Southwest or every other airline in the history of the world?

closetohumping

Southwest or Every other airline in the history of the world  

103 members have voted

1. 1. Speaking of polls, I had sex with South_Austin's mom

• Southwest boarding sucks
    • Love Southwest boarding practices

2 hours ago, Landomatic said:

Am I the only one who didn't realize someone could die from a nut from 30 feet away?

It’s all fun and games until you come home from work on a random Tuesday and your wife, who teaches kindergarten, is curled up in a ball on the couch crying because she had to use an epi pen on one of her students, who had a breathing tube put in by the EMTs before being taken to the hospital.  Because a kid brought peanuts for a snack.   The hatred she had for the peanut-bringing child’s mother never went away for the rest of the year, and when the younger sibling was starting school, she made sure he wasn’t in her class.  Kid ended up being fine after a brief stay in the hospital.  The degree of respect I I give to these type of things increased substantially that day.  I don’t know about the 30 feet thing,  but I’m fine with the no nuts policy.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

Fun with peanuts continued:

https://www.secretflying.com/posts/traumatised-family-claim-turkish-airlines-removed-them-from-flight-because-daughter-has-nut-allergy/

I likely have better understanding of the peanut risk than most. I've grown up knowing (and traveling repeatedly with) multiple people with severe peanut allergies, I know some of them have mild reactions instantly if a package of a product with peanuts is opened in the room with them, I've been trained on use of Epi-pen and recognizing signs of reaction. And that's why I have my opinion that I expressed in my earlier comments:

On 6/8/2022 at 10:03 PM, Sam Lin said:

FWIW I've never agreed with not serving nuts on a flight because one person was allergic. They can travel a different way or bring a positive pressure filtered rebreather, it's their health problem.

The risks to a severely allergic person are not something that can be managed by not serving nuts. Pay attention to how many of your food items contain nut allergy warnings on the packaging. It is the majority of foods. The severity of some people's peanut allergies means them boarding a flight is putting responsibility for their lives into all the other passengers and crew's hands. That is forcing everyone else to shoulder a responsibility that is absolutely not part of their obligation as passengers.

Here is a summary of airline nut policies:

https://upgradedpoints.com/travel/flying-with-allergies/

At most, an airline will provide you a special seat cleaning. With severe allergies, there are guaranteed residues on other seats and other areas of the aircraft, not to mention on other passengers and in other foods. It is extremely unwise for someone with a severe peanut allergy to blindly travel without their own PPE. They know their risks and the ways to mitigate the risk (as I mentioned, travel a different way - I've known people who had to use medical charters so the plane was actually fully disinfected. Or, positive pressure filtered rebreather. Lighter allergy cases are ok with just a mask.) Not protecting themselves should not mean everyone else needs to protect them.

On 6/13/2022 at 9:08 PM, Sam Lin said:

Fun with peanuts continued:

https://www.secretflying.com/posts/traumatised-family-claim-turkish-airlines-removed-them-from-flight-because-daughter-has-nut-allergy/

I likely have better understanding of the peanut risk than most. I've grown up knowing (and traveling repeatedly with) multiple people with severe peanut allergies, I know some of them have mild reactions instantly if a package of a product with peanuts is opened in the room with them, I've been trained on use of Epi-pen and recognizing signs of reaction. And that's why I have my opinion that I expressed in my earlier comments:

The risks to a severely allergic person are not something that can be managed by not serving nuts. Pay attention to how many of your food items contain nut allergy warnings on the packaging. It is the majority of foods. The severity of some people's peanut allergies means them boarding a flight is putting responsibility for their lives into all the other passengers and crew's hands. That is forcing everyone else to shoulder a responsibility that is absolutely not part of their obligation as passengers.

Here is a summary of airline nut policies:

https://upgradedpoints.com/travel/flying-with-allergies/

At most, an airline will provide you a special seat cleaning. With severe allergies, there are guaranteed residues on other seats and other areas of the aircraft, not to mention on other passengers and in other foods. It is extremely unwise for someone with a severe peanut allergy to blindly travel without their own PPE. They know their risks and the ways to mitigate the risk (as I mentioned, travel a different way - I've known people who had to use medical charters so the plane was actually fully disinfected. Or, positive pressure filtered rebreather. Lighter allergy cases are ok with just a mask.) Not protecting themselves should not mean everyone else needs to protect them.

I'd assume there's a difference between eating a peanut vs eating something that contains traces of nuts, like IDK cereal or whatever.  

• 2 months later...
34 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Yea.  First time on southwest in a few years.  Thsi is awful.   I didn’t check my bag and all the bin space is full.  So I’m rolling my bag trying to find an open spot in the bun.  End up all the way at the end. So I’m in the b group but I’m in the back with loud and drunk fucks

We realize that you have a choice when you fly. 

And you chose poorly. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

I’m a little upset that I am witnessing the demise of two Texas institutions (SWA and Whataburger).  SWA is more disturbing to me personally because I have a need for an airline that flies in and out of Love Field 2-3 times a month.  I have plenty of options for a good cheeseburger, not so many on the airline.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Helobious said:

I flew SWA to NYC and then back from Boston in the past week. 0 issues. Then again I also never check a bag and only fly 2-3 times a year. 

Flew it to Costa Rica - not a single issue,.  Granted, I don't slum it as much as CTH because I board A1-10.  And I don't check a bag, either. 

2 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

I’m a little upset that I am witnessing the demise of two Texas institutions (SWA and Whataburger).  SWA is more disturbing to me personally because I have a need for an airline that flies in and out of Love Field 2-3 times a month.  I have plenty of options for a good cheeseburger, not so many on the airline.

Whataburger is a Chicago institution 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Rage+1 2

27 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Not going to whine about it, but I'll take the honey roasted all day...

quoted for truth

flew SW (DAL to PNS).  we forgot to check in on time and ended up being basically the last people to board the plane.  Wife and i still got window exit row seats and plenty of space left for carryons.  gave our early teen kids the peace sign and told them to find their own seats further back in the plane.  so many families with young kids flying to Florida that basically no one even took the exit rows on a full flight. i was expecting to ride bitch in a middle seat.

3 hours ago, Js1 said:

Flew it to Costa Rica - not a single issue,.  Granted, I don't slum it as much as CTH because I board A1-10.  And I don't check a bag, either. 

Yup. I’ve been using Southwest for travel to Costa Rica a lot lately. I think 8 flights this year. Zero issues. It’s almost like some people don’t know how to travel.

4 hours ago, justhookit said:

Yup. I’ve been using Southwest for travel to Costa Rica a lot lately. I think 8 flights this year. Zero issues. It’s almost like some people don’t know how to travel.

It’s just a matter of numbers. You never hear about ok trips. It’s just bad ones that get airplay. As a AA guy averaging 75 flights a year for 20 years I have had less than one a year with major issues. 

Edited by Shaddie

1 hour ago, Shaddie said:

It’s just a matter of numbers. You never hear about ok trips. It’s just bad ones that get airplay. As a AA guy averaging 75 flights a year for 20 years I have had less than one a year with major issues. 

Exactly. I bet very few people here remember the Delta computer outage in 2016 but I sure do because it left me stranded in the Atlanta airport for 24 hours with 10,000 other lucky travelers. 

2 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

Exactly. I bet very few people here remember the Delta computer outage in 2016 but I sure do because it left me stranded in the Atlanta airport for 24 hours with 10,000 other lucky travelers. 

I’ll be honest though. If your experienced you know to book multiple ( refundable) hotel rooms when shit goes south. Saved my ass a few times on weather shit. 

• Hook 'Em 1

15 hours ago, Shaddie said:

Last weekend I flew Southwest from Kansas City to Love Field. I haven't been on an airliner in a year and I was expecting the absolute worst of society since that's essentially what Twitter and YouTube is telling me about flying these days. MCI is a shitty airport but the check-in and TSA experience was smooth. And then....the dreaded text message is received saying there's a 2 hour delay. "Uh oh, here comes the unruly crowd..."

Except none of that happened. People were annoyed but civil, nobody was yelling at the gate agents, everyone just sat around playing on their phones for an extra few hours. I was really impressed! So yeah, it's the law of large numbers that you'll eventually find yourself in a YouTube video but for my one-off experience it was just fine.

/CSB.

On 9/9/2022 at 4:14 PM, justhookit said:

Not exactly a hub route for the nonhumblebrag crowd.

• Haha 1

On 9/9/2022 at 10:03 PM, 4th&Five said:

I was at LHR during BA’s 2 day outage in 2017.  Place looked, felt, and smelt like a refugee camp. 

Last weekend I flew Southwest from Kansas City to Love Field. I haven't been on an airliner in a year and I was expecting the absolute worst of society since that's essentially what Twitter and YouTube is telling me about flying these days. MCI is a shitty airport but the check-in and TSA experience was smooth. And then....the dreaded text message is received saying there's a 2 hour delay. "Uh oh, here comes the unruly crowd..."
Except none of that happened. People were annoyed but civil, nobody was yelling at the gate agents, everyone just sat around playing on their phones for an extra few hours. I was really impressed! So yeah, it's the law of large numbers that you'll eventually find yourself in a YouTube video but for my one-off experience it was just fine.
/CSB.

Ah MCI. I’m a regular on the nonstop late Sunday nonstop to HOU and that place is just so outdated. Aren’t they building new terminals there or something?

15 hours ago, BearSchlong said:

Ah MCI. I’m a regular on the nonstop late Sunday nonstop to HOU and that place is just so outdated. Aren’t they building new terminals there or something?

I was there a couple weeks ago and it’s coming along. The building looks close to complete. No jetways are attached yet. Not sure of the opening date but I think it’s not too far off. Good riddance to that shithole terminal with its compartmentalized gates. 

4 hours ago, Your Mom said:

I was there a couple weeks ago and it’s coming along. The building looks close to complete. No jetways are attached yet. Not sure of the opening date but I think it’s not too far off. Good riddance to that shithole terminal with its compartmentalized gates. 

March 2023

• 3 months later...

holy shit SWA is having a terrible week.

https://www.npr.org/2022/12/26/1145536902/southwest-cancels-nearly-2-800-flights-in-a-full-blown-meltdown

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnn.com/travel/amp/flight-cancellations-christmas-2022-winter-storm/index.html

my family is booked on two different flights, Denver>Love field,  tomorrow...not cancelled yet, but they're reserving a rental car in CoSprings for tomorrow (no cars left in Denver).

what a clusterfuck. USDOT says they're going to be looking into it. 

https://www.usnews.com/news/top-news/articles/2022-12-26/u-s-to-examine-southwest-airlines-cancellations-calls-unacceptable

hope none of you guys have family affected 😒

holy shit SWA is having a terrible week.
https://www.npr.org/2022/12/26/1145536902/southwest-cancels-nearly-2-800-flights-in-a-full-blown-meltdown
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnn.com/travel/amp/flight-cancellations-christmas-2022-winter-storm/index.html
my family is booked on two different flights, Denver>Love field,  tomorrow...not cancelled yet, but they're reserving a rental car in CoSprings for tomorrow (no cars left in Denver).
what a clusterfuck. USDOT says they're going to be looking into it. 
https://www.usnews.com/news/top-news/articles/2022-12-26/u-s-to-examine-southwest-airlines-cancellations-calls-unacceptable

hope none of you guys have family affected

It is amazing to me seeing an airline whose entire brand built over decades was “maybe not fancy, but affordable, reliable” take a torch to the whole thing over the course of a year or so. Just poof, gone. And they’ll never get it back. When you lose trust across the board like this, it’s gone for good.

33 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

It is amazing to me seeing an airline whose entire brand built over decades was “maybe not fancy, but affordable, reliable” take a torch to the whole thing over the course of a year or so. Just poof, gone. And they’ll never get it back. When you lose trust across the board like this, it’s gone for good.

It's been happening for a long time.  If Southwest was based in Chicago, L.A., or NYC you fucking Texans would have  declared it a shit airline many years ago.   EDIT: or any city in oklahoma

It was really, really cool a few decades back, but those days are long gone.  

Edited by Gil Bang
  • Like 1

It's been happening for a long time.  If Southwest was based in Chicago, L.A., or NYC you fucking Texans would have  declared it a shit airline many years ago.  

It was really, really cool a few decades back, but those days are long gone.  

Funny what happens when industry-defying fuel contracts expire and you have to compete on the merits.
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

They haven’t been affordable on the routes I regularly fly in quite some time.  A lot longer than a year.  The not reliable thing seems like a recent development though.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

They haven’t been affordable on the routes I regularly fly in quite some time.  A lot longer than a year.  The not reliable thing seems like a recent development though.

Correct. Schedule and prices for many of the routes I fly just aren’t that competitive anymore (yeah, the expiration of those huge fuel-hedging contracts hurt…but it can’t explain ALL of the price spike). But you’re right, the plummeting reliability is a relatively recent creature.
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

Yea, the not reliable is new to me too. (So Brisket, they haven't lost me yet.) I haven't flown them since the pandemic, but I remember consistently that they were usually not that competitively priced, but sometimes they were, and those times they were a little quirky but fine, and I never regretted flying them.

Are you kidding. Their fan bois are a fucking cult. 90 percent of the people bitching about them online will rebook for their next shitty Orlando adventure because they're soooo much better. Not defending any legacy either. Fuck em all. Where's my contact. Four years past due.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Correct. Schedule and prices for many of the routes I fly just aren’t that competitive anymore (yeah, the expiration of those huge fuel-hedging contracts hurt…but it can’t explain ALL of the price spike). But you’re right, the plummeting reliability is a relatively recent creature.

If you do the companion pass and always use it, the math probably works in SWAs favor.  With  the vast majority of my flights originating in Dallas over the past 15 years, I would MUCH rather fly out of Love than DFW, probably saves me 30 minutes each way to the airport (and the additional Uber costs), but AA has kicked their ass so much on price that I schlep it out to DFW.  AA flights are always nonstop as well, so that makes up for the drive time, despite the fact that I’d rather pound a couple of drinks on a short layover at an airport bar than sit in traffic on LBJ with a sketchy Uber driver behind the wheel.