summer with assorted travel credits, cancelled tickets, etc.  It is "fun".  So complicated but I imagine its something they have to deal with due to all the cancelled trips over the past two years.  Been working on it with the Premier Desk for 40 minutes.  No light at the end of the tunnel, yet.

Edited by texasdago

15 minutes ago, Bill Brasky said:

and this is why the mask mandates on planes won't end for a while.   the union for these lazy fucks has too much power and if they started serving drinks then the sky waitresses will actually have to start doing work again.   they are the ultimate Karens on a power trip  

I completely agree on this.   They got used to not really having to do service and it sounds a lot like another group of people with powerful unions who liked things easy without regard to their customers.  If you don't want to serve drinks then cut the price.   Stop bailing these airlines out and let them start competing to stay in business. 

I'm stealing this idea but I read a travel blog that said if they really want to cool down inflation they need to open up travel so people start spending money on travel instead of chasing products.  Killing the mask mandate and this stupid completely illogical international testing

Edited by midtown
  • Like 2