The 01-06-21 Select Committee Thread

Satchel

7 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Here’s a new one. My FIL is pivoting to everything bad in the world is because of China. Yeah, republicans “screwed up”, but the real threat is China. Now, I’m not saying we shouldn’t be concerned about China, but he is full on hand waving away EVERYTHING other than that. God forbid he have to admit his party completely and totally fucked us six ways from Sunday the past few years, er, decades. Nope. CHINA!!!

39278cc4-c09a-48f9-bd34-649d9061e794_tex

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2
  • Drool 1

So John Oliver and others often buy regional ad space via cable companies on Fox News.  The Catheter Cowboy for example.  Why not just collect the best sound bites and pay to place ads during Fox & Friends, etc. breaks over the course of the following days?  The logistics can't be that hard.  Seems like a job for The Lincoln Project.

Edited by A-Tex Devil
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Satchel said:

We don’t have a choice but to do everything we can to break the fever. The democracy is teetering.

"teetering."  Cute.

We're Air France flight 447 at 5,000 feet above the Atlantic, plunging to its doom -- we all know what's going to happen, but it's too late to pull out of our descent.  And we have the GQP pulling back on the stick as hard as they can, making sure we stay in a deadly stall till the moment of impact. 

This is how the GQP wants the Republic to end.  If you aren't mentally prepared for the horrors that will come, you best get prepared.

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, Brisketexan said:

"teetering."  Cute.

We're Air France flight 447 at 5,000 feet above the Atlantic, plunging to its doom -- we all know what's going to happen, but it's too late to pull out of our descent.  And we have the GQP pulling back on the stick as hard as they can, making sure we stay in a deadly stall till the moment of impact. 

This is how the GQP wants the Republic to end.  If you aren't mentally prepared for the horrors that will come, you best get prepared.

Horrors? Even for wypipo?

10 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

If you're on the wrong side, yes.  Full-on fascism was less than fun for plenty of full-blooded Italians.

I remember the days when Italians weren't considered "white." My East Texas grandmother thought Joe Arpaio was like the Italian version of Clayton Bigsby.

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Goofyboy said:

How many Catholics will go evangelical? How many atheists? This will not come without the Bible being forced upon us.

Read this fascinating piece of journalism called "The Handmaids Tale."  Some folks mistakenly refer to it as a work of fiction.

3 hours ago, Goofyboy said:

How many Catholics will go evangelical? How many atheists? This will not come without the Bible being forced upon us.

I was surprised to learn just how many of these arch conservatives are atheists.

On 6/7/2022 at 4:55 PM, Blotto said:

U.S. Rep. Thomas Massie (R-KY) tweets a Christmas photo of his family holding guns

Missouri state senator explains gun toting Christmas card

Nevada politician says Merry Christmas -- with guns | CNN

State and National GOP elected officials. Totally normal. 

I honestly don't know if it's more cringe posing for a Christmas card all carrying guns or to be wearing matching outfits. 

I see that Del Rio already apologized but you can tell he's not really apologizing. He thinks Jan 6 was a peaceful protest.

"I made comments earlier today in referencing the attack that took place on the United States Capitol on January 6, 2021. Referencing that situation as a dust-up was irresponsible and negligent and I am sorry," Del Rio said in a statement posted on Twitter. "I stand by my comments condemning violence in communities across the country. I say that while also expressing my support as an American citizen for peaceful protest in our country. I have fully supported all peaceful protests in America.

• Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I see that Del Rio already apologized but you can tell he's not really apologizing. He thinks Jan 6 was a peaceful protest.

2 hours ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

someone got his little weewee slapped

Linda Del Rio regretted voting for Trump in 2016. Jack may be masturbating from the river for awhile.

• Like 1

Not to mention, people were prosecuted. In fact, they were so swiftly dealt with that I've represented several people where DAs office is using their prior conviction for looting in 2020 to enhance the sentence in their new case.

It's just not true that people were not arrested and prosecuted.

Edited by Foosters
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Fucking idiots. The difference is that any vandalism that occurred during mostly peaceful protests over the murder of George Floyd, and the ongoing killing by police of unarmed black people, was neither directed nor encouraged by any politician. And what we’ve seen in the past has been much worse. Consider the Watts riots or the riots after the Rodney King verdict.

What happened on 1/6/21 was directed by a sitting President hoping to overturn the results of a free and fair election. That’s a HUGE difference! Vandalism is a crime and should be treated as such. Trying to overturn American constitutional democracy is a much more serious offense. Anyone who tries to equate the two obviously gets their news from Fox and is essentially a traitor to our country. If you weren’t bothered by the insurrection then that says something. And if you support Donald Trump then then that’s a reflection on your character, or rather the lack thereof.

No decent person supports Donald Trump.

Property damage vs destroying democracy. Neither are good but Del Rio claims to love America while thinking property damage is worse.

I imagine anyone looking to debate him on 1/6 could stop him in his tracks within 1 minute. I wouldn't expect sports reporters to be prepared or even willing to get into a political debate with a coach. It's not that they couldn't but that's not what they're asked to do.

EDIT: Del Rio is an example of someone that has zero critical thinking skills but doesn't mind mouthing an opinion on something that he is clueless about. His radio talk shows and social media has told him that 1/6 was nothing more than a normal Capitol tour getting a bit out of hand.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Disagree. Decent people support him, but they are some combination of uneducated/brainwashed/gullible/stupid. 

I don’t think ignorant, gullible, brainwashed, or stupid makes someone a decent person. How much do you need to know in order to not support a liar, a cheat, a bully, and an overt bigot? I get it, a lot of bigotry is based on ignorance. But ignorance doesn’t excuse one’s bigotry, especially when it’s possible to learn that your outdated beliefs are wrong.

Anyone who supports Trump is tolerant of his bullying, his name calling, his racism and bigotry, his authoritarianism, his criminality, his lies (good lord he lies as easily as you and I breathe), his corruption, his incompetence, his abject stupidity. The results are in. Any decent person could see them. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2