2022 Texas Baseball

Balcones

On 6/28/2021 at 12:01 AM, Fletch said:

It’s ok, I fall into that trap too. Get all hyped about a couple incoming guys and they sign. Still waiting on Josh Bell and Blake Swihart to get here

Was Bell the kid that signed the day before classes started? I remember following that all summer and thinking we were going to get this kid on campus only to get my heart ripped out on the last possible day. 

30 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

Was Bell the kid that signed the day before classes started? I remember following that all summer and thinking we were going to get this kid on campus only to get my heart ripped out on the last possible day. 

Yes

1 hour ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

They set a record for highest signing bonus given to a second round pick. That was painful. 

Signing deadline is 15 August.  Any Longhorn (or recruit) has until then to decide if they like their draft offer.  Most will take it.  But it's later than usual this year and there's no short-season or instructional league play after the deadline.  So a late rounder with very little in the way of signing bonus...not much leverage in holding out---and you're gonna get rusty with nowhere official to play.  In years past by August 15th you were already signed, sealed, and playing in your first assigned league, maybe even on your way to getting bumped up to Low A or High A for the organization to have a quick look at you.  

And Texas matriculation is on 25 August.  So a little bit of good news, if a guy doesn't like his offer---he can turn right around and come back to campus and workout/register for classes/etc. without skipping much of a beat.  I bet 1 or 2 come back.  Not sure about the recruits though.  

On 6/30/2021 at 7:18 AM, Pescado_Rojo said:

The story I've heard (from a player on the team at the time)  is the only piece of furniture he had in his room all summer was a mattress.  He was always leaving but him and his family put on the show for leverage.  Based off the bonus he signed, I'd say it worked. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Pimphand said:

The 'Ha he coached us to was fucking headscratching inability to pull struggling pitchers twice which ultimately cost us #7

Let it go man. I am sure you could rip apart every coach's performance somewhere in the NCAA playoffs at some point.

• Hook 'Em 2

13 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Let it go man. I am sure you could rip apart every coach's performance somewhere in the NCAA playoffs at some point.

Yeah there was some truly awful coaching in Omaha this year. That extra inning game Vanderbilt and zona played was fucking painful. Seemed like both managers were actively seeking out the worst option to the situation at hand. Is Pierce the best coach in America? No. Is there anyone I’d trade him for right now? No we’ll get ours. Just keep punching those tickets to Omaha and the ball will drop our way one of these years 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Pimphand said:

The 'Ha he coached us to was fucking headscratching inability to pull struggling pitchers twice which ultimately cost us #7

And he helped Ivan get back on track, which got us through another elimination game.

53 minutes ago, OU Sucks said:

And he helped Ivan get back on track, which got us through another elimination game.

And recruited and coached up the entire fucking team. This is insane. Anyone not excited about the future or being a bitch about a non pitching change can fuck off. Augie and Skip had their head scratching moments with pitchers too. Same with every coach ever. We’re gonna be fine 

• Hook 'Em 6

Guest Lobo

Best of luck to these three gentlemen and thanks for their time on campus with the program.  

Surprising for Wallace as he was very honed in with the biology department/program at UT.  

Somewhere in this thread before Fall Ball, we'll need a numbers breakdown of post-Covid roster spots/transfers/etc.

17 hours ago, ztejas said:

I don't like this phrasing. What's the read on whether he's staying or not? 

Screenshot_20210707-172414_Instagram.thumb.jpg.1487a862e7910630ec9a8aa976d11a5a.jpg

His draft prospects probably aren’t great, but it seems unlikely he’d stay another year. He graduated HS in 2016. 

Edited by Burt Macklin

Guest Lobo

Quit trying to make the Oma' happen.  It's not going to happen! 

It really is a clumsy sounding word.  But it's our second campus.  It's our crazy bitch by the river.  And I want to go back..we need to go back Kate!  

14 hours ago, Lobo said:

Quit trying to make the Oma' happen.  It's not going to happen! 

It really is a clumsy sounding word.  But it's our second campus.  It's our crazy bitch by the river.  And I want to go back..we need to go back Kate!  

so Oma ha-ppen?

3 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

Occupy LF thinks Austin Todd could be returning. 

If Todd returns and Williams bounces I would expect Campbell to play 3B. Campbell was a SS in high school and Texas needs to get his bat in the lineup. 

Todd has been pretty open about wanting to come back. Dude deserves a fully healthy year. I don’t see how Williams could improve his pro prospects so he’s probably gone. Unless he’s mother fucking pissed about now winning it all ( @ztejas you still have that screenshot?) Campbell at 3rd and Melendez taking over for Zubia at first would be ideal. Wait can Zubia come back? Kind of hope he doesn’t. Need a fresh face at first and time for him to give the minors a shot