2021 College World Series Thread

TrashMaster G

5 hours ago, chase25 said:

Yeah I’m going to have to disagree on Vanderbilt having no one close to Quintanilla or Nixon. They have 3 guys in their pen with 20+ innings and sub 3 ERAs. Highest batting avg against the 3 is .203.

Only weakness for them is they don’t have a 3rd starter which is a mute point if they start 2-0. If they lose one of the first 2 they could be in trouble but the same could be said for any team that loses one of their first 2 because you are now going to have to play 5 games so somebody is going to have to step up (I.e. Chad Hollingsworth)

Their offense can be hit or miss at times too. 

Their bullpen is good. It’s not ours. 
And if you think we don’t have a major advantage by having that 3rd starter (who’s actually better than our other 2) just because they start off playing  every other day, having this discussion with you isn’t worth it. And, having Arizona is a major difficulty relative to having Miss St or Tenn. 
Also, moot. 

*moo point
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

Man, I'm excited to get this thing started.  Last summer was brutal without the CWS.

This has been one my favorite summer things since the early 80's.  My first memory of the CWS was watching Texas play Miami for the national championship.  Want to say that was '82.  

I grew up in the metroplex, till junior high anyway, and had been to a lot of Rangers games as a kid but was never a big fan of baseball till the CWS on ESPN came into my life, and then I was hooked.

As a result, spent many, many weekends sitting on a van outside the left field wall at the Disch with my Longhorn buddies watching the Aggies play Texas, before/during/and after college, and I miss the absolute hell out of that, even though y'all badly need a grass field.

Best of luck in the series and Happy Father's Day.

Edited by Augustus
  • Hook 'Em 3

4 hours ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Their bullpen is good. It’s not ours. 

And if you think we don’t have a major advantage by having that 3rd starter (who’s actually better than our other 2) just because they start off playing  every other day, having this discussion with you isn’t worth it. And, having Arizona is a major difficulty relative to having Miss St or Tenn. 

Also, moot. 

I didn’t say having Pete wasn’t an advantage as I agree they don’t have a 3rd starter. Once again you take something that wasn’t meant to be a total disagreement, just a difference in opinion on their bullpen as you put “Vandy doesn’t have anyone close to Hansen, Quintanilla or Nixon. “. I like our chances against anybody as I have stated I think we are the deepest team in Omaha but if you think Vanderbilt’s bullpen isn’t anywhere close to ours you are just delusional and haven’t watched them at all this year. Feel free to keep making a mountain out of a molehill as you love to do.

Auto correct has gotten the best of us all, always knew your chub got a rise correcting grammar on a fan forum.

Edited by chase25
  • Hook 'Em 1

Informative summary by Rogers and Fitt.

Should note that Chris Burke stated on SECN that Arizona's offensive numbers may be inflated due to the elevation in Arizona.   Claimed that was the case when he played for the Diamondbacks.    #SEC homer

42 minutes ago, Augustus said:

Man, I'm excited to get this thing started.  Last summer was brutal without the CWS.

This has been one my favorite summer things since the early 80's.  My first memory of the CWS was watching Texas play Miami for the national championship.  Want to say that was '82.  

I grew up in the metroplex, till junior high anyway, and had been to a lot of Rangers games as a kid but was never a big fan of baseball till the CWS on ESPN came into my life, and then I was hooked.

As a result, spent many, many weekends sitting on a van outside the left field wall at the Disch with my Longhorn buddies watching the Aggies play Texas, before/during/and after college, and I miss the absolute hell out of that, even though y'all badly need a grass field.

Best of luck in the series and Happy Father's Day.

It's a beautiful morning, ah
I think I'll go outside for a while
And just smile
Just take in some clean fresh air, boy
No sense in staying inside
If the weather's fine and you've got the time
It's your chance to wake up and plan another brand new day
Either way....it’s ok!

• Hook 'Em 1

Chris Burke stated on SECN that Arizona's offensive numbers may be inflated due to the elevation in Arizona

Elevation in Tempe is 1,140–1,495'.   I would think the very dry climate would affect the ball more than the elevation. 

Texas & Vanderbilt have the best pitching. Texas's 2.89 ERA (1st) was almost half a run better that Vanderbilt's 3.37 (6th), and was the only ERA in baseball below 3.00.

Texas (3.71), Arizona (3.33), & Vanderbilt (3.30) outscored their opponents by more tha 3 runs/game, (MSU 2.59).

I focus more on pitching, as hitting is heavily influenced by the individual ballparks. IIRC, any ball hit at Disch-Falk within 10 feet of the warning track would be a home run at Tennessee.

We learned a long time ago you need a deep staff to win the CWS. You can get there with less, but without a 3rd starter and bullpen, your going to have to score a bunch of runs to win. Every team has 1 good starter, who can beat your ace on any given day; if its the 1st game, that's a bitch.

Hook 'Em!

• Hook 'Em 2

19 minutes ago, chase25 said:

I didn’t say having Pete wasn’t an advantage as I agree they don’t have a 3rd starter. Once again you take something that wasn’t meant to be a total disagreement, just a difference in opinion on their bullpen as you put “Vandy doesn’t have anyone close to Hansen, Quintanilla or Nixon. “. I like our chances against anybody as I have stated I think we are the deepest team in Omaha but if you think Vanderbilt’s bullpen isn’t anywhere close to ours you are just delusional and haven’t watched them at all this year. Feel free to keep making a mountain out of a molehill as you love to do.

Auto correct has gotten the best of us all, always knew your chub got a rise correcting grammar on a fan forum.

Auto correct is a bitch. But yeah, our bullpen is a tad bit sketchy. Witt, Qunintanilla and Nixon are really solid  but we’ll probably need Lucas Gordon or someone like that to step up. Unless our starters do what they did in the regionals. Which they will.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

UA is in Tucson, chief.  Elevation = 2400.

We drive down there quite a bit (from Scottsdale) and when we're not staying in Summerhaven up on the mountain top, we stay in the Catalina foothills near the base, and I'm always surprised how easily I can tell the difference in elevation.  I wouldn't have thought a 1000 feet or so would be really noticeable, but it is.

25 minutes ago, torre said:

Should note that Chris Burke stated on SECN that Arizona's offensive numbers may be inflated due to the elevation in Arizona. 

Hi Corbett field had a park factor of 95 from 2015-2018, so it actually depresses offense by 5%.  

Virginia's home park has a PF of 106.

http://www.boydsworld.com/data/pf2018.html

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

I don’t know you. The bullpen commentary isn’t what set me off. I’ll just concede you’re right and they’re close. The statement it doesn’t matter that they only have two top flight starters if they go 2-0 is so insanely stupid that I couldn’t let it go. 

I like how you’re blaming auto correct for mute versus moot. And like I’m the only one who calls out grammatical errors. We’re a pretty smart bunch and don’t like coming across as retards, so yeah, you can expect multiple people to jump you for that one. I wasn’t the first or last. 

It's a beautiful weekend.  Play nice with each other.

57 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

I don’t know you. The bullpen commentary isn’t what set me off. I’ll just concede you’re right and they’re close. The statement it doesn’t matter that they only have two top flight starters if they go 2-0 is so insanely stupid that I couldn’t let it go. 

I like how you’re blaming auto correct for mute versus moot. And like I’m the only one who calls out grammatical errors. We’re a pretty smart bunch and don’t like coming across as retards, so yeah, you can expect multiple people to jump you for that one. I wasn’t the first or last. 

It’s not stupid at all lol, it’s scheduling but I get that is probably above your head. Vanderbilt plays Saturday and Monday, if they win their first 2 games they wouldn’t play until Friday (6 days rest for Rocker). If they decided to throw their 3rd starter on Friday and lost, they could then throw Rocker on a full weeks rest on Saturday which is normal rest for a college staff during the regular season. So yes if Vanderbilt wins their first 2 games it is very much a MOOT point that they don’t have a 3rd starter. I’m trying not to be a dick here but you are making it difficult. 

Now let’s enjoy the CWS

1 hour ago, Fletch said:

Auto correct is a bitch. But yeah, our bullpen is a tad bit sketchy. Witt, Qunintanilla and Nixon are really solid  but we’ll probably need Lucas Gordon or someone like that to step up. Unless our starters do what they did in the regionals. Which they will.

Definitely, that is why Lucas got a lot of opportunities out of the pen, he is the only viable lefty we have in the pen

1 hour ago, torre said:

Should note that Chris Burke stated on SECN that Arizona's offensive numbers may be inflated due to the elevation in Arizona.   Claimed that was the case when he played for the Diamondbacks.   

A whopping 1085' elevation for Chase Field.  By comparison, the Barnyard at Arlington is at 560'.  They should move to 1100' south Weatherford to tap that huuuuuuuuuge topographic advantage....