2022 Texas Baseball

Balcones

2022 seems to be pretty bright. Draft will have an impact like every year, but the cupboard is full.  Having a good taste of Omaha, with the returning starters/contributors feels good. 

Ardoin, Faltine, Daly, Hodo, Hanson, Nixon, Witt, Duplantier, all return for sure. Maybe we’ll get lucky with one of the big bats returning too.

I haven’t felt this good about the next year in a long time. 

• Hook 'Em 7

C Ardoin

1B Kash

2B Daly

SS Faltine

3B Stehly

RF Hodo

CF Kennedy

LF Porter

DH Witt, Duplantier

UT Campbell, Ford, Geib

C Powell, Peter, Constantine

OF Wakefield, Whitehead

SP Witt, Hansen, Kubichek, Eckhardt, Stewart

P Merryman, Cobb, Walbridge, Wallace, Bryant, Lummus, Noah, Sthele, Grossman, Hutchins, Arthur, McKinney, OBanan, Harrison

RP Shifflet, Southard, Johnson, Duplantier, Gordon, Nixon

Will have to see who they lose to the draft.  Stewart is probably the only signee at risk.  Kennedy, Melendez, Williams, Stevens, and Quintanilla are not listed among the top 500 draft eligible prospects so there’s at least some chance they return.  Getting one of Melendez or Williams back would fill a big hole.   Both players could raise their stock but it likely wouldn’t result in much more money.  Transfer shopping list would be an OF, a power bat, and maybe a SP.

Edited by Snake Diggity
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

C Ardoin

1B Kash

2B Daly

SS Faltine

3B Campbell

RF Hodo

CF Kennedy

LF Porter

DH Witt, Duplantier

UT Stehly, Ford, Geib

OF Wakefield, Whitehead

P Merryman, Cobb, Walbridge, Wallace, Bryant, Lummus, Noah, Sthele, Grossman, Hutchins, Arthur, McKinney, OBanan, Harrison

Will have to see who they lose to the draft.  Stewart is probably the only signee at risk.  Kennedy, Melendez, Williams, Stevens, and Quintanilla are not listed among the top 500 draft eligible prospects so there’s at least some chance they return.  Getting one of Melendez or Williams back would fill a big hole.   Both players could raise their stock but it likely wouldn’t result in much more money.  Transfer shopping list would be an OF, a corner bat, and maybe a SP.

For The Boys Love That GIF by Barstool Sports

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, ClubWhatever said:

A bunch of those dudes on your list who didn’t play much will transfer

Mostly just the guys in the middle group of pitchers, and they can all be easily replaced/upgraded with transfers.  The backup infielders and catchers may bolt but same deal, they are not being counted on and can be easily back filled with transfers.

• Hook 'Em 1

I would think our true road series in non-conf. will be either BYU or an SEC team.  Possibly two series.  given that Houston tourney.

By order of conference finish, we host #2 TCU, #4 OK-State, #6 Baylor, #9 Kansas

Road conference series-#3 Texas Tech, #5 Oklahoma, #7 Kansas State, #8 West Virginia

I think a slightly truncated draft and later than usual draft signing deadline (8/1) will be a bigger factor than usual for some of our upperclassmen and some recruits.  

Should be a great year but an excruciating off-season.  

2 hours ago, Snake Diggity said:

C Ardoin

1B Kash

2B Daly

SS Faltine

3B Stehly

RF Hodo

CF Kennedy

LF Porter

DH Witt, Duplantier

UT Campbell, Ford, Geib

OF Wakefield, Whitehead

Will have to see who they lose to the draft.  Stewart is probably the only signee at risk.  Kennedy, Melendez, Williams, Stevens, and Quintanilla are not listed among the top 500 draft eligible prospects so there’s at least some chance they return.  Getting one of Melendez or Williams back would fill a big hole.   Both players could raise their stock but it likely wouldn’t result in much more money.  Transfer shopping list would be an OF, a power bat, and maybe a SP.

if that line up - especially pitching holds - I like our chances, a lot. Nixon with another year in the closer role could be special.

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

I would think our true road series in non-conf. will be either BYU or an SEC team.  Possibly two series.  given that Houston tourney.

By order of conference finish, we host #2 TCU, #4 OK-State, #6 Baylor, #9 Kansas

Road conference series-#3 Texas Tech, #5 Oklahoma, #7 Kansas State, #8 West Virginia

I think a slightly truncated draft and later than usual draft signing deadline (8/1) will be a bigger factor than usual for some of our upperclassmen and some recruits.  

Should be a great year but an excruciating off-season.  

I was excited about this year, but more about the possibilities, 2022 will be the first year in a long ass time we go into it with a "fuck yeah" attitude.  I can't wait.  can we just skip basketball season please?

3 minutes ago, troph said:

I was excited about this year, but more about the possibilities, 2022 will be the first year in a long ass time we go into it with a "fuck yeah" attitude.  I can't wait.  can we just skip basketball season please?

Basketball is gonna be surprisingly good.  Granted we gotta do it one more year in the morgue, but it's gonna be awesome.  Football will be much improved, but it's not gonna be the 11-3 season people are expecting.  But baseball is going to be just as special next season, gotta start jockeying for better seats.   

Edited by Lobo

20 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Basketball is gonna be surprisingly good.  Granted we gotta do it one more year in the morgue, but it's gonna be awesome.  Football will be much improved, but it's not gonna be the 11-3 season people are expecting.  But baseball is going to be just as special next season, gotta start jockeying for better seats.   

I played basketball it's just a hard game for me to watch.

2 hours ago, Snake Diggity said:

C Ardoin

1B Kash

2B Daly

SS Faltine

3B Stehly

RF Hodo

CF Kennedy

LF Porter

DH Witt, Duplantier

UT Campbell, Ford, Geib

OF Wakefield, Whitehead

So if Ivan returns I could see him as the full-time 1B. Am I off on that? Dunno much about the potential upcoming new guys. Any info on them is very much appreciated. Getting Cam or Ivan or even both of them back would be fantastic.

Edited by wood

57 minutes ago, wood said:

So if Ivan returns I could see him as the full-time 1B. Am I off on that? Dunno much about the potential upcoming new guys. Any info on them is very much appreciated. Getting Cam or Ivan or even both of them back would be fantastic.

I don’t know a ton about the new signees, but they only signed 3 position players.  Kash appears to be pretty good so it’s reasonable to project him in the lineup.  The 2 OF probably need a year to acclimate.  If Melendez comes back I would assume one of the incentives would be a chance to improve his defensive value so I’d guess hed play 3B or 1B.  Without getting one of Melendez/Williams back, the lineup looks pretty shallow.  Kennedy and Hodo are good hitters, and Ardoin, Daly, Stehly, and Faltine are fine in the 6-9 range.  Porter, Kash, and Campbell have pretty high upsides but I’d rather not have them represent the entire heart of the order.

Edited by Snake Diggity
  • Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, petscii said:

IN.

I'll start working on the schedule. 

Looks like March 4-6 will pit us against LSU, UCLA, and Oregon State at whatever they are calling the Astros stadium next year.

If we can get Williams back for another year....

The graphic I saw yesterday had Tennessee, not Oregon State.

3 hours ago, wood said:

Yeah I’d assume Ivan is coming back and he’ll play first. Getting him and Cam back would be huge. And I’m looking forward to a (hopefully) healthy Austin Todd. Would also like to see Powell and Campbell get more at bats. And the pitching speaks for itself. Gonna be another fun year 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I could swear that I saw a schedule that showed UCLA on it

UCLA is on it.  I was just showing the one that I used.

As of this moment it is :

Texas, Oklahoma, Baylor, UCLA, Tennessee, and LSU.  March 4-6. The Trashcan.

Now it will change again making me look stupid...

Edited by petscii

UCLA is on it.  I was just showing the one that I used.

As of this moment it is :

Texas, Oklahoma, Baylor, UCLA, Tennessee, and LSU.  March 4-6. The Trashcan.

Now it will change again making me look stupid...

Actually, you accomplished that with “trashcan”
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Balcones said:

Adding Melendez and Todd to the roster I posted above makes it a lineup with no holes.  

CF Kennedy

2B Daly

RF Todd

3B Melendez

LF Hodo

1B Kash

DH Powell

C Ardoin

SS Faltine

Bench: Campbell, Stehly, Whitehead, Porter

SP: Witt, Hansen, Gordon, Kubichek, Stewart, Eckhardt 

RP: Shifflet, Southard, Duplantier, Nixon 

Thats a STACKED roster.

Edited by Snake Diggity
  • Hook 'Em 1

Oh man. Nothing is more brutal than off-season college baseball. How often have our hearts been ripped out by the dreaded MLB draft? As usual I am going to try to keep all my dreams and optimism tempered a bit until fall ball starts...and probably fail miserably. 

In two short weeks much will be made clear. I understand the draft is only 20 rounds this year, is that true? I mean the pros still need enough players to fill out their rookie ball teams though so will there be a lot of undrafted free agent type signings? So a signee or older veteran might not get drafted and still go pro?

I don't know. I guess people more knowledgeable about these things will let me know what to look for this year.

1 minute ago, Valmy77 said:

Oh man. Nothing is more brutal than off-season college baseball. How often have our hearts been ripped out by the dreaded MLB draft? As usual I am going to try to keep all my dreams and optimism tempered a bit until fall ball starts...and probably fail miserably. 

In two short weeks much will be made clear. I understand the draft is only 20 rounds this year, is that true? I mean the pros still need enough players to fill out their rookie ball teams though so will there be a lot of undrafted free agent type signings? So a signee or older veteran might not get drafted and still go pro?

I don't know. I guess people more knowledgeable about these things will let me know what to look for this year.

First day of class is the line in the sand I worry about.

1 minute ago, petscii said:

First day of class is the line in the sand I worry about.

Yeah. Once Fall Ball starts is the point a wise fan would start paying attention.

But somehow I always end up watching all our top signees get drafted anyway like an idiot.

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Yeah. Once Fall Ball starts is the point a wise fan would start paying attention.

But somehow I always end up watching all our top signees get drafted anyway like an idiot.

It’s ok, I fall into that trap too. Get all hyped about a couple incoming guys and they sign. Still waiting on Josh Bell and Blake Swihart to get here

• Hook 'Em 2

8 hours ago, Balcones said:

Of the 2021 signees, Blinn College product Jace Hutchins is the most likely to contribute, featuring a 6’5, 220-pounder frame, a mid-90s fastball, and an impressive baseball pedigree as the son of the Texas A&M Director of Baseball Operations.

How did that happen? Surprised an aggy athletics employee would let their kid anywhere near Austin.

7 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

Most MLB orgs have reduced their number of minor league teams.  There are no more short season A ball or Rookie level leagues.  Teams now only have the 4 full season rosters plus the spring training complex league and the Dominican complex league.  I think a few teams will field extra complex league teams but most have 2 fewer rosters than before.  So all that is to say I don’t think there will be a huge number of additional guys getting UDFA deals.