The 01-06-21 Select Committee Thread

Satchel

I was responsible for 1/6? What the hell did I do?

Failed to show up at the Capitol to shoot violent insurrectionists dead as they entered congressional chambers to overthrow our government.

Not shooting every one of them as they breached the room was a mistake. Let’s not make it again.

If they’d been Al Qaeda, we’d all support that path. Same if it’s Y’all Qaeda.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Only some misdemeanors, but still entertaining. Dude will probably get more Red votes because of this.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/06/09/us/politics/ryan-kelley-michigan-governor-arrest-jan-6.html?smid=url-share

Ryan Kelley, a Republican running for governor in Michigan who was at the Capitol during the Jan. 6 attack, was arrested at his home in Allendale, Mich., on Thursday morning, according to Mara R. Schneider, a special agent with the F.B.I.

Mr. Kelley is the first person running for election in a major state or federal race to be charged in connection with the attack.

According to a criminal complaint, Mr. Kelley was charged with committing violence against a person or property on restricted grounds, damaging federal property, disorderly conduct and entering a restricted building or grounds without permission. All four charges are misdemeanors, according to a spokesman for the United States attorney’s office in the District of Columbia.

An F.B.I. agent described Mr. Kelley’s actions in a filing to the court, saying at one point that Mr. Kelley appeared to use his phone “to film the crowd assault and pushing past U.S. Capitol police officers.” The filing also said that Mr. Kelley used “his hands to support another rioter” who was pulling down a metal barricade, and that he gestured “to the crowd, consistently indicating” that it should continue moving toward the entrance to the Capitol.

Mr. Kelley was able to be identified, in part, because what he wore on Jan. 6 was similar to the outfit he wore at the American Patriot Council “Judgement Day” rally in Lansing, Mich., in May 2020, according to the filing.

Efforts to reach Mr. Kelley and his campaign were unsuccessful. The mailbox for the telephone number listed for the campaign was full and could not accept messages.  

A man who answered the telephone listed for the campaign treasurer said, “No comment, thank you” when reached by a reporter.

The arrest comes ahead of the Republican primary on Aug. 2, in which Mr. Kelley is competing with four other candidates for the chance to face Gov. Gretchen Whitmer, a Democrat, in the general election this fall.

Mr. Kelley, a real estate broker in a suburb of Grand Rapids, was the lead organizer of an armed protest against pandemic lockdown measures at the Michigan Statehouse in April 2020. In June that year, he called together about 50 militiamen to square off against a few dozen Black Lives Matter protesters over a statue of a Confederate soldier in his town.

And after the 2020 presidential election, Mr. Kelley and militia members showed up for a rowdy protest outside a ballot-counting center in the state.

“Becoming too closely aligned with militias — is that a bad thing?” he said in an earlier interview.

Only some misdemeanors, but still entertaining. Dude will probably get more Red votes because of this.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/06/09/us/politics/ryan-kelley-michigan-governor-arrest-jan-6.html?smid=url-share
Ryan Kelley, a Republican running for governor in Michigan who was at the Capitol during the Jan. 6 attack, was arrested at his home in Allendale, Mich., on Thursday morning, according to Mara R. Schneider, a special agent with the F.B.I.

Mr. Kelley is the first person running for election in a major state or federal race to be charged in connection with the attack.

According to a criminal complaint, Mr. Kelley was charged with committing violence against a person or property on restricted grounds, damaging federal property, disorderly conduct and entering a restricted building or grounds without permission. All four charges are misdemeanors, according to a spokesman for the United States attorney’s office in the District of Columbia.

An F.B.I. agent described Mr. Kelley’s actions in a filing to the court, saying at one point that Mr. Kelley appeared to use his phone “to film the crowd assault and pushing past U.S. Capitol police officers.” The filing also said that Mr. Kelley used “his hands to support another rioter” who was pulling down a metal barricade, and that he gestured “to the crowd, consistently indicating” that it should continue moving toward the entrance to the Capitol.

Mr. Kelley was able to be identified, in part, because what he wore on Jan. 6 was similar to the outfit he wore at the American Patriot Council “Judgement Day” rally in Lansing, Mich., in May 2020, according to the filing.

Efforts to reach Mr. Kelley and his campaign were unsuccessful. The mailbox for the telephone number listed for the campaign was full and could not accept messages.  
A man who answered the telephone listed for the campaign treasurer said, “No comment, thank you” when reached by a reporter.

The arrest comes ahead of the Republican primary on Aug. 2, in which Mr. Kelley is competing with four other candidates for the chance to face Gov. Gretchen Whitmer, a Democrat, in the general election this fall.

Mr. Kelley, a real estate broker in a suburb of Grand Rapids, was the lead organizer of an armed protest against pandemic lockdown measures at the Michigan Statehouse in April 2020. In June that year, he called together about 50 militiamen to square off against a few dozen Black Lives Matter protesters over a statue of a Confederate soldier in his town.

And after the 2020 presidential election, Mr. Kelley and militia members showed up for a rowdy protest outside a ballot-counting center in the state.

“Becoming too closely aligned with militias — is that a bad thing?” he said in an earlier interview.

A real estate broker.

Of course.
  • Haha 2
  • Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Fucking idiots. The difference is that any vandalism that occurred during mostly peaceful protests over the murder of George Floyd, and the ongoing killing by police of unarmed black people, was neither directed nor encouraged by any politician. And what we’ve seen in the past has been much worse. Consider the Watts riots or the riots after the Rodney King verdict.

And a large amount of that vandalism was instigated by folks who would lean either politically right (white nationalists) or "neutral" (anarchists/libertarians)

10 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

if you don't start that shit, i will.

thoughts on bourbon options?  should i crack something good tonight, or go with an old standby?  the wife is out of town, let's get loose.

I mean, you can start with what you want, but there's a good chance that before it's over you'll have switched to paint thinner. Maybe it hurts less if we all go blind. 

14 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

thoughts on bourbon options?  should i crack something good tonight, or go with an old standby?  the wife is out of town, let's get loose.

thread created. not feeling particularly creative or novel in my approach

1 hour ago, henrygandorf said:

If I were in town I'd say open the good stuff and invite me.  But I'm not.  

Fuck it.  Let 'er rip.

SIAP. Makes me fucking ragey watching this. Legitimate political discourse my fucking ass. Must watch.

If you still support Trump or see Jan 6 as something the left dreamed up, then FUCK YOU, YOU TREASONIST BASTARD.

Fuck you for contributing to the downfall of democracy. Fuck you for being a dumb motherfucker.

• Rage+1 2

• 1 month later...
12 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

If this were a just world, we would have a gallows with like 100 nooses in a row to see them all hang at once.

If this were a just world, me and half of y'all would be in jail because of stuff we did before cell phones and social media.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Gil Bang said:

I really doubt that the Committee is threatening that, as the DC Bar has already moved to discipline him on its own motion, based on publicly available information. Not to mention the Committee lacks power to do anything but file a bar complaint, which is already in motion.

https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/22111871-report-on-jeffrey-clark

They are probably telling him that cooperation is one of the better ways to mitigate his sanctions.

Edited by TwiceHorn

If this were a just world, me and half of y'all would be in jail because of stuff we did before cell phones and social media.

I think this exact thought every time I see some impulse control challenged teen doing/saying something stupid on tik tok or the like.

Then I think we’re going to have a whole generation who’ve disqualified themselves from public office with this kind of stupidity.

Then I realize they’ve all done it, so it’s no big deal to their generation. Besides, we’re in an cesspool of a media environment of collective stupidity anyhow. What’s one stupid thing from someone’s past?

Then I finish my coffee, pet my dogs and get on with my day.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

2 hours ago, Chad Fuck said:

I think this exact thought every time I see some impulse control challenged teen doing/saying something stupid on tik tok or the like.

Then I think we’re going to have a whole generation who’ve disqualified themselves from public office with this kind of stupidity.

Then I realize they’ve all done it, so it’s no big deal to their generation. Besides, we’re in an cesspool of a media environment of collective stupidity anyhow. What’s one stupid thing from someone’s past?

Then I finish my coffee, pet my dogs and get on with my day.

I always come back to Ice-T. Literally wrote a song about killing cops called cop killer.  Did not get canceled and now plays a cop on TV.  Only in America 

26 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

I always come back to Ice-T. Literally wrote a song about killing cops called cop killer.  Did not get canceled and now plays a cop on TV.  Only in America 

Usually redemption is only allowed for white people in our society.  Ice T is an outlier.