Buying a New Vehicle in this environment

Royalfan5

I'm thinking of ordering a Tahoe or Yukon.  I really don't want a vehicle that's been sitting for months and months.  Wonder if the cars that are sitting are already allocated for dealerships or if the manufacturer would just grab one and spec it to a customer's order.  Might be best to wait a few months and hope things get back to normal.

BTW, multiple dealers have told me they'd order the vehicle at sticker - no more / no less.

Picked up my kid’s Crosstrek from West Houston Subaru today. Hiding it around the corner at a neighbor’s house until her birthday. Gotta say, that’s a pretty nice car for the money. I hadn’t driven one until today, after I’d paid for it, so I was glad it didn’t suck.

Nice, the new Crosstrek’s look pretty nice. Post pics when you can.

3 hours ago, gyroprotagonist said:

talked to a buddy and he has been waiting for several months on a Yukon XL.  the dealership wanted him to take one on the lot that did not have heated/cooled seats, adaptive cruise control, and i am forgetting some other stuff, rear camera maybe.  

I believe rear cameras are govt mandated on new cars. 

I went to Austin Covert to shop a Yukon for the wife/kids. They said I couldn’t get a Denali for less than a $10k mark up and then tried to sell me a Yukon SLT for $90k OTD including a “$5k discount”.

I built the same spec Yukon SLT online for $75k which means they marked up the SLT $10k after their “discount” despite telling they won’t mark up the SLT. Yeah, F that shadiness. Will try again in a couple months but will give Covert Bastrop or Nyle Maxwell a shot. Kills me to know the cool shit I could get for the same price as a mass produced GM.

Youngest daughter totaled the wife's Suburban this week.  Wait for it....... in the furkin' drive thru at Starbucks.  How the freak do you total a vehicle in a drive thru, you ask?  Well, evidently you are distracted, confused, or other and at the last minute you decide to switch from the A to B line.  Somehow, jump the curbing and crash into a light pole and set off the airbags.  The wife and I talked about it some this morning and agreed somehow this time (yes, this the 4th accident) there will be a consequence.  Joy.  

Edited by Bevo&Pevo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

11 hours ago, Johnny Chimpo said:

Dude. You’re still letting her drive three accidents later? That one is at least partially on you. 

First one wasn't her fault another driver crashed her.  The second and third weren't really too big a deal.  This one, well it's an issue.  She has what I call Seagull Syndrome.  She flies in, squawks, makes a mess, and flies out leaving someone to clean up.  This time, she'll be helping clean up.

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, Bevo&Pevo said:

First one wasn't her fault another driver crashed her.  The second and third weren't really too big a deal.  This one, well it's an issue.  She has what I call Seagull Syndrome.  She flies in, squawks, makes a mess, and flies out leaving someone to clean up.  This time, she'll be helping clean up.

It sounds like she may be driving a little riskier (or maybe more distracted?) than she needs to be though. If she's picking up this many accidents this quickly, she's gonna have one hell of an insurance premium keeping up that habit

My oldest curbed my car and blew out a tire, got into an accident in a parking lot (tried to pull into a parking spot from the wrong angle) and then curbed her car and blew out two tires all in 30 days.   Young drivers suck.

As for car shopping, I bought her car in August.    Compared the Crosstrek, Kona and HR-V.   Managed to walk into a Hyundai dealership when they were figuring out what was coming in on the next truck.  Their first offer was $15,000 over sticker on a Kona.   Yeah, no.   Ended up paying about $2,000  over.   

On 10/14/2022 at 6:30 PM, drewlaws said:

I went to Austin Covert to shop a Yukon for the wife/kids. They said I couldn’t get a Denali for less than a $10k mark up and then tried to sell me a Yukon SLT for $90k OTD including a “$5k discount”.

I built the same spec Yukon SLT online for $75k which means they marked up the SLT $10k after their “discount” despite telling they won’t mark up the SLT. Yeah, F that shadiness. Will try again in a couple months but will give Covert Bastrop or Nyle Maxwell a shot. Kills me to know the cool shit I could get for the same price as a mass produced GM.

fuck covert in austin. ended up buying at Cavender's in san antonio

• Hook 'Em 1

On 10/14/2022 at 6:04 PM, Bevo&Pevo said:

Youngest daughter totaled the wife's Suburban this week.  Wait for it....... in the furkin' drive thru at Starbucks.  How the freak do you total a vehicle in a drive thru, you ask?  Well, evidently you are distracted, confused, or other and at the last minute you decide to switch from the A to B line.  Somehow, jump the curbing and crash into a light pole and set off the airbags.  The wife and I talked about it some this morning and agreed somehow this time (yes, this the 4th accident) there will be a consequence.  Joy.  

3 accidents weren't enough to keep her away from your wife's car?  Holy shit.

8 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

3 accidents weren't enough to keep her away from your wife's car?  Holy shit.

No kidding.  Making your kid ride the bus isn't considered child abuse.   I wasn't liking what I was seeing when my oldest had his permit.  Made him wait until 17 to get his license.  Even with that, he knows this whole car thing is a one and done deal.  He buys the next one whether this one lasts one week or 10 years.

On 10/14/2022 at 10:21 PM, ChickenSandwich said:

The land yacht isn’t helping anything 

and yet they are built like a tank, or at least they used to be. my Suburban was in 5 accidents:
 - first was the deer killing incident, I was driving. Broken headlight, dead deer 1-0 burb
 - 2nd was I got rear ended by on the the HS teachers, both on our way to Friday night HS football game. Dents and scratches on the burb - 2-0 burb
 - 3 my dumbass son 1/2 rolled it doing some off roading, it would have rolled but there was a tree that prevented it. My kid was fine, the burb needed some work 2-1 burb
 - 4 eldest daughter bumped into a car in a parking lot (no damage to the 'burb). 3-1 burb
- son missed a curve, in the neighborhood, must have been doing 50+, sheared off a 3-4 inch round tree. Tree died, burb was fatally wounded (at 280,000 miles) hit on the front passenger corner, bent the bumper, broke the raidator, headlight, hood, front quarter fender and other shit.  Burb dies with a 3-2 record, son never went to the hospital (at least not for vehicle accidents)

Loved that thing - RIP Green burb

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

On 10/15/2022 at 10:31 PM, Captainant said:

If she's picking up this many accidents this quickly, she's gonna have one hell of an insurance premium keeping up that habit

I can’t imagine the premiums for her. We have a couple of not at fault accidents on our records with only one pay out from our insurance on a non insured driver (kid excluded on her parents insurance and they let her drive anyway) and our rates are sky rocketing.

• 4 weeks later...

I posted earlier this summer about purchasing a Kia EV6. LOVED the car, drove great, great range, great charge speed. Audio would cut out unexpectedly after a few weeks, and then after a couple months I had zero audio. Dealership "fixed" it and gave it back and it didn't even make noises for safety features like blind-spot assist/etc. Two months it sat at the dealership as they checked every wire connection and replaced the amp twice. Still nothing. Called me one morning "Hey, looks like we got it, sound is working fine. We're going to take it for a test drive during lunch and make sure the fix holds" A few hours later.... "Ya, it cut out again. We'll contact KIA and see what they want us to test next."

So we ended up contacting Kia Consumer Affairs (Who I will say, despite the frustration at driving a POS rental instead of my brand new EV, did a tremendous job at trying to rectify the situation, working directly with the dealership to provide updates). Eventually, KIA offered to buy the car back as a Lemon. I scoured forums/reddit/etc, and couldn't find a single other consumer that had this issue. Many had amps go out, but replacing the amp was an easy fix. Sad... but they were unable to provide any sort of timeline estimate on when they would have it fixed. The next step they were going to try was to replace the entire wiring harness on the car, however a delivery date for a new wiring harness wasn't available, as they have zero supply. We are getting every dime we spent on the car, down payment/taxes/interest/loan payments/every dime.

Unfortunately, supply issues are still abysmal, even down here in FL. I would have happily purchased another EV6 had I been able to find one. Instead, I took advantage of the used car market declining drastically in the recent months, and jumped on a steal of a price for a slightly used Jaguar I-Pace, another EV. Fits the wall charger in the garage, has the range I need, etc. Also... my goodness the interior quality of the car. Outside of the infotainment being a little lacking, the polish on the rest of the car is superb. Also, the exterior looks amazing as well (in my opinion).

Bright side of the story - Even though KIA is purchasing the car back from us, guess who still gets to keep the Federal Tax Credit? THIS GUY.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hope everyone is safe. 

Do you have another car you can use for a while? I'm currently looking for an AWD car for my son at college right now. The only way we have seen to get a car at MSRP is to order exactly what you want and wait. I think the Telluride remains a pretty hot commodity, below MSRP would be a tall order. 

Most new cars already on the lot selling "at MSRP" have multiple dealer add ons included. No one has been willing to budge on that. However, if we were willing to order and wait, we could skip those. 

Availability has certainly improved overall and used car prices (while still absurdly high) are starting to come down.  I have almost given up looking in the low milage 1-3 year old range. Between the price and "reconditioning costs" or dealer add ons, those cars are still at or above new MSRP. 

Maybe this guy can help offset expenses after your semi accident. 

41AD72C3-41FB-418D-BD72-322A6E1091E0_1_201_a.jpeg

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Don't want to start a thread -- I have a used vehicle I want to sell in Austin.  What are the go-to websites for such a thing?

I've had terrible luck selling random crap on craigslist the last couple of years, it has really gone downhill.  I've never sold a vehicle except to friends, so I'm unaware of the best non-scammy options.

Don't want to start a thread -- I have a used vehicle I want to sell in Austin.  What are the go-to websites for such a thing?
I've had terrible luck selling random crap on craigslist the last couple of years, it has really gone downhill.  I've never sold a vehicle except to friends, so I'm unaware of the best non-scammy options.

I’ve bought and sold vehicles on autotrader, cars.com and on enthusiast forums (if it is a vehicle that has a following). All went smoothly but I haven’t done it in five years or so.

27 minutes ago, drewlaws said:

I’ve bought and sold vehicles on autotrader, cars.com and on enthusiast forums (if it is a vehicle that has a following). All went smoothly but I haven’t done it in five years or so.

Thanks.  There is zero following for this vehicle -- a busted up 2008 Subaru Tribeca -- save maybe broke-ass lesbians.

On 12/9/2022 at 5:27 PM, jimmyjazz said:

I sold a car to carmax last week and it was incredibly painless. It’s worth a shot seeing what they’ll give you for it. The appraisal took less than 30 minutes. It was maybe another 15 minutes for them to process the paperwork and give me a check. They gave me $15k, dealer offered $8k on it as a trade-in. 

• Hook 'Em 1

23 hours ago, The Royal We said:

I sold a car to carmax last week and it was incredibly painless. It’s worth a shot seeing what they’ll give you for it. The appraisal took less than 30 minutes. It was maybe another 15 minutes for them to process the paperwork and give me a check. They gave me $15k, dealer offered $8k on it as a trade-in. 

I've used Carmax twice with similar results. 

On 12/9/2022 at 6:55 PM, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

Used market dropping like a rock.

Met with one of my dealers this week that is selling and he said he is seeing a roughly 4-5% drop a week in used values across his inventory over the last few weeks. New has still held up, but it is starting to show the same signs. Interest rates on new/used vehicles are pretty steep when combined with average pricing. Lenders are tightening loan requirements as well. I was looking to trade my F250, but it’s off $10k+ in the last few weeks. It’s still overpriced in relation to what I paid though.

• Like 2

On 12/11/2022 at 6:19 AM, The Royal We said:

I've unfortunately had to sell a few vehicles. Shift.com offered more than CarMax.

On 12/9/2022 at 7:55 PM, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

Used market dropping like a rock.

Carvana’s impending bankruptcy will reset it even further. With that a metric ton of chips coming back into that market inventory should really increase in Q1 and Q2 2023. With high rates, I expect deals available come summer for that first time in many years. 

Toyota will still be behind the curveball, unfortunately. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/11/2022 at 4:15 PM, Chult86 said:

I posted earlier this summer about purchasing a Kia EV6. LOVED the car, drove great, great range, great charge speed. Audio would cut out unexpectedly after a few weeks, and then after a couple months I had zero audio. Dealership "fixed" it and gave it back and it didn't even make noises for safety features like blind-spot assist/etc. Two months it sat at the dealership as they checked every wire connection and replaced the amp twice. Still nothing. Called me one morning "Hey, looks like we got it, sound is working fine. We're going to take it for a test drive during lunch and make sure the fix holds" A few hours later.... "Ya, it cut out again. We'll contact KIA and see what they want us to test next."

So we ended up contacting Kia Consumer Affairs (Who I will say, despite the frustration at driving a POS rental instead of my brand new EV, did a tremendous job at trying to rectify the situation, working directly with the dealership to provide updates). Eventually, KIA offered to buy the car back as a Lemon. I scoured forums/reddit/etc, and couldn't find a single other consumer that had this issue. Many had amps go out, but replacing the amp was an easy fix. Sad... but they were unable to provide any sort of timeline estimate on when they would have it fixed. The next step they were going to try was to replace the entire wiring harness on the car, however a delivery date for a new wiring harness wasn't available, as they have zero supply. We are getting every dime we spent on the car, down payment/taxes/interest/loan payments/every dime.

Unfortunately, supply issues are still abysmal, even down here in FL. I would have happily purchased another EV6 had I been able to find one. Instead, I took advantage of the used car market declining drastically in the recent months, and jumped on a steal of a price for a slightly used Jaguar I-Pace, another EV. Fits the wall charger in the garage, has the range I need, etc. Also... my goodness the interior quality of the car. Outside of the infotainment being a little lacking, the polish on the rest of the car is superb. Also, the exterior looks amazing as well (in my opinion).

Bright side of the story - Even though KIA is purchasing the car back from us, guess who still gets to keep the Federal Tax Credit? THIS GUY.

Update after having the car for almost two months... I really, really love how it drives. It's fun, plenty of power, and sleek. I get compliments on it daily since they're so rare around these parts. The infotainment definitely leaves a bit to be desired, but no regrets at all on the purchase.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 5 months later...

Are the EV lease offers with $7500 "manufacture credit" a way to get around the income limits of buying an EV and getting tax credit?   If so, would it make sense to lease under these terms then buy out the vehicle at end of the lease if you don't qualify for the tax credit straight out?

Yes, there is a loophole where cars that wouldn't qualify for the credit if sold can still get the credit if leased. However, leasing companies have generally rolled that value into the lease, so you don't gain anything if you wait to buy out until end of lease. The way to make it pay off is to lease but then prepay and buy out the lease immediately (months after leasing). Once you subtract fees you generally realize around 5k of discount - not the full 7500 savings but still a decent amount and something you couldn't save otherwise.

Some math here. It doesn't work for all makes, make sure the financing terms actually are removing the credit from capitalized cost. In some cases the dealers mark up the price by the credit amount so you gain nothing. Other cases the lease cannot be bought out. Lots more discussion in the thread if you browse and read.

https://slickdeals.net/forums/showpost.php?p=163916216&postcount=66

• 1 month later...