24 Hours in a Waffle House

Neonmoon

On 6/19/2021 at 7:06 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

Yeah the location in College Station appears to fully functional. Breakfast at The Kettle followed by a Messina Hof run isn't a bad way to spend a 9/80 Friday or a Saturday. 

Messina Hoff is The Kettle of wineries.

• Haha 4

8 hours ago, Sandman said:

I went to Bob Evans a few years ago while visiting family in Bloomington, IN. I had never been there and had always wanted to go. It was fucking gross. I'd crawl on broken glass to get to Waffle House before I'd to to Bob Evans again.

What did you order?

1 hour ago, WhatTheBuck said:

What did you order?

I honestly don't remember, I think it was chicken. I do know that it was in the late afternoon/early evening and I did not order breakfast. Perhaps their breakfast would've been better? I doubt I'll ever go back, so that will probably remain a mystery. 

16 minutes ago, Sandman said:

I honestly don't remember, I think it was chicken. I do know that it was in the late afternoon/early evening and I did not order breakfast. Perhaps their breakfast would've been better? I doubt I'll ever go back, so that will probably remain a mystery. 

You’re obviously a man of discriminating taste. 

2 hours ago, Sandman said:

I suspect you’ll never go back, but that place is heinous for lunch/dinner.  But the breakfast was awesome.  Kinda like a Jim’s.  Never order dinner at a place that charges $8.95 for the steak and somehow still makes a profit.  

I’m thinking I’d hitting up the new Waffle House at 290/183 this week as I’ll be out that way.  But it’s awfully far from my home toilet is my big worry.  

Reminds me of stopping at Cracker Barrel with my wife a few years ago and the wife wanted a chicken biscuit. The waitress said they don’t do that. I ask if they have chicken and she said yes. I ask if they have a biscuit and she said yes. I told her to take the biscuit and open it up and put chicken between the top and bottom piece of biscuit. Pretty sure we ate spit that day. 

• 1 month later...
The plan is eat lunch at The Kettle in College Station on Monday. Any suggestions? I'm torn between the steak and eggs or the pork chop and eggs. 
Please ask your family or friends this question tomorrow. If they don't immediately beat some sense into you get some new family and friends.

1 minute ago, DCA_HORN said:
1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:
The plan is eat lunch at The Kettle in College Station on Monday. Any suggestions? I'm torn between the steak and eggs or the pork chop and eggs. 

Please ask your family or friends this question tomorrow. If they don't immediately beat some sense into you get some new family and friends.

Just passing through Fletch. I'm not buying a house on Traditions. 

On 6/22/2021 at 1:41 PM, RPM said:

Their restaurants in Texas were branded Owens. They tanked hard.

https://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/stories/2006/01/23/daily32.html

They were kinda meh. There was one in NRH. The Waffle House is still rocking on that corner, but the Owens spot has changed hands several times.

Edit: From the article.

They own Mimi's too. 

Edited by cactusflinthead
  • Hook 'Em 1

18 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

The plan is eat lunch at The Kettle in College Station on Monday. Any suggestions?

Skip College Station and tool down Hwy 30 about 10 miles. There's a biker joint called Yankee's Tavern.

They have food. I don't remember if it's any good. I figured maybe y'all'd just drink your lunch.

https://www.theyankeestavern.com/

• 4 months later...
On 6/18/2021 at 6:03 PM, BottleRocket said:

I love Waffle House and initially thought that this is no punishment and that 12 waffles would be a piece of cake until I remembered this drinking game a girl in college had me play which had one simple rule - take 1 shot of beer every 60 seconds until you have to stop. Sounds amazingly simple until you try and do it.

a beer every 12 minutes?  Yeah, that's a pretty brisk pace.

14 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

God bless America …

BAEE3192-2356-4D97-81E7-3DA47ED2AC51.jpeg

Looking at that menu reminded me of a couple of things, at least from our local Waffle House:  like most everything else, prices have gone up considerably, and...the portion sizes are significantly smaller (waffles smaller in diameter, the bowls at the top are smaller w/less product, etc).

Couple of months ago wife and kids and wanted it for dinner, and it was over $50 with tip.  I'm not complaining about the cost, but....dropping $50 at a Waffle House for 4 people isn't something I've ever done before, or ever expected to do.

• Hook 'Em 1

Yeah, $50 for 4 people at a waffle house? Thanks a lot Obama! 

In my most drunken stupor where I way over-ordered for the wife and I or a friend and I...I don't think I ever spent more than $8/person with tax and tip and coffee.  Sign of the times I guess.  I'm sure some PE firm somewhere is realizing that Waffle House is over-pricing itself, plus the increasing pad site rents....and they'll launch a new "value-friendly" version of Waffle House to compete in more "redneck-on-a-budget" secondary and tertiary markets.  Like they did with Dollar General/Dollar Tree/Family Dollar.

Ladies & Gentlemen...I give you:

The Waffle Duplex 

I love Waffle House and initially thought that this is no punishment and that 12 waffles would be a piece of cake until I remembered this drinking game a girl in college had me play which had one simple rule - take 1 shot of beer every 60 seconds until you have to stop. Sounds amazingly simple until you try and do it.

The exclusive “Century Club” when you complete 100 minutes.  Like you said, sounds easy until you get to those last 15 minutes or so.  It’s basically drinking a 12 pack in 1 hr 40 minutes.  Good luck considering you don’t really have time to take a leak or risk trying to burp out all that carbonation. 

Another version we did back in college was 100 beers in a weekend (Thur - Sun). I lost feeling in the fingers on my left hand for three days after doing that version.  Fucking miserable.

That was a fraternity event known as "chug and blow."  Keg cup a minute until you puked, and then you were out.  A keg cup is a bit more than a "shot," but it's not a 12 oz beer either.  Surprisingly challenging.  I went 18 minutes, when the 18th cup of beer went down, had no place to go, and came back up with the other 17.  Didn't even catch much of a buzz.

Winners went 30 minutes or so, and that was getting to be dangerous.

Yeah, I wanted something quick…easy on and off of I-10. And I wanted coffee and breakfast. That was the first time I had been through there in over 10 years so I have no idea where the best local places are and didn’t care to take the time to find them.

1 hour ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

The exclusive “Century Club” when you complete 100 minutes.  Like you said, sounds easy until you get to those last 15 minutes or so.  It’s basically drinking a 12 pack in 1 hr 40 minutes.  Good luck considering you don’t really have time to take a leak or risk trying to burp out all that carbonation. 

Another version we did back in college was 100 beers in a weekend (Thur - Sun). I lost feeling in the fingers on my left hand for three days after doing that version.  Fucking miserable.

You have got to tell this story. How did drinking 100 beers over 3 days cause a pinched nerve.

1 hour ago, TurkeyChew said:

You have got to tell this story. How did drinking 100 beers over 3 days cause a pinched nerve.

I wish there was some great story to tell, but there isn't; unless it was due to something happening while I was blackout drunk.  I woke up Monday morning and couldn't feel my fingers.  That's all the details I remember.

2 hours ago, SimonBolivar said:

I've never been to a Waffle House but is that $4.25 for one single waffle with no toppings? What is this the Waldorf Astoria?

Holy hell, IHOP's website is telling me that their waffles are $7.99 each.

My 6yo saw this ad about "make your own spooky pancake" at iHOP in October.  I despise the place, but hey---it's a holiday.  I take her there because if you dine in, it's free.  It's jam-packed and not a single mask in the place.  So I place the order to-go and have a coffee outside while I wait.  One pancake, granted with fruit fixin's, and my coffee---$9.50.  One fucking pancake and a shitty coffee, $11 with tax and tip.  

I bag on chains and people push back, "Look man, it's trendy to make fun of Chili's or iHOP or Cracker Barrel or Golden Corral, but that's where working families go to get a good meal on the cheap.  You're out of touch."  Bull-fucking-shit.....$12-$15/person for breakfast at iHOP with beverage and tip.  That's not a "value" for working families, that's a fucking ruse.  Just because the place is filthy doesn't mean it's a good deal for your wallet.  Sure as fuck ain't worth protesting at the Capitol over, "Open up Texas so we can get us some Golden Corral!"  Those places are just as expensive as the mom 'n pop places, they just fool their customer base into thinking it's cheap...granted they do serve humongous portions.  /rant

Having said that, I'd tear up some Waffle House right about now.  I've driven by the one by the airport hundreds of times and never stopped.  I guess 'cause I'm afraid to shit in the sky.

9 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Having said that, I'd tear up some Waffle House right about now.  I've driven by the one by the airport hundreds of times and never stopped.  I guess 'cause I'm afraid to shit in the sky.

See, what you need to do is go to Waffle House with a PURPOSE.  Not on the way to something, but as your destination.  I'll meet you there for a "breakfast meeting" one day.  That way, we can enjoy the experience, and even expense it.  Pretty sure my accounting folks aren't going to flinch at a $15 reimbursement (because fuck yeah I'm ordering multiple items).

I guess every time I've eaten at one, I've been on the way back to Austin or something.  I would like to sit and enjoy it and have a few items.  

I'm close to the one at 290/35 frequently, love to grab a late breakfast one day.  No need to expense it, I'd hate to have to testify at your disbarment hearing for tax fraud. 

"And Mr. Lobo, it was at this time in the non-legal meeting that Mr. Brisket recused himself to the restroom to quote, 'Make some more room for another round of Texas Melts'.???"  

23 minutes ago, Lobo said:

I guess every time I've eaten at one, I've been on the way back to Austin or something.  I would like to sit and enjoy it and have a few items.  

I'm close to the one at 290/35 frequently, love to grab a late breakfast one day.  No need to expense it, I'd hate to have to testify at your disbarment hearing for tax fraud. 

"And Mr. Lobo, it was at this time in the non-legal meeting that Mr. Brisket recused himself to the restroom to quote, 'Make some more room for another round of Texas Melts'.???"  

My fellow members of the bar would know that action alone -- taking a massive dump  -- qualifies as top-tier "legal work."  I get some of my best strategizing done on the crapper.