Bill Maher has become the whiny little bitch he complains about

Satchel

1 hour ago, longhornmatt said:

He’s not a tool of the right.   He explicitly talks about being a Democrat and needing to counter the right in every episode.  

To the extent there seems like a change, Maher himself basically told everyone what it was a few weeks ago in this one:

When he started doing “Politically Incorrect”, the uptight people were thought to be (and probably were in fact) more on the conservative side.  Think people in blazers trying to ban Twisted Sister and rap music, small town preachers who wouldn’t let Kevin Bacon dance, etc.  The movie PCU was about a bunch of Reaganites making the university politically correct, and the liberals were the ones who wanted raw, uncensored speech and individuality.

Now the left wing is thought to be (and probably is, in fact) the more uptight side telling people what they can and can’t say or do in the name of political correctness.   Bill Maher is not going to be a loyal foot soldier for that even if he agrees with your other politics.   His whole career for the last 30 years has been based on telling people to stop clutching their pearls over PC/woke issues.

He lost all of his savings in Lehman Brothers when Dubya stood back and let them die. Then he donated $1 Million to the Obama campaign.

Maybe Satchel.needs a refresher.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, WhatTheBuck said:

He’s always done that and I support him 100% in that endeavor.

Again, Religulous is still funny. 

I’ve watched Bill forever and his hard on for religion has never bothered me, even as a person of faith. It’s his hypocrisy regarding who deserves to be the objects of his scorn is what I find off putting. 

19 minutes ago, Satchel said:

I’ve watched Bill forever and his hard on for religion has never bothered me, even as a person of faith. It’s his hypocrisy regarding who deserves to be the objects of his scorn is what I find off putting. 

You are free to share some clips of Bill being hypocritical, pushing poor narratives, or being poorly grounded.  The clips of Bill in this thread all appear fine.  IMO this seems like a situation where you are mad because your ingroup (progressives) is getting clowned. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, GW Hayduke said:

You are free to share some clips of Bill being hypocritical, pushing poor narratives, or being poorly grounded.  The clips of Bill in this thread all appear fine.  IMO this seems like a situation where you are mad because your ingroup (progressives) is getting clowned. 

I’m pissed because he’s joined the chorus of right wingers who revel in co opting progressives themes and making them their own. Bill’s a hit on Tiger Droppings, as well he should be.

Just now, Satchel said:

I’m pissed because he’s joined the chorus of right wingers who revel in co opting progressives themes and making them their own. Bill’s a hit on Tiger Droppings, as well he should be.

I get it. However, progressives aren’t immune to ridicule. When aspects of any group get too extreme, absurd, or hypocritical, it is more than appropriate to ridicule. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, GW Hayduke said:

I get it. However, progressives aren’t immune to ridicule. When aspects of any group get too extreme, absurd, or hypocritical, it is more than appropriate to ridicule. 

Just now, GW Hayduke said:

I

1 minute ago, GW Hayduke said:

I agree, which makes Bill’s belief that Trump supporters should not be ridiculed all the more befuddling

12 minutes ago, GW Hayduke said:

I don’t have any problems with him using satire to get his message across.  When it’s done well, it’s cutting and is, more often than not, the smart way to ridicule.

When he just gets all puffed up in what is supposed to be a panel debate and rages at younger generations that are not actually the monolith he appears to believe they are, it’s dumb and does little to advance the debate.

As long as HBO doesn’t cancel his show (or him) before his contract runs out, he’s going to hang around.  The fact that the mouth breathers at Tiger Droppings have become fans of his is less about Maher and more about them being dumbasses.

Edited by SizzleChest
  • Hook 'Em 1

No. I watched that episode. He’s all over the place. He just reminded his guests not to ridicule Trumpkins on his most recent show. 
We should not lose sight of the fact that Bill whines about wokeness on a weekly basis while using the flimsiest of examples to smear “Democrats” because he’s “not a fan.” That makes him a whiny little bitch in my book.

• 7 months later...

The last few monologues I saw were very much Andy Rooney complaining about a bad sandwich or something. That doesn't take away that his New Rules book and Religulous were very funny. One thing I've always appreciated about him is that he is hard on all religions.

That's a pretty good article btw. Pretty spot on with what people have started to sense in him.

Edited by 'stache
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

In a state so obsessed with making money I really don’t understand why Texas is dragging their dicks on weed. 

Same reason we don't allow gambling or liquor on Sundays.  Because y'all didn't pray enough in school growing up.  Now we have to redeem your sins. 

• 11 months later...
1 hour ago, Red Five said:

I haven't watched but I just saw that two of Bill's three guests last night were Nancy Mace and Bill Fucking Barr. 

I didn’t watch the whole interview but from what I did see Barr is still lying about the Mueller report. Maher called him out about how Mueller specifically reported that he couldn’t say Trump didn’t obstruct justice (nice phrasing, Bob) when Barr said there was no obstruction. Barr said that was his conclusion. He also repeated the deception that Mueller found no collusion when the truth is that’s not a legal term and not something that could be found. Mueller didn’t feel he had evidence to convict on conspiracy in a trial and I think there’s no question Trump’s successful obstruction played a role in that.

That’s why a criminal charge shouldn’t be a prerequisite for charging someone with obstruction of justice. If that were the case then obstruction of justice would only be wrong when it fails. If it’s successful and, say, Trump convinces Mueller in his written testimony that he didn’t know in advance about the meeting in Trump Tower between his son, his son-in-law, and his fucking CAMPAIGN MANAGER and representatives of the Russian government promising to provide him with dirt on his opponent, then that’s just fine and dandy and not him coordinating with a foreign government to win an election. Never mind the fact that he telegraphed at a campaign rally a few days before the meeting that he was going to be releasing some major dirt on Hillary soon after the meeting was to take place. Nothing to see there. That was all just a big coincidence. Sort of like how Wikileaks knew to release the first batch of Russian-hacked emails from the Clinton campaign 30 minutes after the Access Hollywood “grab ‘em by the pussy” tape came out. Or how his campaign manager was sharing internal polling data with Russian intelligence but that had nothing to do with Russian targeted ad campaigns on Facebook and phony Twitter accounts. Nope, more coincidences.

Barr’s a fucking traitor who should hang. Let him drop far enough so his neck snaps quickly and he dies painlessly since he at least didn’t go along with Trump’s coup attempt. He deserves that much consideration. But he should still be dangling at the end of a rope for betraying his oath and protecting both a traitorous President and a hostile foreign government that attacked our democracy. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

Maher is gradually going the way of Taibbi and Weiss. The transition will be complete by the 2024 election. Last night, all three guests were right-leaning. I did agree with a thing or two that each of them said. However, I know Barr didn't really mean it when he said "live and let live." He was just pandering.

9 minutes ago, Burt said:

Maher is gradually going the way of Taibbi and Weiss. The transition will be complete by the 2024 election. Last night, all three guests were right-leaning. I did agree with a thing or two that each of them said. However, I know Barr didn't really mean it when he said "live and let live." He was just pandering.

Barr has a book out and he's continuing his rehab tour.

At some point, he's going to die and he clearly cares about his legacy.  Total self-serving sack of shit, and will continue to rehab his image until he kicks.  Like Henry Kissinger.

Maher - meh, the dude's a centrist, although he claims he's a classic liberal.  When your best pals are Eddie Vedder, Woody Harrelson, and Sean Penn, it all seems like obfuscation.

21 minutes ago, ChuckNorrisActionJeans said:

I've always just found him to be a shallow contrarian and a misogynist. He sucks ass.

Watching him and Weiss rail about the myth of toxic masculinity on a previous episode was a step closer to embracing Madison Cawthorn’s view that we should raise our boys to be “monsters.” What is it with these old “liberals” who become right wingers when other liberals disagree with them?

16 minutes ago, Satchel said:

Watching him and Weiss rail about the myth of toxic masculinity on a previous episode was a step closer to embracing Madison Cawthorn’s view that we should raise our boys to be “monsters.” What is it with these old “liberals” who become right wingers when other liberals disagree with them?

They never really believed in anything.  They don't have a foundation of what's right and wrong at their core so they're easily manipulated. 

He's not a deep thinker and contrary to what he believes he's not smartest person in every room he walks into.

I've never been much of a fan but I don't really see any point in paying attention to him. 

He doesn't add anything to the greater conversation. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Red Five said:

He treated Barr with kid gloves, bitched about the woke left for half an hour, and then blamed George Santos on democrats.

Well all of that just seems dumb.  I'm glad I don't watch anymore.  

19 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I case you’re curious. Watch it before it gets pulled.

Already gone

16 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

They never really believed in anything.  They don't have a foundation of what's right and wrong at their core so they're easily manipulated. 

He's not a deep thinker and contrary to what he believes he's not smartest person in every room he walks into.

I've never been much of a fan but I don't really see any point in paying attention to him. 

He doesn't add anything to the greater conversation. 

I do think he used to.  What originally drew me to him was his criticism of religion, which I still think is pretty much spot on.  But yeah, basically since the end of the dotard's term, he's been pretty bad.  Probably before that, but definitely that was when I couldn't handle him anymore.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

I do think he used to.  What originally drew me to him was his criticism of religion, which I still think is pretty much spot on.  But yeah, basically since the end of the dotard's term, he's been pretty bad.  Probably before that, but definitely that was when I couldn't handle him anymore.

He’s always been pretty mediocre in that area.

3 minutes ago, Burt said:

I'd rather nail my sack to smoldering charcoal than watch that peckerwood.  Rightwing "comedy" is a fucking beating.

well it just so happens that I've had a smoldering coal burn my sack so maybe I'm slightly immune hahahaha who am i kidding gutfeld is terrible

but i would still rather watch gutfeld over maher