2022 Texas Baseball

Balcones

25 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I don’t know how that rotation order goes and really I don’t care.  Any order is filthy.  And we hopefully replace cole Q with duplantier and don’t miss a beat in the pen either. 

Nixon/Duplantier/Southard top 3 BP arms next year?  Anybody coming in that could be a high leverage RP?  Be interesting to see if Gordon is a Tuesday starter or a lefty BP guy.

1 minute ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Nixon/Duplantier/Southard top 3 BP arms next year?  Anybody coming in that could be a high leverage RP?  Be interesting to see if Gordon is a Tuesday starter or a lefty BP guy.

Joshua Stewart in this recruiting class. 

They will probably use him much like Witt last season. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

SIAP, but....when's the last day for a player that is drafted to decide if he's leaving or returning to school?

Also, who will be our mid-inning relievers and bad-ass closer next year?

Wasn't there a high-level pitching  recruit who was hurt all of 2020? Sthele?

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, texasstrong12 said:

I think that's a shocker for some at Texas. Occupy LF (who is close with Stevens and his family) thought for sure he was gone. 

Those dumbasses can't be bothered to police the schmuck with the air horn, I'm not going to trust them on stuff like this.

38 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Top three guys to throw Batting Practice?  I hope not.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, zlavydra said:

Wasn't there a high-level pitching  recruit who was hurt all of 2020? Sthele?

Yeah, McComas said that Stehle and Lummus had UCL surgery, so hopefully they'll be back this year. Lebarron Johnson and Jace Hutchins are both intriguing guys that could make some noise. We'll be pretty young in the bullpen, but there's enough talent there that I think at least one of them breaks out. My guess as of now would be Hansen/Stevens/Witt for the weekend, Stewart mid-week, and Gordon, Nixon, and Hutchins first in relief. 

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

Right before class starts I think.

First day of class is August 26th,   but a student can still drop/flunk/expel themselves before opening day.   Every year players at fall practice are not on the spring roster.

2 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

I think that's a shocker for some at Texas. Occupy LF (who is close with Stevens and his family) thought for sure he was gone. 

The Stevens family probably said that to get those weirdos away from them

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

Tristan Stevens just announced he's returning on Twitter.

I've never been so happy to be wrong. 

We're fucking loaded. 

Hah! I knew it! If we can keep getting better on offense we will be hard to stop next year. Stevens-Hansen-Witt-Gordon-Stewart we will be the only college team with a legit 5 man rotation.

3 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

Per Occupy LF Kubichek is gone. 

Not surprising with the Stevens news. I couldn't see him returning without a weekend rotation spot open. 

I figured he was gone anyway. Good for him.

Edit: Damn. Is it February yet?

Edited by Valmy77
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 7/13/2021 at 5:51 PM, DoneWithit said:

Cam, Melendez and Antico were pretty good gets from the transfer market. According to PG, Daly was a 250ish prospect (Freshman all-American), Aaron Nixon a 221 prospect (freshman all-American), Hodo a 500 prospect, and Silas was a 470 prospect. These were guys off the top of my head (I’m sure there’s some I’m missing) that I felt contributed in a positive way and will end up outperforming their initial prospect rating. Pierce has his style of recruiting consisting of finding good transfers and athletic prospects with high potential, I.e. Nixon. I agree that Pierce needs to be more aggressive in the elite prospect recruitments since he’s shown the ability to get to Omaha twice now. Prospects are going to have the opportunity to play for arguably the best program in history, have a well respected and proven pitching coach, MLB HOF defensive coach, and the ability to make good money with NIL. Pierce really needs to push the latter with the top prospects. 

I think Pierce has done well.  Maybe it's some luck.  But, Texas Baseball had declined in prestige for a while.  I'm not sure hitters really wanted to come here.  Maybe anyone but pitchers.

Now that we're re-establishing a foothold among the current (as opposed to historical) elite, maybe that will turn around.

With Stevens coming back the starting pitching is pretty set.  Witt-Hansen-Stevens on the weekend with Gordon, Stewart, and Eckhardt as the other starters.  Nixon, Southard, and Duplantier would be the main bullpen arms with the rest of the staff vying for the remaining ~50 in-season innings.

54 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

With Stevens coming back the starting pitching is pretty set.  Witt-Hansen-Stevens on the weekend with Gordon, Stewart, and Eckhardt as the other starters.  Nixon, Southard, and Duplantier would be the main bullpen arms with the rest of the staff vying for the remaining ~50 in-season innings.

Good Lord, that is an elite pitching staff. This team is going to be really fucking good. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I guess it’s time to start making reservation in Omaha

I decided after leaving this year's CWS that I was going for the whole fucking thing next year. 

Already have 11 nights booked at Residence Inn downtown. 

It's gonna be a party. 

• Hook 'Em 2

It's a small sample (6 games) but Dylan Campbell is hitting .429 in the CCL. 2 HR, 1 triple, 2 doubles. 
He's gonna have to find a spot in the lineup somewhere. 

LF sure feels like the spot if IF is full. Even with his speed and fielding, EK would need to take a big step forward to stay in the lineup.

22 hours ago, Spaceman_Spiff said:

Yeah, McComas said that Stehle and Lummus had UCL surgery, so hopefully they'll be back this year. Lebarron Johnson and Jace Hutchins are both intriguing guys that could make some noise. We'll be pretty young in the bullpen, but there's enough talent there that I think at least one of them breaks out. My guess as of now would be Hansen/Stevens/Witt for the weekend, Stewart mid-week, and Gordon, Nixon, and Hutchins first in relief. 

Did L. Johnson redshirt? Pretty sure he never sniffed the mound last year.

16 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

Good Lord, that is an elite pitching staff. This team is going to be really fucking good. 

Can't wait to see what Witt has after an off-season of work. That game against Tennessee I think (correct me if I'm wrong) where he went like 5 innings was a nice preview. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

No clue but Lebarron Johnson is throwing gas in his summer league. Saw that he's hitting 96 to 97. 

He has a 0.93 ERA in 9.2 innings pitched out of the pen. 

We're loaded. 

Can someone explain how Sean Allen is such a magician? He hadn’t been a pitching coach since 2011 at UCF, he changes roles in 2020 and basically our entire staff top to bottom shows huge improvement. 

15 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

I laughed. They're over the top sometimes but Stevens dad is very close with a couple of the occupylf members. 

Gotta admit they are weirdos.  They don’t even come into the f’n stadium.  Will give  them credit for traveling: they were in OKC & Omaha.