Meanwhile in China

RPM

57 minutes ago, Willfully Horn said:

Unless I have forgotten some, this makes three nuclear plant failures in the last fifty years. The Japanese reactor is still venting radioactivity into the ocean, right?

Its tough to take ‘nuclear energy is the cleanest energy’ talk seriously.

Especially if you have very little idea of what you're talking about and get your information from people that also have very little idea of what they're talking about or have an agenda to push. 

Chernobyl - Terribly flawed design. The Soviets knew of the issues. They failed to fix the design flaws and covered up previous incidents that could have prevented the meltdown had they actually informed and trained the operators of the same reactor design. Then there was the whole lack of a safety culture.

Fukushima - Fourth largest earthquake in recorded history along with a large tsunami. The biggest issue was Fukushima having too low of a seawall along with not having backup generators not in elevated positions. There were other reactors in similar locations that went through the same earthquake and tsunami height that were unscathed. 

They are discharging radioactive water into the ocean. The key point is the level of radioactivity. Its very low. It gets further diluted in the ocean. I'll wait until you find out bananas are radioactive due to potassium-40 (the horror!).

China - If it actually is a fuel element failure then it's pretty much a big can of who fucking cares. It's costly to clean up. Some workers will get a little more radiation exposure. In the grand scheme of things it's pretty inconsequential.

• Hook 'Em 4

^^^^I know of a guy who’s a rock hound. Spent all day digging a hole out near Lake Buchanan and ended up with radiation burns on his body. I know radiation is a part of the natural world.

The three incidents you mention make me question the old saw of ‘cleanest energy.’ It’s awesome in theory. Then folks build reactors on fault lines, or within reach of a tsunami. Or they build poorly.

History has beggared the talking point.

Edited by Willfully Horn
^^^

9 minutes ago, Willfully Horn said:

I know of a guy who’s a rock hound. Spent all day digging a hole out near Lake Buchanan and ended up with radiation burns on his body. I know radiation is a part of the natural world.

I have to be skeptical of this. The radiation levels to cause acute burns are very high, and not at all consistent with anything natural in the ground. If he really got radiation burns, then he was digging around some illegally disposed of highly radioactive something-or-other.

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, pantone159 said:

I have to be skeptical of this. The radiation levels to cause acute burns are very high, and not at all consistent with anything natural in the ground. If he really got radiation burns, then he was digging around some illegally disposed of highly radioactive something-or-other.

Prolly was just sunburned.  But I may use this excuse the next time my wife wants me to dig post holes.

• Haha 3

19 minutes ago, pantone159 said:

I know of this guy. But I don’t know him. The Lake Buchanan area is a rare earth zone. I wasn’t as skeptical when I first heard the story.

10 minutes ago, Willfully Horn said:

I know of this guy. But I don’t know him. The Lake Buchanan area is a rare earth zone. I wasn’t as skeptical when I first heard the story.

Here’s a story regarding what you’re talking about.  I had read it before but forgotten about it.

https://www.texascooppower.com/texas-stories/history/all-that-glitters-is-sometimes-yttrium

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Here’s a story regarding what you’re talking about.  I had read it before but forgotten about it.

https://www.texascooppower.com/texas-stories/history/all-that-glitters-is-sometimes-yttrium

That was an interesting article. Had never heard anything about that. Thanks for posting. 

1 hour ago, Willfully Horn said:

^^^^I know of a guy who’s a rock hound. Spent all day digging a hole out near Lake Buchanan and ended up with radiation burns on his body. I know radiation is a part of the natural world.

The three incidents you mention make me question the old saw of ‘cleanest energy.’ It’s awesome in theory. Then folks build reactors on fault lines, or within reach of a tsunami. Or they build poorly.

That sounds more like alien abduction, and anal probing.

2 hours ago, Schulz2.0 said:

They are discharging radioactive water into the ocean. The key point is the level of radioactivity. Its very low. It gets further diluted in the ocean. I'll wait until you find out bananas are radioactive due to potassium-40 (the horror!).

Does this mean that King Kong is real?

5 hours ago, Willfully Horn said:

The Soviets were pretty much shit at everything. I'm not sure how that is a reflection on the nuclear industry. Again, there were other nuclear plants in Japan that were subjected to the same earthquake and tsunami that survived with no issues. 

You regulate the industry and hold it to certain standards. You take lessons learned from previous incidents to train operators and upgrade safety systems. The new generation of reactors are much safer than the first generation reactors made in the 50s and 60s.

• Hook 'Em 3

14 hours ago, Schulz2.0 said:

Especially if you have very little idea of what you're talking about and get your information from people that also have very little idea of what they're talking about or have an agenda to push. 

Chernobyl - Terribly flawed design. The Soviets knew of the issues. They failed to fix the design flaws and covered up previous incidents that could have prevented the meltdown had they actually informed and trained the operators of the same reactor design. Then there was the whole lack of a safety culture.

Fukushima - Fourth largest earthquake in recorded history along with a large tsunami. The biggest issue was Fukushima having too low of a seawall along with not having backup generators not in elevated positions. There were other reactors in similar locations that went through the same earthquake and tsunami height that were unscathed. 

China - If it actually is a fuel element failure then it's pretty much a big can of who fucking cares. It's costly to clean up. Some workers will get a little more radiation exposure. In the grand scheme of things it's pretty inconsequential.

I strongly support using nuclear power, but what about Three Mile Island?

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, KYHorn said:

I strongly support using nuclear power, but what about Three Mile Island?

The time operators fucked up and the safety systems on the reactor worked? The amount of radiation released to the environment was about the equivalent of what a person gets from background radiation in a couple days.

• Hook 'Em 2

• 1 year later...
My understanding is that with all his recent purging, there’s no one to challenge Xi’s power. This is going nowhere fast. I really hope I’m wrong. 

You’re not. Xi eliminated all rivals. This step - unrest, and squashing it brutally - is an anticipated and necessary step in demonstrating and consolidating his power. He smokes out any possible rivals that he may have missed, and he crushes any impulses the people may have to resist.
  • Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

You’re not. Xi eliminated all rivals. This step - unrest, and squashing it brutally - is an anticipated and necessary step in demonstrating and consolidating his power. He smokes out any possible rivals that he may have missed, and he crushes any impulses the people may have to resist.

The failure of their culture and country will ultimately be blamed on the people, not the government.  Just like here.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PRONG HORN said:

The failure of their culture and country will ultimately be blamed on the people, not the government.  Just like here.

Their government was never the issue.  Through our 5000 year of culture.  You think 70 years of Communism means a thing?.  The rich rule.  Every thing runs through Shanghai.  China won't fall.  Xi holds some weird cards right now 

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

Except the consolidation of power shouldn't take as long as it has for Pooh Bear. It usually only takes a couple of years; he's had ten.

3 minutes ago, FartingMonk said:

Their government was never the issue.  Through our 5000 year of culture.  You think 70 years of Communism means a thing?.  The rich rule.  Every thing runs through Shanghai.  China won't fall.  Xi holds some weird cards right now 

I do not think he falls either. But massive strikes are a concern. 

A second issue is could he try some external shit to refocus the population? 

22 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Not Taiwan but maybe he'll capture another island in the Philippines.

13 minutes ago, Bevo said:

That won't do that much. He needs a nationalistic moment. 

Also, concerning COVID I think it is about control and not spread. They built massive camps and now get to use them whenever they want. 

• Hook 'Em 1

49 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

25 minutes ago, Bevo said:

I don’t see the people getting enthused about some little island, or even Taiwan, to the extent Putin was able to get some riled up about Ukraine.

4 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Great time to take Siberia. I kid, but I would be nervous if I was Taiwan and India. 

I think this Peters out with a lot of Chinese being relocated. 

The only thing is I think it's the awakening of the Chinese.  They dealt with Hong Kong and I guess we can refer to it as the "bad child" policy but a lot of mainland China had the attitude of not us and why didn't they just listen.  If they would have complied then nothing would have happened

Now it's in their backyard it's a much bigger picture to ignore. But it starts and ends with Shanghai 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, FartingMonk said:

I think there is something really weird going on in China that I don't think anyone understands.  Like zombie shit weird.  Why would you lock down your entire country still when the rest of the world has figured out how to deal with COVID 

Because their vaccine doesn’t work for shit and they can’t use those developed in the West because that would be like admitting they’re inferior.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

Also, concerning COVID I think it is about control and not spread. They built massive camps and now get to use them whenever they want. 

It's absolutely about control.  It's a very convenient excuse to tighten restrictions on various populations whenever the central government feels like it.  

• Hook 'Em 2

14 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Unfortunately, the protesters don’t. 

Exactly.  Chad Jr.'s soccer coach is a chem professor who made it out after Tiananmen.  He said all the expats are rooting from the sidelines, but he was not optimistic.  He says that community is so traumatized that they are very careful even about how they interact with people in the US, for fear that it could affect family in China.  I can only imagine the pressure in the country.  Add to that Covid restrictions and that's a pressure cooking waiting to go off.

5 minutes ago, texasdago said:

Clearly our tracking chips were superior that we've avoided lockdowns.  

Have you SEEN the new iPhones?