Meanwhile in China

RPM

1 hour ago, Orange&White said:

I read at least 2 articles a year that tell me that China will be the new world super power within a decade.

Then a read 50 articles a year like this.

Yep, and their big brother asses are gaining on us hand over foot with their crumbling bullshit while we all don’t notice because we’re too busy being greedy, fame worshiping myopics who consistently rage with each other over nonsense

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Doc Reeves said:

Yep, and their big brother asses are gaining on us hand over foot with their crumbling bullshit while we all don’t notice because we’re too busy being greedy, fame worshiping myopics who consistently rage with each other over nonsense

Why does it have to be big brother you cisgendered misogynistic heathen.

Now let me get back to the 11th season of real housewives while I wait on my Uber eats.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

54 minutes ago, Doc Reeves said:

Well at least here at Surly, we are self-aware. 

Still waiting for all their buildings to fall because of shitty Chinese construction.

This worries me.  The fact that the operator reached out to the US about a Chinese plant, knowing how that would go over with the Chinese government, tells me there is more to the story than meets the eye.  And whether there is a serious issue or not, the US isn't going to publicly acknowledge anything is wrong at this point.

• Hook 'Em 1

"It also warned that the Chinese safety authority was raising the acceptable limits for radiation detection outside the plant to prevent it from being shut down."

So they are still....now, within acceptable limits.  Yesterday would have been a problem, but the Chinese have fixed the issue.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-57474384

10 minutes ago, ABSR said:

"It also warned that the Chinese safety authority was raising the acceptable limits for radiation detection outside the plant to prevent it from being shut down."

So they are still....now, within acceptable limits.  Yesterday would have been a problem, but the Chinese have fixed the issue.

Wife: Yesterday, the sex was great, but I'm going to have to raise the acceptable size limit going forward.

Hubby: 

austinpowerspump.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Orange&White said:

I read at least 2 articles a year that tell me that China will be the new world super power within a decade.

Then a read 50 articles a year like this.

Apparently, they can't build escalators or elevators correctly, so I'm not worried.

• Hook 'Em 1

BEIJING (AP) — A Chinese nuclear power plant near Hong Kong had five broken fuel rods in a reactor but no radioactivity leaked, the government said Wednesday in its first confirmation of the incident that prompted concern over the facility’s safety.

Radiation rose inside the No. 1 reactor of the Taishan Nuclear Power Plant in Guangdong province but was contained by barriers that functioned as planned, the Ministry of Ecology and Environment said on its social media account.

The Hong Kong government said it was watching the plant and asking officials in Guangdong for details after its French co-owner on Monday reported increased “noble gases” in the reactor. Experts said that suggested fuel rods broke and leaked radioactive gas produced during nuclear fission.

Noble gases such as xenon and krypton are byproducts of fission along with particles of cesium, strontium and other radioactive elements.

Radiation rose inside the No. 1 reactor of the Taishan Nuclear Power Plant in Guangdong province but was contained by barriers that functioned as planned, the Ministry of Ecology and Environment said on its social media account.

The Hong Kong government said it was watching the plant and asking officials in Guangdong for details after its French co-owner on Monday reported increased “noble gases” in the reactor. Experts said that suggested fuel rods broke and leaked radioactive gas produced during nuclear fission.

Noble gases such as xenon and krypton are byproducts of fission along with particles of cesium, strontium and other radioactive elements.

China has 50 operable reactors and is building 18 more, according to the World Nuclear Association, an industry group. China has constructed reactors based on French, U.S., Russian and Canadian technology. State-owned companies also have developed their own reactor, the Hualong One, and are marketing it abroad.

On 6/14/2021 at 4:55 PM, ABSR said:

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, RPM said:

BEIJING (AP) — A Chinese nuclear power plant near Hong Kong had five broken fuel rods in a reactor but no radioactivity leaked, the government said Wednesday in its first confirmation of the incident that prompted concern over the facility’s safety.

China has 50 operable reactors and is building 18 more, according to the World Nuclear Association, an industry group. China has constructed reactors based on French, U.S., Russian and Canadian technology. State-owned companies also have developed their own reactor, the Hualong One, and are marketing it abroad.

Ahhhh....so the rods are close to melting down with a run away reaction as the valves carrying water to the containment pool have frozen shut.  

Those Chinese sure have a way of making me feel so much better about a situation.

5 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Ahhhh....so the rods are close to melting down with a run away reaction as the valves carrying water to the containment pool have frozen shut.

No. The biggest issue is fission products in the coolant raises the surrounding radiation levels. It's a serious issue, but not in anyway a meltdown.

On 6/14/2021 at 9:44 AM, Doc Reeves said:

I'm not myopic.

18 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

You obviously don't speak Chinese double talk.  I clearly heard meltdown imminent.

I don't trust the Chinese at all, but a fuel element failure would be a significant issue and fit the "rising radiation levels" news from earlier.

1 minute ago, Schulz2.0 said:

I don't trust the Chinese at all, but a fuel element failure would be a significant issue and fit the "rising radiation levels" news from earlier.

What are you a friggin' nuclear engineer ?!  Give me my world wide catastrophe fantasies.....

2 minutes ago, Willfully Horn said:

Unless I have forgotten some, this makes three nuclear plant failures in the last fifty years. The Japanese reactor is still venting radioactivity into the ocean, right?

Its tough to take ‘nuclear energy is the cleanest energy’ talk seriously.

Nuclear plants are pretty far behind nuclear technology. I'm a big fan of nuclear technology.

On 6/14/2021 at 2:55 PM, ABSR said:

I found a picture of the recalibrated geiger counter they're using.

image.png.f6bb45f630bcb017baccea3c4bd19052.png