Southwest or every other airline in the history of the world?

closetohumping

Southwest or Every other airline in the history of the world  

103 members have voted

1. 1. Speaking of polls, I had sex with South_Austin's mom

• Southwest boarding sucks
    • Love Southwest boarding practices

51 minutes ago, DaysOff said:

Are you kidding. Their fan bois are a fucking cult. 90 percent of the people bitching about them online will rebook for their next shitty Orlando adventure because they're soooo much better. Not defending any legacy either. Fuck em all. Where's my contact. Four years past due.

I’ve been fucked over by every airline but SW so I still book on price. They haven’t been the cheapest in a few years. This whole thing will make me rethink booking them anytime soon. This is fucked. 

57 minutes ago, DaysOff said:

Are you kidding. Their fan bois are a fucking cult. 90 percent of the people bitching about them online will rebook for their next shitty Orlando adventure because they're soooo much better. Not defending any legacy either. Fuck em all. Where's my contact. Four years past due.

Southwest and Apple have the same bizarre mind control over some people, and it makes no sense at all.

• Like 1

^holy shit.

well i don't know if it's the right move or not, but we're headed to two different rental car places in CoSprings tomorrow as my folks opted to drive rather than risk getting stranded.

we made two reservations in case one of them falls thru...

seinfeld-reservation.gif.46a033eaaf12e9f2a3f0283dca4d3b37.gif

dad/sister are booked on early morning flight tomorrow, status TBD... if it was just them we could risk just waiting to see what will happen, dad's retired and sister can work from here. however...we also have my 20 yoa niece and her roommate, scheduled for tomorrow afternoon departure... and they both HAVE to report to their service industry jobs on Wednesday.

they aren't even old enough to rent a car...so if the early flight manages to take off okay... but then the girls' later flight gets cancelled... that will be a fucked up situation. 

so anyways, with time running out we decided the risk was too great. road trip! 

as a consolation...I think we'll swing by Whataburger while we're down there 😊

ETA theygot one of the last cars left at CoSprings airport, right behind another family having to drive to San Antonio lol. 

and this was good... correct order, fast, hot, tasted great! 🧡

20221227_121219.jpg

20221227_121852.jpg

Edited by mchookem
  • Hook 'Em 2

They cancelled more than 2/3’s of their flights today.  How’s that possible?  Has to be some sort of record.  

Link may work for some of you…Prob not the ones flying southwest.   
https://stocks.apple.com/A1UpyWoisTgK_nDA9qJGtIg
Then not having a hub and spoke design like most carriers has created havoc regarding crew scheudling. Combined w/the fact that their scheduling system ha down and has to be done by hand has contributed to this shit show.

Whenever,possible, I fly out of Burbank Airport.  I avoid LAX like the plague.  And SWA must have 60% of all traffic out of there.  Probably 50% of my flying is via SWA.  Fortunately the airport is adding a terminal to get more airlines in.  Wow what a mess for SWA.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, Mother mopar said:
8 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:
They cancelled more than 2/3’s of their flights today.  How’s that possible?  Has to be some sort of record.  

Link may work for some of you…Prob not the ones flying southwest.   
https://stocks.apple.com/A1UpyWoisTgK_nDA9qJGtIg

Then not having a hub and spoke design like most carriers has created havoc regarding crew scheudling. Combined w/the fact that their scheduling system ha down and has to be done by hand has contributed to this shit show.

Apparently they’re not much for investing in software tech.  Ass clowns

Forgot to mention my favorite part of waiting at SNA. An SWA pilot was sitting in the Carl’s Jr. in Terminal C on hold with their crew scheduling team for at least two hours.  I walked by him multiple times while he was playing games on his iPad with the call on speaker.  It seemed like it might be his passive aggressive way of letting everyone know it wasn’t his fault. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

Correct. Schedule and prices for many of the routes I fly just aren’t that competitive anymore (yeah, the expiration of those huge fuel-hedging contracts hurt…but it can’t explain ALL of the price spike). But you’re right, the plummeting reliability is a relatively recent creature.

It wasn’t just the expiration of the existing contracts, it was that when they expired, fuel was at the historical high price that hasn’t been beaten to date. They locked in those high prices for 10 years. So, the change from moving from an industry leading low cost fuel contract to the industry leading highest cost fuel contract had way more of an effect in ticket costs than you’d normally see at an airline.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

It wasn’t just the expiration of the existing contracts, it was that when they expired, fuel was at the historical high price that hasn’t been beaten to date. They locked in those high prices for 10 years. So, the change from moving from an industry leading low cost fuel contract to the industry leading highest cost fuel contract had way more of an effect in ticket costs than you’d normally see at an airline.

Did not know that. So, a leap from being lucky to stupid hasn’t worked well for them.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Did not know that. So, a leap from being lucky to stupid hasn’t worked well for them.

So it’s lucky when they get it right but stupid when they get it wrong? Seems to me it has to be either smart/stupid or lucky/unlucky. 

Edited by TonyTexas
  • Hook 'Em 1

30 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

Where did you see that SWA locked in prices for 10 years?  This is from the most recent 8k filed this month.  https://otp.tools.investis.com/clients/us/southwest/SEC/sec-show.aspx?Type=page&FilingId=16247511-6425-48485&CIK=0000092380&Index=20000

SWA is 56% hedged for 1Q 2023 with a forecasted hedging gain (hedged at $70 per barrel--current price is around $80--so, on fuel, they are doing better than the spot market) and 50% hedged for all of 2023.  SWA currently is 15% hedged for all of 2024.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, PilotsError said:

Southwest can't fly to Canada because their system can't accept Canadian dollars.  lol.  how antiquated of a system do they have?

https://www.businessinsider.com/southwest-airlines-reveals-why-it-doesnt-fly-to-canada-2021-4

That shit is on Canada. They require airlines serving Canada to accept shitty canuck shekel rupees. 

Mexico has no such requirement and SW has been flying there for almost 10 years.

2 hours ago, rage-a-holic said:

That shit is on Canada. They require airlines serving Canada to accept shitty canuck shekel rupees. 

Mexico has no such requirement and SW has been flying there for almost 10 years.

Flying in and out of Mexican vacation destinations doesn't rely upon Mexican O&D. It's a tiny piece of the business. Flights to Canada have a lot more Canadian O&D.

Flying in and out of Mexican vacation destinations doesn't rely upon Mexican O&D. It's a tiny piece of the business. Flights to Canada have a lot more Canadian O&D.
Mexico was just an example. SW flies to 10+ countries and doesn't accept anything but US dollars from any of them either. The Canuck currency requirement is typical stupid Canuck thing.

22 minutes ago, rage-a-holic said:
1 hour ago, royiv said:

Mexico was just an example. SW flies to 10+ countries and doesn't accept anything but US dollars from any of them either. The Canuck currency requirement is typical stupid Canuck thing.

Same thing applies. All of WN's international destinations are vacation destinations. Canadian destinations are a mix of business and leisure with O&D on both sides.

9 hours ago, Underdog said:

Welp… in DFW till Sunday.  Thursday flight canceled and next available isn’t until Saturday afternoon or anytime Sunday. 

There are a shit ton of angry TCU fans who are now scrambling to get a flight to Phoenix for the CFP after their flights were cancelled.  Houston, Austin, and any other city is what friends have reported but rental cars are likely all gone as well.  Herb Kelleher must be turning over in his grave watching his once proud little airline circling the drain like this.  While I've never had an issue with them, this sudden tsunami of cancellations, delays,overworked customer service reps, pilots, flight attendants may well force them out of the market.

There are a shit ton of angry TCU fans who are now scrambling to get a flight to Phoenix for the CFP after their flights were cancelled.  Houston, Austin, and any other city is what friends have reported but rental cars are likely all gone as well.  Herb Kelleher must be turning over in his grave watching his once proud little airline circling the drain like this.  While I've never had an issue with them, this sudden tsunami of cancellations, delays,overworked customer service reps, pilots, flight attendants may well force them out of the market.

It’s a 15 hour drive. Gas up, buncha pussies
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, pch said:

That has to suck. 

35 minutes ago, MirrOlure said:

It’s a 15 hour drive. Gas up, buncha pussies

Do like the recent story of strangers banding together for a rental and drove to their destination after their cancellation. 

Buddy of mine had his flight canceled to El Paso for the Sun Bowl.  No other options from local airports.  Bummer.  I imagine this will happen to a LOT of Bruin travelers.  Maybe the AD can get a charter put together to salvage the trip.

Edited by Sbbruin

18 hours ago, rage-a-holic said:

I recall SWA tried a codeshare agreement with WestJet and it lasted a minute.   I want to say they did the same with one of the Mexican airlines and it lasted just as long.   But they were able to get into that market with their own planes not too long after that failed.   

1 hour ago, Brodarious Hamm Sandwich said:

CEO shouldn’t be far behind. Very often, it’s tech leaders advocating to spend on modernization, but it often falls on deaf business ears

I was gonna say, I think this costs the CEO his job.  And to a couple  above posts, BODs don't get involved in shit like IT upgrade budget decisions.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

Buddy of mine had his flight canceled to El Paso for the Sun Bowl.  No other options from local airports.  Bummer.  I imagine this will happen to a LOT of Bruin travelers.  Maybe the AD can get a charter put together to salvage the trip.

Bad news for the 3 people that give a shit about the Sun Bowl.

• Haha 2

I had another flight tomorrow to Greenville where they sent a text cancellation two days ago but it was still showing as live in the app.  Finally today the flight shows as cancelled and I was prompted to cancel or rebook in the app. When I chose cancel they gave me credit and I had to fill out a separate form for a refund on a flight they canceled.  0% faith they get any of this right. 

I am booked on SW to get to Vegas next Wednesday out of Love for CES. Back Friday night. At the time the flight was $300 cheaper than AA.

I am very worried whether my flight will happen or if I might get bumped off by all these delayed folks. To go on American affordable I have to go Tuesday and back Saturday as the rest is booked. I am staring at a flight on Spirit that fits my schedule but can’t pull that trigger.

I will spend part of the day figuring out flying out of OKC or Austin or Houston. Never again on Southwest. Fuck them.

The CIO should be whacked. The CEO should have a head on a stick. The CFO should be put in a rocket and shot into the sun. The Board should be pushed out of a 737 at 15000 feet over the Gulf. The SEC and FAA should do a complete investigation and decide what to do with this company. The shareholders should hire a private investigator and sue the board. Inexcusable. This kind of incompetence cannot be tolerated in our economy.

11 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

I am booked on SW to get to Vegas next Wednesday out of Love for CES.

8 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

I'm also heading to Vegas on Wed for CES. Godspeed

First Surly hookup?  Y’all two don’t get crazy and get hitched while out there. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1