2022 Texas Baseball

Balcones

21 minutes ago, ERhine said:

The shirt also clearly says Oklahoma City.

Yeah, what the fuck is up with that?  Is it like a Big XII Tourney/NCAA Tourney-CWS shirt all in one?  

57 minutes ago, Horny Bull said:

Former Longhorn Thomas Burbank gets the Sunday start for the Owls:

Burbank transferred to San Jac after 1 year for PT.    Transferred to Rice to play with is younger brother (infielder).   Starter for SanJac,  good stats.

NJCAA

Capture.PNG  bz.PNG

Edited by torre

2 hours ago, StassneyHorn said:

I am ready

Hoping for a good number of students there with free admission the whole weekend. Texas Iron Spikes and Texas Lassos are having a big tailgate and handing out free shirts to first 250 students. first 400 get pizza inside. 

I wonder if my old student id will still pass for this :D 

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Fletch said:

And gentlemen, this time tomorrow we’re gonna be kicking the fuck out of Rice to start off what’s going to be an epic season   Time to show Texas baseball is back and here to fucking stay

Hopefully Jose Cruz Jr. won't get frustrated when he starts his coaching career 0-3.

• Hook 'Em 1

Let’s get this shit started. See y’all there this weekend. Taking the sign of new arms breaking in as a good one - this is a really talented group so I love to hear the new guys are making waves.

Reading between the lines, sounds like tempering expectations on Kash? I had him mentally slotted as a 6/7 DH lefty with some pop. Hoping he plays, but may not be instant impact. Curious about the lineup. Last year showed that a lineup of solid guys can be damn good at scoring runs and better than 1/2 stars with deadweight around them. But we need to find a power bat outside Melendez, especially without the speed to manufacture like we did last year. Antico, Williams, and Zubia covered a lot of issues in developing power. Pierce needs to get it more consistently in the lineup. I know Kennedy is fast, finished strong, and Pierce loves his vets but I badly want Campbell to push him to OF bench/platoon. Would love to see Faltine, Hodo, or Ardoin pull a Hamilton and emerge as genuine leaders with the bat. Felt like each were just one piece away from putting it all together, so I’m itching to see what they do this year.

Team is stacked, schedule is great, and energy is high. Let’s kick some ass.

34 minutes ago, Spaceman_Spiff said:

Let’s get this shit started. See y’all there this weekend. Taking the sign of new arms breaking in as a good one - this is a really talented group so I love to hear the new guys are making waves.

Reading between the lines, sounds like tempering expectations on Kash? I had him mentally slotted as a 6/7 DH lefty with some pop. Hoping he plays, but may not be instant impact. Curious about the lineup. Last year showed that a lineup of solid guys can be damn good at scoring runs and better than 1/2 stars with deadweight around them. But we need to find a power bat outside Melendez, especially without the speed to manufacture like we did last year. Antico, Williams, and Zubia covered a lot of issues in developing power. Pierce needs to get it more consistently in the lineup. I know Kennedy is fast, finished strong, and Pierce loves his vets but I badly want Campbell to push him to OF bench/platoon. Would love to see Faltine, Hodo, or Ardoin pull a Hamilton and emerge as genuine leaders with the bat. Felt like each were just one piece away from putting it all together, so I’m itching to see what they do this year.

Team is stacked, schedule is great, and energy is high. Let’s kick some ass.

Don’t worry about Campbell. He’ll start. Whether it’s dh or right, he’ll be in the everyday lineup. Zubia was a solid 1st baseman, but he’s replaceable. Don’t worry about homers this year dude. Daly, Campbell, hodo, Messinger, Todd and when he’s hot, Kennedy are double machines with a decent amount of power. Expecting hodo, Campbell, Messinger, Todd, Daly and Kennedy to hit about 20-25 homers from that group. Then Melendez will provide the real power. Silas and faltine should improve at the plate. Stehly should get a decent amount of ab’s. He’s another gap to gap dude. The aggy transfer, vandy transfer, Powell and the freshman we have will provide depth. This is going to be like our 2014 team if the 2014 team had a legit hitting coach. Oh and we have a pitcher or two. We’re set for years dude. We’re about to go on a run 

Edited by Fletch
  • Hook 'Em 1

I’m stoned and bored. Any guesses on starting lineup? 
1.Kennedy(LF)

2.Daly(2nd)

3. Todd(RF)

4. Melendez (1st)

5. Hodo(CF)

6. Campbell(DH)

7. Messinger (3rd)

8. Silas (C)

9. Faltine (SS)

Obviously Hansen on the mound. Pierce has always started off semi slow in ooc. Throwing everyone in seeing who’s got it and who doesn’t. Would’ve be surprised to be like 4-6 games about .500 come conference play then we turn it up and end up like 19-5 or better in big 12 play while going hopefully 9-0 in our pretty solid mid week games. God damn Texas baseball being an elite program just feels right  

• Hook 'Em 2

19 minutes ago, Fletch said:

I’m stoned and bored. Any guesses on starting lineup? 
1.Kennedy(LF)

2.Daly(2nd)

3. Todd(RF)

4. Melendez (1st)

5. Hodo(CF)

6. Campbell(DH)

7. Messinger (3rd)

8. Silas (C)

9. Faltine (SS)

Obviously Hansen on the mound. Pierce has always started off semi slow in ooc. Throwing everyone in seeing who’s got it and who doesn’t. Would’ve be surprised to be like 4-6 games about .500 come conference play then we turn it up and end up like 19-5 or better in big 12 play while going hopefully 9-0 in our pretty solid mid week games. God damn Texas baseball being an elite program just feels right  

Would like to see…

1. Todd

2. Daly 

3. Campbell

4. Melendez

5. Hodo

6. Messinger

7. Faltine

8. Silas

9. Kennedy

I think you could flip Faltine and Kennedy either way but I like that top 6

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, OB3 said:

Would like to see…

1. Todd

2. Daly 

3. Campbell

4. Melendez

5. Hodo

6. Messinger

7. Faltine

8. Silas

9. Kennedy

I think you could flip Faltine and Kennedy either way but I like that top 6

Both my and your lineup are the 2 most likely to start tomorrow. And yeah agreed with Kennedy. He was kind of a weapon back there. Feel like we should start Campbell around the 5 hole but he should make his way to the 3 hole. His swing reminds of Curtis Thigpen. Similar swing and they both have that gap to gap with 7-10 or so homers. 

But dude Kennedy killed it in the tournament last year. He’s always been streaky but last postseason gave me some long term confidence in him. Not to mention his speed at the top of the lineup with his drag bunting ability is damn near perfect. Shit I actually wouldn’t mind having Daly lead off with Kennedy in the 2hole. Daly gets on base then we have arguably the best bunter in the country who’s fast as fuck. That’d be some serious pressure on the opponent 

With what I stated above, yeah, those 2 leading off the Campbell batting 3dd, Melendez 4th, todd 5th, Messinger 6th hodo 7th, then Silas or faltine  at 8 and 9. More I think about it, Faltine would be an ideal 9hole guy to flip the lineup order.

Silas and Faltine HAVE to give us some more at the plate. If Faltine and Hodo had an ops around the .885 mark, we’d be golden 

Messinger, Stehly, Campbell and maybe  Kash be batting it out at 3rd like all year. That transfer from Vanderbilt doesn’t seem like he’s gonna play much but weirder things have happened. 

But man Hansen-Stevens-Witt then maybe Cobb or Stewart or Gordon and some all staff during midweek game. Then we got Hutchins, Blair,  Southard, Duplantier and Nixon to shut it down 

@Lobo any word on that vandy transfer and how he’s lookin?

7 hours ago, Fletch said:

Both my and your lineup are the 2 most likely to start tomorrow. And yeah agreed with Kennedy. He was kind of a weapon back there. Feel like we should start Campbell around the 5 hole but he should make his way to the 3 hole. His swing reminds of Curtis Thigpen. Similar swing and they both have that gap to gap with 7-10 or so homers. 

But dude Kennedy killed it in the tournament last year. He’s always been streaky but last postseason gave me some long term confidence in him. Not to mention his speed at the top of the lineup with his drag bunting ability is damn near perfect. Shit I actually wouldn’t mind having Daly lead off with Kennedy in the 2hole. Daly gets on base then we have arguably the best bunter in the country who’s fast as fuck. That’d be some serious pressure on the opponent 

With what I stated above, yeah, those 2 leading off the Campbell batting 3dd, Melendez 4th, todd 5th, Messinger 6th hodo 7th, then Silas or faltine  at 8 and 9. More I think about it, Faltine would be an ideal 9hole guy to flip the lineup order.

Silas and Faltine HAVE to give us some more at the plate. If Faltine and Hodo had an ops around the .885 mark, we’d be golden 

Messinger, Stehly, Campbell and maybe  Kash be batting it out at 3rd like all year. That transfer from Vanderbilt doesn’t seem like he’s gonna play much but weirder things have happened. 

But man Hansen-Stevens-Witt then maybe Cobb or Stewart or Gordon and some all staff during midweek game. Then we got Hutchins, Blair,  Southard, Duplantier and Nixon to shut it down 

@Lobo any word on that vandy transfer and how he’s lookin?

Gonna miss Antico and Cam Williams (not his inconsistency) but just for having more lefties in the lineup. That’s why I hope Kash can eventually bring it 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, OB3 said:

Gonna miss Antico and Cam Williams (not his inconsistency) but just for having more lefties in the lineup. That’s why I hope Kash can eventually bring it 

Cam Williams may not have received the credit he deserved for providing leadership and maturity to a young team.    He loved Texas and played like he loved Texas.   I will miss him.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, torre said:

Cam Williams may not have received the credit he deserved for providing leadership and maturity to a young team.    He loved Texas and played like he loved Texas.   I will miss him.

I am sad that we did not get 3 years of him...  

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, OB3 said:

I’ve been asking this for years but why doesn’t Powell get more ab’s? He’s shown some power and he’d help our lack of lefties in the batting order 

55 minutes ago, Fletch said:

I’ve been asking this for years but why doesn’t Powell get more ab’s? He’s shown some power and he’d help our lack of lefties in the batting order 

I mean it’s a good problem to have but who are you gonna take off the field for him?