The 01-06-21 Select Committee Thread

Satchel

2 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

So is CNN.  I don't want to hear it again.  It's so horrible.  These are human fucking beings man.  How can people be so heartless?

Because TFG made it ok.  Look, it isn't like there are more racists out there.  They were always there.  There was just a think veneer of civility that had been maintained.  TFG basically gave them cover to be complete pieces of shit.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

6 hours ago, Captainant said:

jesus fucking christ, trumpists calling Officer Dunn a n****r and chanting it at him while beating him as he defended our democracy. He also testified that other black officers were called it and one even was told "put your gun down and we'll show you how well we treat n****rs" inside the rotunda

Evil fucking white supremacists. Fuck all you fascist, racist, evil souls. And anyone who believes one iota of the sToP tHe StEaL lie.

This was published on Jan. 9:

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/amphtml/emmanuelfelton/black-capitol-police-racism-mob

Management’s inaction left Black police officers especially vulnerable to a mob that had been whipped up by President Donald Trump, a man who has a record of inspiring racist vigilantes to action. One of the most defining videos of that day was of one of their colleagues, another Black officer, trying in vain to hold back the tide of rioters who had broken into the building and were hunting for Congressional members.

BuzzFeed News spoke to two Black officers who described a harrowing day in which they were forced to endure racist abuse — including repeatedly being called the n-word — as they tried to do their job of protecting the Capitol building, and by extension the very functioning of American democracy. The officers said they were wrong-footed, fighting off an invading force that their managers had downplayed and not prepared them for. They had all been issued gas masks, for example, but management didn’t tell them to bring them in on the day. Capitol Police did not respond to BuzzFeed News’ request for comment about the allegations made by officers.

While it was a hard day for almost every officer at the Capitol, Black officers were in a particularly difficult position, he said, and he drew a stark contrast with how police handled the Black Lives Matter protests this summer.

“There’s quite a big difference when the Black Lives Matter protests come up to the Capitol,” he said. “[On Wednesday], some officers were catering to the rioters.”

He said that what upset him the most was when he later saw images of a white colleague taking a selfie with the attackers, seeming to enjoy his time with the insurrectionists who were roaming the US Capitol with Confederate flags and other symbols of white supremacy.

“That one hurt me the most because I was on the other side of the Capitol getting my ass kicked,” he said.

He is certain that if a group of Black Americans had stormed the Capitol, they wouldn’t have gotten that kind of friendly reception from his white colleagues.

“If you’re going to treat a group of demonstrators for Black Lives Matters one way, then you should treat this group the same goddamn way. With this group you were being kind and nice and letting them walk back out. Some of them got arrested but a lot of them didn’t. Everyone who came into that Capitol should have been arrested regardless if they didn’t take anything.”

The older Black officer didn’t think it was a simple case of treating the rioters differently from BLM protesters, but instead part of a bigger issue with how the agency is managed.

“Our chief was nowhere to be found, I didn’t hear him on the radio. One of our other deputy chiefs was not there,” he said. “You don’t think it’s all hands on deck?”

(...)

At the end of the night, after the crowds had been dispersed and Congress got back to the business of certifying president-elect Joe Biden’s victory, the veteran officer was overwhelmed with emotion, and broke down in the Rotunda.

“I sat down with one of my buddies, another Black guy, and tears just started streaming down my face,” he said. “I said, ‘What the fuck, man? Is this America? What the fuck just happened? I’m so sick and tired of this shit.’”

Soon he was screaming, so that everyone in the Rotunda, including his white colleagues, could hear what he had just gone through.

“These are racist-ass terrorists,” he yelled out.

In the seven years since Black Lives Matter has become a rallying cry, the image of a white cop deciding how and when to enforce law and order has become ubiquitous. On Wednesday, Americans saw something different, as Black officers tried to do the same, as they attempted to protect the very heart of American democracy. And instead of being honored by the supporters of a man who likes to call himself the “law and order” president, Black Capitol officers found themselves under attack.

“I got called a nigger 15 times today,” the veteran officer shouted in the Rotunda to no one in particular. “Trump did this and we got all of these fucking people in our department that voted for him. How the fuck can you support him?”

“I cried for about 15 minutes and I just let it out.”

6 hours ago, Chuckie Finster said:

"There was not an attack on 1/6, it was basically a tourist visit."

"Nancy Pelosi is responsible for the horrible attack on 1/6."

It’s like the Arabs who blamed the Jews for 9/11 while at the same time they were congratulating Osama bin Laden for his victory. 

Edited by WhatTheBuck
  • Hook 'Em 5

6 hours ago, Orale said:

I get that answer, but I doubt many of the traitors had guns for fear of federal gun charges.

I was really pissed when the officers didn't start shooting them as they raided the barriers. Shoot a couple terrorists at the main entry points and I bet they would have scrambled and fled real quick.

From early reports by Capitol police, a lot of the insurrectionists were armed. 

5 hours ago, pyrohornIII said:

I know it was probably best to have thrown Jordan off this committee, but I also think it would have been very revealing to have had him confront this directly.

He wouldn’t confront anything. He’d just scream and talk real fast and try to gum up the proceedings. His only assignment was to obstruct. 

1 hour ago, Jack Straw said:

they support crazy, evil, racism, and anti-Americanism, and are complicit by virtue of every R lever they pull.  

This cannot be stated enough.  Until the GOP is put into the ground, this needs to be hammered at all times.  There are WAY too many people who still think dotard was the problem.  They are going to go back to pulling the R lever in 2022, 2024, and, if democracy is still a thing, every election after that, until this is dealt with.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Biff Tannen said:

How?  Aren't subpoenas pretty worthless in the "court" of politics?  This isn't a criminal or civil court.

No, only against other branches of government, while governing.

That executive branch officials are no longer executive branch officials and most of this has zero to do with the deliberative process of governing from the executive branch, claims of executive privilege aren't going to go far.

The subpoenas will be mostly enforced in court.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Thanks. A good read.

What is the implication if the missing chiefs caught the blue flu during the assault on the Capitol?

Wouldn't that be a smoking gun if it leads to the prior administration?

Edited by washparkhorn

6 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

Jim Jordan's got a definite walk-up-to-you-at-the-gas-pump-and-explain: "Hey man, hate to bother you, but my car is broken down three blocks away and I just need $7.87 extra to get a new alternator, I'm just short $7.87 maaaan" vibe to him.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Years from now, right?

It will take some time, but not near as much as Trump's opposition while in office and trying to get to the Supreme Court, which owed him, by the way.

Also, because DOJ is not going to take a position or defend the deponents, they'll have to do it on their own dime.  Which is going to get expensive.

9 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Good lord, this thread.
“If you didn’t know the footage was from September 11, you would actually think it was a normal flight.”
-Andrew Clyde, probably

He’s playing games by parsing the footage beyond any context. Hey if you look at that 5 seconds of footage and nothing else, you might think it was a normal day in the Capitol!

8 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

He’s playing games by parsing the footage beyond any context. Hey if you look at that 5 seconds of footage and nothing else, you might think it was a normal day in the Capitol!

Cherry picking the insurrection video the same way they do their climate science. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

This cannot be stated enough.  Until the GOP is put into the ground, this needs to be hammered at all times.  There are WAY too many people who still think dotard was the problem.  They are going to go back to pulling the R lever in 2022, 2024, and, if democracy is still a thing, every election after that, until this is dealt with.

I feel like I am a fairly forgiving human being and that we should attempt to help as many of these folks as is possible, but I adamantly support the dismantling of their party. It is hateful to its core and is filling the heads of its supporters with lie after lie after lie. The human cost of this is still coming and we should be trying to head this off now as a society. Well the part of society not taken into this death cult. We have not even scratched the surface of the mental damage being done here to the cult members as well as the people who are victims of both physical and verbal assaults that are continuing to occur.

It hurts to see millions of people blindly going down the path of hate, racism and white nationalism, not to even mention the overall tone of fascism, without even thinking about or completely understanding the consequences of such horrific beliefs. I am for free speech, but not hate speech and definitely not a party whose core is motivated by the hatred of others that are treated as being less than human because of their skin color or where they are from. 

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, UpperWestside said:

I feel like I am a fairly forgiving human being and that we should attempt to help as many of these folks as is possible, but I adamantly support the dismantling of their party. It is hateful to its core and is filling the heads of its supporters with lie after lie after lie. The human cost of this is still coming and we should be trying to head this off now as a society. Well the part of society not taken into this death cult. We have not even scratched the surface of the mental damage being done here to the cult members as well as the people who are victims of both physical and verbal assaults that are continuing to occur.

It hurts to see millions of people blindly going down the path of hate, racism and white nationalism, not to even mention the overall tone of fascism, without even thinking about or completely understanding the consequences of such horrific beliefs. I am for free speech, but not hate speech and definitely not a party whose core is motivated by the hatred of others that are treated as being less than human because of their skin color or where they are from. 

This. It’s not about revenge or spite. Well, ok, maybe a little, but really it’s what has to be done to continue the American experiment. This is the biggest test we’ve ever had, aside from the civil war. 

• Hook 'Em 4

7 hours ago, wildcat09 said:

Congressional subpoenas are enforceable through both criminal and civil courts. Because of separation of powers concerns, it's easier for a member of the executive branch to refuse to comply and get away with it, but it's a lot harder for private citizens. 

This and Congress has enforcement thingys in its quiver.

Hey remember that time America elected a failed businessman President of the United States, then he lost re-election but he told his supporters otherwise, then a bunch of them got all riled up and violently stormed the U.S. Capitol while Congress was in session, then Republicans pretended that it didn't happen?

• Rage+1 3

Everyone should remember that the DT crowd supports this shit, or at the very least tolerates it, because evil libs want to teach their kids about the Tulsa massacre, or because they saw a video online of a black person shoplifting from a CVS, etc. That's why they'll support mass murder. Because they're little bitchmade snowflakes. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 4
  • Rage+1 1