The 01-06-21 Select Committee Thread

Satchel

this should be good news... but you know there will just be a ton of stonewalling and it will be painted on the right as a witchhunt and sore feelings out to get even with Trump.

nevermind Benghazi, Whitewater, etc...🙄

the Dems need to play this correctly in the court of public opinion, stay in front of messaging and stay laser focused, get this done quickly, the farther in the past it is the more the Reps will be able to turn it into 'a tourist visit'.

which means they won't do any of that and 'wasting time and money on a witchhunt!' will be the #1 R rallying cry in 2022 🙄😝

I read today that Republicans were being advised to ask for a re-vote on the external investigation because Democrats will hang them out to dry in the Select Committee. Republicans got a little too cute for their own good.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Satchel said:

I read today that Republicans were being advised to ask for a re-vote on the external investigation because Democrats will hang them out to dry in the Select Committee.

tenor.gif

Republicans got a little too cute for their own good.

GIF jack nicholson - animated GIF on GIFER

43 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

nah, fuck em. they had their chance. they thought they could hide (and they still may be able to). but I don't think they all will be able to. 

I don't have high hopes for the Dominion lawsuit outcome, but if Dominion makes headway on that, it would be nice if more and more of the Big Lie exposure could be revealed. That is what Ted Cruz and the others were all promoting from the outset.

• Hook 'Em 1

Start by investigating the loyalists Trump installed in the military after losing the election. And keep the stories of the prosecutions and convictions of insurrectionists in the news. Maybe some of them will tell us about support given to them by Congressional Republicans. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

So what are the rules of the selection of the Commission?

Sounds like its Pelosi's decision for the Dems and McCarthy's for the GQP IF they decide to participate.

I've said it before, Pelosi should stick it to McCarthy and appoint one or two of Adam Kinzinger, Liz Cheney and Peter Meijer.  There's a handful (A SMALL HANDFUL) of GQP who I think would legitimately be serious about this commission and its findings.  Those 3 have been especially outspoken. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 6/24/2021 at 5:53 PM, WhatTheBuck said:

Start by investigating the loyalists Trump installed in the military after losing the election. And keep the stories of the prosecutions and convictions of insurrectionists in the news. Maybe some of them will tell us about support given to them by Congressional Republicans. 

There were some Pentagon civilians fired in December for seemly no apparent reason.  I didn't have "not coming to the aid of the Capitol Police" on my bingo card.

• Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

Guess it means Pelosi can veto someone like One Eyed Dan or Gaetz or Gym Jordan

So McCarthy can decide to put some "serious" Republicans on the committee or go with douchy shenanigans guys.  

4 hours ago, Bullneck said:

There were some Pentagon civilians fired in December for seemly no apparent reason.  I didn't have "not coming to the aid of the Capitol Police" on my bingo card.

Yeah, it’s hard to imagine that there’s no connection there. Coincidences happen but not nearly as often as people think they do. Occam’s Razor says it’s all connected with one goal in mind - to execute a coup d’etat and subvert American constitutional democracy. Everyone involved should hang. They’re all traitors and enemies of the state. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

One thing about this investigation that differs from many of the Trump era.

The "witnesses" that will be subpoenaed, in many if not most cases, will be civilians, other congressmen, and former executive branch officials.  Very few of them will be able to resist House subpoenas in the way that Trump administration officials did.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

The "witnesses" that will be subpoenaed, in many if not most cases, will be civilians, other congressmen, and former executive branch officials.  Very few of them will be able to resist House subpoenas in the way that Trump administration officials did.

That's not gonna stop the legal maneuvering from getting into "that's never been tried before" territory. I'm not into the wonky nuts-and-bolts of it like I might have been back when I was in college and didn't have to provide for a family, but for those who are, this should make for some pretty damned interesting TV.

11 hours ago, Satchel said:

If the Dems do this right, they could pick up seats in both chambers in ‘22.

disagree.  this is another witch hunt and waste of time.  nothing will come of this.   i would like to see more justice done to those that breached the capitol, and i would like to have seen the conservatives take more ownership and accountability for this, but that aint happening.  this event is not sticking to them like it should and that's a shame.  

13 hours ago, Bullneck said:

So McCarthy can decide to put some "serious" Republicans on the committee or go with douchy shenanigans guys.  

Yep.  Nancy can veto any of his picks.  Nancy's 5 preferred GOP members should be: 

Liz Cheney 
Adam Kinzinger
Fred Upton 
Peter Meijer
John Katko

She should veto anyone else. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

Yep.  Nancy can veto any of his picks.  Nancy's 5 preferred GOP members should be: 

Liz Cheney 
Adam Kinzinger
Fred Upton 
Peter Meijer
John Katko

She should veto anyone else. 

She should for damned sure veto anybody who voted against the bipartisan committee proposal. If they aren't invested in the idea to start with, then fuck right off.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

She should for damned sure veto anybody who voted against the bipartisan committee proposal. If they aren't invested in the idea to start with, then fuck right off.

That's only 10.  I picked my 5 bc Liz Cheney has an axe to grind (and seems to care about the truth), Kinzinger/Meijer are not awful and also the most outspoken, Katko is a former prosecutor, so I like his background and Upton is a friend of Biden's. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, thrillhammer said:

disagree.  this is another witch hunt and waste of time.  nothing will come of this.   i would like to see more justice done to those that breached the capitol, and i would like to have seen the conservatives take more ownership and accountability for this, but that aint happening.  this event is not sticking to them like it should and that's a shame.  

The insurrection deniers are in a pickle. If they insist on obstructing the work of the investigation, they run the risk of extending it right into the run up of the mid terms. 
Hillary’s favorability rating was in the 70’s at one point. Then the Republicans smeared her with Benghazi. Most Americans won’t be kindly disposed toward a party whose leaders facilitated 01.06.21, especially on continuing video loops of their destruction.

Hillary’s favorability rating was in the 70’s at one point. Then the Republicans smeared her with Benghazi. Most Americans won’t be kindly disposed toward a party whose leaders facilitated 01.06.21, especially on continuing video loops of their destruction.

Just keep running ads with them assaulting police officers.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

Just keep running ads with them assaulting police officers.

Somebody is going to come up with a clip of Trump’s comments as he watched his work unfold on TV. The Republicans can run but they won’t be able to hide.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, thrillhammer said:

I guess we should just do nothing! 

34 minutes ago, Satchel said:

If we do nothing, this will be viewed as a dry run for the real thing. The insurrectionists and their leaders must be held accountable for their actions.

If it's Antifa who went undercover, I should think the Republicans would be all over this and screaming that the hearings must start now!

• Like 1

So I hope for the best on this but my expectations are low.  Democrats have a real hard time controlling the narratives or going on offense in information spaces and Republicans are exceptional at distorting reality to suite their interests. 

The corporate media establishment nor the Biden administration are going to do us many favors here either. Trump literally organized and mobilized an attack on Congress in broad daylight, while they were certifying an election and people were murdered. I don’t know how the government maintains credibility without using its authority to punish Trump and his co-conspirators. But at least they’re going to try I guess. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

10 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

What a shithead.  Seriously, McCarthy needs to go.

Well, there's a pretty decent chance that if the committee does their work, he will, so there's that. And don't think Liz Cheney et al. isn't/aren't calculating those odds.

• Hook 'Em 1