Buying a New Vehicle in this environment

Royalfan5

Sounds like a Karen just moved into the neighborhood and is trying to flex her muscles. 

If I were you I would just lie and tell them it was approved 6 years ago. And when they inevitably ask you for proof, tell them to go find the approval. It isn't your fucking job to keep their records for them, and you assumed after 5 years it was safe to purge it from your file cabinet. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

On 12/30/2021 at 12:29 PM, Armybrat said:

Actually the joke is on me.

My HOA nazis sent me a sternly worded letter in late November that I had to submit an application to do landscaping changes like we did.

So I submitted an application a week later stating the work had been done in July of 2015. Three weeks ago I received an email that the “landscaping committee” had rejected my application to do that change. 
Of course they said I had a month to file an appeal, but will have to remove enough of the gravel and resod it with water guzzling grass to have 75% of the front yard (which includes side yards and the ivy covered beds) in greenery.

They didn’t complain when I made the change from dead St. Augustine 6 years ago to the water-conserving xeriscape. 
When we built the house 26 years ago I was aware that changes to the house structure had to be approved by the HOA “architectural committee”, but didn’t notice any fine print about landscaping changes - just to maintain a neat yard.

I wonder under Texas law, or within your agreement, there is anything about waiver of enforcement. Is there a statute of limitations? 

2 minutes ago, LW Goatman said:

I wonder under Texas law, or within your agreement, there is anything about waiver of enforcement. Is there a statute of limitations? 

Probably not, because I’ve read how the City of Austin has been going after owners of 60 year old homes that had really old unpermitted renovations/additions.

6 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Probably not, because I’ve read how the City of Austin has been going after owners of 60 year old homes that had really old unpermitted renovations/additions.

I could see that being a potential issue if it created a safety concern, like electrical, etc...but for a lawn maybe its different. 

On 12/9/2021 at 12:52 PM, LCHorn said:

Any first hand opinions on Toyota Tundras?  Reviews from the car websites are consistently mediocre but also ding Toyota for shitty gas mileage and absence of features like Appleplay that are low or non-existent on my needs list.

don't buy one built while the spurs are in the playoffs. 

• Haha 1

• 5 weeks later...

Anecdotal of course, but I think Ford is front-loading deliveries on Broncos to accommodate these bullshit dealer markups.

Why should any dealer on earth (e.g. Covert Hutto) have 3-4 unclaimed Sports on their lot at $8-$10k over MSRP when manufacturer still has thousands of individual buyers waiting 9+ months for arrivals?

If the intent is just to fuck people then why even take the solo orders in the first place? So they can tell a cool story to Wall Street about consumer demand?

In any event, it’s terrible business by Ford on all fronts…if dealers want to play those games then the manufacturer should be the one collecting those huge upcharges before even shipping to them…if dealer then want to pass that cost premium on to local buyers then fine, but they should not be allowed to buy at sticker price if they are all going to pull this shit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 12/9/2021 at 12:52 PM, LCHorn said:

Any first hand opinions on Toyota Tundras?  Reviews from the car websites are consistently mediocre but also ding Toyota for shitty gas mileage and absence of features like Appleplay that are low or non-existent on my needs list.

Late to reply, but I drive a 2017 Tundra SR5 Crewmax 4x4 with the 5.7 V8. It's easily the best truck I've ever owned. I bought it in 2018 with 30K miles on it and I've put a little over 60K on it. I've towed a boat from Austin to the gulf coast from Padre Island to New Orleans and all points in between more times than I can remember, and you can't even tell the boat is back there. Seating is comfortable but not fancy, and the tech package is long in the tooth, but like you said...it's got all that I need. I don't think I've ever used the in-dash GPS, just my phone with Bluetooth connection on google maps or waze. The only real pet peave  I've got with it is I wish the back up camera would stay on for 30 or so seconds after you put it in drive. Would make hooking up a trailer a lot easier. The center console is cavernous, and it's got more backseat legroom than my FIL's F250. 

So far I've done nothing but change fluids and filters on my shop's schedule. It's going to need a brake job soon, and I might do shocks when I do the brakes. It's got one power window motor is getting slow, which seems to be a known issue on the Toyota forums and is easy enough to fix.  

1 hour ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

Late to reply, but I drive a 2017 Tundra SR5 Crewmax 4x4 with the 5.7 V8. It's easily the best truck I've ever owned. I bought it in 2018 with 30K miles on it and I've put a little over 60K on it. I've towed a boat from Austin to the gulf coast from Padre Island to New Orleans and all points in between more times than I can remember, and you can't even tell the boat is back there. Seating is comfortable but not fancy, and the tech package is long in the tooth, but like you said...it's got all that I need. I don't think I've ever used the in-dash GPS, just my phone with Bluetooth connection on google maps or waze. The only real pet peave  I've got with it is I wish the back up camera would stay on for 30 or so seconds after you put it in drive. Would make hooking up a trailer a lot easier. The center console is cavernous, and it's got more backseat legroom than my FIL's F250. 

So far I've done nothing but change fluids and filters on my shop's schedule. It's going to need a brake job soon, and I might do shocks when I do the brakes. It's got one power window motor is getting slow, which seems to be a known issue on the Toyota forums and is easy enough to fix.  

Thanks!  Considering I’ve never had a vehicle with a back-up camera even a shitty one is going to seem like a huge advance in technology.  

I am getting to the point that I am just going to bite the pillow and take it in the ass and buy a truck off the lot. Ordered one through our long term dealership, because they gave me a great deal on my trade in and priced it at MSRP, but Ford keeps pushing the build date back. When I ordered they said should take 8-10 weeks for an f-150 and that's what ford scheduled it at first, but ford has just pushed it back further and further and now it's over 3 months out. The problem is the dealer I use has literally zero inventory and Ford sends them a hand full of trucks a month and only 1 or 2 is a XLT or Lariat. So I have talked to other dealers and all of them have inventory but they have "protection packages" that cost 3-5k over MSRP. Don't piss on me and tell me it's raining those aren't protection packages they are mark ups.

Edited by Not a Sock

On 1/3/2022 at 10:17 AM, Armybrat said:

Nah. That’s false. It’s 100% complaint driven. What’s actually happening is old people using code enforcement to settle grudges, both real and imagined. 

I’m not buying new, but I need a bit of a beater that can haul some shit around. I’d like a truck, but shit trucks with 200k miles seem to be going to 20k or more.

How do y’all go about vetting a used car you know has had issues?  For instance, I found a Ford Expedition for $10k( lin). I have a car that needs more work than it is worth, I don’t want a second. Should I ask if I can take it to a mechanic?  Or a Ford dealer?  I look forward to all the “ask your husband” replies.  

11 hours ago, UT_OB1 said:

I’m not buying new, but I need a bit of a beater that can haul some shit around. I’d like a truck, but shit trucks with 200k miles seem to be going to 20k or more.

How do y’all go about vetting a used car you know has had issues?  For instance, I found a Ford Expedition for $10k( lin). I have a car that needs more work than it is worth, I don’t want a second. Should I ask if I can take it to a mechanic?  Or a Ford dealer?  I look forward to all the “ask your husband” replies.  

Salvage title would make me walk away immediately. I fear you would end up in the "needs more work than it is worth" category sooner than you think again. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Alright, last time I bought a car was in 2014.  I need to upgrade to a SUV.  Looking at the X5, Cayenne, RX, the infiniti and Audi ones as well.  Should I expect to pay MSRP and/or above?  I don't need the car for another 7 or so months so I have time to shop and order one to be built if it's cheaper that way.  What's the best way for me to get one of these vehicles at the best price?  I always buy certified pre-owned where they are 1-2 years old with under 20k miles to get a better price point.  After looking at used car prices, I may as well buy a brand new one.  I really want the Cayenne but it's right at the top of my budget and I'd rather go for the better priced car.  Looking at the X5 and leaning towards it.  Anyone care to share their experience with the X5?  Any problems with it?  Reliable?  

We also plan on trading one of our cars in.  It's a 2016 Merc CLA 250 with about 70k miles on it.   I've never traded a car in.  What's the best way to get the best value back? The car is in decent condition outside of a little scratch on the bumper that is easily fixable.  Is expecting 10k trade in value unrealistic or is that too low?  I just don't want to get ripped off when I start this buying process.

13 minutes ago, victory88 said:

Should I expect to pay MSRP and/or above?

Sales guy when you say you'll give him $500 over invoice but that's it:

shaq-lmao.gif

Put directly, this is one of the worst times probably in history to buy a car. People are paying on average $1,200 over invoice and that's for cheaper cars. More expensive ones are $5,000 sometimes. And that doesn't even include the suckers who pay $10,000 over invoice.

If you can wait maybe till summer or after the market might normalize as chip shortages catch up. If not, at least you'll have the satisfaction of knowing that your gross overpayment was not out of your ignorance but out of the market conditions.

From Kelley Blue Book:

https://www.kbb.com/car-advice/buy-car-chip-shortage/

The only silver lining is that if your used car is in good shape they might give you a lot more for it, but trade-ins are always negotiated elements to help the sale, not really in exchange of your car's real value.

Edited by phdhorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

@phdhorn  thanks for the response.  I can definitely wait till summer.  I just need it before September.  My BiL told me he had a 10 month wait to get his car so I just want to make sure I don't get myself in a situation where I'm waiting past September.  You're right though, fuck paying 5-10k over invoice.  I'll wait it out...

16 minutes ago, victory88 said:

@phdhorn  thanks for the response.  I can definitely wait till summer.  I just need it before September.  My BiL told me he had a 10 month wait to get his car so I just want to make sure I don't get myself in a situation where I'm waiting past September.  You're right though, fuck paying 5-10k over invoice.  I'll wait it out...

No prob.  Don't want to give the impression though that you shouldn't keep hunting/surfing now... you might find dealers wanting to give away older tech cars, even if new, anticipating the uptick in inventory with newer chips, etc.  At worst, you'll get so ingrained into the market and prices that you'll have a good command over pulling the trigger when it's time. You might even drop a line or two via email to dealers asking about a particular car and see their response (right now I doubt that they'd pester you for a sale, being a total seller's market).  Good luck!

2 hours ago, victory88 said:

Alright, last time I bought a car was in 2014.  I need to upgrade to a SUV.  Looking at the X5, Cayenne, RX, the infiniti and Audi ones as well.  Should I expect to pay MSRP and/or above?  I don't need the car for another 7 or so months so I have time to shop and order one to be built if it's cheaper that way.  What's the best way for me to get one of these vehicles at the best price?  I always buy certified pre-owned where they are 1-2 years old with under 20k miles to get a better price point.  After looking at used car prices, I may as well buy a brand new one.  I really want the Cayenne but it's right at the top of my budget and I'd rather go for the better priced car.  Looking at the X5 and leaning towards it.  Anyone care to share their experience with the X5?  Any problems with it?  Reliable?  

We also plan on trading one of our cars in.  It's a 2016 Merc CLA 250 with about 70k miles on it.   I've never traded a car in.  What's the best way to get the best value back? The car is in decent condition outside of a little scratch on the bumper that is easily fixable.  Is expecting 10k trade in value unrealistic or is that too low?  I just don't want to get ripped off when I start this buying process.

I drive an X5 and have been super pleased with it so much to the point that I’m about to pull the trigger on an order for an X5M. The only time it has been in the shop is for routine maintenance and a minor recall when it was around a year old. 

• Hook 'Em 1

46 minutes ago, royiv said:

I drive an X5 and have been super pleased with it so much to the point that I’m about to pull the trigger on an order for an X5M. The only time it has been in the shop is for routine maintenance and a minor recall when it was around a year old. 

Will be interesting to hear what they tell you regarding ADM.  I'm having to pay $5k on my RS6 I just ordered.  But that's better than the $10-20k people are seeing other places around the country.

Just now, Chewbacca said:

Will be interesting to hear what they tell you regarding ADM.  I'm having to pay $5k on my RS6 I just ordered.  But that's better than the $10-20k people are seeing other places around the country.

No additional mark-up. I’ve bought a lot of BMWs over the years — we have two in the garage — and I suspect that has something to do with it. Too much competition in the Houston market if they try to screw me this time. I’ll remember and go to another dealer the next time.

1 minute ago, royiv said:

No additional mark-up. I’ve bought a lot of BMWs over the years — we have two in the garage — and I suspect that has something to do with it. Too much competition in the Houston market if they try to screw me this time. I’ll remember and go to another dealer the next time.

Have they already told you that?  Nobody has any cars on their lots right now.

On 2/11/2022 at 10:44 PM, UT_OB1 said:

Sorry if this is a late reply, but there are a number of mobile mechanic services out there and a bunch probably offer a "used vehicle inspection".  When I bought a used car ~5 years ago I could schedule someone to come meet me at the dealership and look over the car.  I think he even had a mobile jack to get under the car. I can't remember which service I used, but it might have been yourmechanic.com.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/10/2022 at 5:49 AM, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Dealerships shouldn't exist. Hopefully their shortsighted greed leads to their demise much faster.

Legitimately interested in hearing about this.

i cringe at the thought of dealing with the local branch of a global auto manufacturer for warranty/service. Toyota would probably do it well, GM would be a horror movie.

Granted, there are plenty of shitty dealers.  The good ones I have dealt with definitely add some value.

5 hours ago, Incredulity said:

Legitimately interested in hearing about this.

i cringe at the thought of dealing with the local branch of a global auto manufacturer for warranty/service. Toyota would probably do it well, GM would be a horror movie.

Granted, there are plenty of shitty dealers.  The good ones I have dealt with definitely add some value.

Do i really need to explain why direct to consumer model benefits consumers?

10 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Do i really need to explain why direct to consumer model benefits consumers?

Not at all.

I question the assertion that Global Auto Co will give one flying fuck about selling a $18,000 sub-compact to Jane Doe of Tubelo, MS.

I concede that the local dealer may not either.  But, some do.

I suspect over time DTC auto sales would end up being extensively regulated by state and local governments, as instances of Jane Doe getting fucked over compiled.  Which really isn’t the appropriate thing for government to be managing.

PSA: Sell you car to Carvana instead of trading it in.

A few data points from helping a girl I know buy a 2021 Grand Cherokee Limited this week:

Trade-in / purchase offers for 2012 Lexus RX350, FWD, 95k miles, black/tan, one-owner, with no damage but above average rock chips and embedded black dog hair in interior:
Austin Jeep dealer: $13,000
Houston Jeep dealer: $12,250
Carmax: $16,000
Carvana: $18,350.

Shopped Houston Jeep dealer for new 2022 Grand Cherokee Limited WK 4x4. None in stock. Several on the truck in transit. Salesman quoted $49,450 MSRP plus $5,000 and wouldn’t budge. Insisted they’d all be sold before the truck arrived. I balked. While I was walking out, salesman says we should talk to the manager. Within two minutes, the price was down to MSRP plus $500. Kind of annoying. Ended up buying a pristine 2021 model with 11k miles from their used car lot for $41,900 which was $1,000 less than their “Internet Special” price. Dealer threw in a new set of floor mats and a new rear cargo cover. MSRP on this particular vehicle when new was $44,450.

Takeaway: Unloading the trade-in on Carvana for a premium price seemed like such a win that it soothed all the pain of buying a practically new vehicle in an inflated market.

New vehicle has black interior to camouflage future dog hair.

Bernard

Edited by Bernard
  • Hook 'Em 1

My neighbor across the street sells BMWs for some local Dallas dealer (not sure which). He says they’re not selling over MSRP, but are adding finish “protection”. He did say that if someone orders a car, and then balks at buying it when it comes in (hoping to negotiate), they tell ‘em “see ‘ya”, because they know they’ll sell it later in the day for what they want. 

I'm putting leather seats in my 08 F150 which has 189k miles. The total for that comes to about 2 monthly car payments on a new truck. 

And my answer to the question above.. We have to get back to minimizing the chips in vehicles for this to happen, and obviously the consumers are going to have to be ok with that...which is probably a stretch.

43 minutes ago, Texas St. Armadillos said:

I am beginning to wonder if the market will ever correct and that production will adjust to maintain the premium pricing (and financing).

Yeah, some months ago I read that manufacturers have been afraid to restrict or curtail inventory on the promise of better pricing for them, but that the supply crisis may have changed their thinking on that.

1 minute ago, Sam Lin said:

No, most automakers don't have the guts or the position to try and choke supply to keep pricing up. Excepting exotics, cars are commodity items, and anyone who voluntarily limits their production is just going to lose sales to a competitor.

I hear ya, but this has all the signs of a Netflix documentary in 3-4 years where collusion was rampant among the large manufacturers, congressional hearings were had, and nothing happens to the companies or executives.