Meanwhile in China

RPM

26 minutes ago, FartingMonk said:

Just watching these protests.  It's not gonna end well for the citizens.  They are going to go in and just stomp the citizens to a pulp.  It's a tried and true formula that has worked for China before and there is no reason why it's not going to work again

Just like we’ve seen all over the world…but man how brave these people truly are. It can’t be said enough. They are brave. ❤️

• Rage+1 1

Top of the AP News site

image.thumb.png.5f2953642e00e094ec3f872f3518942a.png

https://apnews.com/article/health-china-arrests-beijing-xi-jinping-1596604782d165d268d1dbc137034749?utm_source=homepage&utm_medium=TopNews&utm_campaign=position_01

Article has it right, it's not about science, it's about control. The decay comes from the top down. Every level of government watching their own ass, and doing nothing for the people.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

I do not think he falls either. But massive strikes are a concern. 

A second issue is could he try some external shit to refocus the population? 

I thought China had the internet pretty tightly under wraps. Are you surprised by the amount of footage and therefore coverage that is getting out?

53 minutes ago, Superhero said:

Top of the AP News site

image.thumb.png.5f2953642e00e094ec3f872f3518942a.png

https://apnews.com/article/health-china-arrests-beijing-xi-jinping-1596604782d165d268d1dbc137034749?utm_source=homepage&utm_medium=TopNews&utm_campaign=position_01

Article has it right, it's not about science, it's about control. The decay comes from the top down. Every level of government watching their own ass, and doing nothing for the people.

I recently watched a movie in Mandarin that basically glorified the "watchers". The premise is the guy can slow down time enough to be able to see things his other CCTV monitor coworkers couldn't see.  I guess I wasn't surprised that they made it into propaganda to say the cameras were for their safety.

12 minutes ago, Hate said:

Like I’ve called it here before, we should have the “Manufacturing Monroe Doctrine”.

Believe me it is coming to Mexico. My company is selling large number of systems for manufacturing to Mexico. Also the only thing restricting them is hiring  new engineers and techs for said companies. 

Edited by Shaddie
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

I have zero faith that the CCP is facing any real challenge from the protestors. I bet the govt is good about moving their security forces around so that no one is fighting against their cousin.

And the CCP doesn't care if any Western company threatens to leave. Or at least not to date.  If Apple even mumbled something in support of protests, the CCP will happily show them the door. 

14 minutes ago, Parliament said:

Or a "Manufacturing Marshall Plan" for them.  Maybe just Central America.  Pull money from the defense budget and pay bribes or whatever it takes to get things done down there.  Make it happen.

Yep, exactly. Get Central America into the game. And no bribes are really needed. Just tell the asshats if they mess around they lose their apartments in Miami and Houston. 

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, Shaddie said:

Believe me it is coming to Mexico. My company is selling large number of systems for manufacturing to Mexico. Also the only thing restricting them is hiring  new engineers and techs for said companies. 

They should be recruiting heavily at ITESM in Monterrey.

C8E8888B-F332-48D7-9780-1226353A9EA8.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 4

8 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Man, y'all are singing my song.  Been pushing this idea for YEARS.  It's win-win-win.  We decouple from a dangerous trading partner who is an adversary.  We end up with trading partners much closer, and less likely to experience shipping disruptions.  We end up sending lots of capital and wages to neighboring countries, helping the to create a much bigger and healthier middle class.  And, by doing so, we sharply reduce the desire of people to flee those countries for the US (so, it's a great way to deal with our "immigration problem.")  Nothing but winning.  Sure, there are challenges, there will be corruption, etc.....tell me how that's WORSE than what we're facing in China?

iPhones should be manufactured in Honduras/Mexico/Guatemala. Same with Maytag washing machines, etc. etc.

I'd rep this 1000x if I could.

• Hook 'Em 3

12 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Man, y'all are singing my song.  Been pushing this idea for YEARS.  It's win-win-win.  We decouple from a dangerous trading partner who is an adversary.  We end up with trading partners much closer, and less likely to experience shipping disruptions.  We end up sending lots of capital and wages to neighboring countries, helping the to create a much bigger and healthier middle class.  And, by doing so, we sharply reduce the desire of people to flee those countries for the US (so, it's a great way to deal with our "immigration problem.")  Nothing but winning.  Sure, there are challenges, there will be corruption, etc.....tell me how that's WORSE than what we're facing in China?

iPhones should be manufactured in Honduras/Mexico/Guatemala. Same with Maytag washing machines, etc. etc.

Then we find out how much actual pollution and how shitty the conditions are in the manufacturing world.  We export manufacturing to Asia not because it's cheaper but it's easier to not give a shit about how it is being made.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, FartingMonk said:

Then we find out how much actual pollution and how shitty the conditions are in the manufacturing world.  We export manufacturing to Asia not because it's cheaper but it's easier to not give a shit about how it is being made.

This is also a fair point.  Factories that poison the water and air, and use abused slave labor....well, if they are ten thousand miles away, behind an internet-blocked totalitarian state, we just don't KNOW about those things.  So, we can use our iPhone guilt-free (brisketexan, guilty as charged).  If, on the other hand, we do that in Tegucigalpa, just a couple thousand miles away, it will be all over the news and our internet feeds.

My thought is that, as shit keeps going further south with China, the juice won't be worth the squeeze.  Even if you have to pay SLIGHTLY more in wages, and if you have to follow SOME modicum of environmental laws, it will still make good business sense.

Honestly, I think this is also a place where US gov't subsidies, in the name of national security and economic incentive and benefit for the US as a whole (imagine how much we save just on border control if we don't have 100,000 Central Americans fleeing north every month), could make some sense to get manufacturers over the "good business decision" hump.

• Hook 'Em 2

14 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

This is also a fair point.  Factories that poison the water and air, and use abused slave labor....well, if they are ten thousand miles away, behind an internet-blocked totalitarian state, we just don't KNOW about those things.  So, we can use our iPhone guilt-free (brisketexan, guilty as charged).  If, on the other hand, we do that in Tegucigalpa, just a couple thousand miles away, it will be all over the news and our internet feeds.

My thought is that, as shit keeps going further south with China, the juice won't be worth the squeeze.  Even if you have to pay SLIGHTLY more in wages, and if you have to follow SOME modicum of environmental laws, it will still make good business sense.

Honestly, I think this is also a place where US gov't subsidies, in the name of national security and economic incentive and benefit for the US as a whole (imagine how much we save just on border control if we don't have 100,000 Central Americans fleeing north every month), could make some sense to get manufacturers over the "good business decision" hump.

Also, China is heavily reliant on coal for producing electricity for their manufacturing. Move those plants to Mexico and Central America, and most if not all of them could burn US and Mexican Natural Gas and renewables. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, BachelorTrek said:

But, just like the 1989 tiananmen square Massacre, they'll end up brave and murdered.

Yep.

Was home for the summer in 89.  My corkboard in my room had two newspaper pages tacked to it when I left for the last time: 1) the cover page of Earl's epic Monday Night romp against the Dolphins, and 2) the photo of Tank Man during the Tiananmen square unrest.  I naively thought the people had a shot.  I was disabused of that notion.  Don't bet on the people vs. the Chinese iron fist.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, Shaddie said:

You wouldn't happen to be in the business of reactive extrusion of specialty polymers would you? Because I wouldn't mind relocating to Queretaro. 

Edited by NotActuallyALonghorn

5 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

You wouldn't happen to be in the business of reactive extrusion of specialty polymers would you? Because I wouldn't mind relocating to Queretaro. 

Since I don’t even know what that is, pretty sure I’m not in that biz. I’m in AOI and SPI.

19 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Isn't that what NAFTA was supposed to encourage?

43 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

Isn't that what NAFTA was supposed to encourage?

I think back then China was cheaper and easier to bribe.  Early 90s Mexico you probably get half of your supplies stolen after you bribed them.  China was looking for investment as long as you turned a blind eye to slave labor and your stuff would get there.

22 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

And the CCP doesn't care if any Western company threatens to leave. Or at least not to date.  If Apple even mumbled something in support of protests, the CCP will happily show them the door. 

Why is that?

44 minutes ago, gurt said:

Why is that?

Why doesn't the CCP care? Obviously they prefer that foreign companies bring money and jobs into China but not at the expense of any criticism of the CCP or its policies.

Think about the NBA. It's hugely popular in China. Perhaps there are more basketball fans there then in any country. (easy to say for many things related to China.) When the Rockets' GM made a comment about Hong Kong freedoms, the CCP was willing and did cut off the NBA.

If Tim Cook made an indirect, anti-CCP comment, Apple products would not be made there. The govt doesn't care if that harms the economy and puts people out of work. The security of the govt is always top priority. It's not a society that allows any questioning of the govt. In their view, unmet questions or protests will ultimately lead to the downfall of the CCP.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, staboner said:

good vid from our homie zeihan. more of the same here from him on end of China narrative, but more modern update with comments on what could happen next during/after protests

Wow, that ending.  I had no idea they had higher cases of diabetes and that their health care system was that bad.  Hold on to your butts, and let's get production out of that shit hole. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 4 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, Gatorubet said:

Did I hear right that China never vaccinated its population against omicron - just forever lockdown and masks? 

yep, and then they protested and the government said fuck it, selling Apple components was important. 

Now Italy is saying 50% of passengers on a flight tested Positive and we are going to require negative tests for US Travel. 

This shit ain't over.