The Expanse (Amazon Prime)

MillerEP

10 minutes ago, UT_OB1 said:

Much sooner than expected. 

How come?

Every Amazon season so far has aired in early December.  Season 4: December 12, 2019; Season 5: December 15, 2020.  With it being a shorter season, 10 months between season 5 ending and season 6 makes perfect sense. 

A year between seasons is normal.  The only gap longer than a year for this show was when it was cancelled by SyFy and picked up by Amazon (18 months).  Even when it was on SyFy, it was almost exactly a year between season 1/2 and 2/3. 

Edited by Js1

5 minutes ago, Js1 said:

How come?

Every Amazon season so far has aired in early December.  Season 4: December 12, 2019; Season 5: December 15, 2020.  With it being a shorter season, 10 months between season 5 ending and season 6 makes perfect sense. 

A year between seasons is normal.  The only gap longer than a year for this show was when it was cancelled by SyFy and picked up by Amazon (18 months).  Even when it was on SyFy, it was almost exactly a year between season 1/2 and 2/3. 

Honestly I expected a longer wait with all the delays last year caused. Not specific just to expanse. 

4 hours ago, Captainant said:

There's a shitload to cover in only six episodes... 

I think Babylon's Ashes can be covered in 6 episodes - you basically remove Alex's parts (not much) and they already gave us Fred's death in season 5, so that's out. 

With the time jump for books 7-9, I think they keep it on the table for future series/movies.

Last book drops on November 16. 

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, UT_OB1 said:

Do the aliens and the ring play in to this very much?  Other than fighting for the ring, it feels like they need to focus on the human-human conflict, and I feel like they will end the series with a lot of questions around the aliens 

I'm not sure what you're referring to. The entire thing is basically about human-human conflict, whether that be the Martians vs Earth vs OPA...and the OPA vs Free Navy vs Pirate Belters. The protomolecule is mostly just a story device to drive the human conflict more. Since this is the final season and there are a couple more books they won't get to, I imagine they'll end it with a few lingering questions, but for the most part they'll end it with the current arc. (I don't want to give anymore information than that to avoid spoiling anything)

Episode 1-5 synopses and run times. None are longer than 48 min. The series finale is supposed to be 65 min

Spoiler

Season 6 titles & synopses

Episode 1 - Strange Dogs (46 min, airs Dec 10)

>The tensions of war threaten to pull the Rocinante crew apart when they make a startling discovery on an asteroid. Avasarala and Bobbie contend with the devastration on Earth as Marco's rocks continue to rain down. In the Belt and on the run, Drummer and her family must make a heartbreaking decision. On Ceres, Marco and Filip's struggles turn inward.

Episode 2 - Azure Dragon (44 min, airs Dec 17)

>With an unexpected passenger aboard the Rocinante, Holden and crew undertake a dangerous mission that could shift the balance of power in the war. Drummer decides to make an uneasy alliance. Filip wrestles with his guilt.

Episode 3 - Force Projection (43 min, airs Dec 24)

>Avasarala, with the Combined Fleet of Earth and Mars, takes the war to Marco. Filip and Marco's relationship is tested. The war becomes more perilous and personal for Holden and Naomi when the Rocinante is suddenly forced into a battle.

Episode 4 - Redoubt (47 min, airs Dec 31)

>Holden finds himself at odds with his crew when a controversial decision is uncovered. On Ceres, Avasarala struggles to contain an escalating humanitarian crisis. Drummer's growing faction stage a daring raid with dire stakes. Filip, demoted to repair skiff duty, makes an unexpected discovery.

Episode 5 - Why We Fight (48 min, airs Jan 7)

>Paths converge on Ceres when Drummer and her fleet arrive to aid the relief effort. Holden tries to convince Avasarala to release crucial information that might avert catastrophe, but she has her own request of him. As Amos and Bobbie get a little R&R at the station, Naomi has a difficult and long-awaited reunion.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Last season Naomi cried a lot. Amos did some cool stuff, but mostly naomi cried. 

Fillip was conflicted. Marcos had smokey eye. Holden Holdened. Avasarala drank whiskey. Bobbie was a bad ass. And Alex stroked out for asking some chicks to stroke him off. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 11/16/2021 at 6:05 PM, UT_OB1 said:

Do the aliens and the ring play in to this very much?  Other than fighting for the ring, it feels like they need to focus on the human-human conflict, and I feel like they will end the series with a lot of questions around the aliens 

The questions about the Aliens really ramp up in book 8.  

2 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

I hope Naomi isn’t going to be this bitchy all season. But it’s awesome to have the show back.

47 minutes ago, MissingInAction said:

Drummer makes my pants dance.

I want naomi to die. Would love to see one of her whining sessions cut short by getting spaced.

My god the TV show ruined her character so much 

44 minutes ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

How different are the books from the show? 

Broad strokes/outline are there, but the journey is a bit different. 

For example: Fred Johnson dies in both the books and the show, but the way he dies is different in the show and books. 

Also, some characters get combined. Drummer and Bull, for example, although Bull was in last season with a completely different story  

The biggest deviation was Ashford. He was a grade A asshole in the books with no redeeming qualities. On the show they definitely redeemed him and gave him a whole new arc that wasn’t in the books at all  

Finally; Alex wasn’t a perv in the books so they didn’t kill him off in the middle of the books like the show did. 

Edited by hornian
  • Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, Js1 said:

The actor plays him well - he's so god damn charismatic, but so fucking evil. 

Really? I don't find him menacing at all nor particularly charismatic. He just doesn't strike me as a guy who can rally people around a cause. Maybe it's just me. The speeches he's given on the show just seem like a guy yelling out his lines.

• Hook 'Em 1