Bill Maher has become the whiny little bitch he complains about

Satchel

Watching him devolve into a bitter old man is depressing and his war on wokeness has made him a tedious one truck pony.

His show has been a favorite of mine since his days on ABC, but in the last year, he has shown his true colors. Case in point: Last night, as a preface to his weekly whining about wokeness, he read an account from “some newsfeed” about a Seattle city council person wanting to “decriminalize crime” I’m guessing nobody (outside of Seattle and Bill) knows or cares about a defeated city ordinance, but Bill somehow made this about the problem with Democrats and their penchant for wokeness. 

Bill needs to understand that Abbott, Patrick and Paxton are not woke. In fact, they are the antithesis of woke. But they pose a greater threat to our democratic way of life than some obscure city council person in Seattle Bill wants to use as proof positive that all far left progressives are the bane of our existence.

• Hook 'Em 5

He’s never been an A-list comedian but he’s been funny. I agree that he’s been on the decline in the last year or so. He still can have his moments but I find myself less motivated to watch his show. He hasn’t handled the pandemic well and definitely seems to be more bitter and cranky. The quality of his show is so much dictated by the quality of his guests. But there are three comedy segments: the monologue, New Rules, and some bit he does in the middle of the show. Those are often pretty good. Not always, but more often than not.

I’d probably still party with him. And Religulous is still funny.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

He’s a smart guy, but he always struck me as a guy that not only likes the smell of his own farts, but thinks that you should too and there’s something wrong with you if you don’t. 
he was usually pretty knowledgeable on some issues and if someone came on the show to debate him on those issues he could tie them in knots. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

After seeing the way Dennis Miller and Maher have declined and gotten warped, maybe it’s a good thing Bill Hicks and Carlin and Kinnison and Farley went out when they did.

I keep wondering if Hicks and Carlin would have either offed themselves, or if they would have been enjoying roasting the shit out of everybody.  I imagine that they would have been trolling the absolute shit out of the right-wingers/qanon/etc.

One thing I liked about Carlin is that nobody was immune to his inspection/ commentary.  I doubt he would have "jerseyed up" like some of the "yeah team" crowd these days.

Chappelle calls it pretty straight too, but sometimes gets on his issues soapbox.

Edited by slorch

9 minutes ago, DCA_HORN said:

Bill is the same as he's always been. The difference is that today there is no room for any criticism of the team. He's always called it like he's seen it.

I think there was a noticeable shift after the 2020 election. 

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I think there was a noticeable shift after the 2020 election. 

He’s been a douchebag on several areas, to name just a few:

-Israel/Palestine
-Covert military operations
-Obsessively equating right wing efforts to suppress freedom of expression with “left wing wokeness”
-Not being able to connect dots on a host of issues (his gripes with K-12 education and college make it sound like they’re in completely separate vacuums, which is especially perplexing given his propensity to cite Scandinavia as a model of success)
-Romanticism of Bill Clinton

This latest New Rules segment is just more of the same. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, WhatTheBuck said:

Is this what we’re talking about? I don’t really see a problem here.

Yeah, that was a lot more measured than just raging wildly at Millennials and GenZ, which he often does like an old man screaming at clouds.

29 minutes ago, SizzleChest said:

Yeah, that was a lot more measured than just raging wildly at Millennials and GenZ, which he often does like an old man screaming at clouds.

Care to give us an example? If he often does that, it shouldn’t be hard. 

26 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Care to give us an example? If he often does that, it shouldn’t be hard. 

I went back and watched the previous segment and he was doing it.  

But, wait.  Are we arguing that Bill Maher doesn’t bitch about Millenials / GenZ?  It comes off as total disregard for anyone younger than 30.  It’s fucking depressing because he rarely has anyone under 30 on his show.

Rob Reiner, who is usually quite animated, just sitting there calmly looking at Maher like he’s the screaming lunatic now.  Which he is.

Bill is as bad as these people. He knows damn well the vast majority of people on the left acknowledge progress. He doesn’t need John McWhorter, Leo Terrell and Lawrence Jones on his show to help him criticize black people for not being happy. He hasn’t been the same since after having been put in check for his indiscreet use of the n word. 
https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/bill-maher-racial-social-progress

53 minutes ago, SizzleChest said:

I went back and watched the previous segment and he was doing it.  

But, wait.  Are we arguing that Bill Maher doesn’t bitch about Millenials / GenZ?  It comes off as total disregard for anyone younger than 30.  It’s fucking depressing because he rarely has anyone under 30 on his show.

Rob Reiner, who is usually quite animated, just sitting there calmly looking at Maher like he’s the screaming lunatic now.  Which he is.

No he wasn’t. 

He’s always had conservatives on his show. It’s only in the last year or so that he started agreeing with them. His conversation with Dan Crenshaw was eye opening. It’s clear he is serious when saying he’d be a Republican if they would.

40 minutes ago, Satchel said:

He’s always had conservatives on his show. It’s only in the last year or so that he started agreeing with them. His conversation with Dan Crenshaw was eye opening. It’s clear he is serious when saying he’d be a Republican if they would.

EYE SWYDT

Edited by MaybeACoordinator
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

After seeing the way Dennis Miller and Maher have declined and gotten warped, maybe it’s a good thing Bill Hicks and Carlin and Kinnison and Farley went out when they did.

Are you talking about age wise? Carlin died at 71.

13 hours ago, DCA_HORN said:

Bill is the same as he's always been. The difference is that today there is no room for any criticism of the team. He's always called it like he's seen it.

9 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

He is basically the same as he’s always been.   Funny if he’s making fun of the people you don’t like, and a huge douchebag if he’s making fun of your side.   He’s always been smug and miserable.

People thinking it’s unacceptable to ever talk about ____ because _____ is so much worse is kind of a more recent thing in our new whatabout culture.   He’s not wrong about the insane woke guy of the week, even if Trump and Dan Patrick have more power and also did something stupid.   I don’t think Maher is going to be mistaken for a GOP apologist just because he doesn’t devote 100% of his airtime to bashing them.

It’s 100% this. He cracks jokes about politically sensitive material more than just about anybody. It’s his bit. People just have trouble taking jokes now. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

Man, there are some sensitive bitches up in this thread that sound more like a whiny little bitch than Bill Maher did on that episode.  I watched it last night and didn’t really see him being any different than he has been since his Politically Incorrect days years ago.  The only change I have seen in him is that the Trump years made him nuts with paranoia about the possible fall of our Democracy but he ain’t alone in those thoughts.  Not sure who said it in this thread but the most accurate comment about that episode is that lady on it was annoying as shit.  I would hope she is never invited back.  Reiner didn’t speak as much because she was basically begging for the spotlight the entire show and wouldn’t shut up.  On top of that I didn’t think she really said anything that interesting. 

• Hook 'Em 1

So OP only wants to watch political shows where the host parrots the progressive talking points at all times or it will disrupt his safe space echo chamber.

Gee, I wonder how our political environment became so polarized?

Sounds like OP is the real whiney little bitch.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

It's important for progressives to get their card pulled from time to time.  Everyone should.

I watched the two clips shared on this thread by what the buck, and Maher seemed well grounded. Folks are free to share other clips if those don't capture the topic well enough.   I personally find him smuggish and overly-righteous, but his comedy is decent. 

He did clown the extremist end of progressivism some. There is nothing wrong with that.  Or is there?  I understand if someone identifies that way, they could be offended.  I recommend anyone offended by Maher to cowboy up. 

• Hook 'Em 2

i don't get a sense he's lurched right at all... but his position has always been highly critical of overly sensitive types, so his mocking of 'wokeness' is not surprising... and i tend to share the view at times. 

however, he has gotten overly touchy with the audience, or even his guests, when they don't react to something he says the way he likes.  like if the audience doesn't laugh enough, or he hears groans, or a guest doesn't seem to 'get' his point...he gets annoyed and put out a lot more frequently. at least enough where it's noticeable. 

he's always hammered the overly sensitive... ironically he's becoming just that as he's aged.

The time when Bill, during the height of Trump’s birtherism campaign against Obama, accused Trump of being sired by an orangutan and demanded to see his birth certificate, will never not be hilarious. Trump sued him, eventually dropping the lawsuit, but he also actually sent him a copy of his birth certificate. But not his “long form” birth certificate like Trump demanded to see from Obama. That was comedy gold. 

• Haha 1

Old codger Bill has decided he alone will determine who should be subject to ridicule. In one moment he’s trashing people of  faith for their stupidity, and in the next he’s rebuking any criticism of Trump voters because (in his words) 73 million people voted for him. There’s a reason Bill gets support on Texags.  He’s. become a useful tool of the right by placing anything that doesn’t comport with his idea of liberalism under the rubric of wokeness. Since he’s watched the right do the same thing with diversity, multiculturalism, BLM,, ACORN and any other social movement or idea with benefits that inure to people in the non dominant culture, I expected more of him.

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, Satchel said:

Old codger Bill has decided he alone will determine who should be subject to ridicule. In one moment he’s trashing people of  faith for their stupidity, and in the next he’s rebuking any criticism of Trump voters because (in his words) 73 million people voted for him. There’s a reason Bill gets support on Texags.  He’s. become a useful tool of the right by placing anything that doesn’t comport with his idea of liberalism under the rubric of wokeness. Since he’s watched the right do the same thing with diversity, multiculturalism, BLM,, ACORN and any other social movement or idea with benefits that inure to people in the non dominant culture, I expected more of him.

Maher's a classic liberal and classic liberals on TV or in the MSM are basically unicorns now.

His response is to shit on all of it, which is one way of addressing the problem., I guess.  You know, instead of having these people on his show to debate like he used to.  These would be hellacious debates, and I'm sure Maher would win his fair share, if not most of them.

Perhaps the issue is that he can't book these people on his show because they view him as unacceptable for saying the n-word that one time, or other controversies.  I could see that in one sense, but in another it's TV and the left likes being on TV almost as much as they like to break dance all over Twitter.  But these people are NOT the majority of the left, just like left Twitter is not reality.

Guests like the one the other night (not Reiner), and it's just not worth watching because it's the same uninteresting, bloviating, generational bitching crap.

Edited by SizzleChest

9 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

He’s not a tool of the right.   He explicitly talks about being a Democrat and needing to counter the right in every episode.  

To the extent there seems like a change, Maher himself basically told everyone what it was a few months ago in this one:

When he started doing “Politically Incorrect”, the uptight people were thought to be (and probably were in fact) more on the conservative side.  Think people in blazers trying to ban Twisted Sister and rap music, small town preachers who wouldn’t let Kevin Bacon dance, etc.  The movie PCU was about a bunch of Reaganites making the university politically correct, and the liberals were the ones who wanted raw, uncensored speech and individuality.

Now the left wing is thought to be (and probably is, in fact) the more uptight side telling people what they can and can’t say or do in the name of political correctness.   Bill Maher is not going to be a loyal foot soldier for that even if he agrees with your other politics.   His whole career for the last 30 years has been based on telling people to stop clutching their pearls over PC/woke issues.

As he clutches his.