Southwest or every other airline in the history of the world?

closetohumping

Southwest or Every other airline in the history of the world  

103 members have voted

1. 1. Speaking of polls, I had sex with South_Austin's mom

• Southwest boarding sucks
    • Love Southwest boarding practices

21 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

I don't have an agenda, actually, unless you view being against rumormongering to be an agenda.

If evidence comes to light that this fuck up is related to vax mandates, directly or indirectly, I have no problem accepting that.

And, a retired pilot is not "just as insider" as my source.  Your source's anecdotal commentary is contrary to the data that SWA put out regarding its level of absenteeism.  Is SWA lying about how many pilots and crew have taken vacation or retired early?  I don't know.  But I've not seen anything other than your post that a retired pilot friend of yours told you "a bunch of employees who know they won't be there after the vaxx mandates go into effect (either because they'll quit or know they'll be fired) decided to take their remaining vacation time as kind of a 'use it or lose it' type deal."  That sounds to me like a classic, "lots of people are saying" type of evidence.

My source's story is corroborated by objective evidence; the only thing I've seen so far to challenge that is something I saw the other day suggesting that the Jacksonville ATC was not short staffed.  But I haven't delved into that because frankly it's not that important to me to dO tHe rEaSEArch.

So your current employee source is a more credible source than my former employee source. That argument could cut both ways too, but you seem to give a lot more fucks about this than me, so I won’t waste more time arguing with you. But my dad can still beat up your dad.

1 minute ago, Landomatic said:

So your current employee source is a more credible source than my former employee source. That argument could cut both ways too, but you seem to give a lot more fucks about this than me, so I won’t waste more time arguing with you. But my dad can still beat up your dad.

Oh yeah?

4 hours ago, royiv said:

The ex military thing cracks me up. Those guys have all had compulsory vaccinations for all sorts of exotic diseases as dictated by Uncle Sam and a little COVID vaccine scares them now?

The guy who cleans my pool is ex military. Heard all about all the different vaxx he had to take when he was active. But now he will not, under any circumstances, get the covid vaxx for whatever reason. Weird

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, msbesq said:

We were in Albuquerque for the balloon festival and didn't find out about our cancellation until 3 hours before our flight home to Houston. SW never contacted us, our daughter heard and texted us. Still haven't heard from them, but they are processing our refund after I had to call them. 16 hour drive back to Houston Hobby in a rental car equals no fun.

There was a shortage opn rentals as well.

22 hours ago, msbesq said:

We were in Albuquerque for the balloon festival and didn't find out about our cancellation until 3 hours before our flight home to Houston. SW never contacted us, our daughter heard and texted us. Still haven't heard from them, but they are processing our refund after I had to call them. 16 hour drive back to Houston Hobby in a rental car equals no fun.

Why didn't you just take a balloon?  Seems like an opportunity missed.

• Hook 'Em 1

The guy who cleans my pool is ex military. Heard all about all the different vaxx he had to take when he was active. But now he will not, under any circumstances, get the covid vaxx for whatever reason. Weird

Some of my coworkers that are ex military refuse to as well. It is strange.

fucking assholes let me know at 10:40pm on Sunday night that my 6:00am flight had been cancelled.  I had a very important meeting at 10:00am in Houston so this was an absolute disaster for me.  I had to drive home from Florida in my rental car.  Cost me an extra $300 to return the rental at the HOU airport rather than Florida airport.  absoutely unacceptable.  

1 hour ago, pepper brooks said:

fucking assholes let me know at 10:40pm on Sunday night that my 6:00am flight had been cancelled.  I had a very important meeting at 10:00am in Houston so this was an absolute disaster for me.  I had to drive home from Florida in my rental car.  Cost me an extra $300 to return the rental at the HOU airport rather than Florida airport.  absoutely unacceptable.  

They told me at 130 for a 6 am flight.  Yea.   Are 300 to fly on United.  

Used to work for SWA.  Still have many friends that are still there and I keep in contact with.  Worked in the "ivory tower" with Strategic Planning & Analysis and Enterprise, specifically their Enterprise Data Science Center teams.  

I can tell you they have been a big bowl or warmed over dog shit for some time now.  So why SWA?  Their pilot union was very clear in their press release was aware of "operational difficulties", but did overtly deny any vaxx related issues.  Fine.  I can also tell you they had the WORST OTP (on time performance) and greatest % of cancelled flights of any of the four major airlines this summer (Flight tracking service).

• A premature then hasty retraction of a vaxx mandate?  Probably in some capacity.  Was it planned as a "sick out" by pilots and ATCs (air traffic controllers)?  Doubtful.  
  • Limited staffing in FL?  Lol.  This is planned like a fucking moon landing.  It doesn't just "happen"
  • But weather?  Same weather for everyone guys.  So strike that weak excuse.  

It seems to be a confluence of all these events tipping over an already shitty organization that was weak to begin with.  Heard sources did whisper people in Jacksonville did contribute as ATC holdouts influenced staffing....BUT, just SWA?  So pilots?  There are a few for sure, but sole attribution to this is flimsy.  

Everyone else was able to navigate these hurdles just fine that are not unique to just SWA.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Further, if this was a "planned protest" you'd have some overt acknowledgement on what you are protesting against.  Even a subtle wink/nod toward something is not unusual.  Maybe some people that wanted to shoot the middle finger at SWA saw what was happening and all called in sick just to twist the knife, but that seems as far as any planning.  The rest is just utter and complete incompetence on a shitty airline.  

• Hook 'Em 1

As stated previously, this ain't Herb Kelleher's spunky little airline no more. It's just another shitty corporate air cattle shipping company.

This is the most disappointing reality check of the new era for me. I remember the days when what they brought was: we’ll get you there cheap, and reliably/on time. And if weather fucked your over, they’d reschedule you quickly and give you some free drinks. Was my go-to for most domestic flights.

Now….I’ve flown American several times instead because they have a better schedule, cheaper flights, and are more likely to get me there on time. WTF?

I guess it all depends on where you need to go, but for me, Southwest has not been the cheaper option for at least 5 years.

Seems like the change was when they panic bought their fuel contract at the peak of prices 6-7 years ago and the other domestic carriers waited. Fuel prices came down and from that point forward, SWA no longer could afford cheaper seats now that they were over paying for fuel.
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 10/13/2021 at 12:16 PM, closetohumping said:

Great!  Wtf is the problem here then?   I had to stay an extra day in Harlingen cuz of this.  Unacceptable!

Harlingen?  Shit.  Someone needs to go to jail for that.

I got to spend 5 weeks in Harlingen this summer.  That was the worst 20 years of my life.

• Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Can’t find the churning thread so this might as well do…

For the last 4 years I’ve had companion pass and A-list, mostly leveraging CC points and business travel. With ZERO of the latter this year it’s been a bit of a lift, but I ended up 4K points short of both and Customer Service won’t do shit for me.

So, I’m done… won’t be flying this garbage tin can again and am looking for better CC options. Already have the Chase SR which I’m also looking to ditch.

American and AE the best options?

On 10/17/2021 at 11:45 AM, Ag with kids said:

Harlingen?  Shit.  Someone needs to go to jail for that.

I got to spend 5 weeks in Harlingen this summer.  That was the worst 20 years of my life.

Harlingen airport is the only airport I've ever flown out of that has (had? Its been a few years) a boot jack at the security check.

2 hours ago, Party_Taco said:

Can’t find the churning thread so this might as well do…

For the last 4 years I’ve had companion pass and A-list, mostly leveraging CC points and business travel. With ZERO of the latter this year it’s been a bit of a lift, but I ended up 4K points short of both and Customer Service won’t do shit for me.

So, I’m done… won’t be flying this garbage tin can again and am looking for better CC options. Already have the Chase SR which I’m also looking to ditch.

American and AE the best options?

Wait, so Southwest won’t give you free points when you didn’t earn enough and you’re blaming them?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

Wait, so Southwest won’t give you free points when you didn’t earn enough and you’re blaming them?

Lol no… what I’m saying is that 1) they significantly raised the threshold despite business travel being down and 2) won’t allow me to spend my way over the new threshold as the CC has already processed for the month.

I bought 15k points to get over the limit, having been urged to do so through their own site, but they won’t apply those to status (despite previous implications).

Their only suggestion is to “take a quick trip” which is obviously off the table as I currently have Omicron.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Haven't read where Southwest has cancelled numerous flights like Delta and United.  Currently in DC and flying out (HOPEFULLY!!) on Monday night.  Nephew said no problem if we have to stay a few more days at their place on Capitol Hill, but I'm ready to get back to Texas.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 6/12/2021 at 7:38 PM, royiv said:

Southwest fanbois are so insufferable.

Also, why do we allow folks on this board to throw slurs around so casually? Imagine the word beginning with f above is replaced by a word starting with n. Can't imagine that would go over well.

well that is ridiculous. the airline snobs are gay, not black.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Party_Taco said:

Lol no… what I’m saying is that 1) they significantly raised the threshold despite business travel being down and 2) won’t allow me to spend my way over the new threshold as the CC has already processed for the month.

I bought 15k points to get over the limit, having been urged to do so through their own site, but they won’t apply those to status (despite previous implications).

Their only suggestion is to “take a quick trip” which is obviously off the table as I currently have Omicron.

Their own website says bought points don’t count towards status or CP

369D2391-818A-4CC2-90BA-876BD24A7FFD.jpeg

I did a quick round trip from austin to Hobby a few years back on Dec30th to get over the hump by about 100 points. Walked off the plane in Houston and got on standby for the austin flight that was currently boarding. I was back at my desk in austin by 8:30 am. I used that companion pass at least 5 times the following year. That was the end of an 8 year run.

Their own website says bought points don’t count towards status or CP

369D2391-818A-4CC2-90BA-876BD24A7FFD.thumb.jpeg.864cfb88ade1f502b265e5421fca9641.jpeg

Shame that the click throughs from the email I received, specifically calling out actions to get qualifying points, said otherwise.

Regardless, the inability to pay to get over the top is regarded and their lack of care for someone who routinely flies 40 flights a year with them (though not last year) is disconcerting. It’s a fucking pandemic… INCREASING your thresholds makes no sense.

I spent 72k on their CC this year and didn’t qualify for basic tiers? Get fucked.

I did a quick round trip from austin to Hobby a few years back on Dec30th to get over the hump by about 100 points. Walked off the plane in Houston and got on standby for the austin flight that was currently boarding. I was back at my desk in austin by 8:30 am. I used that companion pass at least 5 times the following year. That was the end of an 8 year run.

Like I said, I would be ALL over that if I didn’t have Omicron right now. It ain’t happening, and the fact they won’t make an exception is maddening.

I get it… I’m an entitled asshole. I just expect more for my money and dedication these days.

• 4 weeks later...

Just heard about a AA flight last night from MIA to LHR that turned around 90 minutes into the flight because a woman refused to wear a mask and "became disruptive."

A London-bound American Airlines flight that left Miami had to turn back more than an hour into its trip after a passenger refused to wear a mask and became “disruptive,” the airline said.

The mask drama happened Wednesday night while the American Airlines Boeing 777-300ER was about 34,000 feet over the Atlantic, just off the coast of the Carolinas on the way to London’s Heathrow Airport, according to FlightAware, an online flight tracker.

American Airlines didn’t specify the “disruptive” behavior, but it was enough to have the flight return to Miami International Airport, where police were waiting at the gate. The plane was about an hour and a half into its flight before changing course, according to Miami Herald news partner CBS4.

Miami-Dade police said the woman got off the plane and was dealt with “administratively” by the airline’s staff. Police said they did not arrest her and no one was injured.

“American Airlines flight 38 with service from Miami (MIA) to London (LHR) returned to MIA due to a disruptive customer refusing to comply with the federal mask requirement,” American Airlines said in a statement Thursday morning. “The flight landed safely at MIA where local law enforcement met the aircraft. We thank our crew for their professionalism and apologize to our customers for the inconvenience.”

To have been a passenger on the same plane with that person would have been a huge fucking inconvenience. They de-boarded the plane and had to re-book everyone. Finding a hotel to stay the night in MIA before you could depart again would probably come out of passengers' own pockets, or from their insurer. I would have been in a rage and thought of nothing but beating the living fuck out of that woman for the 90 minutes it took to fly back to MIA. I'd have voted for tying her up and gagging her in the back of the plane for the trip duration and let her sit in her own waste for the flight.

I've avoided flying into and out of Florida for awhile now because that's where most of the nutcases are. I'll continue to avoid it.

Edited by Chopper
  • Rage+1 1

39 minutes ago, Chopper said:

Just heard about a AA flight last night from MIA to LHR that turned around 90 minutes into the flight because a woman refused to wear a mask and "became disruptive."

To have been a passenger on the same plane with that person would have been a huge fucking inconvenience. They de-boarded the plane and had to re-book everyone. Finding a hotel to stay the night in MIA before you could depart again would probably come out of passengers' own pockets, or from their insurer. I would have been in a rage and thought of nothing but beating the living fuck out of that woman for the 90 minutes it took to fly back to MIA. I'd have voted for tying her up and gagging her in the back of the plane for the trip duration and let her sit in her own waste for the flight.

I've avoided flying into and out of Florida for awhile now because that's where most of the nutcases are. I'll continue to avoid it.

Wish the police would’ve arrested her.  Holy fuck

we flew AA nonstop Austin to Puerto Vallarta last week, then returned on United through IAH this week. all three planes barely half full if that, i guess a lot of people are still not traveling? anyway, the two long flights were super comfortable, with upgraded seats and nobody else sitting in our row. i love flights like that. planes were all nice and new and had in-seat charging which was nice. our only problem was weather moving through Houston delayed us about two hours but the captain and texts kept us SUPER updated on status lol. 

overall, considering the whole process is a giant PITA regardless, i was really happy with both airlines. the extra legroom is so worth it on flights of 2 hours or more, imo...i don't think we'll be booking SWA too much in the future unless it's a quick jaunt somewhere else in Texas. 

• Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, TXSooner518 said:

Whether you support a mask mandate or not, she knew those were the fucking rules when she bought the ticket and when she got on the plane and still decided to fuck up the lives of a couple hundred other people, and all the people that were counting on the travel plans of those people, and I'd smash her face with a sledgehammer and sleep like an absolute baby. 

Can't argue with this.   It's like going to a vegan restaurant and being pissed they don't serve pork and then making sure nobody else gets to eat. 

• Hook 'Em 5

I don't want to start a new thread, so I'll piggyback here.

I haven't flown in a few years, mostly because I don't fly much anyway and then a pandemic happened.  My 17 YO son and I need to fly Southwest to Florida in February for a college soccer ID tournament.  It occurs to me that I haven't flown with an almost-adult for whom I'm responsible in, well, ever.  Does he need picture ID?  What's the scoop on shortening TSA; i.e., pre-clearance packages, etc.?  Any vax records or negative covid tests required in the lower 48?  Is a two hour arrival window sufficient?

#idiot

1 hour ago, mdmost said:

I think they should've continued on and landed in Miami. Then when they're off the plane, you inform her that she's banned from flying on your airline and you're placing her on the no-fly list. 

She was not arrested, but she was handed over to AA officials.  The article I read said she is currently now on AA's no-fly list pending the investigation.  She's going to be bigly fined for violating the mask mandate.  Apparently just violating the mandate is not an arrestable offense because she didn't get violent. 

Kinda shitty they didn't tell the rest of the plane why they turned around.  Probably for her own safety, because someone would have and should have just ducktaped to her to the seat and continued on. 

32 minutes ago, Js1 said:

She was not arrested, but she was handed over to AA officials.  The article I read said she is currently now on AA's no-fly list pending the investigation.  She's going to be bigly fined for violating the mask mandate.  Apparently just violating the mandate is not an arrestable offense because she didn't get violent. 

Kinda shitty they didn't tell the rest of the plane why they turned around.  Probably for her own safety, because someone would have and should have just ducktaped to her to the seat and continued on. 

Sometimes I wonder if it's a grab for attention? It can't be ignorance.  You needed the mask to even get on board.  Are some people just out to fuck over 1000+ people's day?  she literally fucked over more than 1000 people I bet.