Game 10: Horns vs Hoos - Omaha Elimination Edition

Pimphand

No man, you're thinking of Hooton.  But yeah man, he don't pitch here no more.  

I think UVA throws Vasil.  I think we throw Hansen.  Didn't realize until gleaning over their scouting report, UVA likes to run and they field well.  They hit fairly well, singles and doubles team.  Don't particularly walk much (less than 4/9inn) nor strike out much (less than 7/9inn).  They make use of contact, no wasted outs, bunting/sacrifices, and just move guys in.  Few mental mistakes in terms of defense and baserunning.  

But it's all about their staff tomorrow night.  It's already gassed.  We need to give Hansen an early lead and let him coast and then use lesser-utilized bullpen guys before letting Quintanilla/Nixon get a few pitches.  Gotta smash the Hoos early and Hansen coast.  We can't look ahead, I get it.  But we are staring down the barrel of a pitching war of attrition with Miss. State this weekend.  We're probably not gonna get another Witt-like performance outta the 'pen, nor should we expect it.  We need to smash 10-3 tomorrow.  The "well, they're young so Quintanilla and Nixon can throw an 1.0+ innings each Thursday, Friday, and Saturday all in a row" mentality is not wise.  

All that to say, it'd be nice if the middle of our lineup did middle of the lineup shit, and soon! 

Careful what you wish for.  The way the pitching looks for the last three teams in our bracket...we're taking Miss. State to Saturday night.  Gonna be a nail-biting 52 hours. 

17 minutes ago, brojangles2 said:

I am anxious. Days off are great, and very necessary, but shit it gets me antsy. 

Well today is the last one you get for a bit well hopefully anyways.   In the meantime root for Tree to demolish the whistler.

• Hook 'Em 1

50 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Yeah it would be really nice if Zach and Ivan got off the schneid

it truly is amazing we are here with our 3-4 doing pretty much jack squat for a month.  if they would just get back to being somewhat good we can take this thing.

bottom of the order and Antico have been doing massive work.

• Hook 'Em 2

53 minutes ago, brojangles2 said:

I am anxious. Days off are great, and very necessary, but shit it gets me antsy. 

I do miss the days of the 8 team double elimination CWS.  was just awesome from a pure baseball perspective.  I always felt confident because we usually had pretty deep pitching.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Huh? Zubia was awesome in the regionals and supers. 

if you remove the Southern game, he's 3 for 26 with 6 RBI's and 2 walks since regionals started.  He did have a few timely hits and sac's for RBI. In the last 2 months is average has dropped almost 40 points.  He plays a damn good 1B.

He's been better than Ivan.

I expect more out of that part of the lineup.  we need them to be much better to win this.

1 hour ago, CDAK said:

Assuming a close game, I think ideally it's Hansen for 4-5, Quintanilla for 2-4, and Nixon for 1-2. But if Hansen is cruising and able to go longer, great.

Hansen goes for as long as he can. We need somebody in the bullpen to back up Madden on Friday if we win.

Obviously if Hansen struggles then it is no tomorrow, all hands on deck.

9 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

if you remove the Southern game, he's 3 for 26 with 6 RBI's and 2 walks since regionals started.  He did have a few timely hits and sac's for RBI. In the last 2 months is average has dropped almost 40 points.  He plays a damn good 1B.

He's been better than Ivan.

I expect more out of that part of the lineup.  we need them to be much better to win this.

8 minutes ago, dieucla98 said:

No he wasn't.  He's had 6 hits in the regionals and supers. Three of those were against Southern in the first game. Hugely underwhelming for your #3.

My memory deceives me then. Thanks for the correction.

So yeah, get your shit together, Zubia.

• Hook 'Em 2

40 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

it truly is amazing we are here with our 3-4 doing pretty much jack squat for a month.  if they would just get back to being somewhat good we can take this thing.

bottom of the order and Antico have been doing massive work.

Melendez seems to be doing better in his approach and is getting some nice ABs in Omaha. No homers though.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Melendez seems to be doing better in his approach and is getting some nice ABs in Omaha. No homers though.

He's been close to a few dingers though. His contact is still dangerous. Just needs a tweak here and there. 

46 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

I do miss the days of the 8 team double elimination CWS.  was just awesome from a pure baseball perspective.  I always felt confident because we usually had pretty deep pitching.

Same here.   The 6-team double elimination regionals followed by the 8-team double elimination CWS were brutal on pitching staffs, and so much fun for fans.  

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, utee94 said:

Same here.   The 6-team double elimination regionals followed by the 8-team double elimination CWS were brutal on pitching staffs, and so much fun for fans.  

Yeah but everybody gets pissy now when you have your ace throw 138 pitches on two days rest. Times were different back then.

2 minutes ago, utee94 said:

yep the 6 team regionals in Austin were fucking crazy.  games all the time. elimination games everywhere.  teams working johnny allstaff to the bone.  good damn times.

• Hook 'Em 4

3 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Seems like you'd always see some directional state school in the regional playing their 4th game in 3 days throw their backup short stop for a few innings. 

• Hook 'Em 3

5 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

Seems like you'd always see some directional state school in the regional playing their 4th game in 3 days throw their backup short stop for a few innings. 

Tangent - what do we think Faltine clocks on a fastball? 92?

6 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

the scores in the mid to later games of the 6 team regionals were crazy especially with the juiced bats. 16-11, 14-12, 13-10 type stuff on the reg.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Tangent - what do we think Faltine clocks on a fastball? 92?

he's probably upper 80's.  our good pitchers throw 93 but 5MPH is probably due to form.  I do know I don't want to find out.

aside - I think Cam can throw harder but he might kill someone if we put him on the mound.

2 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

Two walks drawn by Ivan showed he had much better plate discipline. 

Which is fucking odd. Zubia has been the king at working walks all season. Not exactly what I had in mind from a giant like him, but I’ll take it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Should Texas survive to Wednesday of the final series, because of our Sunday night start...we will had to have played 8 games in less than 11 days.  Not as intensive as the old days, but a pretty challenging slate that I believe we are built for.  

Much as we've seen clutch performances from Kennedy and Ardoin so far...I think you're going to see guys like Kubichek and Gordon come up big for us on the mound at some point this 3-day weekend (Thu-Sat).  Some garbage pitcher for UVA or MSU is gonna come up clutch for them as well sometime soon, but I think we outlast them.  I have a very strong feeling, I will see many of you on a nerve-rattled, beer soaked thread on Saturday night as we try to will Texas into the finals.  But lotsa baseball and beer before that.  Just looking again at UVA pitching, we're not gonna be able to rely on errors/walks/miscues/bad catchers shit tomorrow night, we just gotta jump on the ball and get out to an early lead, 6-2 type of shit and let Hansen coast.  We win 10-3.  

Just now, Fletch said:

Which is fucking odd. Zubia has been the king at working walks all season. Not exactly what I had in mind from a giant like him, but I’ll take it. 

yep but I haven't seen Zubia swinging at horrible pitches a bunch.  its hard to discern plate discipline from just the number of walks in a particular game.  a lot of it has to do with the types of pitches you get.

Ivan has been fouling off some good pitches.  he might be close but we need better than close. the 11 pitch AB for a single gives me hope.

• Hook 'Em 2

Female offspring and son in law are both UVA grads.  She picked UVA over Texas, Berkeley and several others.  Can't say as I blame her.

I'll be rooting for the Horns but will then root for the Hoos should we fall on the battlefield.

Edited by smwhorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

Well you raised her right to value education and finding a good life partner.  Nothing but honor in selecting UVA over Texas.

That said, tell her and your SIL to get ready to cry for their alma mater, and in a shameful way.  We're beating the living shit outta UVA tomorrow.  

Their pitching is about as effective as a drunken sea bass.  Fuck the Cavs! 

11 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

yep but I haven't seen Zubia swinging at horrible pitches a bunch.  its hard to discern plate discipline from just the number of walks in a particular game.  a lot of it has to do with the types of pitches you get.

Ivan has been fouling off some good pitches.  he might be close but we need better than close. the 11 pitch AB for a single gives me hope.

Ivan not swinging at unhittable balls is definitely an improvement in plate discipline for him. That's the only way he gets any walks, and would have been impossible for him a few games ago when he was swinging away at balls in the dirt. Hopefully he continues this positive trend.  

As to Zubia. he had what, 3 long fly outs yesterday? He seemed to be hitting the ball pretty well so hopefully he breaks out of his slump tomorrow.  

• immamac changed the title to Game 10: Horns vs Hoos - Omaha Elimination Edition