Buying a New Vehicle in this environment

Royalfan5

1 hour ago, Texas St. Armadillos said:

I am beginning to wonder if the market will ever correct and that production will adjust to maintain the premium pricing (and financing).

fwiw,  read that we "may" never again see dealer inventory as in the past which can eliminate price reduction.    Dealers like the minimal inventory/order your vehicle concept to save costs.

Anyone have friends in the business ?    Wonder if this is affecting reduction in salesmen  ?

3 hours ago, Sam Lin said:

anyone who voluntarily limits their production is just going to lose sales to a competitor.

Yeah but the other guys don't have shit to sell, either. I literally can't walk onto a lot and buy a car that I want. Nothing is in stock, they're delayed until God knows when. And every dealer that has something available is charging 5-10k mark up on top. 

That's the case right now as no one can get chips. No one is voluntarily limiting production right now. Armadillo is asking about whether the automakers will collude and continue this vehicle shortage to keep pricing up after their suppliers are back to normal. Answer is no, Subaru is about the only one who has done it in the past, and that wasn't to keep prices up, it was a corporate focus on avoiding overcapacity due to meeting transient demand surges.

On 3/21/2022 at 10:51 AM, torre said:

fwiw,  read that we "may" never again see dealer inventory as in the past which can eliminate price reduction.    Dealers like the minimal inventory/order your vehicle concept to save costs.

Anyone have friends in the business ?    Wonder if this is affecting reduction in salesmen  ?

A guy I know sells a certain Euro brand. He says right he’s now the only salesman on staff. Customers call in with requests. He looks at what’s on the boat headed this way. Almost everything is sold before it hits the lot. His income is up substantially since pre-pandemic. $30k last month.  He’s putting in a lot of hours though.

Bernard

• Hook 'Em 1

Update to my PSA on Carvana:

A buddy’s daughter just sold her lease-expiring Porsche to a dealer through Kelly Blue Book’s Instant Cash Offer program. Sale price was $9,000 over her lease buyout. And the winning offer was $1,000 more than Carvana’s offer.

Bernard

• Hook 'Em 1

On 3/21/2022 at 10:51 AM, torre said:

It would make sense. Dealers we work for have had record years the last two years. The numbers haven’t even been in the ballpark of where they were before. A lot of that is coming from the over priced used car market and limited discounts on new vehicles. There have also been a lot of government replacements of lower tech vehicles that are keeping volume numbers way up, especially with Ford dealers. They are selling tons of Explorers set up for highway patrol and state office use.

On 3/23/2022 at 10:56 PM, Bernard said:

Update to my PSA on Carvana:

A buddy’s daughter just sold her lease-expiring Porsche to a dealer through Kelly Blue Book’s Instant Cash Offer program. Sale price was $9,000 over her lease buyout. And the winning offer was $1,000 more than Carvana’s offer.

Bernard

This is also hurting dealer supply. They expect to get a large amount of these vehicles back and that is not happening for this exact scenario. 

• 4 weeks later...

Just went to buy new F150 and they only had a few new ones.  I wanted a dark exterior with leather seats, nothing off the beaten path.

They told me they could order it and that I can get it at end of the year.  I asked why would I get a 2022 right when 2023 trucks are rolling out and he just shrugged and said he had no answers to things this year.  You basically have to want color combo onsite or not get new truck in 2022.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a supplier discount through my employer that would save me a few grand in a new truck, but the first dealership i talked to said they can’t honor the supplier discount because of allocation. Is this a thing across the board now, or just dealership specific? Most lost don’t have what I want so I figured I’d need to build to order anyway. In Houston so I’ve got a ton of options and am shooting my preferred build to several dealerships. Is this across the board or just dealership specific? Not the end of the world but a couple grand is still a couple grand if I can get it. 

10 minutes ago, Etexhorn13 said:

I have a supplier discount through my employer that would save me a few grand in a new truck, but the first dealership i talked to said they can’t honor the supplier discount because of allocation. Is this a thing across the board now, or just dealership specific? Most lost don’t have what I want so I figured I’d need to build to order anyway. In Houston so I’ve got a ton of options and am shooting my preferred build to several dealerships. Is this across the board or just dealership specific? Not the end of the world but a couple grand is still a couple grand if I can get it. 

I purchased my car last summer using the supplier discount plus a bunch of incentives and a manufacturer coupon. CJDR got rid of the supplier discounts on most vehicles anyone wanted to buy a month later. I bought my car for under $8k MSRP. What supplier are you trying to purchase from? Mac Haik was willing to take the supplier discount back then. I am not sure if they are anymore. 

52 minutes ago, Tex48 said:

I purchased my car last summer using the supplier discount plus a bunch of incentives and a manufacturer coupon. CJDR got rid of the supplier discounts on most vehicles anyone wanted to buy a month later. I bought my car for under $8k MSRP. What supplier are you trying to purchase from? Mac Haik was willing to take the supplier discount back then. I am not sure if they are anymore. 

I have both GM and Ford supplier discounts but right now I’ve been looking around at GM dealerships. One dealership said they can order for MSRP but at this point I’m spraying my build quote from the supplier website across every dealership seeing what they can do for me. They all want me to come test drive a model on their lot but I’ve seen all the online inventories and none of them match what I want, and if it’s even close they want way more than MSRP I was quoted. 

Edited by Etexhorn13

Hadn’t read any of this thread. I will buy a new Wildtrak Bronco (Area 51, cactus grey, charcoal, black, white, or red), or new Denali XL (white with black wheels) right now. 

I’m more frustrated than an Ethiopian with no legs watching a donut roll down a hill. 

58 minutes ago, Etexhorn13 said:

I have both GM and Ford supplier discounts but right now I’ve been looking around at GM dealerships. One dealership said they can order for MSRP but at this point I’m spraying my build quote from the supplier website across every dealership seeing what they can do for me. They all want me to come test drive a model on their lot but I’ve seen all the online inventories and none of them match what I want, and if it’s even close they want way more than MSRP I was quoted. 

I'd call the dealership and ask for the fleet vehicle sales rep. Those guys seemed to have the less bs out of all of them. I'm pretty sure the corporate/fleet sales guy who helped me at CDJR is only reason I got my car at the price I did. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Trying to purchase an Ioniq 5, and can't find inventory anywhere, and then when I do find one, it's got a market appreciation cost built in for an additional $2,000 and then a mandatory "Dealer Protection" package for another $2,500 on top of that. I can't find a dealer to sell me one at MSRP. It's insane. Five years ago you walk into a dealership offering to pay MSRP and you'd get swarmed by salesmen from the next dealership over trying to get a chance at the guaranteed sale.

1 hour ago, Chult86 said:

Trying to purchase an Ioniq 5, and can't find inventory anywhere, and then when I do find one, it's got a market appreciation cost built in for an additional $2,000 and then a mandatory "Dealer Protection" package for another $2,500 on top of that. I can't find a dealer to sell me one at MSRP. It's insane. Five years ago you walk into a dealership offering to pay MSRP and you'd get swarmed by salesmen from the next dealership over trying to get a chance at the guaranteed sale.

So, piggy backing off this, since I’ve only bought one other car at a dealership and was too stupid to know anything about anything, and my last one was from car max where everything sells for what it’s listed… I finally found a dealership in town with what i wanted in transit, price is ok and They are honoring my supplier discount. I’m guessing at this time I really don’t have much room to wiggle on price or extras or anything, right? Seems like a “take it or wait 2 months for another” type deal  

So, my stepdaughter totaled her 2018 Civic.  Payout was essentially what she paid for it, new.  I was shocked.  I had recently made a call to Lost Pines Toyota about a replacement for my wife's 4Runner (which was damaged in a MoPac rain slick, other driver's fault) and was basically told I should expect to pay ~ MSRP + $3K (so $41K). 

Is that pretty common on lesser vehicles like the Civic?  I called CostCo and they almost laughed about using their pricing program, so I'm not hopeful.

So, my stepdaughter totaled her 2018 Civic.  Payout was essentially what she paid for it, new.  I was shocked.  I had recently made a call to Lost Pines Toyota about a replacement for my wife's 4Runner (which was damaged in a MoPac rain slick, other driver's fault) and was basically told I should expect to pay ~ MSRP + $3K (so $41K). 
Is that pretty common on lesser vehicles like the Civic?  I called CostCo and they almost laughed about using their pricing program, so I'm not hopeful.

Let me know if you want the GM of San Marcos Toyota, he will take care of you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 5/10/2022 at 10:46 AM, Etexhorn13 said:

I just bought a car and used the supplier discount from my wife's company.  Dealer took it.  Also gave me a small rebate for doing 0% for 36 months.  They had one in the showroom and I drove it home.

I am curious about the online selling of a used car.  I see where you can put the info in and they quote you, but I assume when they get there if your car is not in as awesome shape as you made it out to be they cut that quote down.  Anyone have experience with this?

22 minutes ago, Moby Ric said:

I just bought a car and used the supplier discount from my wife's company.  Dealer took it.  Also gave me a small rebate for doing 0% for 36 months.  They had one in the showroom and I drove it home.

I am curious about the online selling of a used car.  I see where you can put the info in and they quote you, but I assume when they get there if your car is not in as awesome shape as you made it out to be they cut that quote down.  Anyone have experience with this?

I did find A couple that honored the supplier discount. It helped that I wasn’t in a hurry and mentioned I’d just go build a custom from a dealer that would accept it if not. They quickly said “yeah well we want the business so I’ll make it happen”

I will let you know soon… Carvana offered 4-6K more than anything else I’ve tried. I guess they send someone to do a quick check when they pick it up from your house but from what I’ve read online they really don’t. I guess they will pay top dollar because they want to keep the highest inventory. Literally had another buyer say “If they offered you that, I wouldn’t even look anywhere else because you won’t do any better by a long shot”.

53 minutes ago, Etexhorn13 said:

So i haven’t ever bought new, should I just finance through the dealership, or should I go with my bank/shop around? 800 credit score so I’m probably fine either way, but I don’t want to do 36 month for 0%. 

Shop around 100%

1 hour ago, Etexhorn13 said:

So i haven’t ever bought new, should I just finance through the dealership, or should I go with my bank/shop around? 800 credit score so I’m probably fine either way, but I don’t want to do 36 month for 0%. 

I had a third party rate through light stream set to go abd dealership was charging a half point higher or some shit. They just ate it to keep it in house… or that’s what they told me. 

On 5/10/2022 at 10:21 PM, Etexhorn13 said:

is carvana still the best place to sell a used car? They were like 4K over the kbb value I got 

When I was buying a new vehicle recently, I got quotes on my old vehicle from Carvana and Car Max. Carvana was a little higher so I gave that to the new car dealer as the floor for negotiations. Ended up getting $1k higher than Carvana from the dealer plus the additional benefit of the sales tax offset.

2 hours ago, Etexhorn13 said:

When we bought my wife's car in 2019, I got pre-approved through my bank and had the pre-auth paper in hand for a 2.75% loan. The dealership wanted the financing and I was paying $4k down so they got a finance manager to approve a 2% loan, down from the 3.5% they normally offered

6 minutes ago, Captainant said:

When we bought my wife's car in 2019, I got pre-approved through my bank and had the pre-auth paper in hand for a 2.75% loan. The dealership wanted the financing and I was paying $4k down so they got a finance manager to approve a 2% loan, down from the 3.5% they normally offered

I plan to put about 22K down… that should probably help me get whatever i want, right? I’ve hijacked this thread but I love doing research but when it comes to the actual application of things im a moron. 

1 minute ago, Etexhorn13 said:

I plan to put about 22K down… that should probably help me get whatever i want, right? I’ve hijacked this thread but I love doing research but when it comes to the actual application of things im a moron. 

Yeah that would probably help a ton lol. Most of their in-house financing is calculated assuming zero down and meager credit score. If you're putting money down, have good credit, and have a pre-approval that'll only strengthen your negotiating position

I did find A couple that honored the supplier discount. It helped that I wasn’t in a hurry and mentioned I’d just go build a custom from a dealer that would accept it if not. They quickly said “yeah well we want the business so I’ll make it happen”

This gives me a little hope. First dealer I asked about using a fleet code for a truck on the lot said no dice.

4 hours ago, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

This gives me a little hope. First dealer I asked about using a fleet code for a truck on the lot said no dice.

They were definitely hesitant at first, but after i mentioned “yeah I’ve had other dealerships say they’ll honor it, they just don’t have anything in the lot so I’d have to order but I’m not in a hurry so that wouldn’t bother me” they changed tune pretty quickly. They said the only one they couldn’t offer it on was the Yukon Denali, which isn’t even what I was buying anyway. It helps if you live in Houston where we have a billion dealerships within 25 miles of my house. 

Edited by Etexhorn13

On 4/18/2022 at 8:32 PM, Hornbeliever said:

Just went to buy new F150 and they only had a few new ones.  I wanted a dark exterior with leather seats, nothing off the beaten path.

They told me they could order it and that I can get it at end of the year.  I asked why would I get a 2022 right when 2023 trucks are rolling out and he just shrugged and said he had no answers to things this year.  You basically have to want color combo onsite or not get new truck in 2022.

the ford website lets you search the entire state for f150's 

I bought a new car in Dallas about a month ago. After I finished the deal I asked the finance guy how business was going since things have changed. 

He said they were selling a little more than half the amount of cars (pre-Covid) but were making more money. Charging full MSRP, no negotiating. Also, almost all of the dealerships are putting on a bunch of after market crap and making ridiculous profits off of that stuff.  This is what really pisses me off.  I mean, Nitrogen in the tires $300, door guards (cheap tape) probably cost them $10/car, $300;  Lojack systems you can buy for $50 using an app on your phone, $900, window tinting, etc...  It's ridiculous what they are getting away with right now.

He thought they would never go back to the old sales model. Why would they, there making more money and the sales are much easier. Shitty for the consumer though.

Edited by sunset87

12 hours ago, sunset87 said:

I bought a new car in Dallas about a month ago. After I finished the deal I asked the finance guy how business was going since things have changed. 

He said they were selling a little more than half the amount of cars (pre-Covid) but were making more money. Charging full MSRP, no negotiating. Also, there are all putting on a bunch of after market crap and making ridiculous profits off of that stuff.

He thought they would never go back to the old sales model. Why would they, there making more money and the sales are much easier. Shitty for the consumer though.

This will not last long.  Once the chip shortage is over with, all it takes is a few dealerships to start cutting prices a bit to sell more cars and it will go back to normal.  

• Like 1

On 5/10/2022 at 6:22 PM, Chult86 said:

Same - there is a spreadsheet of Hyundia/Ioniq 5 US dealers and their pricing that some group put together - you basically have to go to New Jersey/New York or Seattle to find one at MSRP without some sort of dumb luck.

Edited by KingBobo81

Hadn’t read any of this thread. I will buy a new Wildtrak Bronco (Area 51, cactus grey, charcoal, black, white, or red), or new Denali XL (white with black wheels) right now. 
I’m more frustrated than an Ethiopian with no legs watching a donut roll down a hill. 

https://www.truecar.com/used-cars-for-sale/listing/1FMEE5DP1NLA79787/?referrer_id=autotempest

https://www.truecar.com/used-cars-for-sale/listing/1FMEE5DP2NLA82701/?referrer_id=autotempest

https://www.truecar.com/used-cars-for-sale/listing/1FMEE5DP2NLB17527/?referrer_id=autotempest

On 5/16/2022 at 9:31 AM, victory88 said:

This will not last long.  Once the chip shortage is over with, all it takes is a few dealerships to start cutting prices a bit to sell more cars and it will go back to normal.  

Everything I have read points to this happening towards the end of this year or January 2023.

On 5/15/2022 at 9:51 PM, sunset87 said:

He said they were selling a little more than half the amount of cars (pre-Covid) but were making more money. Charging full MSRP, no negotiating. Also, almost all of the dealerships are putting on a bunch of after market crap and making ridiculous profits off of that stuff.  This is what really pisses me off.  I mean, Nitrogen in the tires $300, door guards (cheap tape) probably cost them $10/car, $300;  Lojack systems you can buy for $50 using an app on your phone, $900, window tinting, etc...  It's ridiculous what they are getting away with right now.

A couple of Austin dealerships have responded to this by capping their pricing at MSRP.  When we were looking in Nov-Feb, Covert GMC on 183/Duval had $5k-$15k over sticker (market adjustment) on in-transit or on-lot Yukons or pickups.  Enough people were paying it, as I received zero hard-sell and rationalization when I expressed, "I have never paid close to sticker for a GM vehicle."  Maxwell GMC in Round Rock capped at MSRP.  When talking to the sales and finance folks, they reflected that they were making plenty of money and were taking the long view on this.  When the supply problems end...

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I would pay for a list of local dealers that are capping at MSRP.  I don't have the time to ferret them out, and just getting a sales droid to disclose their pricing policies takes me back to the old days of "well, that's a tough sell, but let me talk to my manager" bullshit.

Ordered a Tesla in Jan of 2021. Fifth or sixth delivery change now showing estimated dates of July 27-Sept 21 2022.

Never imagined waiting this long for a vehicle. Placing an order today for same version is 20%+ higher. Main reason I’ve held out.

Hoping the ETA range is finally stable.

Put a deposit down on an in transit GMC truck a week and a half ago. Was told delivery would be the 17th, now moved to the 29th so that’s been frustrating. Something I noticed with the spare time I’ve had to wait, though, is that the pricing they gave me is wonky. They took my supplier discount and subtracted that from MSRP for final cost… kinda hard to haggle when they don’t even have any on the lot that I want. But I look online and they’ve got a dealership discount “for everyone”, so their actual listing price starts about $1800 lower than what they gave me the discount on, and is also lower than my price with GM supplier discount. 

Should I request they put my discount on top of the price they’re marketing online instead of the MSRP? This feels a little dirty to me, like they assumed it wouldn’t do my homework and notice. I’d rather they have just said “we could do the supplier discount but the one we are already advertising is lower anyway”. Fuckin car salesmen. 

TLDR: Price I was quoted after GM supplier discount added is higher than what they’re advertising online. I’m in the right to bring this up and give ‘em a big WTF, right?

Edited by Etexhorn13

16 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

I would pay for a list of local dealers that are capping at MSRP.  I don't have the time to ferret them out, and just getting a sales droid to disclose their pricing policies takes me back to the old days of "well, that's a tough sell, but let me talk to my manager" bullshit.

I think Leif Johnson and Mack Haik are, to their credit. 

Had been hesitating and going back and forth on the Hyundai Ioniq 5 and the Kia EV6 (Same car for the most part). Finally got lucky with a dealer about an hour away from the house that had a Kia EV6 on the lot (I'd been calling every Saturday for the last month every Hyundai/Kia dealer within an hour of home, about 13 dealerships total), trim model I wanted as well. Told them I was on my way and showed up just over an hour later, only to walk in and have the sales manager tell me another couple had come in before I arrived and was already signing the paperwork on the car I'd called about and paid $15,000 over MSRP. I gave them the "This is ridiculous, I told you I was on my way and to call me if someone else came in, yet here I am and here we are" lines, and they apologized profusely and said they were supposed to get a truck with one on it the following day. As I'm venting to them, another couple walks in to try and buy the same car the other couple is already signing for. I'd never seen anything like this, but was not about to get into any kind of bidding war.

I leave the dealership and 15 minutes down the road they call me to tell me that the truck arrived a day early and I can come back and look at the one that just rolled off the truck. It had plastic wrap everywhere, it was fresh off the truck in every way. Ended up paying only $2,500 over MSRP, which honestly felt like a win. There isn't a dealership in SWFL that's selling new cars at MSRP right now, electric or not. Car is going through final pre-arrival inspection at the dealership this morning and then they're delivering to my office later this afternoon. I will say... this car is FUN to drive. Perfect credit got us a 3.25% rate as well, for anyone curious what kind of rates are available out there.

5 minutes ago, Chult86 said:

Had been hesitating and going back and forth on the Hyundai Ioniq 5 and the Kia EV6 (Same car for the most part). Finally got lucky with a dealer about an hour away from the house that had a Kia EV6 on the lot (I'd been calling every Saturday for the last month every Hyundai/Kia dealer within an hour of home, about 13 dealerships total), trim model I wanted as well. Told them I was on my way and showed up just over an hour later, only to walk in and have the sales manager tell me another couple had come in before I arrived and was already signing the paperwork on the car I'd called about and paid $15,000 over MSRP. I gave them the "This is ridiculous, I told you I was on my way and to call me if someone else came in, yet here I am and here we are" lines, and they apologized profusely and said they were supposed to get a truck with one on it the following day. As I'm venting to them, another couple walks in to try and buy the same car the other couple is already signing for. I'd never seen anything like this, but was not about to get into any kind of bidding war.

I leave the dealership and 15 minutes down the road they call me to tell me that the truck arrived a day early and I can come back and look at the one that just rolled off the truck. It had plastic wrap everywhere, it was fresh off the truck in every way. Ended up paying only $2,500 over MSRP, which honestly felt like a win. There isn't a dealership in SWFL that's selling new cars at MSRP right now, electric or not. Car is going through final pre-arrival inspection at the dealership this morning and then they're delivering to my office later this afternoon. I will say... this car is FUN to drive. Perfect credit got us a 3.25% rate as well, for anyone curious what kind of rates are available out there.

Did you get the trim with the HUD and "augmented reality"? Really curious to hear how that actually works outside of a showroom.

Man congrats on buying an electric car in 2022 lol. Inventory is nuts! I'm a year away from paying off my 2019 Cherokee, but it makes me sad every time I fiil up and see that I'm only getting 21 mpg in the city. My next car is going to at least be a hybrid

10 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Did you get the trim with the HUD and "augmented reality"? Really curious to hear how that actually works outside of a showroom.

Man congrats on buying an electric car in 2022 lol. Inventory is nuts! I'm a year away from paying off my 2019 Cherokee, but it makes me sad every time I fiil up and see that I'm only getting 21 mpg in the city. My next car is going to at least be a hybrid

Even with a higher car payment than my VW Tiguan, I get gas once a week on average, and down in FL it's $65-$70 each time at the pump. That, coupled with the $7,500 tax credit made upgrading to an EV actually cheaper in the long run, especially when you factor in maintenance on an ICE vs an EV.

Did not go with the HUD/AR package. Though, had it been what was available, probably couldn't have said no. Going to be a LOOOOOOONG day at the office waiting for this to arrive :)

• Hook 'Em 1

On 5/23/2022 at 7:31 AM, Bozo_Casanova said:

I think Leif Johnson and Mack Haik are, to their credit. 

When I picked up my Bronco from Leif Johnson in September, they confirmed MSRP on all vehicles except for the Raptor & Shelby Mustang. Those were above MSRP because their allocation was so low. I think they said 10 Raptors and 2 Shelbys a year.

Edited by CooterBrown
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

So- back in January I ordered a Maverick from Leif Johnson with basically all the allocated shit- lariat, lux packag, 360, etc. I figured since it wasn’t Hybrid I would get it in 3-4 months. Still Don’t even have a build date yet.
However- about 6 weeks ago I noticed they have one at Mack Haik exactly like the one I wanted- somebody ordered it last year and it finally came in. So I call them and tell them that if the buyer doesn’t show I’ll buy it. They tell me up front that if the buyer shows it’s MSRP but if not they are going to mark it up by $2k in that scenario, which seems fair enough in this environment. A couple days later they call and I’m out of town but ready to send cash- no dice, they tell me. 5 other buyers can come in that day, which is fine. I guess it’s  just not in the cards. 
Two weeks go by, and I get a call from the rep I talked to- she’s got one coming in exactly like mine except black (my second choice), and the guy that ordered it isn’t returning calls. 
She wants to know if I’m in, because nobody knows they have it. I am! So I go up there the next day to do the deal and I look at the price, which doesn’t seem like she marked it up. It turns out that the “markup” she wants to tack on is basically just a life’s hundred over the price increase from the time the truck was ordered and now.  IOW the marked up price is just a little over the current MSRP. 

Not sure what I’ll do of the one I ordered ever shows up, but this is a pretty neat little truck.

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Hook 'Em 1