The 01-06-21 Select Committee Thread

Satchel

3 hours ago, NameAlreadyInUse said:

Yep.  Need more than that.  Had a conversation with my mom about it last week.  "But the police let all those people in, I don't know what they were doing wrong."  People on the right are choosing not to see the stuff that would show them that anything nefarious happened.  

We also talked about the crazies arming themselves because the dems are getting ready to outlaw all guns.  Her response, "Well not yet."  So it doesn't matter what the Dems actually say about the 2nd amendment.  

Reality is no longer a factor to those on the right.  They are going to believe what they believe and they are going to ignore any evidence that tells them maybe they shouldn't believe it.

I told her that being duped into believing something is fine and is no stain on her, as long as she quits believing it when presented with information that she was duped.  After that, it's 100% on her if she keeps believing nonsense.  I expect her to keep believing nonsense.

We might be related.

This thing was planned to the T:

At that moment, Pence was still in his ceremonial office — protected by Secret Service agents, but vulnerable because the second-floor office had windows that could be breached and the intruding thugs had gained control of the building. Tim Giebels, the lead special agent in charge of the vice president’s protective detail, twice asked Pence to evacuate the Capitol, but Pence refused. “I’m not leaving the Capitol,” he told Giebels. The last thing the vice president wanted was the people attacking the Capitol to see his 20-car motorcade fleeing. That would only vindicate their insurrection.
At 2:26, after a team of agents scouted a safe path to ensure the Pences would not encounter trouble, Giebels and the rest of Pence’s detail guided them down a staircase to a secure subterranean area that rioters couldn’t reach, where the vice president’s armored limousine awaited. Giebels asked Pence to get in one of the vehicles. “We can hold here,” he said.
“I’m not getting in the car, Tim,” Pence replied. “I trust you, Tim, but you’re not driving the car. If I get in that vehicle, you guys are taking off. I’m not getting in the car.”
Around this time, [Pence’s national security advisor Keith] Kellogg ran into Tony Ornato in the West Wing. Ornato, who oversaw Secret Service movements, told him that Pence’s detail was planning to move the vice president to Joint Base Andrews. “You can’t do that, Tony,” Kellogg said. “Leave him where he’s at. He’s got a job to do. I know you guys too well. You’ll fly him to Alaska if you have a chance. Don’t do it.”
Pence had made clear to Giebels the level of his determination and Kellogg said there was no changing it. “He’s going to stay there,” Kellogg told Ornato. “If he has to wait there all night, he’s going to do it.” Ornato, through a spokesman, denied having this conversation
Speaking about the threats to Pence on Jan. 6 and the chants by rioters to hang him, Raskin said the vice president's Secret Service agents — including one who was carrying the nuclear football — ran down to an undisclosed place in the Capitol. Those agents, who Raskin said he suspects were reporting to Trump’s Secret Service agents, were trying to whisk Pence away from the Capitol. Pence then "uttered what I think are the six most chilling words of this entire thing I've seen so far: 'I'm not getting in that car,'" Raskin said. "He knew exactly what this inside coup they had planned for was going to do," Raskin said
https://www.esquire.com/news-politics/politics/a39814795/mike-pence-january-6-jamie-raskin-secret-service/
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3
  • Rage+1 1

21 hours ago, Satchel said:

Raskin is promising must see TV, come June. I think the committee will deliver. I can’t wait to learn more about the allegation of Pence’s key card being canceled, the alleged secret collusion between Pence’s and Trump’s SS teams that intended to make Pence unavailable for the vote certification, and the degree to which Grassley was involved. 

Should be fun.

What happens in June?  I haven't been following this closely but it's taken so long now that I wonder if they won't (or shouldn't) just wait for maximum impact on the midterms.

1 hour ago, WBT said:

What happens in June?  I haven't been following this closely but it's taken so long now that I wonder if they won't (or shouldn't) just wait for maximum impact on the midterms.

House J6 Committee will hold televised hearings during which the entire plot to destroy American democracy will be divulged.

4 minutes ago, Satchel said:

I never thought I’d be living in an America where the duly elected VPOTUS was afraid to get in his limo for fear of being made “unavailable.”

We went from Shining City on a Hill to banana republic in about 40 years.

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

6 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

My only hope is that those who haven't been following will see it all this summer/fall and vote against the Rs in the midterms.  And I'm now opening another beer.

I never, ever discuss politics for any reason in real life. Ever. The only time I've ever openly broadcast which way I lean is when I bought a "Four Seasons Landscaping" T-shirt. It was too hilarious to pass up. But it's been completely ruined for me. The people who I most want to "jab" with it have absolutely no idea what it's referencing. Not a clue.

Point being: none of this stuff is going to make it into their informational orbit. Ain't happening.

• Rage+1 3

1 hour ago, aggie08 said:

I never, ever discuss politics for any reason in real life. Ever. The only time I've ever openly broadcast which way I lean is when I bought a "Four Seasons Landscaping" T-shirt. It was too hilarious to pass up. But it's been completely ruined for me. The people who I most want to "jab" with it have absolutely no idea what it's referencing. Not a clue.

Point being: none of this stuff is going to make it into their informational orbit. Ain't happening.

But boy howdy will they know every little detail about Hunter Biden

7 hours ago, Jive Turkey said:

Mike fucking Pence saved our democracy.  at least for 4 years.  

it was good while it lasted.

And he’s too much of a fucking coward to own it and speak out against Trump’s attempted coup. Even though his own fucking life was on the line. He thinks that if he whitewashes it he might still have a future in politics. (He doesn’t.) He’s a huge piece of shit whose greatest claim to fame is that for one moment in his life he did the right thing. And he actually took advice from the paradigm of dumbfuck Vice Presidents Dan Quayle, a guy so stupid he couldn’t spell potato. (Is potato.)

Its such a sorry state of affairs when the Republican race to the bottom keeps making really shitty Republicans look sort of decent by comparison. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

6 hours ago, aggie08 said:

not entirely true. the nonsensical grandstanding by whatever redhat is allowed to speak will make it onto fox news or oan and that will tell them the story they need to hear. 

and if the right ones aren’t allowed to speak, they’ll be twice as loud someplace else. count on it. 

• Rage+1 1

11 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

My only hope is that those who haven't been following will see it all this summer/fall and vote against the Rs in the midterms.  And I'm now opening another beer.

Damn, I get to say this twice in 24 hours....

Hope into on hand and shit into the other and see which one fills up faster.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Some fairly masterful spin on the ramblings of a psychopath.

I don't know what he's being charged with and I know nothing about him, but just based on that quote I don't think he's a psychopath. For one thing, I think a psychopath would've known to lie there. But more importantly, psychopathy isn't a necessary condition to get caught up in cults, conspiracy theories, or mob violence. Plenty of people who were there that day and were capable of horrific violence weren't psychopaths and you underestimate the danger this movement poses if you think only psychopaths are capable of carrying out violence in its name. 

It's comforting to think that only a psychopath could commit what appears to us to be senseless violence.  But that's not the case.  The overwhelming majority of nazi soldiers who carried out the holocaust weren't psychopaths. A major reason they even started using gas chambers was because their soldiers were having mental/emotional breakdowns after executing hundreds of civilians. They knew what they were doing was wrong and still did it. You can say the same about members of any group that has carried out mass murder. Some individuals within those groups may be psychopaths, but most of the members are not. They'll join a group like that thinking they're fighting for a just cause and they'll rationalize every heinous act they take as necessary to achieve their just cause.

If all we were dealing with were psychopaths, I wouldn't be remotely worried. Psychopaths don't rationalize anything because they don't need to. It's when people start peddling blood libels and other dehumanizing rhetoric to gin up non-psychopaths into a murderous frenzy that we need to worry. And that shit is being blasted at full volume from the right pretty much every day now.

• Hook 'Em 5

Lawyer:  my client should b commended for admitting that he probably would have assaulted or killed US senator Mitt Romney had he found him on the day in question.  Instead, he’s being punished for illegally entering the Capitol building and hunting but failing to find him.  

• Hook 'Em 2

On 4/20/2022 at 10:21 AM, wildcat09 said:

Has a single elected Democrat even fucking mentioned this this week?

To have hope of impact:

1. Dem calls press conference for all news outlets.
  2. News outlets show up.
  3. New editors rate the story as very important.
  4. News outlets gain access to all cable/streaming outlets who allow news bulletin.
  5. Special bulletins interrupt all singing contests, real housewives shows, and streaming comic book movies.
  6. Bulletin has to explain how government works to whomever doesn't switch over to a computer game.
  7. Finally, the bulletin passes on the very important news.
  8. No measurable impact whatsoever.

I.W.

• Rage+1 2

On 4/20/2022 at 7:34 PM, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Not the Select Committe, but Jan 6 related...

I will string up my neighbor, gut him, and eat his ass to survive. Tough guy.

I'm shit scared of prison and will abandon every belief I've ever espoused to betray my allies in saving the country. Maybe not so tough guy.

It's a shame we can't fly in some Russian dissidents from one of the old gulags to cook up some Alex ass for a banquet discussing toughness, integrity, and great sacrifice. The amputee should be kept alive to witness the discussion and learn.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 4/26/2022 at 2:20 PM, WBT said:

On 4/26/2022 at 3:35 PM, Satchel said:

House J6 Committee will hold televised hearings during which the entire plot to destroy American democracy will be divulged.

On 4/26/2022 at 10:36 PM, aggie08 said:

aggie08's answer is apt. I don't think holding any of this until closer to the midterms matters because I don't have any faith in the electorate to right the ship. 

Law enforcement is pretty much the only hope. The committee can lay out the evidence so the lazy TV news journalists will understand and have tape about the findings. Then, should prosecution be undertaken, TV will have roadmaps available to explain what law enforcement is doing.

Hoping the enthusiastically supported traitors will be punished by voters is far more vain than betting on law enforcement. I don't think the mentality that leads to people racing to post "nothing will happen" is a very healthy one. Justice is about the only viable way to head off the end of the republic. 

Beating down the expectations of the knowledgeable opposition is part of Putin's strategy for destroying Western democracy. Seed hoplessness and cynicism everywhere. It doesn't need the reinforcement of idle predictions of same. I wonder if this is part of the sports mentality where fans/posters will declare something absolutely won't happen in the future. Idle forecasts from blind prophets.

I don't find the need to predict the outcome either way. Who cares what I predict? I do feel that my attention and belief in the possibility of the right outcome actually do have a microscopic impact on reaching that outcome. It's a small thing to contribute, but it costs me nothing to do so.

If the republic goes down in flames because all of these crimes went unpunished by either the polls or law enforcement means someone here will say, "Boy, that RomaVicta is a real idiot. He didn't predict this," well, I think I'll be able to live with that.

• Hook 'Em 2